Commonwealth Winter Games

Anyone interested in seeing a commonwealth winter games? It seems like an interesting idea. Allow Canada/New Zealand to alternate as hosts. Maybe India as well?

Thoughts?

Been discussed before: Commonwealth Winter Games

There actually have been a Commonwealth Winter Games once before, in 1962, but even trying to research it, about the only thing known was that it was held in St Moritz.

India were planning a Commonwealth Winter Games last year, but it didn't seem to get off the ground.

It's probably a bit too much of a dubious event to add to an already over-crowded international sports event calendar.

Been discussed before: Commonwealth Winter Games

There actually have been a Commonwealth Winter Games once before, in 1962, but even trying to research it, about the only thing known was that it was held in St Moritz.

India were planning a Commonwealth Winter Games last year, but it didn't seem to get off the ground.

It's probably a bit too much of a dubious event to add to an already over-crowded international sports event calendar.

That talks about all sports.

What I suggest is having skating/skiing events - nordic events.

Curling you could easily have 6 teams NZL, AUS, CAN, ENG, WAL, SCO

Its not far fetched.

That talks about all sports.

What I suggest is having skating/skiing events - nordic events.

Curling you could easily have 6 teams NZL, AUS, CAN, ENG, WAL, SCO

Its not far fetched.

I think if you looked in the past thread(s), the general consensus that it would make more sense to include the odd winter sport - maybe curling and figure skating - into the regular summer Commonwealth Games roster.

I was lazy and read the first two pages. Anyways, the only sport I could see working is curling, because Canada would not dominate. However the games would have to be held in Australia, Canada etc. Not Sri Lanka :lol:

:mellow: I remember we got into a discussion about a Commonwealth Winter Carnival of about a week to start off...But it always ended up that we would need the figure and speed skating as this has the global TV pulling power. Start the day with mountainside events finishing the evening in the arena.

Canada could really only guarantee a stable host as Australia and New Zealand's weather forecasting can be very fickle. This year's Queenstown winter festival a case in point - no snow for the week. Two weeks later, inundated!

:mellow: I remember we got into a discussion about a Commonwealth Winter Carnival of about a week to start off...But it always ended up that we would need the figure and speed skating as this has the global TV pulling power. Start the day with mountainside events finishing the evening in the arena.

Canada could really only guarantee a stable host as Australia and New Zealand's weather forecasting can be very fickle. This year's Queenstown winter festival a case in point - no snow for the week. Two weeks later, inundated!

India as well, they hosted the firs ever South Asian Winter Games.

:) New Zealand is hosting it's bi-annual Winter Games this month...Growing in popularity as it is off season for the Northern Hemisphere. This is a good litmus test if the CGF was ever interested into at least seeing the potential outside of Canada.

I was just thinking that, the first event was apparantly really well run and everyone came out raving about it. An event run by seasoned event manager Arthur Klapp (who I believe was one of the main men in Wellington's bid for the 2006 Commonwealth Games).

Winter Games NZ

...An event run by seasoned event manager Arthur Klapp...

Mildly off topic here...

This man is the reason why the first NZWGs did so well...Media whinger, Murry Deaker can't praise this guy enough. Have to agree, Arthur Klapp is very pasimonious with other people's money. His philosophy is 'don't spend money you don't have'.

The Winter Games are financially sound, but Arthur did say that they will break even with a small surplus of $200k needed for promoting the 2013 event.

Considering the 2010 Rowing World Champs were a finanical disaster ($2millon debt) run by morons at Rowing NZ and the fact that SPARC are totally irresonsible, Arthur Klapp is who Martin Sneddon approached for advice when he became CEO of RWC11.

Arthur Klapp should be Sports Minister.

Hmmmm, I think the Commonwealth's relevance is weak enough as it is so I don't know how a Winter CG would go over, especially since it would be so utterly dominated by Canada, with a few victories from Australian, New Zealand and British athletes.

Forget a Commonwealth Winter Games.

You got the Youth version of the Commonwealth Games, which is usually hosted by the host nation of the main deal.

Why not just have a ParaCommonwealth Games. Like The ParaPanAms or real deal Paralympics post Commonwealth Games, rather than just integrating Parasports at the Commonwealth Games? I.e a separate event? Or would it just be a little too much to organize?

As for a Winter Games, it would most likely be a small scaled down version of the Winter Olympics or even say the Asian Winter Games for that matter.

Events would most likely be:

Ice events:

Curling - where the teams from within Britain can compete as separate teams.

Figure Skating

Short Track

Speed Skating

(Ice Hockey, will not be contested if too few teams are produced)

Snow:

Alpine Skiing - should Australia host at 1 point, it could not possibly host Men's Downhill due to lack of vertical at the mountains, unless real modification of slopes occur. We'll never probably end up hosting.

