2015 Womens' World Cup in Canada

I don't get how the premier FIFA tournament for women can be held on a second rate surface? This is the pinnacle of the sport, without the absolute best of conditions, that's crazy!

It was turf or Zimbabwe. FIFA chose turf.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually they had no choice. Zimbabwe withdrew before the voting occurred.

What good would Zimbabwe be in this anyway with no proven WWC pedigree or highly-regarded team talent? Their talent level would be far behind many nations that qualified and in several that didn't.

Speaking of one from Africa that Zimbabwe would surely lose to, it's a shame Bayana Bayana won't be there in Canada like it qualified for London 2012 and build upon that as a rising African power.

http://www.supersport.com/football/african-women-champs/news/141025/Ivorians_stun_Banyana_to_win_bronze

What good would Zimbabwe be in this anyway with no proven WWC pedigree or highly-regarded team talent? Their talent level would be far behind many nations that qualified and in several that didn't.

Yeah, it's almost like, let's say, Qatar, would be hosting the men's WC. Oh wait....

Mexico became the 21st team to book its spot in Canada with a 4-2 extra time win over Trinidad and Tobago, who now face Ecuador in the the CONCACAF-CONMEBOL playoff. The first match is in Ecuador on 8 November, with the second match in T&T now scheduled for 2 December (the original date was 23 November). Now that will determine the final qualifier and not the European playoff as stated previously.

Mexico will be making its second consecutive appearance and third overall.

New Zealand is #22 to qualify after dominating the OFC Women's Championship. This is the third consecutive appearance for New Zealand and 4th overall. Personally I hope New Zealand and Australia get drawn into the same group, that would be one fun matchup.

Italy and Ukraine drew 2-2 so Italy advances to the European playoff final, 4-3 on aggregate. Netherlands and Scotland play their second leg tomorrow.

The Netherlands beat Scotland 2-0 to advance 4-1 on aggregate. Netherlands vs Italy for the final UEFA spot.

Only four teams, and four matches remain in qualifying for two final spots. Only 37 days to the draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course I have a full day planned for the 6th already and will have to DVR the draw (workday,weekend, it doesn't matter, I can never seem to catch one live) as I believe I heard one of the FOX stations will be showing it.

Ecuador and Trinidad & Tobago drew 0-0 in the first leg of their playoff today in Quito. T&T endured the altitude today and has to feel good about it's chances heading home for the return tie on December 2nd.

I'm thinking the Azzurri will advance over the Oranje because they have that experience of almost qualifying four years ago...until the immensely talented Americans reminded them of that gap between the two, leaving a bitter taste in their mouths. Then again, the Italians could be like Bahrain--crashing at the final hurdle to Trinidad & Tobago and later New Zealand. The Dutch would be great to see as well as their always fun, can't miss orange-clad fans in the stands. Qualifying would give them a much-needed shot in the arm for national women's soccer in the The Netherlands in publicity in a nation that seriously follows its male counterparts to the hilt.

As for South Africa, there may be a chance to get in with Nigeria's dysfunctional administrative problems in its NFA that's dangeriously close to government interference. Not counting on it though. But Bayana Bayana needs a playing philosophy that must based on a new coach education syllabus, new talent discovery criteria, new youth development approach and methods to build upon for the long run. The huge investment in Banyana Banyana remains useless without these pre-conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

The Netherlands beat Italy 2-1 to win the playoff 3-2 on aggregate. The Dutch are the 23rd team and 7th debutante of which we will e guaranteed another however the Ecuador-Trinidad & Tobago playoff turns out. I thought I'd include a list of debutantes by WWC.

1991-China, Norway, Denmark, New Zealand, Germany, Brazil, Japan, Sweden, USA, Nigeria, Italy, Chinese Taipei

1995-England, Canada, Australia

1999-North Korea, Mexico, Russia. Ghana

2003-Argentina, France, South Korea

2007-No debutantes

2011-Colombia, Equatorial Guinea

2015-Thailand, Switzerland, Spain, Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Costa Rica, Netherlands, ECU or TRI.

Talk about leaving it late, Ecuador scores in second half additional time to take a 1-0 win to claim the final berth in the 2015 FIFA WWC. Now it is on to the draw Saturday in Ottawa. The draw procedures will be announced Friday.

I will be away all day Saturday, so if anybody wants to post the results, feel free. I feel I have really dominated this thread the past few months and I don't want others to feel they can't participate.

Should we do a wish you were there in Canada?

South Africa

Italy

Trinidad & Tobago

Denmark

Scotland

Finland

Russia

Poland

Argentina

Belgium

Greece

Equatorial Guinea

Turkey

Azerbaijan

For the record, I think all Canadians are unanimous in not wishing that Russia was here.

Well it was obvious that expansion to 24 was going to open up opportunities for new qualifiers, but it happened on a scale greater than I would have imagined. I figured nations like Spain and Switzerland would be there and one could say that Thailand benefitted from North Korea's exclusion. But I did figure that sometime qualifiers like Russia, Argentina, Italy, and Denmark would e among the finalists. it is great to see how this sport is growing.

The pots for the draw:

1) Canada, USA, Germany, Japan, France, Brazil

2) Nigeria, Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Mexico, Costa Rica, New Zealand

3) Australia, China, South Korea, Thailand, Colombia, Ecuador

4) Sweden, England, Switzerland. Spain, Norway, Netherlands

There was some thought that FIFA would use the world rankings to decide the top seeds as they did for the men's this year, which would have had Sweden on the top line instead of Brazil. The issue with the women's rankings is the disparity in the number of matches the teams play. Europe has a full-blown qualifying procedure, while CONMEBOL has a tournament to determine its qualifiers. Only 79 of the 128 nations that attempted to qualify actually played a home match during qualifying, so I do not think you can base the seeding decision based strictly on rankings.

A: Canada, China, New Zealand, Netherlands

B: Germany, Ivory Coast, Norway, Thailand

C: Japan, Switzerland, Cameroon, Ecuador

D: USA, Australia, Sweden, Nigeria

E: Brazil, South Korea Spain, Costa Rica

F: France, England, Colombia, Mexico

D is definitely the group of death. C looks to be the easiest.

I don't get it , even with all these new teams the US still gets put in the same group with Sweden for the fourth straight WWC and Nigeria for the fourth time out of the last five. It is definitely the hardest group. Group C is easy maybe Group B slightly easier. All in all it's a decent draw with a lot of matches to look forward to, unfortunately though that they are six months down the road. There will be a lot of staring at these groups until then, trying to figure out how it's all going to play out.

I don't like the looks of this either. Does seem odd the US wouldn't get a debutant in a group. Will take some time to digest this but I have some worries.

Which of the debutants do you think will make a meaningful impact in Canada next year? Admittedly, many of us here don't know much about them. Maybe The Netherlands, Spain, and Switzerland.

Archived