Which city will have the best bid overall?

intoronto

EXCEPT Brazil, with OVER 180,000,000 people (like # 5, 6 or 7 in the world, and representing one of the 2 "unplayed" continents) has NEVER HOSTED an Olympic Games. You, Canada, for a country of 30 million, have already hosted 3 Olympics.

As I said, if the CBC or (whatever network there now broadcasts the Olympics, trumps what the USA pays for its coverage, then I'll believe that your Toronto has a shot in the next 15 years. But please, u're puffing up Toronto's immediate chances too soon. Also, Brazil's PanAms were exactly the MODEL of streamlined games. There were major problems but the IOC was willing to give them a pass.

:rolleyes: Whistling in the wind.

I don't expect Toronto win, just to bid. By the way its CTV, TSN and others who host. Canada has 35 million ppl not 30 million. Comparing population with hosting rights NBC paid about 10 times what CTV did for 2010/12 and Canada has about the tenth of the population of the USA.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't expect Toronto win, just to bid. By the way its CTV, TSN and others who host. Canada has 35 million ppl not 30 million. Comparing population with hosting rights NBC paid about 10 times what CTV did for 2010/12 and Canada has about the tenth of the population of the USA.

So that's what I'm trying to say --these are somewhat proportional. And ALL OF THESE, etc., factor in on a bid's chances. Not just because it's the next open slot (which continental rotation would favor).

I'm still betting that Toronto is really going to win 2020; mainly because they have had experience after two failed attempts within 24 years, our dollar is strong compared to the rest of the world, the 2015 Pan AM games will certainly help us improve our experience in handling big summer sports events.

I would bet the farm that Toronto will not win 2020.

The U.S. is in turmoil at the moment, but for the moment it is still the world's largest economy, a major sports power and a key component to keeping the Olympic Movement alive and well. The turmoil is not going to last forever. It would be a mistake to under estimate American strength.

Incidentally, I find it fascinating that Obama's biggest opposition in the presidential race is likely to be the President and CEO of the Salt Lake City Olympic Organizing Committee. If he were elected, I can imagine he could do a GREAT deal to inspire IOC members to return the the US sooner rather than later. Based on the troubles Obama is experiencing, I do not think that this is a far-fetched scenario at all.

I would bet the farm that Toronto will not win 2020.

The U.S. is in turmoil at the moment, but for the moment it is still the world's largest economy, a major sports power and a key component to keeping the Olympic Movement alive and well. The turmoil is not going to last forever. It would be a mistake to under estimate American strength.

Incidentally, I find it fascinating that Obama's biggest opposition in the presidential race is likely to be the President and CEO of the Salt Lake City Olympic Organizing Committee. If he were elected, I can imagine he could do a GREAT deal to inspire IOC members to return the the US sooner rather than later. Based on the troubles Obama is experiencing, I do not think that this is a far-fetched scenario at all.

With all due and respect, while I will admit that 2024 may also be a possibility; the fact of the matter is that majority of Americans oppose hosting an olympics. And bring forth another issue, if a city and state government wants to host the olympics, one of the biggest hurdles they're likely going to face this decade is the Tea Party. They're already one of the most influential political movements in the entire country, and I really can't imagine people who are hounding for deep spending counts would essentially support something that would essentially require quite a bit of spending, and tax increases if the bill is larger then they anticipated.

I really do think Toronto should bid now, while the playing field is low. Although it would have been nice for the 2015 Pan Ams to be a springboard for a future Olympics, it really wasn't necessary of course. Bid now whilst Durban isn't in the race, whilst Paris isn't either, or even an American bid for that matter (although of course last minute bids are still possible).

Better off with an early bid for 2020, rather than a potential bid for 2024 with a potentially much larger competition field and a far greater chance of losing. Vancouver having hosted the Winter Olympics in 2010, shouldn't be a hindrance.

With all due and respect, while I will admit that 2024 may also be a possibility; the fact of the matter is that majority of Americans oppose hosting an olympics. And bring forth another issue, if a city and state government wants to host the olympics, one of the biggest hurdles they're likely going to face this decade is the Tea Party. They're already one of the most influential political movements in the entire country, and I really can't imagine people who are hounding for deep spending counts would essentially support something that would essentially require quite a bit of spending, and tax increases if the bill is larger then they anticipated.

However, you forget that any Olympics in the U.S.A. are privately financed, for the most part. It is the USOC's philosphy that their party should be paid for sectors of society that are INTERESTED in it. That they do NOT want to take public funds that would otherwise go to education, social services, etc. So really, what has that dumb Tea Party or any political stripe got to do with whether an Olympics happens in the US or not. So that is one of the stumbling blocks U.S. cities face in bidding for the Olympics because the blood-sucking IOC wants gov'ts to pay for their Party, and the USOC will NOT burden willing parties in our society with those costs. Nearly ALL the other 203 NOCs depend on their governments to foot their Olympic bills and dreams; it is only the USA that pays for the Olympics (except for the security costs) from private sources. So you as a taxpayer don't have to feel that your $$ are going to a circus that you may not particularly care for.

I really do think Toronto should bid now, while the playing field is low. Although it would have been nice for the 2015 Pan Ams to be a springboard for a future Olympics, it really wasn't necessary of course. Bid now whilst Durban isn't in the race, whilst Paris isn't either, or even an American bid for that matter (although of course last minute bids are still possible).

