The Look of the games

That video game preview features a rather tall exterior cauldron that seems to be competing for attention with the Orbit.. I wonder how close that video game cauldron is to what the real one will look like? Did the video game designers have access to any LOGOG materials about it? If they did not than folks playing the game after the opening ceremony would likely notice it not being accurate right away...

On a related not has there been any info about cauldron construction yet? Diagrams or blueprints? Evidence of site prep?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The purple in the stadium looks fantastic. I already liked the colour when they unveiled the medals (as you know, they use purple for the ribbons), but now I even love it. It looks so regal and also so warm and cosy. It fits very well into the intimate design of the Olympic Stadium.

And by the way: The Social Democratic Party of Germany, the SPD, has discovered purple as a trend colour. Since their party conference last December, their corporate design is now based on purple, when it was based on blue, for some time beige, and of course always the traditional red in the past:

http://www.spd.de/aktuelles/

Scores of bright purple Olympic information kiosks will be set up around the capital to help tourists get to the Games events.

The design was unveiled today of the first booth - nicknamed a BorisPod - which will be situated outside the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. Others will be placed at main railway stations and tourist hotspots.

Up to 8,000 uniformed volunteers known as London Ambassadors will work at the pods dispensing tourist and travel information.

The booths will typically be in place for two months during the Olympics and Paralympics. They have been designed to conform with the London 2012 "Look and Feel" in colours dictated by Games chiefs.

Booths will have an interactive touch-screen area for visitors, rest areas for volunteers and a section to accommodate VIPs.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-olympics/article-24033853-whats-purple-all-over-its-a-2012-borispod.do

boris-pod-33069.jpg

I noticed a shot of this pub features in a commercial running at the moment.

Though no one would ever guess that this is just outside the Olympic park at Hackney wick station.

But don’t panic.

I am excited to find out how these illustrious buildings will be dressed up for the games

I’m hoping they paint it in really colourful graffiti.

I can really see the urban street culture theme working if London can pull it off

It should be very exciting.

6857764915_6124ab4cba_b.jpg

I noticed a shot of this pub features in a commercial running at the moment.

Though no one would ever guess that this is just outside the Olympic park at Hackney wick station.

But don’t panic.

I am excited to find out how these illustrious buildings will be dressed up for the games

I’m hoping they paint it in really colourful graffiti.

I can really see the urban street culture theme working if London can pull it off

It should be very exciting.

6857764915_6124ab4cba_b.jpg

Eww... "urban street culture' in any society = bleh... ALthough the worst parts of London don't hold a candle to the nicest parts of Detroit... LOL

Basic in what way?

Graphically its extremely simple. Intersecting lines. Nothing exciting or memorable about it. I would say it's more than plain. It's bland. The problem here isn't money, it's lack of vision. Extremely disappointing. I'm due London will do many things well, but their visual identity certainly isn't one of them. Unimaginative and dull.

Auto correct. Aargh. Read "I'm sure London will do many things well..."

I was kind of expecting something abit more similar to the branding for the Liverpool Culture Capital design. I know, a completely different kind of event, but I still noticed it when I was in Liverpool last summer. There is a big wrap opposite the Lime St Station and it looks fantastic. It's very urban, something which I thought London would have.

In saying that, I think the existing look will definitely do the job it needs to do, and I think it will look good on tv.

I do agree that the look will suffice. It will add some color and dress the city. But it's still pretty forgettable.

For me, an Olympic Look is one of the ultimate design projects. It only comes around rarely and is an opportunity to turn a whole city into a vibrant, celebratory environment. Why do something so basic and ho-hum rather than seizing the opportunity? Especially in a country with so much fantastic design....

For me this look is so generic that it suggests the Brits don't have a strong sense of who they are or what they want to showcase. I don't think that's true of the whole country, but I think it's true of whoever has been making the aesthetic choices.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks incredibly fresh and refreshing. I think those are the best words for it. It looks really clean and to the point. Very much liking it.

