The Look of the games

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh come on - you expected street wear?

I don't mean "street wear" the way you do. I mean everyday clothing that someone might actually wear to work or a corporate event. I'm guessing you mean clothing "from the street". I think it's an American English/ British English thing.

I like the colour and the podiums. The outfits? Hmm. Yeah, Trekkie uniforms, 60s flight attendants ... all are apt. I was thinking Thunderbirds as well - and that's classic British!I I wouldn't go as far as saying not good, but, well, London just loves throwing out these left of field design and retro-ish design and look touches.

The outfits are ok. A sporty tank top esque neckline would have gone a long way in making them more sleeker and more in line with the rest of the 2012 feel I think. And are those zippers? If so, I like that they have included athletic details like that. McCartney should have designed them though; her work always has the right amount of sport and athleticism without loosing elegance and everyday wearability. I look forward to seeing what she'll do with Team GB's ceremonies outfit.

The purple is nice. Regal and neutral but still edgy. Though I've always thought that medal podiums should just be like Sydney's. Feels right.

And I really do worry how monotonous some venues will be if everything branded will predominantly be purple.

Did people see what the national theatre did as the flotilla passed with Joey from war horse. It was wonderful

The mini show put up by the National Theatre was brilliant, I was watching right across the river at Embankment and it brought smiles and laughter to everyone. The crowd around me was great and joyous, they broke out singing God Save The Queen a few times and when her barge went by, also Jerusalem which really sent me goosebumps when sung in such big group crowding together. It felt really moving, made me think how it will be like if Jerusalem is sung in the opening ceremony.

Otherwise, if I'm being honest, I found the whole river pageant itself a bit of a damp squib. Overhyped and not quite the spectacle I was expecting. More than half the crowd left right after the Royal Barge passed by, when there's still a whole lot of flotilla behind her. Hope tonight's concert is better

London looked and felt fabulous on Sunday by the Thames - so much enthusiasm and so good-natured despite the rain and the massive crowds. I was down near the Tate Modern and it was a lot of fun. Lots of Olympic chatter too with people discussing what tickets they had or hadn't got (hadn't for the most part sadly) and where they planned on watching some of the big events. And even spoke to a woman besides us who has made some of the costumes for the Opening Ceremony. Wouldn't give any more details other than that it was going to look spectacular...

Didn't see the War Horse bit live so thanks for the video - it is very very well done! And a lovely reaction from the Queen to Joey!

canaletto1747.jpg

This is the Panting that inspired it .

And that’s exactly what it was like.

All the Gondolas and rowing boats looked absolutely stunning.

All the tall ships were at tower bridge,

I don’t know how the oarsman road that far, but they didn’t let anyone down.

I think they rowed all the way to the west India dock.

There were also boats used in Dunkirk and some of my faverouts were the steam boats.

I wussed out and watched it on the tele. But it was a fantastic sight to see the River teeming with boats and a great celebration of Her Majesty's 60 years on the throne. Thanks for the photos Tower Bridge Fox!

Not quite yet SwissO, we're on a four day weekend here for the Jubilee. Big concert at the Palace tonight and balcony appearence, parade and flypasts tomorrow.

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/central-weekend

Wednesday will be the day the bunting starts coming down and that's when they can start putting up the Olympic stuff!

Wednesday will be the day the bunting starts coming down and that's when they can start putting up the Olympic stuff!

And it's 50 days to go on Thursday which seems like a good PR opportunity to start dressing the city.

Just got back from the Diamond Jubilee concert. We were at the Mall and can I say personally i feel today's event is 100x better than yesterday's river pageant. Good weather aside, there is such a sense of joyous celebration and the patriotism on display is simply electrifying. More than a quarter million people partying on the Mall waving Union Jacks, what an incredible atmosphere.

It made me wonder if there is any single event even during the Olympics that can comand such collective, patriotic celebration in such number. Unless they organised similar public live screening and party during the opening ceremony, otherwise I really doubt anything can top this. It is an absolutely brilliant night.

I also like to add how impressed I am with the crowd control the police and volunteers have demonstrated over the past two days. Plenty of them along the route to train stations and really helpful in pointing/ giving directions to the crowd. Even in train stations the crowd was dispersed quickly with frequent train service. I have no doubt London's transport and police/ volunteer can cope with further crowd during the Games. These jubilee events are practically dry run for them.

