2011 Athletics World Championships

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike with Trey Hardee who successfully defended his World Title, it doesn't look like the same will hold true to Hardee's USA and former University of Texas teammate Sanya Richards-Ross. She barely made it into the finals and only did based on time.

In the Women's 100 Meters, the usual suspects of Shelley Ann Fraser-Pryce, Veronica Campbell Brown and Carmelita Jeter made it into the semi-finals. Those three will most likely be the medal winners with maybe Kerron Stewart possibly spoiling it for Jeter, causing a Jamaican sweep.

Oscar Pistorius fails to qualify for 400m final at World Championships

Oscar Pistorius's much-talked-about appearance in the men's 400m at the World Championships ended in anti-climax after he failed to make the final in Daegu.

The South African double amputee, the first Paralympian to compete in the competition and again the most loudly supported athlete in the stadium, finished last in his semi-final.

The 24-year-old, whose carbon fibre blades have provoked great debate over whether they give him an unfair advantage, clocked 46.19sec, more than a second short of his personal best and 0.80sec slower than his heat on Sunday.

"I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to be here and I'll have to work on it," Pistorius said. "I've run with most of these guys before but in a competition like this they are all running at a world class level."

The Olympic and world champion LaShawn Merritt, back from a 21-month doping ban, was the fastest qualifier in 44.76 as Britain's Martyn Rooney went out, finishing seventh in his semi in 46.09.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/aug/29/oscar-pistorius-400m-world-championships

Some results:

- Dayron Robles of Cuba originally wins World Title in 110 hurdles, but was DQ'ed. American Jason Richardson wins gold as a result. American David Oliver fails to medal.

- Amantle Montsho of Botswana defeated American Allyson Felix to win the Women's 400 Meters. Defending Champion Snaya Richards finishes in 7th.

- American Carmelita Jeter wins gold in Women's 100 Meters. Veronica Campbell-Brown wins silver, Kelly Ann Baptiste with the bronze. Defending champ, Shelley Ann Fraser-Pryce finishes fourth.

The Pole Vault was a great competition! Great to see some Asian success in throwing events by the Chinese and Japanese. Otherwise it would be an bad atmosphere. The Koreans have no clue, what athletics is.

Sucks for Korea's athletes.

Also the fact that South Korea, a country with no track and field history has the ability to host such event while the United States, a country that has been dominate in the sport for decades, does not have the ability to host shows the state of affairs of Track and Field in the United States.

Surely it's more a question of willingness than ability, isn't it?

Not really. Franklin Field has some problems that prevent it from being an American host. Some issues also apply to Lawrence, Kansas, where there is a track stadium there. And Boise is well, Boise....

In prior Olympic bids for the United States, there were post Olympic plans for Olympic Stadiums, none of which involve track and field. The plan for the Olympic Stadium for New York 2012 was to turn it into an American football stadium for the New York Jets, with the ocassional football/soccer game played there. I think the plan for Chicago was to turn the Olympic Stadium into an ampitheatre after the games. The Atlanta Olympic Stadium that hosted Athletics in 1996 turned into a baseball stadium for the Atlanta Braves after the games ended.

Any future Olympics bid by the United States will result in another sport using the Olympic Stadium for use, not track and field.

Franklin Field in Philly, which hosts the Penn Relays would be America's only chance to host a future IAAF World Championships, but it would need major renovations and permission from the University of Pennsylvania. The U of Penn football team also plays at Franklin Field, and they would have to find another place to play (probably at Lincoln Financial Field, the home of the Philadelphia Eagles) while renovations are going on.

I still say that if the likes of MSP, Houston etc ever seriously want to be considered as an Olympic host, it would sure help and build goodwill to focus on hosting an event like to IAAF WCs first.

Minneapolis-St. Paul would be an interesting option, but best to do it before the Summer Olympics, because the Minnesota Olympic Stadium will be converted into a brand new 70,000 seat American Football stadium for the Minnesota Vikings after the Olympics end, which means that the track will be removed. And not only would it house the Vikings for somewhere between 8-12 games, it would also probably host high school football games when the University of Minnesota's football stadium is no go due to weather conditions as well as soccer matches between national teams and club teams. And if those Olympic Games come before The United States hosts another World Cup, the stadium moves to the top of the list of venues for the American bid.

if there is to be a World Championships in an American city, make sure that they win the Summer Olympics bid and also make sure that the city bids for a championships before the Olympics and that the stadium is completed and ready to go before the IAAF World Championships. Before the Olympics is ideal, because (depending on the city) there's going to be a local sports team that may want the Olympic Stadium for their own after the games.

