Which cities will bid for 2020? Which city do you want to win? Which city will win?

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which cities will bid (you are allowed to pick six only)?

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)
    • another one (please specify)
  2. 2. Which city do you want to win (you are allowed to pick one only)??

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)
  3. 3. Which city will win (you are allowed to pick one only)?

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)

I don't really know where my support lies just yet for 2020. Surely, if South Africa throws in a bid, I will support them. I loved South Africa when I visited there in 2007, and it would be awesome to see them host a Games.

I am not completely sold on Rome. I think it would be kind of similar to the Athens feel (not that that's bad), but it would interest me more than Madrid at this point. I would like to see Istanbul and Tokyo throw in a bid just to spice things up. It would also be interesting to see Doha put together a proposal with dates in the summer months with all air conditioned venues. They would probably be short listed, but the first to go in round one of voting. It might take votes away from Istanbul too.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well so far there have been no surprise bidders.

This isn't the kind of a race where all of sudden some members of, say, the Havana City Council suddenly wake up on August 30th and say: hmmmmmm, what are we going to do today? Oh, yeah ...that 2020 thing. Let's do that today!! :rolleyes:

This is a race that's at least 10 months - one year in gestation; not an overnight thing to "surprise" the world.

This isn't the kind of a race where all of sudden some members of, say, the Havana City Council suddenly wake up on August 30th and say: hmmmmmm, what are we going to do today? Oh, yeah ...that 2020 thing. Let's do that today!! :rolleyes:

This is a race that's at least 10 months - one year in gestation; not an overnight thing to "surprise" the world.

Baku was a bit of a surprise to me in the 2016 race. We may see a couple turn up like that this time around...

Baku was a bit of a surprise to me in the 2016 race. We may see a couple turn up like that this time around...

Well, see how far they got. But I am sure members of their Olympic Committee were talking it up with their City Hall for a few months.

I guess what I'm saying is a credible bid isn't one slapped together with chewing gum, staples and spit 2 weeks before the deadline.

Well, Azerbaijan is very rich! You might don't know the Eurovision Song Contest, but Baku will host it next year in may.

At the moment the city has not a capable venue, but Azerbaijan is in talks with the EBU and it seems an arena will be built until next year.

I'm quite sure that the European NOC's are aware of that and if Baku is able to do that in one year - why no Olympic Games beyond new frontiers in the brink between middle east and the caucacus?

I am thinking the new frontier concept is getting out of hands.

PC doesn't count because they were front runners all the way back for the 2010 bid, before this "new frontier" was ever cool.

I disagree that they were ever a frontrunner for 2010 - far more a surprisingly strong 2nd placer who hadn't been expected to figure that high.

PC is not because So. Korea has already hosted a SOG; its neighbor, Japan, has hosted BOTh SOGs and WOGs...so how can it be a "new frontier"?

And Africa is not so much "new frontier" as "last place we haven't been to." That's more how I see it. After that, the last region that probably hasn't hosted, home to some 1.5+ billion people is the Indian subcontinent/Indochina/Southeast Asia. But the weather there is the problem; altho I am sure someday Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur can be a suitable host.

2020 will be a very strange race

Japan might be afraid because of PC 2018 WinterGames

SouthAfrica seems to be afraid because of the Money

USA seems still clueless

would love to see a Melbourne bid

it would be a shame if Rome/Madrid would get the Games served on a silver-plate

Canada may bid but can they really win a vote 3 years after Vancouver's games.Especially when the games weren't unanimously praised ?

Weren't the Vancouver Games unanimously praised? At the IOC session last week they said this is the new Gold Standard for the Winter Games.

I find no point voting on this now, it's not accurate. Anyways, I've been waiting for a winning US bid, I wasnt in this world yet when atlanta was awarded lol Rome sounds exciting, Madrid I grew tired of it but I get the vibe of a very Happy bid, NYC CHI nd LA is a big question mark for me (?) isn't time for a new American bid? I think these cities say "we deserve to win bc we're america" nd very compact with skyscrapers with busy ppl, no charm. maybe they should go for a 2nd tier city? Idk but I'd love to see something new nd unexpected

You cannot receive PM's.

well for me a country already had olympics before must wait at least 10 games to bid again. if turns into madrid 2020 chicago 2024 melbourne 2028 paris 2032 shangai 2036 its out of olympism. so just the hosted countries race at the games not the others and turn it into a private club...? i dont like this... the more new ones added to list the more olympics get meaningfull

