Which cities will bid for 2020? Which city do you want to win? Which city will win?

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which cities will bid (you are allowed to pick six only)?

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)
    • another one (please specify)
  2. 2. Which city do you want to win (you are allowed to pick one only)??

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)
  3. 3. Which city will win (you are allowed to pick one only)?

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)

i was making tukish coffee so cant calculate it :P

well for me a country already had olympics before must wait at least 10 games to bid again. if turns into madrid 2020 chicago 2024 melbourne 2028 paris 2032 shangai 2036 its out of olympism. so just the hosted countries race at the games not the others and turn it into a private club...? i dont like this... the more new ones added to list the more olympics get meaningfull

I agreed.

Maybe 2036 is Madrid's time.

And bid for 3-times in a row is a reckless challenge really.

Not good for the citizens of Madrid.

In that sense, I can't understand Sweden.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

800px-Host_Nations_of_Summer_Olympics.svg.png

as u see.. %70 of the countries out of this map, % 50 population of the world or more, % 60 land mass...

i know its an expensive organiation and so few countries before 70s can handle such event. but the world has changed just now i can give u 10 country names which can organise the games technically . u cant dismiss the others and just link the games to the red ones again and again. thats why im complaining.

well for me a country already had olympics before must wait at least 10 games to bid again. if turns into madrid 2020 chicago 2024 melbourne 2028 paris 2032 shangai 2036 its out of olympism. so just the hosted countries race at the games not the others and turn it into a private club...? i dont like this... the more new ones added to list the more olympics get meaningfull

Yes, I get your point. But if we couldn't bid, Istanbul would be the only candidate for 2020, and what would you like the most? being awarded the Olympics by default or beating cities like Rome and Madrid by your own merits? I'd personally prefer the latter. The same way, Rio would have been the only candidate for 2016, and who could have been the candidate for 2012? Havana? Also, the most powerful countries on Earth (USA, China, Japan, several from the European Union...) wouldn't like it at all if only new frontiers hosted.

I agreed.

:blink: :blink: You agree?? And how on earth could you support Annecy for 2018?? :huh:

Yes, I get your point. But if we couldn't bid, Istanbul would be the only candidate for 2020, and what would you like the most? being awarded the Olympics by default or beating cities like Rome and Madrid by your own merits? I'd personally prefer the latter. The same way, Rio would have been the only candidate for 2016, and who could have been the candidate for 2012? Havana? Also, the most powerful countries on Earth (USA, China, Japan, several from the European Union...) wouldn't like it at all if only new frontiers hosted.

its an honour for us to race with those cities.;) and the best plan will win again for sure. but its st. else. i support Istanbul cause my homeland and i believe instead of all (-)'s istanbul has the soul of olympism and can be one of the best cities ever fit to the games, BUT i really really want to see the games in Africa, india and indochina too. people here mostly underestimate others and just see the games must be in that RED countries.

madrid i like to see. one of the imperial cities of the world but its early for them o host IMO.

aha just realize the logo of rio also the eternity sign too:) nice job especially after that running beijing and ugly london ones

and if SA bids, 2 Southern Hemisphere cities one after the other... will it be possible?

Turkey is so deluded. One tiny ass little smudge of that country is on the other side of the Bosporus and they think that makes them "European".

more european than cyprus. totally her lands in asian continent geographically.

Turkey is a member of european olympic council and sport federations, also in European parliament.

if u have any objection please contact to EOC or council of europe ;)

aha just realize the logo of rio also the eternity sign too:) nice job especially after that running beijing and ugly london ones

and if SA bids, 2 Southern Hemisphere cities one after the other... will it be possible?

Is there an Hemispherical rotation?

How many is the record for nothern hemisphere in a row? 12?

smile.gif

Just kidding, I know, most part of manking lives on North and also, there are more mass of land in the Nothern Hemisphere.

Indeed for that, I don't think "hemispherical rotation" can be taken seriously.

Is there an Hemispherical rotation?

How many is the record for nothern hemisphere in a row? 12?

smile.gif

Just kidding, I know, most part of manking lives on North and also, there are more mass of land in the Nothern Hemisphere.

