^^ I think they're trying to justify that the London Handover at the Beijing 2008 Olympics was so out of flow with the Chinese production, no visible link between the rich British and Chinese cultures (which there easily could have been) and more importantly, the apparent lack of use of the projection wrap around the roof (or not really taking advantage of it and showing basic animations).

I think Rio wants to present something that doesn't seem like it's own during the Closing Ceremony, but easily flows from the previous segment, to the next.

As for train wrecks, London could have easily have done a huge homage to Chinese culture (receiving huge cheers from the mostly Chinese crowd in the process), by putting an actual destination for that double decker bus. The location being :London's Chinatown of course!

U don't have to. How did the Sydney handover connect with Atlanta's closing? (THe Ozzies cringed but the people at the stadium and worldwide reception was actually favorable with all those inflatable 'roos. I LOVED THEM!!) How did Greece's handover blend with the Sydney Closing? Not at all. Beijing with Athens, other than it was a very colorful presentation--but had ZILCH to do with the contemporary performances of the Athens closing. Without TOTALLY knowing the composition of the larger Closing ceremony, I don't see how the incoming host city can "blend" its show WITHOUT totally sacrificing its own personality and what it wants to tell?? It just depends on if it's a good handover presentation or not. A lot of the winter ones are good -- Lillehammer, Salt Lake, Torino, even the heavy-handed Russian one-- because the stadia are somewhat smaller than the huge summer Olympic stadia. London's was quite lost in the huge Birds Nest stadium.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

handover ceremony por neneu10, no Flickr

Wow I love this video. The kids are so cute and a great introduction to the city and venues. Rio is such a beautiful city, I'm really looking forward to 4 years time and really hope I can go then

To be honest I never liked that from Samaranch. The "best games ever" term is just a matter of personal taste instead of a fact he can imput just because he's the president of the IOC. Speaking about

Atlanta's closing ceremony was mostly a dud, after all, Sydney's Handover was proclaimed as the highlight of the whole show!

Athens had some link in Sydney's closing when the Australian children (of Greek heritage) sung the Greek national anthem.

Sochi's was good, because it took full advantage of the projections and such that were in Vancouver's Ceremonies. In comparison, London failed to use such elements from Beijing's Ceremonies, especially since they were there to use (yes, they only used such things for basic animations and such).

I think that if Rio is offering something which blends in the London closing, or has some link with London/UK, the most basic would be of course Duran Duran singing "Rio" prior to the handover ceremony.

^^ What about Stevie Wonder singing "Happy Birthday" at the closing ceremonies, if that wasn't the definition of "tacky" then I don't know what is.

Oh and plenty of critics stated that Sydney's handover segment was the best part of an otherwise lackluster closing. Compared to the Opening, more-so.

^^ What about Stevie Wonder singing "Happy Birthday" at the closing ceremonies, if that wasn't the definition of "tacky" then I don't know what is.

Oh and plenty of critics stated that Sydney's handover segment was the best part of an otherwise lackluster closing. Compared to the Opening, more-so.

I'll admit the Sydney Handover was good; even I liked it. But the rest of the show was enjoyable. You're just a very prejudiced anti-American person, that's all...and it colors a lot of your posts here.

And Baron, your opinion isn't ever so slightly coloured by the fact that Atlanta was the one you were involved in? I do understand that protective instinct!

If I am honest, the only bit of either Atlanta Ceremony I could recall before joining here, was Ali lighting the Cauldron whereas others had stuck in the mind more.

Edited by FDLondon

#1 - And Baron, your opinion isn't ever so slightly coloured by the fact that Atlanta was the one you were involved in? I do understand that protective instinct!

#2 - If I am honest, the only bit of either Atlanta Ceremony I could recall before joining here, was Ali lighting the Cauldron whereas others had stuck in the mind more.

#1 = Of course not. Not at all. ;)

#2 = Actually, I hated the idea of Ali as the final lighter. ANd I have that on record in my book. Abhorrent choice. But that's another story.

Disagree. Opening was a stunner; and Closing was not the greatest but quite enjoyable.

The Atlanta opening ceremony was just an American version of Barcelona's. No new ideas, just bigger versions of the fantastic Barcelona ceremonies... Right down to the blue cloth on stadium floor . Atlanta copied Barcelona.

