2011 Athletics World Championships

The women's 800m is set to be VERY controversial.

For those that don't know, South African athlete Caster Semenya won the 2009 world champs amidst rumours she was a man or intersexed.

An Australian newspaper broke the strory that the IAAF tested Semenya and found out she was a hermaphrodite. The paper alleged Semenya has no female reproductive faculties but has testicles.

Of course, Semenya is very masculine -- her body structure, face shape, EXTREMELY deep voice etc are thought to be a result of her testosterone production which is believed to be over 3 times more than other women.

It has been aleged that since 2009, Semenya has been put on hormone therapy to adjust the unfair advantage she has.If this is so, then that means that the IAAF have allowed Semenya to keep her 2009 gold despite now knowing she had illegal body chemistry. Not only that, is she has been getting hormone therapy as stated, that means the IAAF has knowingly over-saw a form of doping.

Many of the female athletes are outraged. Some have flat out called her a man.

What is angering people more is that as of right now in the 2011 Daegu qualifying rounds, Semenya looks unbeatable.

If Semenya wins, it will be controversial.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sally Pearson's success in the hurdles has a lot to do with the fact that she's a decent flat 100 runner as well.

This event is the most competitive on the athletics program.

Next year: Lopes Schelip vs Pearson. (Thank god Canada has depth in this event. 5 runners all running below 12.90)

I am pleased with the performance of the German athletes in Daegu and the result makes me full of expectations for London 2012:

1 UNITED STATES (USA)

12 8 5 25

2 RUSSIA (RUS)

9 4 6 19

3 KENYA (KEN)

7 6 4 17

4 JAMAICA (JAM)

4 4 1 9

5 GERMANY (GER)

3 3 1 7

6 GREAT BRITAIN & N.I. (GBR)

2 4 1 7

7 PR OF CHINA (CHN)

1 2 1 4

8 AUSTRALIA (AUS)

1 1 1 3

9 ETHIOPIA (ETH)

1 0 4 5

10 UKRAINE (UKR)

1 0 1 2

11 BOTSWANA (BOT)

1 0 0 1

11 BRAZIL (BRA)

1 0 0 1

11 GRENADA (GRN)

1 0 0 1

11 JAPAN (JPN)

1 0 0 1

11 NEW ZEALAND (NZL)

1 0 0 1

11 POLAND (POL)

1 0 0 1

17 SOUTH AFRICA (RSA)

0 2 2 4

18 CUBA (CUB)

0 1 3 4

18 FRANCE (FRA)

0 1 3 4

20 BELARUS (BLR)

0 1 1 2

21 CANADA (CAN)

0 1 0 1

21 CROATIA (CRO)

0 1 0 1

21 CZECH REPUBLIC (CZE)

0 1 0 1

21 ESTONIA (EST)

0 1 0 1

21 HUNGARY (HUN)

0 1 0 1

21 KAZAKHSTAN (KAZ)

0 1 0 1

21 NORWAY (NOR)

0 1 0 1

21 PUERTO RICO (PUR)

0 1 0 1

21 SUDAN (SUD)

0 1 0 1

21 TUNISIA (TUN)

0 1 0 1

31 COLOMBIA (COL)

0 0 2 2

31 SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS (SKN)

0 0 2 2

33 BAHAMAS (BAH)

0 0 1 1

33 BELGIUM (BEL)

0 0 1 1

33 ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN (IRI)

0 0 1 1

33 ITALY (ITA)

0 0 1 1

33 LATVIA (LAT)

0 0 1 1

33 SLOVENIA (SLO)

0 0 1 1

33 SPAIN (ESP)

0 0 1 1

33 TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (TRI)

0 0 1 1

33 ZIMBABWE (ZIM)

0 0 1 1

I've been a fan of the IAAF World Championships since their inception in 1983 and I have always thought that they are one of the most enjoyable sporting events to follow (even more than the Olympics because during the Olympics I get a little stressed out trying to give every sport their fair share of my attention). Congratulations to Daegu on a wonderful job of hosting these worlds and kudos to the athletes who have given many memorable performances. Congrats also to seven nations (Colombia, Botswana, Latvia, Zimbabwe, Grenada. Iran, and Sudan) whose athletes won their nation's first ever WC medals. It was a fun week.

If anything Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica has likely cemented herself as one of the greatest female sprinters ever with a silver medal in the 100 meters, gold in the 200 and silver in the 4 x 100 meter relay to go along with all of the other medals she has won....and she's only 29. The only individual gold medal missing is a 100 meter Olympic gold.

Bet her alma mater (The University of Arkansas) is proud of her.

If anything Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica has likely cemented herself as one of the greatest female sprinters ever with a silver medal in the 100 meters, gold in the 200 and silver in the 4 x 100 meter relay to go along with all of the other medals she has won....and she's only 29. The only individual gold medal missing is a 100 meter Olympic gold.

Bet her alma mater (The University of Arkansas) is proud of her.

Yep. She's been world champ at 60m, 100m, 200m. Also, she's a double Olympic champ in the 200m, aswell as an Olympic gold medalist in the 4x100m. She's also an Olympic medallist over 100m. Brilliant.Legend.

The WORST ever Athletics WCh is over. Koreas best performance was a sixth place! Thats the WORST performance of a host nation ever. Sweden in 1995 and Canada in 2011 didn´t win medals either, but both secured a fifth place. The apartments of the athletes were too far away from the stadium, no hotel rooms,... Only at the end was a good atmosphere. I am really looking forward to Moscow in two years. The Russian will show the Koreans how to celebrate such a WCh.

