• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just two days until kickoff, the purity of the women's game will be a refreshing change from all the vile, disgusting disclosures of the past week.

Emblem release was today Note 6 cities will host: Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa, Moncton, Winnipeg and Montreal (all but Montreal will have a recently built or renovated stadium.

FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015 – official poster launch Image courtesy FIFA.com FIFA: July 10, 2014 - As we draw towards the climax of another extraordinary FIFA World Cu

I thought it more followed like with the Commonwealth grammar when the collective noun or pronoun subject is followed by a singular, and not plural, verb.

I mean, the American women better win tonight against China's Steel Roses, the weakest team in the quarterfinals, up in Ottawa with no Megan Rapinoe and Lauren Holliday (nee Cheney), both of whom have been creative. But Jill Seger's stubborn reliance to keep employing a 4-4-2 format makes me and plenty other people concerned. Defense has been fine, but there's no creativity in the defense and not much in the midfield. i wish they can go towards a 3-3-4 format to shake things up and reinforce creativity and stop the stagnation. Seeveral players like Leroux and Rodriguez aren't getting much burn and can be used for speed and pace. I, like a lot of fans are growing worried because if they face either Germany's DFB-Frauen/National Elf or France's Les Bleues, they'll get eaten alive. Watching the gameTrax against Colombia made me overwhelmed. Don't mind the grit but overreliance is not it; Seger to me just don't know how to utlize the tremendous depth of talent at her disposal like at the offensive side of the ball. they should be scoring goals in abundance and with passion, speed, intensity, and fun. China is young with a real good goalie in Zhang Yue. The Americans must diversify its attacks against an organized and improved but inexperienced defense and attack open spaces to take advantage of. Sure they haven't played their best. time to start playing like that and beyond is NOW! Don't wait for France or Germany to turn it on in Montreal. In the meantime...

Get your damn act together ladies! :angry:

Why I like the Matildas over Japan, who didn't deserve that last title because the above choked on it (and I'm still very angry at them--the disgraces--for it. Choking like that can and do leave behind potentially nasty legacies...)? Let SBS explain why:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/2015/06/24/5-ways-matildas-can-beat-japan

Ref was blowing up every ten seconds anyway - someone should tell her it's a contact sport. No team could get their game going because of that. Free kick after free kick. Awful.

Ref was blowing up every ten seconds anyway - someone should tell her it's a contact sport. No team could get their game going because of that. Free kick after free kick. Awful.

I think you have the English coach to thank for that. England sure has come along way in just over a decade. Good on them. I don't see anyone beating Germany or the Americans other then each other, but still a great achievement to get to the semis.

Sepp Blatter: Fifa president to miss Women's World Cup final

Fifa president Sepp Blatter will not travel to Canada for the final of the Women's World Cup on Sunday for "personal reasons".

The 79-year-old Swiss had planned to attend the match in Vancouver, despite Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke pulling out of the opening ceremony.

Two criminal investigations into alleged Fifa corruption are ongoing.

Blatter's lawyer, Richard Cullen, said Fifa senior vice-president Issa Hayatou would attend the match instead.

It will be the first time since he became president in 1998 that Blatter has not presented the trophy to the tournament winners.

BBC

He better turn up in Vancouver given what's going on...

I firmly believe that whoever wins tonight's match between the USA's USWNT and Germany's DFB-Frauen/NationalElf will win it all come Sunday night. Been listening and following the prognostications online for the past few days. Bottom line for the Americans: I like to see them press aggressively more on both ends of the field in Montreal throughout the game because Germany's defense and some of their forwards lack some pace. Bring the speed up and, unlike France's Les Bleues against Germany also in Montreal during the quarterfinals, make sure you finish. Hope Solo hasn't been challenged much at goal, but is surely where she'll get her workout plus with the defense ahead of her been very good. Germany comes in scoring 20 goals led Celia Sasic with six. Alexandra Popp, Anja Mittag Glad

I was so looking forward to seeing an all-Commonwealth matchup in the other semifinal. But the Matildas couldn't hold like they should've days ago in the furthest they ever been.

Glad to see Megan Rapinoe and Lauren Holliday back from their suspension. The whole team can and better fly and be creative while making those crosses. Something's gotta give against the American seemingly impenetrenble defense and the German offense. Jill Seger must allow these things for them and speed. Bring Wambach from off the bench in the second half preferably with the game very much decided in the Americans' favor. Make the DFB-Frauen nervous. I'm glad they're playing much better and managed some momentum. It better not reach extra time, much less penalty kicks. I sincerely hope for a US win--I'm getting nervous. But I wouldn't be shocked for a Germany win.

