2011 Athletics World Championships

I think there is a minimum stadium-capacity requirement of about 40,000-43,000 seats to host a world athletics championships.

The United States would be a great host if they could find a suitable stadium. Could the L.A coliseum not have a temporary track added to it?

Although athletics is not a major sport in America, it would attract great crowds certainly.

2011 World 100m leader Asafa Powell of Jamaica has pulled out of the championships. Usain Bolt, who is not in top shape now has an easier ride in defending his 100m title he won in Berlin.

For Brits, the coverage starts on Europsort at 1am.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is a minimum stadium-capacity requirement of about 40,000-43,000 seats to host a world athletics championships.

The United States would be a great host if they could find a suitable stadium. Could the L.A coliseum not have a temporary track added to it?

Although athletics is not a major sport in America, it would attract great crowds certainly.

2011 World 100m leader Asafa Powell of Jamaica has pulled out of the championships. Usain Bolt, who is not in top shape now has an easier ride in defending his 100m title he won in Berlin.

For Brits, the coverage starts on Europsort at 1am.

If they could find one, yes. The only one feasible maybe is Franklin Field in Philadelphia, which seats 55,000 and hosts the Penn Relays. However, I don't think that the University of Pennsylvania would be interested as Franklin Field is also the home of their football team and the World Championships would conflict with the start of their season.

I don't think it would attract great crowds, but it may attract decent crowds. The issue is that Athletics has no home grown American superstar that the average American sportsfan wants to see. Nobody knows who any of the American track athletes are (although many probably refer to Jeremy Wariner as "The White Guy who runs really fast in sunglasses" without knowing his name). However, in the last few weeks, the national media in the States is trying to build up Allyson Felix as the face of the sport in the United States (she's going to have to need an individiual Olympic gold medal to do that). She certaintly could be that if she can win gold in London. She has the talent, she's clean and (I think anyways) she's attractive (so you know there will be people who want her to do commercials if she wins gold).

What's wrong with selling tickets to company employees and schoolchildren? Especially schools? Schoolchildren are the exact type of people that SHOULD be going to the events.

This has allowed for 95% of the tickets to be sold.

Well, handing tickets out for free (they have not been sold!) to company employees and schoolchildren is normally only the last resort when you can't fill your stadia "the natural way".

If they could find one, yes. The only one feasible maybe is Franklin Field in Philadelphia, which seats 55,000 and hosts the Penn Relays. However, I don't think that the University of Pennsylvania would be interested as Franklin Field is also the home of their football team and the World Championships would conflict with the start of their season.

I don't think it would attract great crowds, but it may attract decent crowds. The issue is that Athletics has no home grown American superstar that the average American sportsfan wants to see. Nobody knows who any of the American track athletes are (although many probably refer to Jeremy Wariner as "The White Guy who runs really fast in sunglasses" without knowing his name). However, in the last few weeks, the national media in the States is trying to build up Allyson Felix as the face of the sport in the United States (she's going to have to need an individiual Olympic gold medal to do that). She certaintly could be that if she can win gold in London. She has the talent, she's clean and (I think anyways) she's attractive (so you know there will be people who want her to do commercials if she wins gold).

It's strange because athletics is obviously not popular to U.S sports fans in the same way as baseball, ice-hockey or basketball.

But Americans do tend to support events really well. Back in Atlanta '96, all the morning athletics sessions were packed out (80,000+ fans). That's almost unheard of.

As for Penn track, that's a really strange track. It's bends/straights are configured a little strange.

Aw well. I would love to see the United States hosting. A world champs in the L.A Colosseum would be amazing. But hey ho.

Allyson Felix is a three-time 200m world champ. She also got the gold in the 4x400m relay in Beijing.

She's going for the s00m/400m in Daegu. I believe she's in heat 1 of the 400m. Good luck to her. She'd be the first ever female to accomplish it in the world championships.

Franklin Field cannot support the javelin and hammer (probably the discus as well). Not to mention the funky curve at one end.

NBC promoted four athletes pretty heavily going into Beijing- Gay, Felix, Richards-Ross, and Wariner. None won individual gold. I like Felix, but I don't see her as the face of the sport. Honestly, I think the face next year should be Ashton Eaton. He may be at a point by then to threaten the world record. Brittney Reese is pretty awesome, too, but her event isn't terribly glamerous.

It's strange because athletics is obviously not popular to U.S sports fans in the same way as baseball, ice-hockey or basketball.

But Americans do tend to support events really well. Back in Atlanta '96, all the morning athletics sessions were packed out (80,000+ fans). That's almost unheard of.

As for Penn track, that's a really strange track. It's bends/straights are configured a little strange.

Aw well. I would love to see the United States hosting. A world champs in the L.A Colosseum would be amazing. But hey ho.

Allyson Felix is a three-time 200m world champ. She also got the gold in the 4x400m relay in Beijing.

She's going for the s00m/400m in Daegu. I believe she's in heat 1 of the 400m. Good luck to her. She'd be the first ever female to accomplish it in the world championships.

Felix is missing an individual gold medal at the Olympics. Some say that if she wins an individual gold, she could be that: the face of the sport in the United States. She's only 25 and just recently said that she had one more Olympics to go after London (which means Rio).

Felix is missing an individual gold medal at the Olympics. Some say that if she wins an individual gold, she could be that: the face of the sport in the United States. She's only 25 and just recently said that she had one more Olympics to go after London (which means Rio).

