COUNTDOWN TO DECISION 2012: July 6

mr.x

GOOD LUCK FOR MADRID.... IS THE BEST AND THE ONLY ONE WHO NEVER HAS ORGANISIZED AN OLYMPIC GAMES...

and so what? :rolleyes:

If spanish absolutly wanted games in Madrid, they would have had to  choose Madrid over Barcelona in 1992...

If your like a Games in NYC, why don't you chose NYC over LA in 1984?? In 1984 LA had already hosted an Olympics in 1932 and NYC could be great... :suspect:

First I dont particulary want games in NYC

Secondly, Spain is not the USA. you cannot claim to have the games every 20 years. They can...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmmm that is a good point....why didn't the Spanish Olympic Committee choose their "wonderful" captial city to host the 1992 Olympics, but rather chsoe the smaller city of Barcelona....(and no this is not the same as the USA chosing LA, because the USA has many large cities that are capable of hosting, and therefore more options and oppurtunities to host, unlike Spain)....

1. Don't compare the USA with Spain, but probably with Europe (size and population)....and then...you will notice that there are also a lot of European cities that could organize Olympics...

2. If Barcelona was the choice of Spain for 1992, it is simply based on the fact that against the widely spread argument of a "centralistic system" Spain devolops also other Areas of the Country. And the Olympic Games of 1992 have been used to "redesign" Barcelona, as well as the Expo 1992 was used to redesign the a southern city named Sevilla.

Madrid lost in 1966 against Munich (OG's 1972) and parked the plans for OG's for a longer time. But anyway...

...why should Madrid not bid this time?

Fact is...There have been no OG's in Madrid before. The argument with "why Barcelona?" can be categorized under "humid thoughts".

3. And regarding the amount of organized OG's....I'm proud to say that Spain only organized one....But allthough it is a long time ago (1992)....a lot of people still remember them as "one of the best games" (if not the best) - That's the way Spain does things....Quality instead of Quantity !!!!

Regards

hmmmm that is a good point....why didn't the Spanish Olympic Committee choose their "wonderful" captial city to host the 1992 Olympics, but rather chsoe the smaller city of Barcelona....(and no this is not the same as the USA chosing LA, because the USA has many large cities that are capable of hosting, and therefore more options and oppurtunities to host, unlike Spain)....

1. Don't compare the USA with Spain, but probably with Europe (size and population)....and then...you will notice that there are also a lot of European cities that could organize Olympics...

2. If Barcelona was the choice of Spain for 1992, it is simply based on the fact that against the widely spread argument of a "centralistic system" Spain devolops also other Areas of the Country. And the Olympic Games of 1992 have been used to "redesign" Barcelona, as well as the Expo 1992 was used to redesign the a southern city named Sevilla.

Madrid lost in 1966 against Munich (OG's 1972) and parked the plans for OG's for a longer time. But anyway...

...why should Madrid not bid this time?

Fact is...There have been no OG's in Madrid before. The argument with "why Barcelona?" can be categorized under "humid thoughts".

3. And regarding the amount of organized OG's....I'm proud to say that Spain only organized one....But allthough it is a long time ago (1992)....a lot of people still remember them as "one of the best games" (if not the best) - That's the way Spain does things....Quality instead of Quantity !!!!

Regards

So nothing at all to do with the influence of Juan Antonio Samaranch and his persuasive favour calling from IOC colleagues? Of course not. The IOC fixing something, acting corruptly, doing a deal? Perish the thought.

Moscow is going down  :P  :P

U must be kidding?  :upside: If there is an outsider - it's NYC for sure! I think everybody knows it right now!   :glare:

are you sure that you shouldn't be asking yourself that question....

NYC may have lost the stadium deal, which ahs greatly hurt their bid...but hey at least the bid is only going to be hurt and "dead" one month up until the vote, rather then dead and a lost cause throughout the entire race like Moscow.....Moscow shouldn't have even made the shortlist, and it is a shame that Rio or Itsanbul couldn't have taken it's place on the shortlist

OMG..this is stupid!

NY supporters are acting very inmature, please accept that your bid has faults..and try to focus on positive things..not only to bother other bids..!!! im sick of that.

Moscow is more in the race than NY..thats for sure..at least they have a stadium on place...

OMG..this is stupid!

NY supporters are acting very inmature, please accept that your bid has faults..and try to focus on positive things..not only to bother other bids..!!! im sick of that.

Moscow is more in the race than NY..thats for sure..at least they have a stadium on place...

ok it's getting old everytime you read somehting you don't like you blame it on the NY supporters saying they are just bitter...he!! if you knew how to read you would see that no NYC supporter even initially brought up Madrid in this thread lol

pal I'm not bitter at all.....I think it is you who has things to get over....

as for Moscow....no they have ALWAYS been out of this race from the very start (unlike NYC).....and did not even deserve to make the shortlist....

