2015 Womens' World Cup in Canada

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015 – official poster launch
7-10-2014-9-24-10-AM-6485650.jpeg
Image courtesy FIFA.com
FIFA: July 10, 2014 - As we draw towards the climax of another extraordinary FIFA World Cup™, the focus of the footballing world is already gradually starting to shift towards the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015™.
And, with the eyes of the sporting world on Brazil, Rio de Janeiro’s iconic Maracanã stadium provided the perfect setting for the unveiling of the official poster for next year’s showcase event for the women’s game.
The poster, designed to reflect the diversity of Canada’s multicultural society and capture the essence of the great Canadian outdoors, was unveiled at the FIFA World Cup™ daily media briefing in front of the world’s press.
Among those on hand to oversee the unveiling of the striking poster were National Organising Committee (NOC) Chairman Victor Montagliani, FIFA Executive Committee member and chairwoman of the Committee for Women’s Football and the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ Lydia Nsekera, and FIFA World Cup™ ambassador and multiple Player of the Year winner Marta.
There was also a rare joint appearance by Official Mascots, with both 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ mascot Fuleco™ and FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015™ mascot Shuéme™ in attendance.
“We couldn’t be happier with the official poster,” said Victor Montagliani. “It’s such a dynamic piece of art that truly captures the spirit and beauty of the women’s game and Canada’s cultural mosaic. We can’t wait to bring it home to Canada and share it with all Canadians.”
FIFA Marketing Director Thierry Weil said: “The poster forms a key part of the visual identity of the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015 and perfectly captures the extraordinary diversity of the host nation. I’m sure this will help to generate even more excitement as we move towards the tournament.”
With its warm colours, the official poster’s football and sun icon expresses positivity and ambition. The cascading shapes, meanwhile, evoke Canada’s breath-taking landscapes, expansive skies, towering mountains, rich green forests, vast lakes, powerful rivers and dynamic cityscapes. Together, this iconic imagery flows as the hair from a woman’s head, her proud expression exuding confidence, determination and freedom.

http://boxscorenews.com/fifa-womens-world-cup-canada-official-poster-launch-p94047-68.htm

• 1 month later...

Yeah, you are right, the facts don't lie, Scotland don't qualify for Football tournaments, but the facts also tell us that the English fans are the ones who have caused most disruption and violence to Football Tournaments over the years.

Its not ideal but it doesn't bother me much that we dont qualify, but it would bother me if my fellow countrymen, traveled to other countries and embarrassed my nation my rioting, causing violence and unleashing hooliganism on a host nation of a major sporting event.

But those days are passed now - no more English hooliganism and more Scottish qualification I say :)

• 3 weeks later...

Previous champions Norway and Germany booked their spots at Canada 2015 today, maintaining their perfect WWC attendance records. France qualified for the third time and second consecutively, while Spain join the party as debutantes. The final day of group qualifying takes place Wednesday after which the final group winner (Sweden or Scotland) and the four playoff teams will be determined.

Also the Women's Copa America is now underway in Ecuador. The tournament serves as a trio of qualifying competitions. The top two to Canada 2015 with the third to a playoff vs CONCACAF #4, the first two qualify for Rio 2016,and the first four for the Pan Am Games 2015. Play continued through 28 September.

Yeah, you are right, the facts don't lie, Scotland don't qualify for Football tournaments, but the facts also tell us that the English fans are the ones who have caused most disruption and violence to Football Tournaments over the years.

Its not ideal but it doesn't bother me much that we dont qualify, but it would bother me if my fellow countrymen, traveled to other countries and embarrassed my nation my rioting, causing violence and unleashing hooliganism on a host nation of a major sporting event.

But those days are passed now - no more English hooliganism and more Scottish qualification I say :)

English Fans haven't caused the most disruption. You just have some ignorant view. Italian, Greek, Turkish and Russian Fans are alot worse then English Fans.

Sweden beat Scotland 2-0 to qualify and also maintain it's perfect attendance record. Scotland join Italy, Ukraine and Netherlands in the playoff for the final spot. The draw to pair the the teams for the semifinal round will take place on Tuesday.

Just to recap those who have qualified thus far. Canada, Japan, Australia, China, South Korea, Thailand, Switzerland, England, Germany, Norway, Spain, France, and Sweden.

Scotland were drawn against the Netherlands and Italy with Ukraine in the draw for the semifinal round for the last European spot. First match will be either 25 or 26 October with return legs on either 29 or 30 October. Winners meet for the last spot with matches scheduled for either 22/23 November and 26/27 November. Winner will be the 24th and final qualifier for Canada 2015.

Brazil qualify for Canada 2015 with a match to spare at the Copa America Feminino. With its 6-0 win over Argentina tonight they guaranteed that they cannot finish lower than second in the final round group. Colombia currently sits second and will face Brazil on Sunday. Argentina is third, which is the playoff spot vs CONCACAF. Ecuador lies fourth and is eliminated from direct qualification, although it can finish 3rd and go to the playoff.

Brazil maintains its perfect WWC attendance record.

Colombia qualify even before the kickoff of their match vs Brazil. Ecuador defeated Argentina in the first match today to claim the spot in the CONMEBOL vs CONCACAF #4 playoff, thus relegating Argentina to the bottom of the group. Colombia is making its second WWC appearance after debuting in Germany 2011.

October will see qualifying tournaments in Africa (3 spots, 11-25 October), CONACAF (3 spots plus one playoff qualifier 15-26), and OFC (1 spot, 25-29 October), plus the aforementioned European playoff semifinal round.

Official: World Cup will be on artificial turf

TORONTO (AP) — A FIFA official visiting Canada in advance of the Women's World Cup next summer says there are no plans to reconsider playing the premier tournament on artificial turf.

A group of players are currently preparing a lawsuit in protest of the turf surface, claiming that it exacerbates injuries, and changes the way the ball moves and the players react. At the heart of the matter is gender discrimination, because the men's World Cup would never be played on fake grass, the athletes say.

Tatjana Haenni, FIFA's deputy director of the competitions division and head of women's competitions, said: "We play on artificial turf and there's no Plan B."

FIFA has appointed an independent examiner to make sure the turf at the six venues meets the governing body's strict guidelines for turf in top-tier tournaments. The consultant is traveling with a FIFA delegation that is inspecting the sites.

AP

https://news.yahoo.com/official-world-cup-artificial-turf-002529494.html

The game just looks so much better on natural grass. That and the fact that it would cost between 3 and 6 million dollars to switch the six stadiums to grass, pocket change for FIFA, just makes them look cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Nigeria and Cameroon qualified today with 2-1 wins over South Africa and Cote d'Ivoire in the semifinals of the African Women's Championship. The semifinal losers meet on Saturday for the third African spot in Canada. Nigeria maintains its perfect WWC attendance record while Cameroon are through for the first time.

CONCACAF's Women's Championship is down to the semifinal stage on Friday as Costa Rica face Trinidad and Tobago and the USA meet Mexico . The winners qualify for Canada as does the third-place winner. Fourth place faces Ecuador in a playoff.

Archived