It doesn't have the detailed artistic beauty of what Vancouver pulled off, nor the strking contrasts of Athens' look, but it does have a simplicity that makes it unique and very recognisable. It just seems to work, at least if this trailer is anything to go by.

It's certainly a step-up from what we saw in Beijing which was a wishy-washy mish-mash of forgettable colours. And it's better than Sydney's all-blue scheme too. I'm starting to think it could be as good as Athens', which I loved. We'll have to see...

I didn't care for Sydney or Beijing. Athens was gorgeous. London isn't going to come close to that. No chance.

The London look is utilitarian. It will decorate the city and get some color up. That's about it. It's not at all memorable or distinctive. The all purple stadium doesn't thrill me at all....

The lack of innovation may be a result of the backlash against the logos "uniqueness". The games are not open yet so there is time to reveal something more meaningful.

Let's see the cauldron!

Problem is I keep waiting for each new reveal to pull it all together, maybe it's just all too big to make a unified statement.

The pictures and things I've seen of LA84 made is one of my favorite looks though it so old. It was the color combinations and the imaginative applications.

The lack of innovation may be a result of the backlash against the logos "uniqueness". The games are not open yet so there is time to reveal something more meaningful.

Let's see the cauldron!

Problem is I keep waiting for each new reveal to pull it all together, maybe it's just all too big to make a unified statement.

The pictures and things I've seen of LA84 made is one of my favorite looks though it so old. It was the color combinations and the imaginative applications.

I loved 84's look. It was the first "look" to be described as such and really did transform the city. It was very 80's, but at the time it felt very cool. I've got the official report (2 mammoth volumes) with lots of pics. LA and Athens are definitely my faves.

I suspect you're right about the logo, Paul. It didn't get things off to s great start and limited their options design wise. I can see why they'd play it safe.

I think you can see on the first velodrome image. The look is actually pretty clever. It looks simple with the use of bold colour and shards in a contrast colour to pop out. But then theres also another more subtle layer of lines creating the shards with patches of light and shade.

It really does answer their brief when they were worried the vancouver look was too busy. I think this is a pretty good approach. From a distance it certainly isn't busy, but up close it reveals a depth to it. Good job London.

The stadium and the Velodrom look nice, but - as Athensfan said - nothing really special and just nice. In Athens 2004, the city, the venues, the Uniforms,the publications just looked stunning - what a brilliant branding that was. Anytime I walked through the city or through Olympic Park, I just was stunned and facinated. I have never seen before such an well integrated look of the games.

I also still like the Munich 1972 Branding. Otl Aicher did a fantastic job, using a light blue, a light green, white and silver as the four main colours and although this branding is more than 40 years old it is still modern and unique.

London did a lousy job so far. It started with the Logo. The pictorgams are just clumsy, the mascots horrible and the uniforms are terrible. The same with the torch... Too bad.

The stadium and the Velodrom look nice, but - as Athensfan said - nothing really special and just nice. In Athens 2004, the city, the venues, the Uniforms,the publications just looked stunning - what a brilliant branding that was. Anytime I walked through the city or through Olympic Park, I just was stunned and facinated. I have never seen before such an well integrated look of the games.

I also still like the Munich 1972 Branding. Otl Aicher did a fantastic job, using a light blue, a light green, white and silver as the four main colours and although this branding is more than 40 years old it is still modern and unique.

London did a lousy job so far. It started with the Logo. The pictorgams are just clumsy, the mascots horrible and the uniforms are terrible. The same with the torch... Too bad.

I think London's branding has been a mixed-bag so far. There's parts Like and parts I dislike.

I think London's pictograms are excellent. In fact, I think they are the best ones ever produced for an Olympics. They are also the most anatomically correct.The Logo looks clumsy in many applications but when used right can look good.

Munich '72 is seen as the benchmark of sports branding. It was and is incredible.

Archived