OMG..this is stupid!

ok it's getting old everytime you read somehting you don't like you blame it on the NY supporters saying they are just bitter...he!! if you knew how to read you would see that no NYC supporter even initially brought up Madrid in this thread lol

as for Moscow....no they have ALWAYS been out of this race from the very start (unlike NYC).....and did not even deserve to make the shortlist....

Of course that Moscow deserved to be in this race..they were the historic bid..they have a lot of history and importance in olympism history, same as USA, so understand..Moscow is in this race, and they are important..and they will use this importance to get votes!

:unclesam:

So nothing at all to do with the influence of Juan Antonio Samaranch and his persuasive favour calling from IOC colleagues? Of course not. The IOC fixing something, acting corruptly, doing a deal? Perish the thought.

When I read you comment regarding the "Samaranch-calls" it seems to me that you assume that all the other IOC-members are sitting at their living-room and simply waiting till 6th July (of course doing nothing)....

It happens now, it has happened in the past and it will happen in the future....It's called "lobbying"....and of course....BY ALL BIDS....

Regards,,,

When I read you comment regarding the "Samaranch-calls" it seems to me that you assume that all the other IOC-members are sitting at their living-room and simply waiting till 6th July (of course doing nothing)....

It happens now, it has happened in the past and it will happen in the future....It's called "lobbying"....and of course....BY ALL BIDS....

Regards,,,

I was referring to Barcelona winning the right to host the 1992 Games. Yes, indeed they were very good and this was universally enthused, much to do with the regeneration of the city and the legacy they left behind which it still present to this day.

But there is little doubt that it was the influence of Samaranch which persuaded many IOC members to give their vote to Barcelona. He called in many favours in those months before the vote.

OMG..this is stupid!

Of course that Moscow deserved to be in this race..they were the historic bid..they have a lot of history and importance in olympism history, same as USA, so understand..Moscow is in this race, and they are important..and they will use this importance to get votes!

Leipzig and Istanbul have better technical bids than Moscow and if those bids aren't in the shortlist, so should Moscow. This bid shouldn't be in the shortlist. Moscow does have a good technical bid for 2012 but this bid doesn't match with the quality of Leipzig and Istanbul (and this city has been rejected over and over again).

The stadium issue with NYC has brought down the bid to somewhere between Madrid (3rd place) and Moscow (5th place).

24 DAYS!

OMG..this is stupid!

You know, you have the same argument everytime - blah, blah, blah, Moscow has the worst bid just because it's in this f###ing Russia, I don't even know where is it, thay have a bad political stuff, there are always snow, so, it's bad, right?   :devil: U don't know anything about Moscow and Russia, the things are different now from the 90's - Moscow has a strong bid, read its bid book just for information!  :glare: Regards!

Leipzig and Istanbul have better technical bids than Moscow and if those bids aren't in the shortlist, so should Moscow. This bid shouldn't be in the shortlist. Moscow does have a good technical bid for 2012 but this bid doesn't match with the quality of Leipzig and Istanbul (and this city has been rejected over and over again).

Not true, I can say just the same thing - read the bid book!  :upside:

OMG..this is stupid!

The stadium issue with NYC has brought down the bid to somewhere between Madrid (3rd place) and Moscow (5th place).

24 DAYS!

i dont think so Mr.X, you know i think Moscow is going to get a better place than NY.

You just make a trashy statement...you havent read the bid books, either I, but i know for sure that MOscow deserves more than Leizpieg and Istambul to be in the shortlist, read the history and sport importance to the IOC part again, Russia has  a important part on IOC members.

I have scanned over the bid books and mini-bid books......Leipzig had a very compact venue plan, Istanbul has already started building and has a lot of venues and infrastructure ready.

And I have to say that this has always been my stance on Leipzig, Istanbul, and Moscow.

and FYI, I am not a NYC supporter.

OMG..this is stupid!

24 DAYS!

i dont think so Mr.X, you know i think Moscow is going to get a better place than NY.

You just make a trashy statement...you havent read the bid books, either I, but i know for sure that MOscow deserves more than Leizpieg and Istambul to be in the shortlist, read the history and sport importance to the IOC part again, Russia has  a important part on IOC members.

Thanks for the support again, Mexico. The thing is not just that Russia is an important part of the Olympic movement. For me OG are important to show a completely new Russia, 'cause most of views on Russia and Moscow are very "old", I mean nobody cares that we have a new country and a new city right now! I'm just so tired to speak about it   :down:

I have scanned over the bid books and mini-bid books......Leipzig had a very compact venue plan, Istanbul has already started building and has a lot of venues and infrastructure ready.

