Closing Ceremony

^^ The handover wouldn't be complete if they don't perform Cidade Maravilhosa at the ending :lol: but I agree that Floresta do Amazonas would be awesome as well.

Cidade Maravilhosa was sang at the 2007 Panamerican Games Opening Ceremony and it was used for one of the bid clips shown on IOC meeting in 2009. It would be so repetitive. Brazil has an incredible diversity and a extremely rich culture, full of songs... I think the handover in London will bring warm, color and joyfull to the cold Britishers...

• 4 weeks later...

Aguas de Marco! It has to be somewhere -- either at the handover or at the ceremonies in Rio itself.

It's a song about rain and the end of summer. VERY fitting for a closing ceremony in a city like London.

• 3 weeks later...

**Spoiler Alert **

A running list of the closing ceremony. Looks more like a variety show than a closing ceremony to me. Jessie J performing 3 songs?? She has been getting a lot of big exposure lately for someone who's only released one album (can't say I'm a fan though, thought she's quite chavvy sometimes). And what is Russell Brand doing there? Emeli Sande opening the show? Some of the choice really beggars belief. This is turning to be a big Olympic Variety Show now (or half the Diamond Jubilee concert).

p.s. Where is Adele?? Did she pull out because of her pregnancy? And surprised Elton John not there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173711/Olympic-finale-Russell-Brand-troupe-stripping-lollipop-ladies-We-revealed-opening-ceremony-schedule--tell-s-going-end-.html

Edited by kevzz

**Spoiler Alert **

A running list of the closing ceremony. Looks more like a variety show than a closing ceremony to me. Jessie J performing 3 songs?? And what is Russell Brand doing there? Emeli Sande opening the show? Some of the choice really beggars belief. This is turning to be a big Olympic Variety Show now.

http://www.dailymail...going-end-.html

Sounds fun, though that set list leaves out any mention of the Rio 2016 handover

that set list leaves out any mention of the Rio 2016 handover

Well, you have to read in between the lines. It comes in way down at...

PLAYING OF THE NATIONAL ANTHEM OF GREECE

The lowering of the Olympic flag and the flag handover ceremony to the next host, Rio.

Then, DARCEY BUSSELL & the Royal Ballet segment d

ancing to the Spirit Of The Flame as the Olympic Flame is extinguished.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Sounds ok closing to me. Im sure alot of the details will be different, I will be interested to see what kind of set they do for the closing ceremony. A simple mono-colour ground cloth, or will it have some kind of theme aswell (one that is quick to install of course).

I think closing ceremony events have arguably had the biggest transformation over the years, they have become more and more athlete based and concert inspired. Seems like we are past the days of the still epic cultural displays, such as in Barcelona.

news from brazilian media about handover show (google translated)

Marisa Monte and Seu Jorge will be the presentation of the Rio-2016 in London

Two hundred volunteers are part of the group will be at the closing of the Olympics. The rhythm of the samba promises to enliven the world

While many Brazilians live in anticipation of the start of the London Olympics, a group of volunteers will hold a greater good: the closing ceremony. After all, they will be responsible for Brazil to show the rest of the world during the show which will mark the passing of the baton to the 2016 Olympics to be held in Rio de Janeiro. The filmmaker Cao Hamburger, famous for directing and producing television shows for children, promised lots of entertainment for the show that will feature renowned musicians. Among them, Marisa Monte and Seu Jorge.

- The music is very beautiful. We will have the participation of Seu Jorge, Marisa Monte and BNegão as musicians, finally, be a party that will animate the English and the whole world because it is live. It will also provide insight into the world of our culture - told the Yeah Area.

The presentation promises to lead Brazil to the world the samba and other wealth of local culture, as revealed by the theater director who coordinates the group Daniela Thomas.

- We will not escape the carnival and the things of our identity but as a new way of seeing. We will show how Brazil is sophisticated, interesting. Bringing cultural diversity of the country - said.

With the same commitment of the 259 athletes who will defend Brazil in the Olympics the protagonists of the show and rehearse intensely are at risk of not seeing their idols competing. The choreographer Renata Vieira reveals that the mixture of nationalities and will are the hallmarks of the group of 200 selected volunteers in the UK.

- We will not only find Brazilian living in London, but we found many Londoners. I'm Jamaican on the show, I'm Belgian, Bulgarian, Polish, but everyone involved in the show for a common goal, is talking about the Brazilian culture. We realize we will not have to accompany the opening and the games themselves, because throughout this period we will be rehearsing - he said.

source (in portuguese)

http://sportv.globo....em-londres.html

What If I was in charge of the 10 min Handover Segment:

Alessandra Ambrósio enters the stadium carrying the Flag of Brazil:

alessandra-ambrosio-hairstyle-4.jpg

Execution of the Brazilian National Anthem with fireworks at the end (a little camera close at Dilma Rousseff):

While the anthem is been executed, an impressive landscape of Rio is build up in the center of the stadium, like a large scale model, and the Copacabana pavement covers the track & field area (thanks Ikarus). After the anthem and the fireworks, the lights go down and this music starts to play:

Both singers appear at the top of the Sugarloaf mountain (he playing piano, she laying on it with a glamorous white dress), and the whole stage is lit with yellow and white (the crowd would hold lights creating the atmosphere of the night sky). Like on "Fantasia 2000", wave-shaped screens would fly on the Stadium showing pictures of Rio and Brazil while the song is been played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AvzOgkOtbo

After that, the extravaganza begins with some samba/pop with lots and lots of dancers, which would go something like this:

Several dancers flying the stadium by cables. However, instead of Jamie Foxx and Will.i.am singing "Hot Wings", Vanessa da Mata could emerge in the landscape singing this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZfPcYJt6qQ

The whole stadium is lit with an amazing color show and fireworks, with the dancers and stuff that I said. Perhaps, several Brazilian celebrities could appear dancing in this huge party. Then, Vanessa da Mata climbs the Corcovado Mountain and open her arms as Christ the Redeemer, there is a great firework finale and everyone appears cheering.

THE END.

Perhaps they can rub it in with the UK on the fact that they have a higher GDP than the UK?

Maybe an Embraer 195, (perhaps borrowed, doesn't need to be brand spanking new), in Rio 2016 livery, perhaps even greetings to London, having a fly over during the handover ceremony?

A rub it in moment to show off their ever growing economy and to top London's double decker bus from Beijing 2008.

Perhaps they can rub it in with the UK on the fact that they have a higher GDP than the UK?

Maybe an Embraer 195, (perhaps borrowed, doesn't need to be brand spanking new), in Rio 2016 livery, perhaps even greetings to London, having a fly over during the handover ceremony?

A rub it in moment to show off their ever growing economy and to top London's double decker bus from Beijing 2008.

I doubt that one can recognise a lot of a Rio 2016 livery on a plane when it's night time.