Closing Ceremony

Hi everyone:

Regarding John Barry's Dances With Wolves :) From the perspective of a professional classical musician who was AT the closing ceremonies in person. LOL.

When I heard the theme...my first thought was "confusion...why are they using an american themed piece for this?" Then it kicked in. It was a "process of elimination" decision to use one of John Barry's best scores AND not piss anyone off at the same time...

John Barry is one of the most successful British film score composers ever.and by using a theme of his for the closing ceremony, it ties things in with his James Bond music from the opening ceremony...(i.e. the James Bond movies.) This "arch" return format is used in many performances...

So..which oscar winning theme to use? We have Born Free, Out of Africa, Lion in Winter and Dances with Wolves.

But...we can't have anything "badly British" associated with the music...so...

Lion in Winter plot discusses lots of British Royalty deceit...not good.

Out of Africa shows Britain repressing the Kenyans during WW1...not good.

Born Free was OK..but it has everything to do with animal rights....and some Brits wanted to get rid of poor Elsa...

What's left? Dances With Wolves. Yes, it shows the US government treating the Native Americans like crap...but hey, it doesn't show Britain in a bad light. LOL. I say this being an American.

...AND Dances With Wolves actually is a reference to the New World continent where Rio is located leading into the next Olympics...The actual theme used chosen from the score were "the prarie theme" - relating to the wide expanse of prarie and land of the American continent of which Rio is a part...(Note; the John Dunbar trumpet theme was chosen to put out the torch.)

I do think a lot of thought went into which John Barry score to use and how to use it...

An added note.

Attending the closing ceremonies was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Considering my screen name (which is a reference to Freddie) and Queen was my favorite rock group...I was in a state of amazement through most of all of that...

I found it a bit out of place. First, because it's a very American theme for a very American movie (even if it was composed by a Briton), although the music had been genuinely British throughout the ceremony.

I totally agree. For me, that music screams Americana.

I totally agree. For me, that music screams Americana.

It had gravitas, but I had a moment of 'but that's American'. I suppose a good score is a good score - Wimbledon sometimes uses the 'Gattaca' soundtrack from Michael Nyman in waiting periods, but I suppose that's much more of an obscure film to begin with, even if, it too is American with a British composer.

Interesting that Gavin has had much less acclaim than Boyle in the British press, lots of sniping on twitter that he favoured people he works with in a non-olympics capacity etc, feathering his own nest etc.

That was, for me, the best Closing Ceremony of an Olympic Games ever. Well produced, excellent performances (mostly live), few boring bits, very fun vibe. Highlights for me were Freedom 90 by George, the Who, Waterloo Sunset with the Davies brothers, Eric Idle and Emeli Sandé. As expected I bawled when it was over. On to Rio!

And sorry for being absent from here the last few months. Big changes afoot: I'm moving to New Zealand in a couple of weeks (Auckland, precisely).

• Like 1

That was, for me, the best Closing Ceremony of an Olympic Games ever. Well produced, excellent performances (mostly live), few boring bits, very fun vibe. Highlights for me were Freedom 90 by George, the Who, Waterloo Sunset with the Davies brothers, Eric Idle and Emeli Sandé. As expected I bawled when it was over. On to Rio!

And sorry for being absent from here the last few months. Big changes afoot: I'm moving to New Zealand in a couple of weeks (Auckland, precisely).

I totaly agree!!!!!!!

also

The John Barry theme from Dances with wolves used at the end was made in to a song called Here come the heroes for the remembrance day service in the Riyal Albert hall. As is sometimes the case with film music it develops its own bravos away from the film it was originally written for,

I rate the film as one of the best films ever made, and its one of my faverout film soundtracks. If they were going to use a piece by John Barry they chose the write one.

I totaly agree!!!!!!!

also

The John Barry theme from Dances with wolves used at the end was made in to a song called Here come the heroes for the remembrance day service in the Riyal Albert hall. As is sometimes the case with film music it develops its own bravos away from the film it was originally written for,

I rate the film as one of the best films ever made, and its one of my faverout film soundtracks. If they were going to use a piece by John Barry they chose the write one.

Interesting...didn't know about the theme's new role. It makes sense; however, as that trumpet theme's underlying harmony and melododic intervals are based upon TAPS...which is used here in the states at military funerals and when lowering flags (or in the dances w/ wolves version...putting out torches...LOL.)

Good that you're back, Adrian. That way I can ask you: Was that really you who posted this? It sounded too vulgar to be really a posting of yours.

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/21228-london-2012-olympic-cauldron/page__st__2930#entry363550

Yes that was me!! Lol!

Just needed a break from all the endless carping - blah - blah - blah! Still I was a tad vulgar!

I guess I was so involved in 2012 - the ceremonies etc. some of the criticism was harsh & sometimes too close to the bone!

• 2 months later...

Olympics Closing Ceremony was the most watched TV show in three decades with more than 24.5million viewers

The closing ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games was the most watched TV programme for the last three decades, according to new figures released today.

A total of 24.46 million people tuned in to BBC1 to see the finale of the Games on August 12, making it the most popular programme since 1981.

Together with the opening ceremony of the Games, they are the only programmes from the current century to make the top 10 list of the most watched programmes in the past 31 years.