I have spoken to many IOC members who were highly disappointed with Atlanta- and it was because of Atlanta that Chicago came last in the bid to host the 2016 games.

• Like 1

#1 - The Atlanta opening ceremony was just an American version of Barcelona's. No new ideas, just bigger versions of the fantastic Barcelona ceremonies... Right dow#1n to the blue cloth on stadium floor . Atlanta copied Barcelona.

#2 - I have spoken to many IOC members who were highly disappointed with Atlanta- and it was because of Atlanta that Chicago came last in the bid to host the 2016 games.

#1 - I agree with you. It used the template of Barcelona's OC. But it was pretty good considering there wasn't much to go with, Ceremonies-wise, from that region. Let's be technically correcet about this. Barcelona's tarp was blue, yes. But Atlanta's was a blue-green and it may have appeared "blue" under some lighting; but it was closer to green because of Atlanta's color-scheme. And ya know, Sydney had the "brown" tarp too, so going by your argument, Sydney copied Atlanta since Sydney came right after.

#2 - That's rich. They PICKED Atlanta. They APPROVED the formats; so what are they complaining about? And that complaining is from the same people who probably "promised their votes" to CHicago. :rolleyes: So how can you trust the fork-tongued IOC'ers. Yet, they got a good show from Salt Lake, six years after Atlanta...and Salt Lake's Ceremonies are, I still, think a little better than Vancouver's because they were staged in a REAL winter setting, with real ice and the exterior elements, not in some pansy, nellie, safe-enclosed setting. So that story you got was B/S and probably from the same individuals who didn't like giving it to the US, no matter what. I mean, there are dog people and there are cat people...and the twain shall never meet. Plus, it was the revenue-sharing issue that was Chciago's Achilles heel and 2016 was really going to Rio, a NEW frontier, no matter what excuse others may have told you.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

#1 - I agree with you. It used the template of Barcelona's OC. But it was pretty good considering there wasn't much to go with, Ceremonies-wise, from that region. Well ya know, Sydney had the "brown" tarp too, so going by your argument, Sydney copied Atlanta since Sydney came right after.

Barcelona used the Blue cloth to represent the Mediterranean.

Atlanta used the blue cloth because Barcelona did.

Sydney used a sandy-to-black cloth to represent the ocean floor/desert/dry land.

So no, Sydney did not copy either Barcelona or Atlanta, but it is clear Atlanta copied Barcelona.

Barcelona used the Blue cloth to represent the Mediterranean.

Atlanta used the blue cloth because Barcelona did.

Sydney used a sandy-to-black cloth to represent the ocean floor/desert/dry land.

So no, Sydney did not copy either Barcelona or Atlanta, but it is clear Atlanta copied Barcelona.

Excuse me. I handled the Atlanta tarp; and it was a blue-green. Yes, Sydney's was an "earth-colored" shade. But Sydney came after Atlanta, so I say that Sydney copied Atlanta because it came right after. ;)

And you do know that Barcelona copied their "Mediterranean sea idea" from (#1) the Auckland 1990 CWG Games which used the Pacific ocean; and (#2) the 1991 Mediterranean Games in Athens where Samaranch was booed when he appeared? Yes, performers were waving sheets of blue in Athens about a year before Barcelona unveiled their "Med" sea idea. :rolleyes:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

#2 - That's rich. They PICKED Atlanta. They APPROVED the formats; so what are they complaining about? And that complaining is from the same people who probably "promised their votes" to CHicago. :rolleyes: So how can you trust the fork-tongued IOC'ers. Yet, they got a good show from Salt Lake, six years after Atlanta...and Salt Lake's Ceremonies are, I still, think a little better than Vancouver's because they were staged in a REAL winter setting, with real ice and the exterior elements, not in some pansy, nellie, safe-enclosed setting. So that story you got was B/S and probably from the same individuals who didn't like giving it to the US, no matter what. I mean, there are dog people and there are cat people...and the twain shall never meet. Plus, it was the revenue-sharing issue that was Chciago's Achilles heel and 2016 was really going to Rio, a NEW frontier, no matter what excuse others may have told you.

Hmm... Well only 19 out of 94 IOC members wanted the USA. to host the games in Chicago at the final vote. That says it all really.

Hmm... Well only 19 out of 94 IOC members wanted the USA. to host the games in Chicago at the final vote. That says it all really.

