Third time lucky?

Will madrid have the same luck that PyeongChang? :/

From ATR website :

1krriikb.2ud.jpg

Madrid 2020 Opposition

An opposition group to the Madrid 2020 bid is now collecting signatures against the bid.

The group, “No Queremos Madrid 2020” roughly translates as “we don’t want Madrid 2020”. They say the city can not afford the Olympics calling it a “financial suicide” for the city. The cost of the Games was the key point of contention when the city approved the bid just last week.

On the group’s website, they claim 260 people have signed the petition, which was launched on Monday. They hope to have 25,000 signatures by the end of the campaign.

It is unknown the scope or size of the organization, or if Madrid 2020 is taking note of the opposition.

Of the major bids for the 2020 Games, this is so far the only bid that has faced opposition.

That bony hand is a joke! This is the "official logo" of the main opposition group:

madrid2020logo.JPG

You know, more related to money... The motto says "it's sadder to have to steal", and BTW, I don't really get what they mean with that :rolleyes:

How has the IOC dealt with this kind of opposition groups in the past? I don't think they'll give much importance to them unless they have full support from the population (which is not the case, so far). In the end, if the IOC wants to go to Madrid, they will, and if they don't, they won't, as simple as that. I don't think these groups will play an important role in the final decision.

My gut reaction is that the IOC are used to dealing with bidding cities with such groups - depending how vocal they are they might even agree to meet them and listen to their concerns, but at the end I'd guess they pay more attention to the polling of support.

Then again, of those bids I do remember having quite a significant and organized opposition group - Berlin 2000, Stockholm 2004, Chicago 2016, Munich 2018 - well, they WERE all losing bids, so perhaps they can influence chances.

I seem to remember Sydney only had a pretty minor opposition in it's bid. I can't remember London having much of an anti-group. Did Vancouver have much opposition during it's 2010 bid? What about Madrid's past two bids?

Maybe as of now it's a toss up between Rome and Madrid ( Tokyo has no chance in 2020) The only thing that would kill Madrid is if Durban bidded but that's 99.9% unlikely that they will bid. I'm not seeing any body who will step up that can knock off Madrid or Rome. So I see them going all the way to the end unless the people of Madrid kill the bid. But wouldn't be upset if Madrid got it and Rome didn't. To early to make bold predictions though ;)

It'll be possible but difficult. All the competitors will be very strong, I think, especially Rome. Maybe Madrid will have, at last, the reward for its investment and its efforts. But, beyond their good technical bid, they'll have to present a persuasive bid, refining their image and the "plus" of their bid. I don't know if I express myself in a accurate way, but I think you can understand what I mean ^^

• 2 weeks later...

It will be a Rome against Madrid tie up I guess... Good luck both ;)

Hopefully a U.S. or Canada bid will jump in to make it more of a contest. Should be interesting though as is, we'll see if the protesters get their way in Madrid.

Well, Istanbul its official, its going to be an amazing race, cant wait to see it in 2013 :D

Paris wont bid?

No, Paris will wait until 2024, as far a we are only: Rome, Tokyo, Madrid, Istanbul; maybe: Doha, Durban, USA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's now or never for Madrid if they don't win the 2020 Olympics Bid then it will be a very long time until they Bid again while Spain is in an economic mess it seems very unlikely that Madrid will win and geopolitics do not favour Spain as well in the 2012 and 2016 Bid Madrid had only 32 votes so it's very unlikely that they will in 2020.

I dont like that UEFA voting procedure... Only 14 votes!! Pffff!!! Come on! At least 24 that is half of UEFA countries...

But its true, it now or never for Madrid otherwise it will be really hard in 2024 with Toronto, Paris, Durban... And maybe they'll wait till the 40's or 30's

Madrid has everything in place (80%) that helps a little? :P

I think 2020 will be Madrid biggest chance, with IOc will play carefully not to choose Doha, and Tokyo won't be chosen after PyeongChang, Istanbul's focus will be divided into Euro 2020 campaign, and World Expo, I mean, c'mon guys, don't be so greedy how many big event do you want to be hosted in only 1 city in 1 year period ? So the chance will be for Madrid and Rome, both of them have financial problem, so who's the one that can tackle that problem better, will be the winner... and I support for Madrid.. The only capital from major sport country in europe that never host the games :)

^ Not quite true. Hungary, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria and Denmark all have more Olympic medals than Spain and they have never hosted an Olympics. So does Belgium, which like Spain, hosted, but not in their capital. As well as Switzerland and Norway, which have only hosted Winter Games.

Archived