Better off with an early bid for 2020, rather than a potential bid for 2024 with a potentially much larger competition field and a far greater chance of losing. Vancouver having hosted the Winter Olympics in 2010, shouldn't be a hindrance.

That's because you want to see 5 logos adorning your new GB sgnature instead of just 4, huh? :lol:

However, you forget that any Olympics in the U.S.A. are privately financed, for the most part. It is the USOC's philosphy that their party should be paid for sectors of society that are INTERESTED in it. That they do NOT want to take public funds that would otherwise go to education, social services, etc. So really, what has that dumb Tea Party or any political stripe got to do with whether an Olympics happens in the US or not. So that is one of the stumbling blocks U.S. cities face in bidding for the Olympics because the blood-sucking IOC wants gov'ts to pay for their Party, and the USOC will NOT burden willing parties in our society with those costs. Nearly ALL the other 203 NOCs depend on their governments to foot their Olympic bills and dreams; it is only the USA that pays for the Olympics (except for the security costs) from private sources. So you as a taxpayer don't hace to feel that your $$ are going to a circus that you don't particularly pay for.

Even if it is true, its still very unlikely. I really can't say for sure if that is common knowledge among americans as I am a Canadian; however I am certain that the economic debate down there has become toxic enough If the Tea Party does not know that -or chooses to ignore it because it is leftist sugar-coating propoganda in they're mind-, my guess is that they will make sure that every politician hear they're calls, and if they decide to hold it in a city where Republicans control many parts of state and city government, the chances for that city -like Dallas- is essentially nill. Even though they are dumb, they Tea Party is very powerful, and has managed to make alot of Republicans to hold they're ground on core conservative fiscal beliefs.

Even if it is true, its still very unlikely. I really can't say for sure if that is common knowledge among americans as I am a Canadian; however I am certain that the economic debate down there has become toxic enough If the Tea Party does not know that -or chooses to ignore it because it is leftist sugar-coating propoganda in they're mind-, my guess is that they will make sure that every politician hear they're calls, and if they decide to hold it in a city where Republicans control many parts of state and city government, the chances for that city -like Dallas- is essentially nill. Even though they are dumb, they Tea Party is very powerful, and has managed to make alot of Republicans to hold they're ground on core conservative fiscal beliefs.

Pssst...I live down here. I know what I write about. ;)

And actually, I am starting my own party...the Crumpets!! We will be stronger than the Tea Party!!

However, you forget that any Olympics in the U.S.A. are privately financed, for the most part. It is the USOC's philosphy that their party should be paid for sectors of society that are INTERESTED in it. That they do NOT want to take public funds that would otherwise go to education, social services, etc. So really, what has that dumb Tea Party or any political stripe got to do with whether an Olympics happens in the US or not. So that is one of the stumbling blocks U.S. cities face in bidding for the Olympics because the blood-sucking IOC wants gov'ts to pay for their Party, and the USOC will NOT burden willing parties in our society with those costs. Nearly ALL the other 203 NOCs depend on their governments to foot their Olympic bills and dreams; it is only the USA that pays for the Olympics (except for the security costs) from private sources. So you as a taxpayer don't have to feel that your $$ are going to a circus that you may not particularly care for.

That's because you want to see 5 logos adorning your new GB sgnature instead of just 4, huh? :lol:

No so the playing field is further strengthened :lol:

Toronto would be silly to bid for 2020. Host the Pan Ams, then bid for 2024. Worked for Rio.

Why Canada again? Well, Dick Pound aside, Canada's well respected in the sport event community. Our reputation is to quietly get on with things and to be fair when doing so. Substance rather than style. Ca-nad-ian.

And...our finances aren't hooped: Italy's and Spain's are. The optics for those governments supporting a video are poor: for the IOC to award them to a country without a solid fiscal ground? After Athens, never gonna happen again.

If Istanbul puts a solid bid together, they can win it. The Turkish economy is strong, they're solidly aligned with the West, but plugged in to the Muslim world. EU candidate, long-time NATO member. It's a mélange of new frontier and old friend.

And they can afford the Games. Italy and Spain and Japan CAN'T.

:lol: If Toronto has such an abysmal chance of winning 2020, what are so many of our American friends here so vocal in against of the bid. There is nothing for you to worry about, just like nobody would take Doha seriously if they bid for 2020.

Perhaps they are afraid that for the unlikely chance that the stars align and Europeans eying for 2022/2024 gnawing each other out, a Toronto 2020 win would set US back to the 2030s for a Summer Games. Therefore a DO NOT BID would at least give them a peace of mind for the next 2 years.

As I said though, any decent US bid in 2020 would beat Canadian bid for sure. With what the geopolitics right Toronto should bid for 2020 because the next window of opportunity could be well into the 30s or the 40s!! If nothing they can at least use 2020 to get experience (as if we really need it) and/or sympathy vote for bids down the road.

I don't think it's any of that at all. I think it's moreso the not-so objectiveness of the Toronto supporters. It was parallel to when Chicago was bidding for 2016. So many non-Americans claimed that "the U.S. has hosted way too many Games to be awarded more". So I simply don't see that much of a difference with that argument when it comes to Canada. The IOC has been more than generous already to such a small nation in a small time span.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived