Which cities will bid for 2020? Which city do you want to win? Which city will win?

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which cities will bid (you are allowed to pick six only)?

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)
    • another one (please specify)
  2. 2. Which city do you want to win (you are allowed to pick one only)??

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)
  3. 3. Which city will win (you are allowed to pick one only)?

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)

I have read on an italian newspaper from a journalist which is admittedly a poor source that by the deadline of the 29th of July only 4 NOC have confirmed to the IOC the intention to partecipate to the 2020 race:

Italy

Spain

Japan

and....

USA (without a specific candidate)

No Turkey nor SA

Two questions:

1) do you reconn this deadline is a firm one (no other can partecipate other than the 4 countries above

2) do you know if the info above is correct?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read on an italian newspaper from a journalist which is admittedly a poor source that by the deadline of the 29th of July only 4 NOC have confirmed to the IOC the intention to partecipate to the 2020 race:

Italy

Spain

Japan

and....

USA (without a specific candidate)

No Turkey nor SA

Two questions:

1) do you reconn this deadline is a firm one (no other can partecipate other than the 4 countries above

2) do you know if the info above is correct?

False because Istanbul has already bid.

False because Istanbul has already bid.

not officially yet :/ the ministers and the prime minister said istanbul will bid... but not confirmed yet... half official we can say.

The official deadline is September 1st, not July 29th.

The July 29th date was for interested bidding cities that wanted to plan to host the Games outside the IOC's ideal window of July 15th - August 31st, to notify the IOC by this date.

There are still 30 days left, though, to the official deadline of September 1st. Obviously that Italian 'journalist' is incorrect. Especially when they mention the U.S. but no city, & the USOC has made no confirmation as such to date.

I didn't say that would be an argument, so that's good ^^ And excuse me for not writing like you in English (you've commented on it to me once or twice) : this is not my mother tongue, so I do what I can. But using such an offending and strong word like "propaganda" is really improper, as if I was only saying lies and nonsenses...

Well, maybe I should take offense myself for you "improperly" accusing me of insulting you when I did no such thing. Read the thread again. I didn't use "propoganda" to describe you. And it was mainly a tongue-in-cheek reference anyway. But since you're saying that English is not your 'mother tongue', maybe you should be more careful then before pointing fingers.

Well, maybe I should take offense myself for you "improperly" accusing me of insulting you when I did no such thing. Read the thread again. I didn't use "propoganda" to describe you. And it was mainly a tongue-in-cheek reference anyway. But since you're saying that English is not your 'mother tongue', maybe you should be more careful then before pointing fingers.

Generally, when a stranger strives to speak your language, you try to be indulgent towards him, above all if he makes effort. But of course, you're not obliged to do so ^^

And since you hadn't understand what I meant in one of my precedent messages and told I was Spanish without knowing anything about me (you were wrong, of course), you should be careful in reading my messages to . But I don't know what's wrong with you : you have repeatedly talked to me as I was totally stupid... So if you don't want to be friendly with me, please ignore me.

The official deadline is September 1st, not July 29th.

The July 29th date was for interested bidding cities that wanted to plan to host the Games outside the IOC's ideal window of July 15th - August 31st, to notify the IOC by this date.

There are still 30 days left, though, to the official deadline of September 1st. Obviously that Italian 'journalist' is incorrect. Especially when they mention the U.S. but no city, & the USOC has made no confirmation as such to date.

Actually, July 29th was the deadline for two things:

• NOC to announce their intention of staging he Games outside of the requested period
  • Written declaration of WADA and CAS compliance

But the NOC still have until September 1st to nominae a city.

If one follows the rules, in theory a NOC that has not submitted the compliance declaration should not be allowed to submit a bid. However, I am quite sure that the IOC would bend the rule if needed.

Generally, when a stranger strives to speak your language, you try to be indulgent towards him, above all if he makes effort. But of course, you're not obliged to do so ^^

And since you hadn't understand what I meant in one of my precedent messages and told I was Spanish without knowing anything about me (you were wrong, of course), you should be careful in reading my messages to . But I don't know what's wrong with you : you have repeatedly talked to me as I was totally stupid... So if you don't want to be friendly with me, please ignore me.

I think your English is fantastic.

Actually, July 29th was the deadline for two things:

• NOC to announce their intention of staging he Games outside of the requested period
  • Written declaration of WADA and CAS compliance

But the NOC still have until September 1st to nominae a city.

If one follows the rules, in theory a NOC that has not submitted the compliance declaration should not be allowed to submit a bid. However, I am quite sure that the IOC would bend the rule if needed.

