Closing Ceremony

Just a roundup of some of the papers, two rumours (and only rumours).

* The Spice Girls are 95percent confirmed to be performing in the closing ceremony concert

* Liam Gallagher (who was mentioned in that run sheet) will be performing an epic new orchestral arrangement of Wonderwall.

Awesome if true.

It's a cliché but football should play a part in everything between Britain and Brazil: it's an instant link between our nations... And trains! Trains everywhere! The Great Western of Brazil Railway Company built and mantained railways in northeast Brazil from 1870's to 1950's. We had an English Cemetery in my city by the 1900's. And then we have O Trenzinho do Caipira... They would do great exploring some old links between Brazil and UK in this handover, even if only slightly.

It's a cliché but football should play a part in everything between Britain and Brazil: it's an instant link between our nations... And trains! Trains everywhere! The Great Western of Brazil Railway Company built and mantained railways in northeast Brazil from 1870's to 1950's. We had an English Cemetery in my city by the 1900's. And then we have O Trenzinho do Caipira... They would do great exploring some old links between Brazil and UK in this handover, even if only slightly.

It's not necessary to link the outgoing host with the incoming one. Remember, the flag returns to the IOC before passing on to the new host. So, Rio's segment can be entirely about Brazil/Rio. For London and the UK, it will just be Auld Lang Syne. :(

It’s Rio’s turn now!

At the end of each Olympic cycle, the new host city of the Games is celebrated with a Flag Handover Ceremony. On 12 August, at the London 2012 Closing Ceremony, the mayor of Rio de Janeiro will be handed over the Olympic flag by the president of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge.

After that, an eight-minute show will display the famous Brazilian joy. In a privileged area of the London Olympic Stadium, a great multicultural embrace will celebrate the diversity of races, rhythms, tastes and credo of Brazil in a show called “Embrace”. Brazilian iconic artists such as Marisa Monte, Seu Jorge, rapper B. Negão, top model Alessandra Ambrósio and 225 volunteer dancers will take part in the party which will introduce a new Olympic city.

It's not necessary to link the outgoing host with the incoming one. Remember, the flag returns to the IOC before passing on to the new host. So, Rio's segment can be entirely about Brazil/Rio. For London and the UK, it will just be Auld Lang Syne. :(

The only link I can think of would be if Duran Duran perform "Rio" just before the handover segment. Other than that, don't expect the Rio team to put some symbolism of UK/Brazilian ties. I do hope (as I alluded to in an earlier comment) that Brazil/Rio sort of rub it in with London/UK by getting that Jet designed and built by their Embraer company to do a fly over of the stadium, showcasing it's economic might and being ranked higher than the UK. :P

Well, as the organizers have already said, the "Embrance" segment will somehow try to escape the obvious and some of the clichés about Brazil. Therefore, we can conclude it will be exclusively about Brazil - fair enough, considering they have only 8 minutes - and will not put out British-Brazilian ties. I'm curious to see what kind of show they're preparing with names like Marisa Monte, Seu Jorge and rapper B. Negão. It will indeed be an non-mainstream alternative view of Brazilian culture, except for Marisa Monte. I had never heard of B. Negão until now...

^^ Of what? the first? The latter? Both? :P

Haha, to be honest, I'd be pretty happy to see the Spice Girls. They are pretty iconic and are a heavy symbol of the Cool Britannia movement of the mid to late 90s. It would just provide extra wow and novelty factor to the Closing Ceremony I think.

And hey, if Dave Grohl can list 2 Become 1 as one of his guilty pleasures, then I don't mind saying that it's on my iTunes playlist.

Ok the Spice girls were a hit a few years ago, and Leona Lewis was doing well when they did the London segment for Beijing's closing ceremony but come on ! The UK music industry always has been one of the top in the world, and most of the time number 1.

They have top acts, classy acts with wonderful songs in all kinds of modern music and they bring us the spice girls :unsure: At least they won't do the opening!

Of course there are a whole range of top music acts they could... and are giving us. But the appeal , popularity and success of the Spice Girls can't be denied. If the Spice Girls performed, I think the closing line up is really hitting all bases to be honest. Of course there are always acts that could be there and would do well, but ya can't have everyone. Looks like they'll cover all eras, bit of pop, bit of rock, bit of singer/songwriter, bit of Indie, bit of dance - should be good.

I just want to see London outdo Vancouver with regards to musicians/bands/acts.

You have someone iconic to start the show, then they announce the next act, going back and forth for like an hour. Give a sense of surprise by having acts appear out of odd places and such.