Tactics are important. Between the two teams, there are no secrets left. In particular Portland Red Thorns teammates Alex Morgan and Nadine Angerer. Hope Morgan and Lloyd scores some goals or other members of the team to finish early. Also Dzsenifer Marozsan is on the bench right now. Don't be shocked if it's a grinder with grit as the Americans are known to do. But please press on both sides.

And when I say here to the USWNT to "Get your damn act together", I also mean to win the whole damn thing.

All I have to left say right now is: Go Lionesses! We should've had a Matlidas vs. Lionesses/Big Red semifinal.

Momentum is surging right now through the US team. I can rest easy now until Sunday night depending on the opponent coming from tomorrow night...

That game is representative of why I hold the WWC so dear. A hard fought, but cleanly played game by both teams. I rarely feel a great deal of joy while watching sports anymore, but tonight it overflowed. Hopefully Japan and England do the same tomorrow.

Killer. Horrible end.

Need to start a campaign to get this lot to Rio 16! They really deserve it and stupid politics shouldn't get in the way.

Depending on the Ashes and the RWC, could be an early bet for team of the year at SPOTY. Loved watching the determination they've put into every game.

The Lionesses deserved to win that game. I much rather have them than who's coming out of it. Yes, the Lionesses still have the third place game. But I can't see them beating the DFB-Frauen. England deserved to be in Vancouver on Sunday night not Edmonton on Saturday. Now we get the game in the end I sure as hell DON'T want...

I want to write more but I have to go to work and save it until tomorrow. Let me just say I am torn about Laura Bassett right now.

What a tragic ending, I feel for Laura Bassett and the heartache she must be feeling. Four years is a long time to wait, but come 2019, England will be a top contender and this might be the motivation that drives them to a title.

What a tragic ending, I feel for Laura Bassett and the heartache she must be feeling. Four years is a long time to wait, but come 2019, England will be a top contender and this might be the motivation that drives them to a title.

The Lionesses will. But it would be much more preferable for them to get one of those few European spots to head to Rio as the bulk of Team GB with the odd but really good Scottish, Welsh, and Northern Irish players, so that Bassett can redeem herself at least to a degree. But that's a political matter and this will hurt but not derail the growing British (primarily English women's soccer game). Again, I much rather see them (or the Matildas or Team Canada) facing the Americans, who they match up much better with England than Japan, at the BC Place in Vancouver Sunday night. The UEFA European women's championship will the next big thing for the Lionesses. It would have been a more preferable sight to see them build upon Sunday night and the anticipation toward it than this. Good to see the likes of her teammates, coach Mark Sampson, and English international legends like Faye Wright, Kelly Smith, Rachel Yankey, Sue Smith, Rachel Brown-Finnis, and Hope Powell expressing their love for her. All know how obviously good and a rock she is.

Bassett will probrably never be able to forgive herself for the rest of her life for this--and there was no way back and no way to quickly redeem yourself after the 30 second mark after that. She's bound to have nightmares and cold sweats for the rest of her life from this, reliving that very moment over and over in her mind. She feels like she let her country down. Now people all around the world not just hardcore women's soccer fans and those who are from British Isles now know who Laura Bassett is. But for all the wrong reasons; her very name is now associated with many other athletes all around the world who more known for missteps. Her mistake was for the world to tragically to see. Universal human nature. People know Bassett's bad luck than fellow English international Faye Wright's missed penalty shot four years ago in Germany against France's Les Bleues in the quarterfinals. Wished she could've kicked toward a rightward angle aiming at the Commonwealth Stadiums stands. Sadly, all the outpouring sympathy and support doesn't change or negate the fact that the Lionesses will not go to Vancouver on Sunday and instead facing the National Elf back in Edmonton tomorrow. But the Lionesses finished further than ever in the WWC. But still...

Yes, congrats to them and they can hold their heads with the bronze Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium yesterday. Though it would be far better if they were playing tonight in Vancouver. Shame for Nadine Angerer's end, one of the greatest women's goalkeepers ever. Laura Bassett played as well as she typically does before that incident. Good to see I was wrong in my prediction. I also think it's time for Germany coach Silvia Neid to go.