So what? That's history now...not unless you want to take this farther??

Where are you from? I did answer your earlier question. Maybe you can reciprocate the favor..or would you prefer to stay in the shadows?

Excuse me. I handled the Atlanta tarp; and it was a blue-green. Yes, Sydney's was an "earth-colored" shade. But Sydney came after Atlanta, so I say that Sydney copied Atlanta because it came right after. ;)

And you do know that Barcelona copied their "Mediterranean sea idea" from (#1) the Auckland 1990 CWG Games which used the Pacific ocean; and (#2) the 1991 Mediterranean Games in Athens where Samaranch was booed when he appeared? Yes, performers were waving sheets of blue in Athens about a year before Barcelona unveiled their "Med" sea idea. :rolleyes:

We all know that - but we are no discussing who invented a blue cloth for the stadium: the blue blue cloth made perfect sense for Auckland because they were telling the story of how their nation grew out of the sea, Athens and Barcelona used blue to represent the Mediterranean - but Atlanta used blue because........ ?!?! The only thing that comes close is the Mississippi segment, but the Mississippi is a brown narrow river , not an ocean. The blue cloth made no sense in Atlanta.

So what? That's history now...not unless you want to take this farther??

Where are you from? I did answer your earlier question. Maybe you can reciprocate the favor..or would you prefer to stay in the shadows?

I am from Sydney and worked for SOCOG between 1996-2000.

We all know that - but we are no discussing who invented a blue cloth for the stadium: the blue blue cloth made perfect sense for Auckland because they were telling the story of how their nation grew out of the sea, Athens and Barcelona used blue to represent the Mediterranean - but Atlanta used blue because........ ?!?! The only thing that comes close is the Mississippi segment, but the Mississippi is a brown narrow river , not an ocean. The blue cloth made no sense in Atlanta.

I am from Sydney and worked for SOCOG between 1996-2000.

OK, thank you. If you insist on "blue", then I don't know. Why don't you ask Don Mischer's office since they chose that.

For those who still don't know:

"La gran bandera" The Great Flag segment in Barcelona OC was also a copy what Chile did in 1990 in the opening Gala for Patricio Aylwin goverment after Pinochet left the power and democracy return to the country.

In this section, welcoming democracy again, a giant Chilean flag covered the court.

THAT HAPPENED IN MARCH 1990!!!

Atlanta's closing ceremony was mostly a dud, after all, Sydney's Handover was proclaimed as the highlight of the whole show!

Athens had some link in Sydney's closing when the Australian children (of Greek heritage) sung the Greek national anthem.

If I'm not wrong, the same actress who kindled the flame for Sydney in Olympia months before also lead the other priestess at the handover act.

If I'm not wrong, the same actress who kindled the flame for Sydney in Olympia months before also lead the other priestess at the handover act.

Yeah, 2000 - 2004 was the reign of Thalia Prokopiu as High Priestess; and she also lit the flame when it was Athens' turn.

The Atlanta opening ceremony was just an American version of Barcelona's. No new ideas, just bigger versions of the fantastic Barcelona ceremonies... Right down to the blue cloth on stadium floor . Atlanta copied Barcelona.

Hm. Well, Atlanta's OC did have the opening countdown on the big screen, the artistic segment, the parade of athletes, and a relay around the track featuring the final torch-bearers. So I guess they did copy Barcelona.

Wait - aren't those part of every Olympic OC?

I'll admit there were some similarities - but I might call "How Y'all Doin'?" an homage to Barcelona's "Hola" rather than an imitation. Anyway, are you really going to fault them for the color of the ground covering? Really? What color do you think would have been appropriate for Atlanta, would have looked good on TV, and also would have been original? Frankly, IMO, the blue looked a lot better than the dirt-colored covering in Sydney.

I have spoken to many IOC members who were highly disappointed with Atlanta- and it was because of Atlanta that Chicago came last in the bid to host the 2016 games.

Some IOC members were furious with Atlanta because of games-time logistics problem and overt commercialization (which, by the way, was shocking in 1996 because it was the first true post-Cold War, post-globalization Games - but now it's the norm and nobody complains). I seriously doubt Chicago lost out because of Atlanta's OC, which is what you're implying. It came in last because of the revenue dispute, period.