Closing Ceremony

Since these games started with James Bond, they'll end with James Bond! Daniel Craig will reenact the scenes from Moonraker when 007 goes to Rio...

...but I don't know if Richard Kiel would reprise his role as Jaws. :P

Vancouver had to have *the* most anti climax of any closing ceremony I have seen in recent times. Awful.

Sounds like most of the London music will be tied in to a greater cultural/pop culture theme - possibly just the last few acts being pure concert setting.

It wasn't bad at all. It was passable not awful.

A couple of days ago, Dr Rogge was reported to have said this about London's Games:

"All in all, I would say these are really very good games, and a I'm a very happy man,"

Actually, what Rogge really was thinking was... "What the...?!? I wanted more of these guys filling the stands at the venues!:"

:P:lol:

• Like 1

Boo. Channel 9 is broadcasting the Closing Ceremony at 9:30 pm (Monday)! Although they are showing it live at 6 am, given that's a work day, Most peeps will need to wait till the evening at a horrid time slot.

They want to show crappy the premiere of the new crappy Big Brother and new Underbelly series before it!

I'll probably watch a bit of it (record it) and get a better copy later. ;)

Edited by Lord David
  • Like 1

Since these games started with James Bond, they'll end with James Bond! Daniel Craig will reenact the scenes from Moonraker when 007 goes to Rio...

...but I don't know if Richard Kiel would reprise his role as Jaws. :P

I hope 007 don't destroy Sugar Loaf cable car again...

^_^

It was kind of good fun during the late Juan Antonio Samaranch's reign when Organising Committees and the home crowd would hang out for his Games verdict during the Closing Ceremony.

He would proclaim in his speech "These Games were the best ever " or something similar and the audience would go off like a firecracker.

In a deliberate change of style, Dr Rogge seems to have shied away from these sorts of 'best ever' proclamations and and goes for something that does not promote the one-upmanship between successive Games, eg "exceptional Games, etc".

A couple of days ago, Dr Rogge was reported to have said this about London's Games:

"All in all, I would say these are really very good games, and a I'm a very happy man,"

http://nbcsports.msn...olympic_sports/

God, Samaranch, far from supposedly being the diplomat he claimed he was, was such a imperial agitator maybe without intending to be one actually. Why and how these sports organizations (IOC, FIFA, IAAF) become the personal realm and fiefdoms of single personalities is beyond me. Altho it would be endlessly fascinating to learn how they do become the personal "kingdoms" of such individuals.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

God, Samaranch...

Well said Baron...Couldn't have put it better myself. Im sure he'll have a big smile on his face knowing his herculian effort to turn around a dying event into a major, and much love ultimate sports event is stronger than ever...

He was an unforgiving Hardarse, but we are better for it...:lol:

Was talking to one of the closing ceremony performers at the diving tonight. She revealed:

There will be a skating sequence (she was a skater in it and said it was funny)

The bands will include Queen, The Who, Spice Girls and Annie Lennox

Rio's handover WILL be a Carneval!

Why and how these sports organizations (IOC, FIFA, IAAF) become the personal realm and fiefdoms of single personalities is beyond me.

My favourite London olympic moment will forever be the tremendous booing of that old crook Sepp Blatter, who has hung onto FIFA like a bloated corpse, propped up by banana republics and ex-soviet ogliarchs.

Switzerland is a lovely country in so many ways, but the Swiss set-up has always put money over morals.

Was talking to one of the closing ceremony performers at the diving tonight. She revealed:

There will be a skating sequence (she was a skater in it and said it was funny)

The bands will include Queen, The Who, Spice Girls and Annie Lennox

Rio's handover WILL be a Carneval!

Couldn't resist... Haha. Sorry.

BBC News this evening.

Two strong earthquakes have struck north-western Iran, leaving at least 180 people dead and more than 1,300 injured, officials say.

Any chance of a 'moment of respect' at the closing ceremony?

Since it's Iran, it may work as a good moment to promote world peace and togetherness.