But Bassett knows she'll forever be associated with that bad luck own goal no matter what she's accomplished before and since (she played brilliant in Canada and always led by example with those values of the Three Lions crest on the shirt), wishing she would disappear. One Wikipedia scribe edited on her entry calling her "the greatest failure in English women's soccer history":
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/fifa-womens-world-cup/story/laura-bassett-i-would-prefer-no-one-knew-my-name-after-own-goal-vs-apan-england-070315?vid=474691651681
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/64540/what-theyre-saying-laura-bassett.html

Wished we actually had an All-Commonwealth semifinal better yet. Surely a lot of Canadians would like to see Canada-USA final instead to rekindle those passions from Manchester in the classic London 2012 Olympic semifinal. I should also mention that it's Jill Ellis and not Seger.

A USWNT VS. Lionesses championship game would again be far more preferrable but that sadly won't happen because of that Bassett mistake at extra time. It would've been a lot more fun to watch.

Now I'm getting deeply nervous again. :(

So it now boils down to this tonight. Odds say Team USA will win it, and I would say so too, somewhere around 67%, even up to 79%; this is not the Japan team that made the Americans such utter national disgraces and embarassments in Frankfurt--remember, the Americans self-destructed there when they really SHOULD NOT EVER HAVE! That was deeply shameful. Whoever won that USA-Germany that night in Montreal, I believe, will win tonight and join the 1991 and 1999 teams. Still, I'm deeply worried that, even now with the own goal, that Japan, because of what they might be capable of. But history is against repeat champs. History also says teams in WWC with incredible defenses like Norway 1995 and Germany 2007 wind up winning it all, so the US has that on their side. I also hope for no yellow cards and being a person down, along with the bad luck in America's disfavor, for the rest of the game that can turn the tide. We know the Americans wanted those Japanese--it's the competitors in them in the need for revenge. Like to see Alex Morgan convert her chances, returning and consistently improving to full fitness.

I also hope for Carli Lloyd to come up clutch like she's been known to do lately thanks to Morgan Brian's presence working wonders for balance. They must disrupt and counterattack against and scare them, early and often. Press on both ends like against the DFB-Frauen. Don't make Japan rediscover their beloved technical passing game and changing positions. Been on their minds for years--and surely were taking notes, mental and playbook-wise, when watching against the Lionesses that night and want to take away from England did in their success towards them. Many are still angry (they sure as hell should be! :angry: ). Take advantage of their mistakes. No questionable subbing on Ellis' part. Japan lacks size for headers and for set pieces. Plus they lack a true killer striker despite Aya Sameshima, and Aya Miyama. USWNT will get physical and bigger in that manner, just as long as they're careful and don't get carded and no penalty kicks. They don't like being rattled. Julie Johnston, Meghan Klingenberg, and Becky Sauerbrunn must continue to have the defensive game of their lives as part of the back four--but be careful. Its defense is stellar and must continue that to help keep Solo clean on her sheet-must minimize mistakes when they happen and up to over 513 minutes and counting. She may need to work even harder than she did against Germany. I look at the San Antonio Spurs getting revenge on the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals back in 2013 and motivated all season long with one of their best seasons ever by winning the title in the 2013-14 season. Team says they OK, laser-focused, revenged-filled, confidence, and relaxed. It's healthy. Plus Vancouver's BC Place is far more familiar and sometime home away from home to the Americans than to the Japanese and its pro-American crowd just a short 45-minute distance away from Seattle. Not to mention being a nice Fourth of July/Canada Day weekend.

They got momentum, speed, size, skill, talent, firepower, strength, physicality, confident, and depth. They're growing fast in their play. This better not go into extra time and sure as hell not penalty kicks. Score and score often from the beginning. Yes, this means scoring starting from the first half and not wait until the second to start scoring because the Japanese can still strike like they did against The Netherlands and Australia, both should've beaten them. Make your finishes on goal unlike you did 4 years ago. Because if you don't finish, people will questioning how good you are as a team and its quality. Even debutants Ecuador, a nation that even gave Japan problems in the final group play game when they had nothing to lose with them not advancing. Maybe Abby can deliver the full knockout exclamation mark blow with the final already decided. Will be a third star when it really should be a fourth tonight. It better be. It's time for a total annihilation--not 2-0 or 2-1. But 7-1. Destroy them!

USWNT, DON'T! MAKE! THE! SAME! FUCKING! MISTAKE! AGAIN! :angry:

Get your damn act together!