And I have to say that this has always been my stance on Leipzig, Istanbul, and Moscow.

Liezpieg is small-boring city in Germany..they didnt deserve a place in the short list!

Liezpieg is small-boring city in Germany..they didnt deserve a place in the short list!

Sounds quite ignorant.

OMG..this is stupid!

You know, you have the same argument everytime - blah, blah, blah, Moscow has the worst bid just because it's in this f###ing Russia, I don't even know where is it, thay have a bad political stuff, there are always snow, so, it's bad, right?   :devil: U don't know anything about Moscow and Russia, the things are different now from the 90's - Moscow has a strong bid, read its bid book just for information!  :glare: Regards!

Not true, I can say just the same thing - read the bid book!  :upside:

Ah well look what I've started NYC vs Moscow bid - back like the good ol' days. Anyway no-one understands or actually cares about the new Russia today. We have changed dramatically since the break-up of the Soviet Union, and this bid is a representation of how much we've chaged.

The prerception of the media and the wider public outside of Russia of Russia is tended to be negative, and even though you may not admit it there is still some prejudice around.

As I am writing this NYC have their stadium - congratualations  :D. Some people think we shouldn't make the shortlist, then tell me how the ioc decide us to be in the shortlist. I know that despite all the political indifferences and the deficincies in the bids - all cities have a chance to win.

So thanks to mexico 1968 and Mulder for your support and just to show how close this race is.

Sounds quite ignorant.

you are quite ignorant!

I have to reply to this one,

To mnmulder and russian,  I am going to be the first one to agree with you.  I think that Russia is a new country now and I think the IOC knows this.  This is why Moscow was kept on the shortlist over Rio.

I also think that the IOC has a history of awarding games to countries/cities that have stepped up and have come from the worst.  Look at Rome in 1960 and Tokyo in 1968.  Both countries were war-torn and not very popular after WWII.  However, the IOC chose to go to these countries.  See what can happen?  Has the IOC changed their policies?  They went to Mexico in 1968, Seoul in 1988 and Barcelona in 1992.  All of which have had a troubled past!!!!

I still think that the IOC has kept Moscow on this list for a reason.  I will find it very surprising if they are the first one dropped from the shortlist come voting day.  There had to be a reason why Moscow was kept and the IOC doesn't want to make a fool of them by dropping them first.  Like it or not, Russia has a BIG Olympic History.

Sounds quite ignorant.

you are quite ignorant!

First of all it is Leipzig not "Liezpieg". So maybe you confuse the city with an other one  :laugh:  

Have you been there?

Leipzig is a nice city. It is not huge - but Leipzig was also able to host Olympic Games.

The IOC has put on its website the report that could determine the fate of all the sports and events that are in the Olympic program now. Man, talk about a download here: 265 pages in .pdf format!

Sounds quite ignorant.

you are quite ignorant!

First of all it is Leipzig not "Liezpieg". So maybe you confuse the city with an other one  :laugh:  

Have you been there?

Leipzig is a nice city. It is not huge - but Leipzig was also able to host Olympic Games.

Sorry, only one remark regarding Leipzig....

Of course I believe that they would have been capable to organize Olympic Games....but....

From where would come the required volunteers for such Games?....

If we consider that OG's require approx. 70k-90k volunteers, and Leipzig has < 500k inhabitants....¿From where?...

Sorry, but I believe there are a lot other better options (cities)in Germany (starting with Berlin). And that's probably the biggest problem why Leipzig didn't pass to the last round.

Regard...

Who says you need 70,000-90,000 volunteers for an Olympic Games? Athens was the only exception as they needed more volunteers so it'll cost ATHOC less. Sydney had 50,000 volunteers and Atlanta had even less.

You don't draw volunteers from just in the city, you draw it from your country and even from nearby countries. Germany is geographically a small country with a huge population (85 million) making the country quite dense. Drawing volunteers will not be a problem.

The Golden Games of Atlanta had like, 47,700+...but that was spread out over the outlying venues as well:

- the white-water rafting site on the Ocoee (sp?) on the Tennessee border

- the 4 satellite soccer sites (DC; Tampa; Athens, GA; and Birmingham)

etc.

And Atlanta metro is like a 400,000+ city only.

The Golden Games of Atlanta had like, 47,700+...but that was spread out over the outlying venues as well:

- the white-water rafting site on the Ocoee (sp?) on the Tennessee border

- the 4 satellite soccer sites (DC; Tampa; Athens, GA; and Birmingham)

etc.

And Atlanta metro is like a 400,000+ city only.

The city itself is about 400,000+ people, right? Isn't the Atlanta METRO AREA has the population of about 3 million?

Archived