It featured performances from Madness, Take That and The Spice Girls as well as athletes from 204 countries who had taken part in the London Olympics.

The TV audience for the Games’ closing ceremony was more than that for Princess Diana’s Panorama Special in 1995, Torvill and Dean’s Olympic Ice Dance Championship in 1994 and the Only Fools and Horses episode ‘Time on Our Hands’ that aired in 1996 on BBC1.

And it also beat the 24.24million who tuned into the Olympic Games’ opening ceremony on July 27.

The two Olympics ceremonies are the only programmes from the 21st century to feature in the top 10 list.

More than twice the number of people who watched the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona (11 million) watched the closing ceremony of the London Olympics.

The audience was 28 times the 859,000 people who watched the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta USA.

However, more than 1.4million people watching either the opening or closing ceremonies of the London Games did not watch any other sporting coverage.

Second on the list of the most watched programmes in the past three decades was the Christmas special of Only Fools and Horses shown on December 29, 1996, which attracted an audience of 24.35million.

The figures are based on a study of official BARB viewing figures by market analysts Kantar Media.

All the other most-watched programmes or films are from the 1980s and 1990s, said Kantar Media.

The top 10 most watched programmes since 1981 is based on analysis of single programmes, single broadcasts and single channel and excludes programmes simultaneously shown on more than one channel.

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

/\/\ That's MOST WATCHED in the UK -- still an interesting factoid that it's probably the first Closing to draw higher viewing numbers than the Opening. Hmmmm. Or could the difference have been made by all those strange people in the mosh pits at Opening? Being excluded from Closing, they all turned on their TV sets at home, thus bumping up the Closing numbers?? :lol:

Where was Kylie Minogue? I didn't see her portion.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I think it could be because the Olympic fever probably hadn't caught that many Britons yet on opening day. The experience of the Games and especially the brilliant performances by British athletes probably infected people with that Olympic fever who weren't that much interested in the Games at their start. And that might have led also to the larger viewing figures for the closing ceremony.

The other possible reason is that on Sunday nights, more people tend to stay home and watch TV because work starts again the next morning - while on Friday nights, they rather want to spend the night out since they don't have to get up early the next day. It's also possible that because it was on a Friday night, more people watched the opening ceremony together with friends or even at one of those live sites - and those numbers probably aren't included in the official viewing figures for the opening ceremony.

• Like 1

I think it could be because the Olympic fever probably hadn't caught that many Britons yet on opening day. The experience of the Games and especially the brilliant performances by British athletes probably infected people with that Olympic fever who weren't that much interested in the Games at their start. And that might have led also to the larger viewing figures for the closing ceremony.

The other possible reason is that on Sunday nights, more people tend to stay home and watch TV because work starts again the next morning - while on Friday nights, they rather want to spend the night out since they don't have to get up early the next day. It's also possible that because it was on a Friday night, more people watched the opening ceremony together with friends or even at one of those live sites - and those numbers probably aren't included in the official viewing figures for the opening ceremony.

Of course. Those 2 factors would account strongly for the strange disparity of numbers. Probably many people were gathered in pubs, maybe just distractedly watching the Opening, on that Friday night, rather than as u said, being at home.

Very astute conclusions, Fab.

Thank you, Myles. And I just noticed the precise viewing figure for the opening ceremony in the article above (I had overlooked it when I wrote my last post) -- at 24.24 million, it had only 220,000 viewers less than the closing ceremony. So it's very much possible that it was lower only because of the reasons I mentioned.

By the way, here in Germany the viewing figures for the ceremonies were as you would usually expect them: 7.67 million people watched the opening ceremony, and only 5.76 million watched the closing. But we weren't an initially sceptic host nation which caught a strong Olympic fever due to its athletes, plus the closing ceremony had the disadvantage of starting at 10 p.m. Central European Time -- that was probably much too late for many working people here, because compared to the Britons, they would have lost one additional hour of precious pre-working-week sleep only for the closing ceremony.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I've posted a few links to videos that I filmed whilst at the Ceremonies (I was fortunate enough to go to all four.)

Other videos can be found through the links. This one is the Freddie Mercury 'appearance:'

Thank you also here for posting all those clips from all four London 2012 ceremonies. Amazing work, an amazing contribution.

I have to say, though, that this will probably remain my favourite moment of the London 2012 Olympic closing ceremony:

For me, it was the pinnacle of emotion: I cried and laughed at the same time. In fact, I had to cry again when I just saw that clip of yours. Especially now that I have to experience a rather dark side of life (namely highly probable job loss), it's a bit of comfort but also a bit of a release for all my current worries.

• 8 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YzoyDILKlhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jiu0lYQIPqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsGQ8C64WlQ&feature=player_detailpage&t=0

As the Anevsary of the closing ceremony approaches I thought I would post some of my faverout moments from the Greatest Closing Ceremony in the history of the Olympics.

• 3 weeks later...

ANother London 2012 ceremonial rip-off from another show:

From the off-Broadway run of Stephen Sondheim's BOUNCE (a NY production in 2008; a London production in 2010) :

1.152751.jpg

See all those costumes and set made from newsprint...

And in the 2012 Closing Ceremony, there was the start when nearly everything was covered in "newsprint."

Ray-Davies-sings-Waterloo-Sunset.jpg

Could it have been the same costume designer for the 2 productions??