Indeed for that, I don't think "hemispherical rotation" can be taken seriously.

no no i mean the timings? will it delay to september an if so about the media coverage will t be a problem?

And who is this winning bid in the United States going to come from? I can assure you it won't be New York. Doesn't sound like Chicago wants to go through it again. Someone has to convince the USOC to run with them. They're not going to bid just for the sake of bidding.

Remember also as has been brought up many times here before.. a lot of IOC members consider the Americas to be 1 continent, so continental rotation isn't really working in North America's favor.

Um...Thant person who said the IOC considers the Americas as one continent is not in-tune with the IOC at all. The IOC treats the US completely differently than the rest of North america let alone north and south america. They may share a ring on the flag but the ioc is saying well since South america got an olympics then that means north america got one. Even if Toronto were to get an olympics tomorrow the US could still possibly get one the next day. I say all of this to mean The US represent MONEY. They have the funds to put on the games and they have the funds to make a profit from them and thus they are not treated the same. it is also the reason why they get snubbed. So please when making comments like that really think about the big picture.

Having said that I know USOC bidding is a pipe dream and a long shot but LA has expressed interest as well as Dallas making it known that they ar ready in the event the USOC decides to bid so we will see.

no no i mean the timings? will it delay to september an if so about the media coverage will t be a problem?

There are no problems because it's south.

The axis of timezones is east-west, and South Africa time zone is similar to western Europe.

If you are talking about plans to host the games in September, Sydney already did it.

I fully support Madrid's bid and I think they have a great chance of getting the Olympics. The past 2 bidding processes they have been in the top 3 despite a lot of people on here thinking they weren't going to do well initially. Never count out Madrid, and the economic situation is projected to improve a lot by 2020. Remember, any major spending on venues and infrastructure related to the bid wouldn't even start until 2013 if the bid wins then, which allows even more time for the economic situation to strengthen, which I think it will, despite the current scare with the italian debt contagion.

Vamos Madrid!

Madrid is stronger than never, IMO. If they games goes to Europe, Madrid is the one.

They are now experienced, have a great city and plan and a third bid show how much Madrid wants the games - this is nice.

But, Mr. Rogge already said Madrid was not humble, specially after the loss for 2016 games (so many idiotic speeching from Spanish press and Madrid 2016 bid staff), "The Samaranch party" or what left of it inside IOC politics is opposition and financial crisis can hurt popular support or even financing the works.

Still, Madrid can consider themselves already shortlisted.

But if we couldn't bid, Istanbul would be the only candidate for 2020, and what would you like the most? being awarded the Olympics by default or beating cities like Rome and Madrid by your own merits? I'd personally prefer the latter. The same way, Rio would have been the only candidate for 2016, and who could have been the candidate for 2012? Havana? Also, the most powerful countries on Earth (USA, China, Japan, several from the European Union...) wouldn't like it at all if only new frontiers hosted.

No the problem with a Madrid bid in comparison to London, Paris, Rome etc is simply that Spain has already hosted the Olympics in most peoples' life-span; which is not the case for Italy, Great Britain and France. How could it had have been fair for Madrid to host in 2012, so close to Barca 1992, when equally or perhaps more capable host countries in Europe haven't hosted for more than half a century? Yeah, we get that Madrid is a different city to Barca. But the Olympics is hosted by the whole country, its NOC and its population, even if its concentrated in just one city; and thats the problem with a Madrid bid. It gives Spain yet another opportunity when other countries havent experienced the privilege in generations. So don't cast Madrid in the same boat as Rome, Paris, Berlin etc. There's the argument the Barca and Madrid are fiercely independent of each other; by why then would that be appealing for the IOC to send the Games to a country which isnt entirely united behind a bid?

And Spain does not compare to the United States which, perhaps now along with China, are the only countries where bidding for a Games within say 28 years of their previous hosting wouldn't be that detrimental.

I could go with either Rome or Madrid, really. I think climate conditions in Rome would be nicer, though, as it's nearer the sea, whereas Madrid is in the middle of the Iberian Peninsula and it would be hotter there.

If 2020 is going back to Europe again, I'd personally prefer to see the Games in Germany rather than Italy or Spain. Germany is bearing the weight of the EU and if they bid they should be selected over candidates from those countries that are dragging the EU down.

Archived