The Look of the games

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just emailed them to find out if anyone can log in just in case (thought I'd be cheeky). They replied with The website goes live tommorrow, but just for local authorities, hopefully we will see some images though : )

48997olympicimage2.jpg

Decorations can range from flags, banners and bunting, and the 2012 Look Book is designed to help boroughs dress their unique public spaces by physically applying the look and feel to its buildings, pathways and streetscapes.

These proposals also include the use of artwork, light projections and planting ideas for flower beds.

I don't think extravagance is particularly welcome considering this is public money being spent in times of hardship. But dressing places around London certainly helps make more people feel a part of the festivities who maybe can't get to the park.

i remember reading a report from the british observers saying they found vancouver's look to colorful considering they were using just different shades of green, blue and white. just imagine if vancouver didn't scale down on their banners the city would've looked prettier.

additional view :

london_2012_community_decoration_29-07-11.jpg

From inside the games :

May 31 - London Mayor Boris Johnson has today announced that he is giving each Borough in the capital £50,000 ($82,000) to decorate high streets, squares and public spaces in order to spread the "look and feel" of the Olympics and Paralympics across the capital.

The funding will be used to purchase items from the London 2012 "Look Book," a catalogue of materials which will be published later this summer and feature the official colours and branding of the Games, although any surplus funding can alternatively be used to purchase artistic content from the London Outdoor Arts Festival.

Flags, banners and bunting are set to feature heavily while Boroughs will be encouraged to submit their own proposals for how their area might look, giving them the flexibility to decide how the iconic designs will be used to best display hidden aspects of London.

"The Games are a unique opportunity for London to secure its position for another generation as the best big city in the world," said Johnson.

"We all have a duty to make the most of this opportunity and I'm determined to ensure every part of the capital gets to benefit and enjoy the Games.

"This fund will help us put on the best show and showcase ourselves to the world - wherever we are."

This is the first part of a major programme that will also see London's iconic landmarks and popular tourist venues spectacularly dressed to welcome the world to London in 2012.

London Boroughs must identify areas to dress by the end of July 2011 following consultation with Greater London Authority (GLA) and London 2012 and confirm their plans by the end of this September.

The GLA and London 2012 will then approve Borough plans by the end of November and all orders from the Look Book must be received by the end of the year.

"Next year will be an incredible year for London and the rest of the UK as the nation comes together to celebrate the Games," said Sebastian Coe, the chairman of London 2012.

"We share the Mayors excitement and vision for one look, ensuring every resident and visitor is able feel part of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

"We look forward to working together with the London Boroughs to make this the greatest show on earth."

July 31 - Mayor of London Boris Johnson has again called on the capital's Boroughs to embrace the London 2012 "Look" by dressing up their high streets, squares, parks and public spaces in the official colours and branding that will greet athletes and visitors next summer.

In the spring, all the Boroughs were allocated £50,000 ($82,000/€57,000) by the Mayor to help them decorate and dress their key celebration areas so that the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic experience enhances every corner of London and many Boroughs have already submitted proposals for how they plan to spread the "look and feel" of London 2012 throughout those areas during the Torch Relay and the Games.

The Greater London Authority, the Government Olympic Executive (GOE) and London 2012 have now sent the Boroughs the official Look Book from which they can now choose a range of London 2012 Look materials to dress their streets and Johnson said the project will be a key part of the Games.

"When the world arrives next summer I want every corner of London to demonstrate its pride at hosting the world's greatest sporting event," said Johnson.

"That means decorating not just our iconic landmarks and public spaces with the 2012 look, but ensuring every inch of the capital dazzles its visitors and the millions watching around the world.

"I hope the Boroughs will embrace the chance to make their town centres and public spaces stand out during this once in a lifetime opportunity."

A website will be launched in the autumn when Boroughs can purchase their chosen items while in addition to flags, banners and bunting, the 2012 Look Book is designed to help them dress their unique public spaces by physically applying the look and feel to its buildings, pathways and streetscapes.

This includes the use of artwork, light projections and planting ideas for flowerbeds.

This is the first part of a major programme that will also see London's iconic landmarks and popular tourist venues spectacularly dressed to welcome the world to London in 2012.

"We have listened to what the boroughs and local authorities have said to us and so we are making the Look Book available as early as possible, giving them the time to plan and confirm budgets ahead of the Games next year," said Sebastian Coe, the chairman of London 2012.

"There are options available to suit different budgets - from planting and lighting ideas to the larger more spectacular ways of celebrating London 2012 in their communities.

"We want all local authorities to have the chance to be part of this in whichever way they would like.

"In just under a year's time the eyes of the world will be on London and the UK creating a great opportunity for communities to engage and celebrate with London 2012."

i remember reading a report from the british observers saying they found vancouver's look to colorful considering they were using just different shades of green, blue and white. just imagine if vancouver didn't scale down on their banners the city would've looked prettier.

This is what was reported:

Considering the 2010 Olympic look and brand, they [the British observers] said the colour scheme was "pale and too complex." They also said there was no coordination of street dressing or signage, which could have reflected the brand, and that there was "very little Paralympic merchandising."

Link

I thought Vancouver's look was superb (even though, as I've said before, I didn't like their logo at all; though thankfully that made few appearances). So I was surprised that this feedback was made from the guys LOCOG sent out.

We can't really compare what London is doing in terms of street decor with Vancouver yet since all we've got a the moment are these glimses from the so-called "look-book". But what we saw last week gave me a lot of heart that we'll get some vibrant and "summery" decoration!

oooh where did those images come from?

I know that first one with the cd case has been around since the logo's release in 2007.

All these years, I've wished that a lot of those geometric designs used for the logo launch (as seen on Wolff Olins London 2012 page) were going to end up on the Look. You know, stuff like this:

tumblr_lp9w833PfH1qiu78qo1_r2_500.png

That Look Book, so far, is rather disappointing.

I know that first one with the cd case has been around since the logo's release in 2007.

All these years, I've wished that a lot of those geometric designs used for the logo launch (as seen on Wolff Olins London 2012 page) were going to end up on the Look. You know, stuff like this:

tumblr_lp9w833PfH1qiu78qo1_r2_500.png

That Look Book, so far, is rather disappointing.

Agreed. I was always looking forward to seeing the Tate done up like this. Screenshot2011-08-01at93037PM.png

Archived