England 2018

The sports minister of Britain said before the IOC vote, that England may bid for the 2018 World Cup if it lost the 2012 Olympics.

Now that London will host the Olympics, has this put an end to the intentions of bidding for the 2018 Fifa World Cup?

I was thinking more of London bidding for 2014 Commonwealth Games or future IAAF World Championships (post Olympics)

Not sure how viable this would be, as there would be a two year gap between the Olympics and Commonwealths.  The village would probably be affordable housing by that time, and the stadium capacity reduced to 25,000

Though I understand the reasoning for reducing capacity of the stadium post-Olympics, I would like to see it reduced to a 50,000 seater minimum.  That way, it would have a greater chance of staging other important sporting events.

The sports minister of Britain said before the IOC vote, that England may bid for the 2018 World Cup if it lost the 2012 Olympics.

Now that London will host the Olympics, has this put an end to the intentions of bidding for the 2018 Fifa World Cup?

As long as Tony Banks doesn't get anywhere near it, otherwise we are doomed.

The US and the UK will go head-to-head on that one.   Which one would have the better weather?  

Michelle, there's a full discussion of this matter in "World Cups to Come*" in "Other International Games...

*(hmmmm, kinda sexual, if you ask me...)

I'll talk about it here... thanks.

Also, when did weather become an important factor in determining hosts of World Cups? Last time I checked football matches could be played in all weathers. Anyway, if it was a choice between England and USA, I think England would be favourites? World Cup' 94 wasn't so long ago, and England can offer a host of world class football stadiums.... and I think FIFA would like the WC to go 'home'?

The 2006 bid was doomed because England had an agreement with the German FA, which they renaged on.

I think FIFA would welcome a bid for 2018 from England.

Count on it, the US will also go for 2018 (1994 would've been 24 years ago by then).

:unclesam:

That's scary in itself I remember the '94 World Cup like it was yesterday.  Bagio - misses the penalty for Itaaaaaaaaaalia!!!!!

I think England if they do bid for the 2018 World Cup will stand a good chance, Wembley should be ready by then too...  :D

I don't think the US will get the 2016 World Cup.

Two reasons:

1) When they won it in 1994, the sales pitch was that holding the World Cup was all the US needed to trigger (at last) soccer mania.   This has clearly not happened.  The MLS is struggling, the media is totally uninterested in soccer (except maybe for a tiny box with the results of the latest Man U game), and the only people playing serious soccer in schools are girls.

2) There are too many other countries who will want it: including developing countries where soccer is the be-all and end-all, not an unpopular and little followed side-attraction.  I tip somewhere in central/eastern Europe.  Possibly Turkey...the Czech Republic...maybe even Russia.

Sorry I meant the US won't get 2018.

And unfortunately I don't think England will either.  See above - it will be somewhere like SA - poor but deserving.

Or maybe Paris will stage a unilateral bid for them, all to themselves...they seem to have more luck with FIFA than the IOC....

Put it this way, I hope not.

it will be somewhere like SA

Did you mean South America or South Africa?

South Africa is hosting the 2010 WC, and I am sure Brazil or Argentina will bid for 2014 - I think the WC will be in Southern America. Only logical to think it will go back to Europe in 2018 - Fifa needs Europe, fact.

Welcome back, Mitch.

I reckon Europe will get 2018 - it makes no sense to keep the event away from the area where there is the most money to be made - so England should still bid.  London will have an extra venue now - the Olympic Stadium - it makes sense.

I'd like to see Turkey and Russia bid - but do they have enough WC class stadiums?  Russia for instance could feasibly have matches played in cities seperated by huge distances.  Would a spectator travel to Vladivostok to see a match??  Turkey I think would need a huge upgrade program for their stadia outside of Istanbul and perhaps Izmir.

Personally, I think the Olympic Games would be a bonus for the WC bid in 2018.

It'll show that the UK can pull off a major sporting event.  And, unlike the Olympics, there will be no major infrastructure upgrades needed for the Cup.

Technically, England could host next years WC without needing to do any building work (apart from finish Wembley).  We've got more than enough football stadiums around the country that can easily accomodate the matches.  Even teams down in league 1 (the '3rd' league after the Premiership and the Championship) have good enough stadiums to host WC games.

And, unlike certain other countries, there wouldn't been that much travelling needed between the matches - it would be very compacts compared to somewhere like the US (unless the US hosted all the matches within one particular state?).

And unfortunately I don't think England will either.  See above - it will be somewhere like SA - poor but deserving.

Or maybe Paris will stage a unilateral bid for them, all to themselves...they seem to have more luck with FIFA than the IOC....

Brazil is hosting the 2014 World Cup after no other South American countries bid, so I think that 2018 will be in Europe.

I can see Spain putting a bid in for it aswell.

there will be a hard compmetition in europe for 2018 SWC

italy,spain,portugal,russia,england even greece or nordic countries like denmark & sweden could bid

I think we can discount Greece, as they are applying for the Euro 2012 competition. If they got it, it would rule them out.

To my knowledge, the nordic countries do not possess the adequate stadia for the World Cup? unless they go on a multi million dollor stadium devlopment plan I think a bid by them would be premature.

Italy hosted the 1990 World Cup. Going back there would be too early. I think hosting a Euro Championship is more ideal for Italia.

Portugal? I couldn't see it. Euro 2004 was a success, but Portugal is a small country, and would need to redevlop some of its stadia to compete.

I think England and Spain are the only countries in Europe (by 2018) which count mount a successful bid.

Russia is a long shot.

Brazil is hosting the 2014 World Cup after no other South American countries bid, so I think that 2018 will be in Europe.

Sorry, I didn't mean South America, I meant a country along the same lines as South Africa (whom I realize are getting it in 2010): relatively poor & deserving, football mad, never had the World Cup before.  All the things that the US is not, in other words...

My prediction is still somewhere in central/eastern Europe, most of which by then will have been in the EU for a decade and have sorted itself out.  

But it could even be China by that time... they are going to be working really hard on their soccer for Beijing, and the money behind soccer will love the idea of tapping into the Chinese market.

isnt it Glasgow thats going for the comonwealth games next in the uk??? :P

i know we are bidding, just cant remember the year we are going for, but if thats the case im sure a Scottish commonwealth bid wont be affected only enhanced by London 2012 :cool:

Yes ,Glasgow is and good luck to Glasgow too . They had better do a better job of it than Edinburgh did because that was embarassingly bad .

Personally, I think the Olympic Games would be a bonus for the WC bid in 2018.

It'll show that the UK can pull off a major sporting event.  And, unlike the Olympics, there will be no major infrastructure upgrades needed for the Cup.

Technically, England could host next years WC without needing to do any building work (apart from finish Wembley).  We've got more than enough football stadiums around the country that can easily accomodate the matches.  Even teams down in league 1 (the '3rd' league after the Premiership and the Championship) have good enough stadiums to host WC games.

And, unlike certain other countries, there wouldn't been that much travelling needed between the matches - it would be very compacts compared to somewhere like the US (unless the US hosted all the matches within one particular state?).

" It'll show that the UK can pull off a major sporting event.  And, unlike the Olympics, there will be no major infrastructure upgrades needed for the Cup."

Where do you actually come from ?

Didn't you see Euro 96 , The Commonwealth Games or Rugby World Cup ? . The UK is home to some of the greatest annual sporting events in the world and you talk as if we're Pakistan !

Archived