Telegraph Interview with Rogge

A, sorta, interesting interview with Rogge from UK's Telegraph.

Interview: Jacques Rogge, IOC president

Don't think it gives much away, or paints any much more of a picture beyond the "dour Belgian bureaucrat".

But liked the Pound's comment:

'Rogge speaks five languages – and says stuff-all in all of them.'

You mean things like his multi-lingual double talk. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but Rogge says that as only part of the job. And the thing is, he is a physician by training -- not a diplomat; so he has actually gotten quite good at it. It's the receiver of the message that has to filter it and decide whether it's substantial or merely ceremonial doublespeak.

Yeah, but Rogge says that as only part of the job. And the thing is, he is a physician by training -- not a diplomat; so he has actually gotten quite good at it. It's the receiver of the message that has to filter it and decide whether it's substantial or merely ceremonial doublespeak.

Exactly. I see him far more as being diplomatic rather than duplicitous.

I think overall he's been a breathe of fresh air after the Brundage-Berliuox-Samaranch epochs. Collegiate and consultative rather than dicatatorial.

In light of how golf and rugby were chosen for 2016, I take issue with this portrayal. I had a lot of hope that Rogge would bring about significant change, but honestly don't see that much more transparency from the IOC. The amount of coddling required by the IOC from each host city is still quite nauseating. There also seems to be a trend to do "just enough". Just enough lip service about human rights in the case of China. Demanding changes in judging formats for sports without demanding real accountability. If you look at the Olympic charter in the article, how much real progress has been made? I will grant that in the area of doping, the IOC has made great strides. How much of that credit goes to Dick Pound, though?

But yes, he is definitely better than his predecessors.

Archived