I think Felix is desperate for that 200m gold. Next year she may do it. But she's now starting to take the 400m more seriously. These world championships may reveal alot about her plans.

But those are the Olympics. Aside from a bigger int'l component in the audience, even non-T&F fans will probably buyt cheap T&F tix just so they can have a taste of the Olympic experience...never mind who's actually appearing on the track or what dull events are being contested there.

Besides, ATLANTA 1996 were the MOST Beautiful and Perfect Games in ALL CREATION!! I have spoken!!

But those are the Olympics. Aside from a bigger int'l component in the audience, even non-T&F fans will probably buyt cheap T&F tix just so they can have a taste of the Olympic experience...never mind who's actually appearing on the track or what dull events are being contested there.

Besides, ATLANTA 1996 were the MOST Beautiful and Perfect Games in ALL CREATION!! I have spoken!!

Americans would put up a good show if they ever held the world athletics championships. It;s just the problem of ever finding a venue.

As for Atlanta -- they weren't just the greatest games of all time bur were the highlight of Western civilisation to date.

Watching the opening ceremony...The international commentary has failed!!!

What a shame! Have no idea what's going on.

Sky Sport have really dropped the ball on this one...still amazing to watch though.

The Brits are not off to a good start so far:

http://news.yahoo.com/kenya-sweep-medals-athletics-worlds-142606314.html

The United States lacks an American face of the sport. There is talent with the likes of Allyson Felix, Sanya Richards-Ross, the injured Jeremy Wariner and Tyson Gay, Bernard Lagat (who has said he would retire after the London Olympics) but not a true American born superstar. It's the only sport without one. Tennis has the Williams Sisters, Soccer has Landon Donovan, Snowboarding has Shaun White, Swimming has Michael Phelps and probably Ryan Lochte. Again, Felix could be that. If Richards-Ross shows her 2009 form at these World Championships and at next year's Olympics, she could end up being the face of the sport in the states. Her husband (New York Giants CB Aaron Ross) isn't even that well known outside New York.

We do get to see Richards-Ross vs Felix in the 400 meters, hopefully. I don't know what the exact nature of their off the track relationship is (I doubt that they are friends, although there is probably respect for one another), but we do know that they work well as a team in the relays.

Th 2012 USA Olympic Trials will also probably the last hurrah for a lot of the current USA Track Athletes, those that made the team (Miki Barber, Carmelita Jeter, Danielle Carruthers, Darvis Patton, Bernard Lagat) and those that did not (Lolo Jones, Terrence Trammell, Lisa Barber, Lauryn Williams, Mary Wineberg).

T&F is so over-rated!! It was only that other Blatter-clone, Primo Niebolo, who demanded those minimum 55,000 seat stadia for his IAAFs, giving the impression that his sport is such in demand. The truth is, it ain't. They are too many events, too sweaty and you have idiotic events like the SHOTPUT (I mean is that a sport for frustrated violinists?) and the HAMMER (but do they really throw a Hammer? Of course not!!

Put in Ice Dancing instead and you would GET capacity crowds!! Remove ATHLETICS from the Olympics!!

You don't half talk some ****!

So Usain Bolt is out....I cannnot wait for Ato Boldon's rant about the false start rule when NBC begins its American coverage.

Boldon did not really rant. He was just surprised that what he feared might happen, indeed did happen! But who cares? Bolt I think was a flash in the pan. He had his moment; it's time for another to take his place. I wasn't sorry at all to see him disqualified. Besides, there were too many Jamaicans in that final already. Well, Bolt might have another chance to redeem himself in the 200m.

But hey, Trey Hardee and Eaton of the U.S. win the Decathlon, 1 and 2!!

So Usain Bolt is out....I cannnot wait for Ato Boldon's rant about the false start rule when NBC begins its American coverage.

Personally, I've always been uneasy about the false start rule ever since it was changed from two for disqualification many years ago. The new rule is certainly cleaner than the one against the field rule we had previously, but I don't think it is the best rule for the sport.

Boldon did not really rant. He was just surprised that what he feared might happen, indeed did happen! But who cares? Bolt I think was a flash in the pan. He had his moment; it's time for another to take his place. I wasn't sorry at all to see him disqualified. Besides, there were too many Jamaicans in that final already. Well, Bolt might have another chance to redeem himself in the 200m.

But hey, Trey Hardee and Eaton of the U.S. win the marathon, 1 and 2!!

Ehh... Baron, Hardee and Eaton won the Decathlon and not the marathon ;)

The decathlon was a great competition with different leaders during the events. It's really a great discipline to watch, but it's undervalued discipline. It are great athletes, but they never get the attention they deserve.

Ehh... Baron, Hardee and Eaton won the Decathlon and not the marathon ;)

The decathlon was a great competition with different leaders during the events. It's really a great discipline to watch, but it's undervalued discipline. It are great athletes, but they never get the attention they deserve.

Eeeh, that was already corrected before your posted. ;)

Personally, I've always been uneasy about the false start rule ever since it was changed from two for disqualification many years ago. The new rule is certainly cleaner than the one against the field rule we had previously, but I don't think it is the best rule for the sport.

Go back to the days of second chances for everyone. If this happens next year in London, who will be the new Bradbury?

Archived