The Look of the games

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, I get the feeling that the London look will be great when applied as a feature, as a concept of site specific installation. However , as it stands, Im not so sure it's going to be as inspiring as a flat 2d design around the field of play and on regular signs. And lets face it, with the amount of space that needs to be dressed, it can't all be amazing and inventive, there's gonna be a heck of alot of flat space that just needs to look clean and nice on television, and which advertises the fact that we are indeed watching the Olympics.

Still, I think London will take the urban design of the look to a new level , moving on from things such as the Salt Lake building wraps.

• 2 weeks later...

The pictogram banners are stunning, and I think the "Barricade Insert Panels" will look great along a marathon route, for example. Some of the the others are quite plain on their own and don't look much within a flat pdf, but I reckon the overall effect when installed along a High Street will be where these ones shine.

Apparently the BBC logo ill be animated over the coming months, pressumably to work with an animated 2012 logo

Yep, I read that too.

I think the BBC will get the treatment of the logo right. I'm quite looking forward to seeing their idents for the Games.

Well London will certainly be colorful... Is it just em or does this color scheme look like it would be more fitting in SanFrancisco or the East Village than in London??? (not trying to offend here, but that is the only thing that comes to my mind every time I look at those banners...)

If you're saying what I think you're saying, then yes, that did spring to mind. Very colourful certainly. BTW, East Village is the name of the Olympic Village after 2012.

http://www.eastvillagelondon.co.uk/

I was trying to be subtle.. ;) Really? Actually called the East Village? Maybe not so coincidental after all...

Recently I saw an image of the London 2012 logo in Red with a blue background that I really liked. I think it was at the end of a video but can't be sure. I also seem to remember it was linked to the Aquatics centre in some way but again I can't be sure. Have trawled through all the London threads on here and SSC and can't locate it. Can anyone help?

Wasnt it part of the 1 year to go celebrations at the aquatic centre?

Wasnt it part of the 1 year to go celebrations at the aquatic centre?

Thanks! That did feature the correct colours of the logo but the video I was talking about was definitely more recent. I know it's a small thing but it's really bugging me. The shade of blue was slightly different to the 1 year to go celebrations and the red was also much deeper. It appeared right at the end of a video and I seem to remember it being a graphic rather than an actual poster of the logo. Thanks anyway, Rich.

I wish they were using a motif, a pattern... something apart from those pictograms (as great as they are). Feels generic.

I'd like more black too I think. Black would really make those colors pop. Torino used some and it worked really well:

15494_lg.jpg

It's a context for those colors to really look great and stand out, and it gives everything an edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Im quite suprised the stadium colour is purple, I assumed they would go with a rainbow as you move around the stadium, using all the colour combinations. mirroring the colour wheel created by that artist, sorry I forgot her name. The purple looks good anyway. The aquatics centre look, looks fab though.

The reall look of the games will be how the graffiti style of places just outside the Olympic park, like Hackney wick is used as presumably it will be .At Hackny wick there is a building that looks like an old pub that is covered from top to bottom in graffiti .it’s a colourfully site you wont see in any brochure,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived