Closing Ceremony

I just came back from a Take That concert and the art director of their show is the art director of the Closing Ceremony - and I have to say it was just fantastic!!!! I wonder how much Take That paid for this show and I would like to know how much the director is allowed to use for the closing ceremony!

I will try to upload some videos later!!!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

London 2012: Olympic closing ceremony led by British music

_58671609_closingceremonypa464261.jpg

Crowd-pleasing British music will be at the centre of the closing ceremony of the Olympic Games on 12 August.

The show called 'A Symphony of British Music' will involve established British acts and new talent, said creative director and choreographer Kim Gavin.

The London Symphony Orchestra will record the core orchestral soundtracks for the opening and closing ceremonies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17138505

Edited by daveypodmore

London 2012: Olympic closing ceremony led by British music

_58671609_closingceremonypa464261.jpg

Crowd-pleasing British music will be at the centre of the closing ceremony of the Olympic Games on 12 August.

The show called 'A Symphony of British Music' will involve established British acts and new talent, said creative director and choreographer Kim Gavin.

The London Symphony Orchestra will record the core orchestral soundtracks for the opening and closing ceremonies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17138505

One hopes this 'British' music a) represents all parts of the UK and not just England and B) doesn't play the politically correct card and ambush us all with 'urban hymns' and 'poetic raps'.

Kinda funny how things evolve. If you look back at the olden days (before Moscow 1980), the Closing Ceremonies were often more colourful and entertaining than the Opening Ceremonies. These days, they almost seem like an afterthought - a pop concert/variety show thrown together at the last minute.

Kinda funny how things evolve. If you look back at the olden days (before Moscow 1980), the Closing Ceremonies were often more colourful and entertaining than the Opening Ceremonies. These days, they almost seem like an afterthought - a pop concert/variety show thrown together at the last minute.

I've never thought about it before, but I do believe I've never seen a pre-1980 closing ceremony. Anyone know of any up on YouTube?

Certainly, more emphasis is placed on the opening since it's the first 'point of contact' with the worldwide audience. I think ceremony organisers try for that whole celebratory' feel in the closing. The opening is more formal whereas the closing is more informal.

I've never thought about it before, but I do believe I've never seen a pre-1980 closing ceremony. Anyone know of any up on YouTube?

I found one for Rome '60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKiLc9DRK1I

but it's in very grainy b&w, at night yet, with what I can make out to be a booming Japanese soundtrack...so

But the description/caption is a lot more detailed than the clip. I know there's one for Oslo 1952 which is sharper; and others which are compiled scenes mostly.

• Like 1

Seems like it will be another CC which will be more like a concert. Although if the people behind the Take That concerts are behind it then maybe we can see more than just concerts and an actual entertaining show with some cultural performances as interludes, like in The Circus concert in Wembley (2009)

Admitedly, I prefer the Barcelona style closing ceremony. Your typical goodbye kind of moment, maybe one large scale cultural style performance, and then a moment when it all turns into a concert.

Still, if it is going to be entirely music based, I prefer the Salt Lake method (performance based around musical acts).

I do wonder, especially going by the title they are giving it, if fusion with orchestra wouldn't be an interesting path to travel down. Some of the best live acts I've seen (live and on screen) are when pop/rock/dance is fused with a symphony.

Admitedly, I prefer the Barcelona style closing ceremony. Your typical goodbye kind of moment, maybe one large scale cultural style performance, and then a moment when it all turns into a concert.

Still, if it is going to be entirely music based, I prefer the Salt Lake method (performance based around musical acts).

I do wonder, especially going by the title they are giving it, if fusion with orchestra wouldn't be an interesting path to travel down. Some of the best live acts I've seen (live and on screen) are when pop/rock/dance is fused with a symphony.

http://lso.co.uk/page/3660/London-2012-Olympic-and-Paralympic-Ceremonies

Certainly, more emphasis is placed on the opening since it's the first 'point of contact' with the worldwide audience. I think ceremony organisers try for that whole celebratory' feel in the closing. The opening is more formal whereas the closing is more informal.

Which makes sense, since by the time of the closing, the athletes of different nations have just spent the past two weeks partying with each other and are no longer focused on their sports, so it's a time to let loose.

At least they are out there in excerpts and compilations, mostly from the official movies or from TV memorial broadcasts (as in Munich's case):

Rome 1960:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0iCd2giCCQ

Tokyo 1964 (starting at 7:57):

Mexico City 1968:

Munich 1972:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_oG-6SM5-4

Montreal 1976 (from the official movie, starting at 5:08):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNCPghcwImU

Montreal 1976 (TV recording of the extinguishing of the flame):

• Like 1

Kind of funny that the British Media slammed Canada for having too much music in the closing ceremony, now the British will have the same thing,

No offense but the british media loved to backlash everything related with Vancouver 2010 back then, even saying those were the worst winter olympics ever. ._.

• 1 month later...

Sex Pistols decline invitation to play closing ceremony

Punk rock icons the Sex Pistols have declined an invitation to perform at the closing ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics, reports claim.

Games organisers had hoped the band, fronted by Johnny Rotten (aka John Lydon), would perform as part of the show, entitled A Symphony of British Music, that closes off the Games on August 12.

The concept behind the ceremony was that bands from each era of British pop music would be perform, with the Sex Pistols representing the 1970s punk movement.

But reports in the Times (£) suggest Lydon and his cohorts will snub the ceremony, in what will be seen by many as yet another snub to the establishment.

However, Lydon's lack of enthusiasm may be more of an issue of finances rather than principle as artists performing at the ceremonies are not paid, except for a nominal fee of £1. In addition all the recording rights have been sold to Universal Music under a licensing deal with London organising committee for the Olympic Games (Locog).

Artists performing in the opening and closing ceremonies are not paid, save for a nominal fee of £1, while the recording rights have been sold to Universal Music under an exclusive licensing deal with the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Locog), which includes compilation albums.

A source told the newspaper that they still have a "great line-up" and speculation has now mounted that The Clash could replace the Sex Pistols, with London Calling an appropriate song to perform.

The ceremony is being choreographed by Kim Gavin, the mastermind behind Take That's Circus tour, which suggests that the boy band could perform, along with fellow British artists such as Adele, Sir Paul McCartney, Elton John, the Rolling Stones and the Spice Girls.

According to Gavin the show, which will be watched by nearly 80,000 spectators in the stadium plus an estimated global television audience of 750 million people, will be an "elegant mash-up of British music"

A spokesman for Locog said the closing ceremony would “celebrate the breadth of popular musical form and fashion over the last 50 years”

http://www.telegraph...g-ceremony.html

What did you expect from the Sex Pistols regarding this?! They refused to turn up at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Couldn't say I was expected them to perform at the CC.

How about seeing UB40 and Steel Pulse to add some reggae in it? Both acts got a worldwide fan base for over 30 years and appeared in the same era as The Specials and The (English) Beat, though the former is more well-known. Would like to see Madness too, they're beloved. Maybe the Police, at least Sting. But Sting "likes surprises" and appearing in the Olympics may be expected out of him, Stewart Copeland, and Andy Summers. Duran Duran?

The Closing Ceremony will be more concert in nature of course, so it should be a great mix of British musicians, not just from England and should be old and new.

You have 1 music act in 1 end of the stadium and when they're finished, they announce the next act, on the opposite end, going back and forth until the final music act to finish the night in the middle.

Edited by Lord David