2011 Athletics World Championships

The Women's 400 Meter Hurdles is Lashinda Demus' for the taking as both Melaine Walker and Kalise Spencer are injured and neither looked all that great in the semi-final heats while Demus looked oustanding. Heck, Spencer barely made it through on time.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Women's 400 Meter Hurdles is Lashinda Demus' for the taking as both Melaine Walker and Kalise Spencer are injured and neither looked all that great in the semi-final heats while Demus looked oustanding. Heck, Spencer barely made it through on time.

Demus looked good. Antyukh, the Russian Euro champ can go sub 53 so is a danger. It all depends how they recover from the semis to the final.

I wouldn't write of Spencer or Walker yet. Also, Stambolova and Hejnova could spring a suprise.

Demus wins the Women's 400 Meters, outrunning Melaine Walker. Kalise Spencer finishes in fourth. Demus is likely to be a lock to make the Olympic team next year. One of the other spots will probably go to Queen Harrison.

Demus wins the Women's 400 Meter Hurdles, outrunning Melaine Walker. Kalise Spencer finishes in fourth. Demus is likely to be a lock to make the Olympic team next year. One of the other spots will probably go to Queen Harrison.

As predicted Deagu is not a good host for this WCh.

• not enough beds
  • closed the stadium while journalist were still working inside
  • poor atmosphere and not enough food stands
  • poor quality of the broadcast, too much running events and less technical events live
  • protests of the North American, German and Australian TV stations

Full article (in German)

As predicted Deagu is not a good host for this WCh.

• not enough beds
  • closed the stadium while journalist were still working inside
  • poor atmosphere and not enough food stands
  • poor quality of the broadcast, too much running events and less technical events live
  • protests of the North American, German and Australian TV stations

Full article (in German)

The last championships in Berlin were the best ever -- best stadium, staging and packed out crowds etc.

The 2011 version in Daegu has not been as good in my opinion. Some of the crowds have been appalling -- the morning sessions have had hardly anyone in the stadium. The Koreans had to resort to busing in school children.

I know there's been some anger at how heavy handed the officials have been with the athletes when leading them from the track after DQs etc.

I love athletics but these championships haven't been the best staged. I don't think Daegu has been the best ambassador for athletics. Compare to the recent brilliant FINA swimming champs in Shanghai and clearly other sports have been getting far superior advertisement than athletics.

Think Bolt will win the 200m. Walter Dix will get silver and LeMaitre the bronze.

Slly Pearson looked great in her first round 100m hurdles heat. Hope she wins -- she's been the undisputed best female hurdler this year.The Americans : Wells, Carruthers look great too.

Sally Pearson 12.37 in her semi final. That is extremely fast. I think it's top 10 all time.Mitchell Watt, who started the men's long jump a slight favourite got the silver -- he's medalled at the last two world champs aswell as the world indoor champs. That's pretty consistent.

Finally atmosphere in the stadium! And an unexpected gold for De Zordo in the javelin. Wow that Australian Lady...

Yep, Sally Pearson was amazing. Probably the performance of the meet.

If only Obergfoll threw to her potential then German would have more to shout about in the throws. But hey, you guys are doing pretty well. Storl in the Shot-put winning gold was brilliant. He's only 21.

I think the best performances so far have been Sally Pearson in the 100m hurdles, Usain Bolt in the men's 200m and Abakhumova in the women's javelin.

The crowds could have been better, especially for the morning sessions but for that last session, they finally seemed to come alive.

Archived