Vancouver had to have *the* most anti climax of any closing ceremony I have seen in recent times. Awful.

Sounds like most of the London music will be tied in to a greater cultural/pop culture theme - possibly just the last few acts being pure concert setting.

Vancouver had to have *the* most anti climax of any closing ceremony I have seen in recent times. Awful.

Sounds like most of the London music will be tied in to a greater cultural/pop culture theme - possibly just the last few acts being pure concert setting.

Yeah because they wouldn't have time to rehearse on an elaborate set. Which also means, the Rio section will use a very basic, almost flat set.

Will be interesting to see if London does have any kind of *unusual* set for their closing ceremony. Obviously they can't do much and maybe just a groundcover will be the best they can do, not sure if they would theme it though. Perhaps just erect a stage in the middle of the field. They can still be ambitious. If Sydney could construct their stage in time for the closing, Im sure London can do something a wee bit out of the box.

Im hoping Rio is given a decent staging area for their handover, not just a section of the track and a small stage.

Which leads me again to the conclusion that invariably Olympic closing ceremonies are always a stale afterthought. ;)

Oh yeah, Closings are always 2nd-class citizens. And which is why they cost proportionately less to see.

Will be interesting to see if London does have any kind of *unusual* set for their closing ceremony. Obviously they can't do much and maybe just a groundcover will be the best they can do, not sure if they would theme it though. Perhaps just erect a stage in the middle of the field. They can still be ambitious. If Sydney could construct their stage in time for the closing, Im sure London can do something a wee bit out of the box.

Im hoping Rio is given a decent staging area for their handover, not just a section of the track and a small stage.

Conceivably, they could go the Super Bowl way where multi-level platforms quickly appear before one's eyes as part of the performance. But the big question is, if the center hole is the cauldron for the opening, then they will also have to do something a la Vancouver to explain why the flame re-appears again in the middle of the field at Closing? Well, I am sure they have the continuity covered.

Addendum. With the raised stage a la Vancouver, I really think now the Cauldron will rise for Opening from the center hole; and then they can just re-work around that for the Closing. This has "Vancouver" pretty much written all over it.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The only link I can think of would be if Duran Duran perform "Rio" just before the handover segment. Other than that, don't expect the Rio team to put some symbolism of UK/Brazilian ties. I do hope (as I alluded to in an earlier comment) that Brazil/Rio sort of rub it in with London/UK by getting that Jet designed and built by their Embraer company to do a fly over of the stadium, showcasing it's economic might and being ranked higher than the UK. :P

Except brazil was only ranked higher than the uk due to foreign exchange fluctuations and it seems we will loose that position and return to 9th or 10th.

Now back to the closing, brazilian media is reporting that the handover sequence is "integrated" into the whole closing ceremony for the first time. What does that mean.

Rio 2016 will have an 'integrated' presentation with London's closing ceremony

The Rio 2016 Olympic Games, as the successor to London 2012, is having space and opportunity to publicize itself in British soil. The Organizing Committee of the Rio Games opened the Casa Brasil in a magnificent neoclassical palace on the edge of the Thames [somerset House]. After the Olympics, during the Olympic flag handover, Rio will have the opportunity to make a presentation integrated with the closing ceremony, on August 12.

(...)

Four years ago, in Beijing, the British were not so lucky, making an inconsistent presentation with the rest of the ceremony. "This is the first time that two Olympic organizing committees are making a coordinated effort. We will make an integrated presentation [to the closing ceremony], not only in the Olympics, but also in the Paralympics. The artistic directors are doing a great job because it is very difficult to show something special in eight minutes," said Carlos Arthur Nuzman, president of the Rio Organizing Committee.

exposicao_casa_brasil_londres2012_foto_wander_roberto_09_1.jpg

The President of Rio 2016™ Organizing Committee, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, presents data on the organization of the Rio Games at Casa Brasil. (Photo: Wander Roberto/Rio 2016)

^^ I think they're trying to justify that the London Handover at the Beijing 2008 Olympics was so out of flow with the Chinese production, no visible link between the rich British and Chinese cultures (which there easily could have been) and more importantly, the apparent lack of use of the projection wrap around the roof (or not really taking advantage of it and showing basic animations).

I think Rio wants to present something that doesn't seem like it's own during the Closing Ceremony, but easily flows from the previous segment, to the next.

As for train wrecks, London could have easily have done a huge homage to Chinese culture (receiving huge cheers from the mostly Chinese crowd in the process), by putting an actual destination for that double decker bus. The location being :London's Chinatown of course!