Don't know what Houston would do with it's Olympic Stadium though.

Valerie Adams cemented her place as the best female shotput going into nexts year's Olympics. A rare but regular gold medal for New Zealand at this event. :)

Isinbayeva and Ennis felled, Rudisha rockets in Daegu

DAEGU, South Korea, Aug 30 (Reuters) - Russia's athletics queen Yelena Isinbayeva became the latest victim of what is developing into a curious curse at the world athletics championships as Jessica Ennis lost her heptathlon title and David Rudisha rocketed to 800m gold on Tuesday.

Pole vault Olympic champion and world record holder Isinbayeva featured on the cover of the event's official programme on day four -- and like the cover stars on each of the past three days suffered a shock and ignominious exit.

On day one Australian Olympic and defending world pole vault champion Steve Hooker appeared and swiftly exited without even completing one successful jump.

Day two's cover showcased Usain Bolt -- disqualified from the men's 100m final -- and Monday was the turn of Dayron Robles who was stripped of gold for bumping in the 110m hurdles.

Isinbayeva at least got off the ground, but her failure to clear 4.80 metres was a miserable showing from one of athletics' genuine greats.

Instead Brazil's Fabiana Murer took gold with a distinctly lukewarm 4.85m, way short of Isinbayeva's 5.06m world mark.

These gripping Daegu Games have so far been shaped by high drama and disqualifications -- notably world's fastest man Bolt and the burly Robles -- but finally athletic performance was the focus.

For Ennis, though, it was not the performance she wanted.

Three poor javelin throws where she never got beyond 40 metres left the British athlete trailing Tatyana Chernova with only the 800 metres to go.

She was never going to beat Chernova by the nine seconds she needed to become the first Briton to retain a world title.

"It's a silver medal so I can't beat myself up too much but I obviously wanted that gold," said 25-year-old Ennis. "I haven't shed any tears yet but I might. After the javelin I knew I'd thrown it away."

One athlete you would bet the farm on in 800 metres, though, is Kenyan Rudisha. The rangy Masai simply ran from the front and nobody could catch him, winning in a time of 1:43.91 ahead of Abubaker Kaki of Sudan.

Rudisha is now unbeaten since the 2009 worlds.

Reuters

You can call me a bad person, but yesterday I loved to see Natalia Rodríguez from Spain clearly winning in her 1500m semifinal and Gelete Burka from Ethiopia ending up last, throwing herself to the ground and crying, presumably pretending to be injured or something. It's the final proof that this is all this girl can do when she knows she's not going to win :angry: Unfortunately for her, she was running alone when she "fell" this time, so no one can be accused of it now.

I hope Natalia will finally win the gold medal she should have won in Berlin two years ago. And I also hope she will get a medal in London 2012.

IAAF will not rush to change rule that ousted Bolt

(Reuters) - The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) will not be rushed into revising the controversial false-start rule that sent Usain Bolt crashing out of the world championships 100 meters, a top official said on Wednesday.

The one-and-you-are-done rule has been in effect since January 2010 and most elite sprinters do not like it.

But it was not until the lanky Bolt popped out of his blocks ahead of the starter's gun in Sunday's 100 meters final did the outcry for change spread to the general public.

"There definitely has been feedback," IAAF competitions director Paul Hardy said of the mountain of e-mails that have poured into his and other IAAF departments.

"It is big enough that it may be reviewed," he said. "But remember we are always reviewing our rules."

The IAAF Council, in extraordinary cases, has the authority to make interim changes to rules.

It meets again on Sunday and while it may discuss the Bolt incident it is unlikely to consider any substantial changes, officials told Reuters.

The group that is normally the starting point for rules changes, the IAAF Technical Committee, does not meet again until next year.

Officials adopted the one-and-done rule after a decade of discussions in an attempt to speed up the competition but it can also reduce interest in the sport.

BIGGEST DRAW

The 100 meters was to be the highlight of the Daegu championships, at least in the public's eye, but it went off without the sport's biggest draw.

"I don't think anybody was happy to see Usain Bolt disqualified," Hardy said.

"He is by far and away the biggest name in our sport. We need him," the IAAF official said of the 100 and 200 meters world record holder and Olympic champion.

"But rules are rules, and rules are for everyone."

Reuters

Archived