Cross Country Skiing

Biathlon

Snowboard

Freestyle Skiing

(Ski Jumping and Sliding events will not be contested, even should the event be held in Calgary or Vancouver, where such facilities already exist)

My take on it is that it would probably be a back and forth event held between Canada and New Zealand, with the remote possibility of Australia and Scotland hosting at some point. Hardly some event to sustain indefinitely, even if you agree a rotational policy.

As for a Winter Games, it would most likely be a small scaled down version of the Winter Olympics or even say the Asian Winter Games for that matter.

Events would most likely be:

Ice events:

Curling - where the teams from within Britain can compete as separate teams.

Figure Skating

Short Track

Speed Skating

(Ice Hockey, will not be contested if too few teams are produced)

Snow:

Alpine Skiing - should Australia host at 1 point, it could not possibly host Men's Downhill due to lack of vertical at the mountains, unless real modification of slopes occur. We'll never probably end up hosting.

Cross Country Skiing

Biathlon

Snowboard

Freestyle Skiing

(Ski Jumping and Sliding events will not be contested, even should the event be held in Calgary or Vancouver, where such facilities already exist)

My take on it is that it would probably be a back and forth event held between Canada and New Zealand, with the remote possibility of Australia and Scotland hosting at some point. Hardly some event to sustain indefinitely, even if you agree a rotational policy.

Minus nordic events and hockey (and sliding events if there is not track) and you have a fair program

As for the Commonwealth youth games they are hosted by smaller countries and cities (minus 2008) Isle of man will host this year with Samoa hosting in 2015. Wales is the early favourite for 2019.

A Winter Games is a non-starter but Curling could work as a sport in the Commonwealth Games. Well, we've got Scotland and Canada for starters.

Freestyle skiing and Snowboarding could work too as New Zealand looks set to win a couple of medals in Sochi and Australia has 4 world champions in these two sports this year.

Seems that the number of sports would be very limited. Some curling, some skating. Maybe a bit of skiing and snowboarding, and probably on lower level mountains, since Western Canada is the only part of the Commonwealth to currently have Olympic and FIS quality downhill runs. I don't see it happening, or it would have already.

:( Hmmm...This is where the discussion ended up last time. Buried somewhere in Canada as they would simply swamp the medals table.

I do like the idea of Curling or even Speed Skating in the regular CWGs as options. Easy to do.

Maybe a commonwealth winter games, where Canada sends developmental athletes. It would be a great excuse for other countries to invest in winter sports.

I believe it was India who wanted to stage the Commonwealth Winter Games, but didn't. However it did stage the South Asian winter games, in which winter hotbeds such as Bangladesh and Sri Lanka competed.

Well, let's face it...most of the old British Empire stretched out into tropical and arid territories. Canada being the major exception.

Looking at the Olympic Winter Medal chart as a gauge, only four Commonwealth countries have ever won medals at the Olympic Games, with one only having picked up only a single silver (won at the Albertville Games) and another has only won medals beginning with the Lillehammer Games. And guess which countries they are?

Canada - 145 medals (52 of them gold)

Britain - 22 medals

Australia - 9 medals

New Zealand - 1 medal

The winter version of the Jeux Canada Games would be a far greater athletic challenge than a Commonwealth Winter Games.

:) ...Yeah, sort of no scope really.

As I and others have been saying, add the 'Ice Rink' sports to the CWGs regular program. Then prehaps Canada can start chomping away at Australia's massive medal haul that has been the norm since 1994.

:mellow: I think you Canucks mis-understood me when I said 'Ice Rink' events in the regular CWGs...I was including the Ice Skating, Dancing, Speed Skating, Hockey,...and Curling.

:) NZ Winter Games open tomorrow...And you wouldn't believe it - a blizzard front from Antarctic is due to arrive on Sunday bringing snow, snow and more...snow.

:mellow: I think you Canucks mis-understood me when I said 'Ice Rink' events in the regular CWGs...I was including the Ice Skating, Dancing, Speed Skating, Hockey,...and Curling.

Yeah, that's by far the most sensible suggestion. I just can't see a full Commonwealth Winter Games being justified, but I'd have no problems, and indeed would be enthusiastic, to see some ice sports included in the normal CWG roster. Stuff like Ice skating and dancing would be big ticket sellers and crowd pullers no matter where they're held. And curling would make a great Commomnwealth sport - I can just see the Scotland versus Canada rivalry building.

:) NZ Winter Games open tomorrow...And you wouldn't believe it - a blizzard front from Antarctic is due to arrive on Sunday bringing snow, snow and more...snow.

Again, this is exactly the type of thing that NZ whould be doing to build their winter prowess. I just hope it starts to yield results with a medal harvest at the WOGs in the future. And if that happens, who knows? - maybe with a Winter Yogs under its belt, NZ could really start being thought of as a viable senior host a few decades down the track.

Archived