I really can not understand, why Korea is bidding for such a sports event and getting the honor to host it. Same with 2018. It´s all about national pride for them.

The WORST ever Athletics WCh is over. Koreas best performance was a sixth place! Thats the WORST performance of a host nation ever. Sweden in 1995 and Canada in 2011 didn´t win medals either, but both secured a fifth place. The apartments of the athletes were too far away from the stadium, no hotel rooms,... Only at the end was a good atmosphere. I am really looking forward to Moscow in two years. The Russian will show the Koreans how to celebrate such a WCh.

I really can not understand, why Korea is bidding for such a sports event and getting the honor to host it. Same with 2018. It´s all about national pride for them.

Well, the championships obviously serve an economic purpose for South Korea. It gives them more publicity on the world stage.

I agree that the staging wasn't the best ever and obviously lack of crowd support was a part of this.

Yes people have hardly had problems finding a seat in the stadium, but as a viewer (once Ortis was axed) it's been the best World Champs for me in quite some time with some great races.

lol. Yep, who can forget Ortis.lol.Let's hope Channel4 learns from that incident. I watched on Eurosport most of the time though.

I think the second half of the champs in terms of athletics were great. There was some incredible moments. The women's javelin for example was epic and probably, in my opinion, the most exciting event of the meet.

What's the difference between 5th and 6th place anyway? You're splitting hairs.

Anyway, I agree the atmosphere wasn't the best. I wonder why it was Daegu that bid rather than Seoul when these days there are cities like Berlin, Moscow and Beijing hosting? Seoul would've had a better atmosphere.

I don't totally disagree with you, but geez.. bitter much?

What's the difference between 5th and 6th place anyway? You're splitting hairs.

Anyway, I agree the atmosphere wasn't the best. I wonder why it was Daegu that bid rather than Seoul when these days there are cities like Berlin, Moscow and Beijing hosting? Seoul would've had a better atmosphere.

I don't totally disagree with you, but geez.. bitter much?

Daegu's stadium was the most modern I believe so ready to host top-flight athletics.

I think there were far fewer empty seats in Daegu than there were in Osaka four years ago.

On the question of why certain cities bid. Why not? All you need is a stadium that can handle an athletics meet and a fairly decent level of infrastructure. It is a lot cheaper than trying to stage an Olympic Games. I'm astonished that more cities do not bid, giving that Beijing won by walkover for 2015 and London and Doha are the only bidders for 2017.

I think there were far fewer empty seats in Daegu than there were in Osaka four years ago.

On the question of why certain cities bid. Why not? All you need is a stadium that can handle an athletics meet and a fairly decent level of infrastructure. It is a lot cheaper than trying to stage an Olympic Games. I'm astonished that more cities do not bid, giving that Beijing won by walkover for 2015 and London and Doha are the only bidders for 2017.

Osaka had terrible attendances -- even for the evening sessions with finals.

Part of the equation is having an IAAF affiliated stadium large enough to host with all the relevant infrastructure. How many cities have the necessary hotel rooms aswell as a 40,000 seat athletics stadium?

Ok well there you go. That's a perfectly good reason to choose Daegu over Seoul. And once we stop comparing Daegu to Berlin and start comparing them instead to past hosts like Osaka, this world championships doesn't look so bad after all.

lol. Yep, who can forget Ortis.lol.Let's hope Channel4 learns from that incident. I watched on Eurosport most of the time though.

The Ortis situation really let Channel Four down, which was a shame because they actually employed a good team otherwise.

Ok well there you go. That's a perfectly good reason to choose Daegu over Seoul. And once we stop comparing Daegu to Berlin and start comparing them instead to past hosts like Osaka, this world championships doesn't look so bad after all.

Yeah. They were better as the week progressed.

You've also got to realise, Daegu's champs were quite innovative -- it was the first time a 3-round 100m had been used instead of the normal 4 rounds. And they had a 'rest day' when only the walk event was staged.So, it was trial and error.

Yeah. They were better as the week progressed.

You've also got to realise, Daegu's champs were quite innovative -- it was the first time a 3-round 100m had been used instead of the normal 4 rounds. And they had a 'rest day' when only the walk event was staged.So, it was trial and error.

Really? Great for Daegu. Admittedly, I didn't watch much of the competition except online, so my understanding is based mainly on reading articles. So it's cool to hear what others have to say about the Daegu Games.

Not tobe off topic, but I find your signature to be very humorous...everyone except Sepp Blatter has a reaction, especially German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Blatter just sits there very emotionless.

Yep. She's been world champ at 60m, 100m, 200m. Also, she's a double Olympic champ in the 200m, aswell as an Olympic gold medalist in the 4x100m. She's also an Olympic medallist over 100m. Brilliant.Legend.

She could probably go for two more Olympics since she's only 29, if she wanted to of course.

She could probably go for two more Olympics since she's only 29, if she wanted to of course.

Yeah. It all depends upon her desire. Next year, I think will be the true determinant of what she does in the future regarding if she wins the 100m.

But her status is already sealed as an all time great. Same too with Allyson Felix -- 3 time world 200m champ, Olympic 4x400m gold medallist testifies to her immense talent.

Archived