Just got back from the Diamond Jubilee concert. We were at the Mall and can I say personally i feel today's event is 100x better than yesterday's river pageant. Good weather aside, there is such a sense of joyous celebration and the patriotism on display is simply electrifying. More than a quarter million people partying on the Mall waving Union Jacks, what an incredible atmosphere.

It made me wonder if there is any single event even during the Olympics that can comand such collective, patriotic celebration in such number. Unless they organised similar public live screening and party during the opening ceremony, otherwise I really doubt anything can top this. It is an absolutely brilliant night.

I also like to add how impressed I am with the crowd control the police and volunteers have demonstrated over the past two days. Plenty of them along the route to train stations and really helpful in pointing/ giving directions to the crowd. Even in train stations the crowd was dispersed quickly with frequent train service. I have no doubt London's transport and police/ volunteer can cope with further crowd during the Games. These jubilee events are practically dry run for them.

I have NO doubt London will handle all the logistics beautifully.

I also am back from the Diamond Jubilee Concert...I was lucky enough to be in the Seating jut off to the left of the middle of the centre stage.

I have to say if the public are this patriotic at the games and show the sense of national pride that was on show then London 2012 is gonna be amazing. During the Picnic I noticed a lot of people wearing Team GB clothing, and almost every single person had a Union Flag...This is definately the start of a great summer, that will stamp GREAT into Great Britain.

Sooooooooooooo amazing...everyone was buzzing about the Jubilee and then chatting about how exciting it was to do the same in a couple of months for the Olympics!!

I also have to agree with Kevzz, the logistics and crowd control by all the poice and stewards was amazing, felt very safe and well planned out, this I think was a major test for the Olympic organizers, and a few lessons will be taken from this...Lord Coe was there so i'm sure he was taking notes.

I have to say if the public are this patriotic at the games and show the sense of national pride that was on show then London 2012 is gonna be amazing. During the Picnic I noticed a lot of people wearing Team GB clothing, and almost every single person had a Union Flag...This is definately the start of a great summer, that will stamp GREAT into Great Britain.

I agree, I hope it will have a very positive impact. I sometimes feel ambivalent about British identity but am feeling much more positive already. I bought a Union Flag and can't wait for the Olympics. One point though, earlier Mark Foster talked about England's chances in the Olympics and I heard someone on the radio talking about representing England in the Olympics. I complained to the BBC, it is absolutely vital that they don't talk about England rather than Great Britain and guests need to be aware of that as well as presenters.

it is absolutely vital that they don't talk about England rather than Great Britain and guests need to be aware of that as well as presenters.

I did hear one member of the public being interviewed yesterday who corrected herself to say Britain. I agree that it should be Team GB, Britain over any of the specific nations of GB and Union flags being flown BUT I do think when it's a genuine error, it can make us look a little petty. I say this as a Scot; when they do it, it narks me but I've come to realise that for the most part it's unintentional - and I'm not sure I entirely want to give up my right to wave my Saltire at key moments.

I did hear one member of the public being interviewed yesterday who corrected herself to say Britain. I agree that it should be Team GB, Britain over any of the specific nations of GB and Union flags being flown BUT I do think when it's a genuine error, it can make us look a little petty. I say this as a Scot; when they do it, it narks me but I've come to realise that for the most part it's unintentional - and I'm not sure I entirely want to give up my right to wave my Saltire at key moments.

I just think the BBC need to properly brief guests and presenters that they can't say England. Random people talking in the crowd are one thing but athletes should know better and the radio was a pre-recorded documentary which just isn't acceptable.

Anyway, back on topic, I am confident that London will look incredible for the Olympics. Seeing the London Eye lit up in red white and blue the other night was incredible and just wandering around gives me a huge sense of anticipation.

I just think the BBC need to properly brief guests and presenters that they can't say England. Random people talking in the crowd are one thing but athletes should know better and the radio was a pre-recorded documentary which just isn't acceptable.

NO. That is NOT cool to correct your guests. This whole England-Great Britain -UK- Magic Kingdom business is ENTIRELY your own convoluted business. Don't make it others'. I mean...you have 4 teams in Football but only 1 in the Olympics...who can't understand that whole arrangement? :wacko: If visitors want to take the time to learn it, then let them. Otherwise, let it go. It is UNINTENTIONAL and don't get so supersensitive about it.

Archived