londons part in Beijing closing ceremony

Indeed Mikey. I can't wait. We don't need to dream about having an opening ceremony now either -it really is going to happen in London! You reckon the Daleks will get a look in?  :)

What I really am looking forward to though is seeing the London Eye turn gold with the Olympic rings emblazoned on it. It's gonna look sensational.

You could re-do an act of how the British fed the Chinese opium, tricking and bankrupting the nation which forced China to rent Hong Kong to Britain for 99 years. :P

Only joking............I'm sure it will be awesome.

:)

During the Closing Ceremony of Athens, I made a wish: God please, I want London to be the city that will have a part in 2008's Closing Ceremony. I hope it will be modern dancing combined with traditional stuff.  

Atlanta's part in Barcelona'92 was awesome. It was so modern and 1990s.

I didn't like Beijing's part in Athens... maybe because I wanted something like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon's stuff!

logo0qn.jpg

We'll probably have to wait till after bajing to put the Olympic rings on the London eye

Though Im not sure about that.

I think they should do it now. Its going to be sensational.

They could have Darleks in a  zone in the Olympic park a bit like the Dinosaurs at crystal Palace.

We'll probably have to wait till after bajing to put the Olympic rings on the London eye

Though Im not sure about that.

I think they should do it now. Its going to be sensational.

They could have Darleks in a  zone in the Olympic park a bit like the Dinosaurs at crystal Palace.

Darleks in Olympic park might be a tad tacky unless it was done really well.

Anyone else thought about the problem of putting the rings on the London Eye?

Of course, if they were simply attached to the Eye then as it rotated so would the rings, which would look very odd.

There would have to be an independent mechanism for holding the Rings in the same position while the Eye rotated. Hmm now there's an interesting one!

Now Freddy Mercury and Montserrat Caballé sang a beautiful song about Barcelona, and there have been songs about Paris (Bridges of...., Aux Champs Elysées, etc.) and Rio, San Francisco (with flowers...), Amsterdam (Tulips from) and a lot of other places, but I don't really see a song specifically about London making such heavy inroads in the romantic or glamorous city song stakes if one were written for the Beijing ceremony. I mean, "London Calling" just about sums us up, but I don't think the Chinese would want us spoiling their Feng Shui goodbye party, although "Let Me Take You By The Hand" could make a revival... Oh God.... here's hoping someone comes up with something original before it's too late!

The thing is, we (the English) don't really have a national costume  - witness the sad Beefeater outfits they always make Miss UK wear at the Miss Universe competition.  Nor do we have a national dance (unless you count Morris dancing???)  

I assume that our show at Beijing will be therefore: Sir Paul McCartney playing old Beatles tunes, and whichever rapper is of the hour, and a bunch of tracksuited multi-ethnic schoolkids skipping in circles.

Well this is just my two cents as usual,but say cape town had won the 2004 bid or lets say it wins the 2016 bid, for the 2004 bid there was a cultural programme called "Journey to Light the SKy", i dont know why but i love that phrase, the meaning behind it is if cape town were to host the games the flame would have been lit on robben island on a LARGE enough cauldron so that it was visible from the Olympic Park, which would in effect be high enough to almost light the sky as such, so if london closing ceremony was to take place, perhaps many children or a girl and boy or whoever of course of different races walk together, they walk into the darkness with maybe a candle or something into like a tunnerl and dissappear almost on their journey to light the sky, im not sure if understand what im saying, but the journey would begin in 2012 at the closing ceremony and of course end when the sky is lit or the olympic cauldronwas to be lit, i think that as london has a big focus on children, their should perhaps be a child realeasing a dove from his hands which flies away, and arrives at the stadium as such in 2012 for the opening, otherwise perhaps a big hot air balloon, made of the union jack, which has children on it along with perhaps sir steve redgrave and kelly holmes and they fly off together to london, maybe "Into the future of our children@ or " what dreams may come" and when its the 2012 opening the children appear of course older and perhaps by that stage good athletes (wishful thinking)

so what u guys think?

Wasn't there something said in the bid book about a 'friend-ship' that would set sail at the closing ceremony of Beijing 2008, spreading a message of peace and friendship around the world and finally arriving in London at the opening ceremony of London2012?

Wasn't there something said in the bid book about a 'friend-ship' that would set sail at the closing ceremony of Beijing 2008, spreading a message of peace and friendship around the world and finally arriving in London at the opening ceremony of London2012?

Indeed. I look forward to seeing how they manage this:

If London is given the honour of hosting the 2012 Games, an Olympic FriendShip would provide the centrepiece of the cultural celebrations.

A full-size ocean-going clipper would be launched at the Closing Ceremony of the Beijing Games, beginning a four-year voyage around the globe. The ship would be crewed by young people from all over the world, carrying a 'cultural cargo' representing the best of contemporary Britain.

In 2012, the FriendShip would sail home loaded with ideas from all over the world, and her arrival in the Thames would herald the start of the 30th Olympic Games.

A dedicated website would provide a Virtual FriendShip, allowing children in the UK to join the celebrations and share their culture and language with young people all over the world.

I felt quite dissapointed for the Beijing presentation in Athens, as they only had the track space to use for their promotion.  They couldn't use the field because the athletes were already packed onto it.

I seem to recall that at previous Olympic Games closing ceremonies, the new hosts have been given the whole of the track and field area to promote.

Let's hope Beijing are a little more generous and allow London a bit more room  :D

The thing is, we (the English) don't really have a national costume

How 'bout the Pearlies?  I always see those.

Or how 'bout an arena version of "Antiques Roadshow"?  :wwww:

Now, about a London song.  You guys will have to do a little research.  But in the musical film version of GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS (1969), Katherine (Pet Clark) was made a musical hall actress.  And she had a lavish 'on-stage' number called "London is London"; it had all the quintessential London elements.  