That's exactly what I meant

Theoretically a NOC does not have to specify the city but has to submit the written declaration

So it seems that only USA, Italy, Spain and Japan did so. I also believe USA move is probably just to keep the door open and that anyway the IOC will bend the rule if - say - Istanbul wants to bid

That's exactly what I meant

Theoretically a NOC does not have to specify the city but has to submit the written declaration

So it seems that only USA, Italy, Spain and Japan did so. I also believe USA move is probably just to keep the door open and that anyway the IOC will bend the rule if - say - Istanbul wants to bid

According to this source, South Africa has also been confirmed, and Qatar and Turkey still just may have. And, yes, they'd probably bend the deadline rule if someone else wanted to jump in.

Actually, does anyone know if it's the NOC's that have revealed they made the compliance statement deadline, or the IOC (officially or unofficially)?

South Africa and USA still considering joining the campaign

The NOCs of South Africa and the United States are still contemplating joining the 2020 Olympic bid race and just in case both have met the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) first deadline for paperwork.

Japan, Italy and Spain have already sent in their letters confirming their compliance with the rules of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). If a bidding country wanted to submit a change in calendar dates this was also the time to formally make the request according to new IOC guidelines for bidding cities.

Doha, Qatar and Istanbul, Turkey are the other two potential contenders in the 2020 campaign. Neither one has confirmed as yet if they have sent in the preliminary letter.

SportsFeatures

I can't believe so much has been said about 2 cities with next to none chances of winning (MSP and Tulsa)...

Anyway, I think South Africa is not going to run and if it does it is not going to win, unless they bid with Cape Town, instead of Durban. When major Euro superpowers line up together, the Games are going there. There is no escape.

Without the actual bids starting to work, it is difficult to make predictions, but among the most likely bids (Tokyo, Istanbul, Rome and Madrid), I think the Turkish have the most potential. Geopolitics is a big advantage for them since they have never hosted neither in the country or in the city. Economically, Turkey is the one better off. Besides, Istanbul is an iconic city with features that makes it quite easy to build a story around the Olympic bid.

Rome has started earlier and the massive presence of Italians in the IOC is a good asset. However, Rome has hosted and Italy is suffering for economical and political turmoil. Again, it won't be difficult to build a nice story around the bid. I see it as a second force in the race.

Tokyo has a good chance if it convinces losing European bids to support it in the following round to allow for a 2024 attempt. The bid should be technically superb as in 2016 but might lack much enthusiasm. Biggest hurdles are PC 2018 and line up of European superpowers.

Finally, Madrid will have a techincally superb and enthusiastic bid. However, Barcelona was not long ago and Samaranch is not around anymore. The economy is also a big hurdle.

I'm sorry if you think that I'm not being friendly with you (these forums though are sometimes filled with tumultuous conversations from various people). But it's not like you're tryng to extend out an olive branch to me either when you're using words like "preposterous, improper & offending" & also accusing me off insulting you when I did no such thing. Even in this very post of yours you're telling me "I don't know what's wrong with you". This is offensive & insulting to me. How is this being "friendly with me"?

And no, I don't know anything about you, but when your screen name is "Espana" what is one initially to think. Generally, it's people who have strong ties to something where they use things, names or whatever to try & identify at least something about themselves right from the start. Okay, so you're not Spanish. Forgive me for reading too much into your online handle here.

And quite frankly, judging by this last post of yours, it seems that your English skills are much better than you're giving yourself credit for. So I don't even understand how this has gotten as far as it has when you apparently shouldn't have any problems deciphering things in English. But whatever, I'm not gonna "offend" you anymore. I'll heed your request & ignore you. Sorry you feel that way, but it's a two-way street in life a lot of times. But maybe you & I can start to be civil to one another later on. Thanks.

Considering the bids we have by now.

I agree with Aluz, I can see big European battle and I'd root for Madrid in this scenario.

Rome still have great chances. It's quite impossible NOW to put Madrid or Rome ahead.

Adding Istanbul to the race, my prediction and favourite changes. Istanbul can use the emerging-country card, specially because the 2 other European bidders (curiously) are in the middle of the financial turmoil.

Tokyo will be a great bidder, but I don't see the games after Rio not going "home" (Europe-North America axis), unless South Africa enters the bid race and if yes, now we will have a great and unpredictable race with more votes spitled for different reasons.

I would like to see a race with more bidders, indeed, with some American or Canadian city joining the process.

Archived