Closing Ceremony

The article is about Filmmaster Group, the company that will produce Rio's handover segment and also the Opening Ceremony in 2016.

(you can just create your login/profile and read it for free. there's not much info there, though)

I am actually glad they will use the "carnival/samba school parade" cliche for the handover as it gives me hope we will not see any of this on the actual opening ceremony in 2016.

I am actually glad they will use the "carnival/samba school parade" cliche for the handover as it gives me hope we will not see any of this on the actual opening ceremony in 2016.

Just you wait! :D Torino also used some elements of its handover in their opening and closing ceremonies, including the flag throwers and some music.

Did Rio have carnival and samba in its opening ceremony for the 2007 Pan American Games, by the way? I haven't watched the videos completely so far. I only know that they had that beautiful "Energy of Water" segment -- which would be great also for the Olympic opening ceremony, although they'll certainly not copy it:

Is most likely there will be samba music in the handover (I hope they also use another genres like Bossa Nova). I don't have problem with it, as long as the actual performance is not so stereotypical.

A small idea of mine is that they project the pavement wave pattern of the Copacabana Beach onto the track and field area. It would be a nice touch.

CopacabanaUsidewalk_ad.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's been reported in Brazilian press that singers Marisa Monte and Seu Jorge will perform at the closing ceremony. Might be interesting.

Seu Jorge is a good option to include samba in the ceremony without bringing the whole "samba school" circus to London.

Meh... It could be better (or much worse). My perfect scenario would include Caetano Veloso singing "London, London" and Gilberto Gil with "Aquele Abraço". What could go wrong with that?

I see Rio as a city that could follow the Sydney handover model and have alot of success.

Not that I see them as needing to *copy* the handover in Atlanta, but the whole model of showing all the aspects of a lively and *exotic* city to the world would work well.

Showing the colours, the sounds, the iconic backdrops, the people, the dance, the quirks etc etc.

I posted this on the Rio 2016 news thread, but italian Filmmaster Events and brazilian SRCOM are producing not only the handover but also the 2016 ceremonies. (Filmmaster Events is also doing the Euro 2012 opening and closing ceremonies)

I posted this on the Rio 2016 news thread, but italian Filmmaster Events and brazilian SRCOM are producing not only the handover but also the 2016 ceremonies. (Filmmaster Events is also doing the Euro 2012 opening and closing ceremonies)

I read that somewhere.

Come to the Rio ceremonies, are these guys just producing it, as in, are they seeking another mob to be the creative drive beside it?

In any case, I guess this consortium are doing everything for the handover.

I read that somewhere.

Come to the Rio ceremonies, are these guys just producing it, as in, are they seeking another mob to be the creative drive beside it?

In any case, I guess this consortium are doing everything for the handover.

They're executive producers, which means they will choose the people who will work on them so its most likely they'll search more creative staff. Though Marco Balich is the one behind it, and is most likely he will direct them.

Rio's handover is the most easily predictable. Riots of colours, samba, carnivals, noisy music, scantily clad women etc

Hi Kevzz,

Well, having never been to Rio let alone Brazil (though I do really want to go).... as with most of the world's population who tune into watch the ceremonies... I don't particularly find anything wrong with that. The handover, is a chance for them to introduce themselves. I say the more samba the better. Brazil is what it is.

I would like to see at least 1 float, samba, capoeira dancers and something relating to the beach atmosphere of Copacabana.

Sydney's and Beijing's handover stand out to me, even though they showcased a few stereotypical cultural depictions of their countries... which is not a bad thing.

Reading people discussing Rio's handover brings it all home how close London 2012 is and how quickly it will be over. Those few weeks are gonna fly by

...too true daveypodmore..... I relized that at the 100 day mark, I was willing it to come but at the same time trying to delay it as much as possible, 2 weeks are definately not long enough....

Edited by TorneroBlu

Hi Kevzz,

Well, having never been to Rio let alone Brazil (though I do really want to go).... as with most of the world's population who tune into watch the ceremonies... I don't particularly find anything wrong with that. The handover, is a chance for them to introduce themselves. I say the more samba the better. Brazil is what it is.

Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with having those. Just not very familiar with what Brazilian culture have to offer, those are the only things I relate to Rio. I'm sure there's other elements that can be showcased to contrast with the common perception of Rio's image

Thats pretty incredible and shows they are making the Paralympic ceremonies on par with the Olympic ones. Coldplay could quite easily headline the Olympic Opening. Such a great idea, surely the figures of this ceremony will be mightily impressive

I'm a very happy boy. I have tickets to the closing ceremony of the paras :) I was hoping Gaga may make an appearance (i know she's not british but hey!) sadly that was scuppered by her announcing the second date at Twickenham.