Maybe your team might consider that.  BTW, the score of G,MC was by Leslie Bricusse.

oh god, the pearly kings.  I don't know if that is the image Britain wants to give to the world at Beijing: a bunch of shrivelled eleventy-year olds with thick cockney accents and fags hanging out of the corner of their mouths.  I am not entirely sure they would survive the trip, anyway.  And let's not give Chirac any more ammo to slag off our food: jellied eels are absolutely disgusting.

oh god, the pearly kings.  I don't know if that is the image Britain wants to give to the world at Beijing: a bunch of shrivelled eleventy-year olds with thick cockney accents and fags hanging out of the corner of their mouths.  I am not entirely sure they would survive the trip, anyway.  And let's not give Chirac any more ammo to slag off our food: jellied eels are absolutely disgusting.

:laughlong: I don't think Chriac would be around then either.

I can see projections of BiG Ben on large screens all around the Beijing stadium.It is pitch black in the whole of the stadium apart from the lights of the famous clock It strikes and the field is awash with pearly queen/kings,punks,bowler hatted city gents with umbrellas,young kids of all races/religions. The music of the Clash plays out "London calling". A live feed goes to Trafalgr Square where young children spell out LONDON 2012 by painting themselves just like the Commonwealth Games. The sequence ends with projections of Londons landmarks across the field and a huge lazer show whilst the London Philamonic and the London gospel choir perform with Elton John.

I have such a vivid imagination.

that is very nice mallaka, might use u for the cape town olympic opening ceremony some day!!, as the cape town games opening needs to be quite HUGE and impactful as its the first time the games come to africa and all, it might start with a very dream like opening with african kinda drums in the background but also very soothing kinda flute music, it will start with an african voice "in 1923 pierre de coubertin had a dream"

drums drums

" he dreamt of a games in africa"

drums drums

[crows go wild here]

drums drums

"that time has come"

PAUSE

"olympic games welcome to africa for the first time"

LOTSA DRUMS but not like the whole athens opening much more kinda unique

"citizens of the world welcome to cape town"

"welcome to africa, cradle of humankind"

i think i might just cry in that moment bt dont tell anyone!!

then a superfast journey to a sattelite showing a live feed of africa from space, then a super fast journey to the caves where the first traces of man were found, ok im getting carried away

that is very nice mallaka, might use u for the cape town olympic opening ceremony some day!!, as the cape town games opening needs to be quite HUGE and impactful as its the first time the games come to africa and all, it might start with a very dream like opening with african kinda drums in the background but also very soothing kinda flute music, it will start with an african voice "in 1923 pierre de coubertin had a dream"

drums drums

" he dreamt of a games in africa"

drums drums

[crows go wild here]

drums drums

"that time has come"

PAUSE

"olympic games welcome to africa for the first time"

LOTSA DRUMS but not like the whole athens opening much more kinda unique

"citizens of the world welcome to cape town"

"welcome to africa, cradle of humankind"

i think i might just cry in that moment bt dont tell anyone!!

then a superfast journey to a sattelite showing a live feed of africa from space, then a super fast journey to the caves where the first traces of man were found, ok im getting carried away

Thanks Mo Rush...there would be endless possibilities for a Cape own games Opening Ceremony. I think you are corect in that it should concentrate on being the 1st games to come to Africa.

So are they talking about launching the ship from Beijing or London ,

And is it a real ship or a conceptual ship.

There's been the QE2, the QM2, so now the Titanic II.  And have Leonardo de Caprio and Kate Winslet sing "We are the (Pearly) Kings of the World"... from a Titanic that rises from another Beijing Olympic Stadium lake!!  

And instead of saying "Liverpool" on the bow? stern? butt?, it will say "London"   Then glow; then fireworks!!  :wwww:

Well this is just my two cents as usual,but say cape town had won the 2004 bid or lets say it wins the 2016 bid, for the 2004 bid there was a cultural programme called "Journey to Light the SKy", i dont know why but i love that phrase, the meaning behind it is if cape town were to host the games the flame would have been lit on robben island on a LARGE enough cauldron so that it was visible from the Olympic Park, which would in effect be high enough to almost light the sky as such, so if london closing ceremony was to take place, perhaps many children or a girl and boy or whoever of course of different races walk together, they walk into the darkness with maybe a candle or something into like a tunnerl and dissappear almost on their journey to light the sky, im not sure if understand what im saying, but the journey would begin in 2012 at the closing ceremony and of course end when the sky is lit or the olympic cauldronwas to be lit, i think that as london has a big focus on children, their should perhaps be a child realeasing a dove from his hands which flies away, and arrives at the stadium as such in 2012 for the opening, otherwise perhaps a big hot air balloon, made of the union jack, which has children on it along with perhaps sir steve redgrave and kelly holmes and they fly off together to london, maybe "Into the future of our children@ or " what dreams may come" and when its the 2012 opening the children appear of course older and perhaps by that stage good athletes (wishful thinking)

so what u guys think?

Wow, that's the longest sentence ever posted on GB. I don't see any full stops in it.

It should be prefaced with "But yeah, but no, but yeah......"

:P

Seriously, the Welsh, Scots and Irish are also British (as funny as though it may seem) so maybe we can incorporate leeks, thistles and potatoes into the handover.

Although in all probability, it will be happy friendly black, white and Asian chavs breakdancing.

You see, here is where we always lose out to the French. The French will always do something stylish and avant garde while we are bound to do something cheesy.

I don't think we will do anything cheesy as you put it

Im expecting us to do something stylish and avongard

Presumably some of the Noting hill carnival designers will be involved.

Last year there was an amazing walking T Recks ,

Masquerade 2000 are always amazing,

all very stytlish.

Archived