In that list Amsterdam 2040:-D

Um...Thant person who said the IOC considers the Americas as one continent is not in-tune with the IOC at all. The IOC treats the US completely differently than the rest of North america let alone north and south america. They may share a ring on the flag but the ioc is saying well since South america got an olympics then that means north america got one. Even if Toronto were to get an olympics tomorrow the US could still possibly get one the next day. I say all of this to mean The US represent MONEY. They have the funds to put on the games and they have the funds to make a profit from them and thus they are not treated the same. it is also the reason why they get snubbed. So please when making comments like that really think about the big picture.

Having said that I know USOC bidding is a pipe dream and a long shot but LA has expressed interest as well as Dallas making it known that they ar ready in the event the USOC decides to bid so we will see.

Wow, really? You're telling me to look at the big picture after saying "I think the US will win.. It is the most perfect time for a US bid" and then going to "I know USOC bidding is a pipe dream" and you're essentially just throwing out any city that expresses interest. Heck, let's have them put Tulsa up there to give the IOC a laugh.

You're right that the United States means money. Yea, how'd that work out when New York was up for 2012 and Chicago was up for 2016. I'm not saying Rio eliminates the United States from contention for 2020 any more than Vancouver's 2010 win knocked out New York, but you have to admit that in an IOC that's largely European, it might be a stretch to have 2 straight games in the Americas, especially when there seem to be more than a couple of bids coming out of Europe and very little of note from anyone in North America. If I thought the USOC was going to make a run at this one like they did the last time, that would be one thing. Clearly they're not, so unless something changes over the next 6 weeks, the 2020 Olympics will NOT be in the United States and probably not in North America.

Wow, really? You're telling me to look at the big picture after saying "I think the US will win.. It is the most perfect time for a US bid" and then going to "I know USOC bidding is a pipe dream" and you're essentially just throwing out any city that expresses interest. Heck, let's have them put Tulsa up there to give the IOC a laugh.

You're right that the United States means money. Yea, how'd that work out when New York was up for 2012 and Chicago was up for 2016. I'm not saying Rio eliminates the United States from contention for 2020 any more than Vancouver's 2010 win knocked out New York, but you have to admit that in an IOC that's largely European, it might be a stretch to have 2 straight games in the Americas, especially when there seem to be more than a couple of bids coming out of Europe and very little of note from anyone in North America. If I thought the USOC was going to make a run at this one like they did the last time, that would be one thing. Clearly they're not, so unless something changes over the next 6 weeks, the 2020 Olympics will NOT be in the United States and probably not in North America.

I think a North American bid would be more viable this time around, compared to next time South America wins the right to host the games, because Paris is looking like a favourite to win 2024 (no way Durban beats Paris on its first try especially for the centennial games).

I think a North American bid would be more viable this time around, compared to next time South America wins the right to host the games, because Paris is looking like a favourite to win 2024 (no way Durban beats Paris on its first try especially for the centennial games).

If a European city wins 2020, then I would kiss Paris 2024 goodbye. No continent has hosted back to back Summer Games since 1952.

I think African sentiment will beat Paris' centennial argument. It doesn't seem like the IOC minds not voting for the French. Now if Durban entered the 2020 race, and won, then I would put Paris as a favorite for 2024.

Again, we're magicking Paris bids from thin air when there' little indication of one happening, let alone it being the unbeatable favourite. There is such a weird blind spot with regard to Paris on this forum.

Well, this Paris "centennial" thing is also being blown wayyy outta proportion by some of the people here, too.

It's not like the IOC votes profoundly on such nostalgic elements anyway. Again, lets just ask Athens how well that angle worked for them back in 1990 for the 1996 "Centennial" Olympic Games. Not to mention, the whole being the first city to host winter & summer games didn't seem to go through many of the minds of IOC members when they were voting for the 2018 Winter Games.

Even if Paris were to bid for 2024, they couldn't solely rely on the "centennial" aspect of it anyway, cuz that's not gonna work all the way for them. They'll need somethng else much more compelling to sway the voting members more than just that. I'd even venture to say that they would likely get more sympathy votes based on all the failed Paris bids (not to mention even Annecy now), than they would on the simple French "centennial" angle.

Agreed. If we learned anything from Cape Town, Durban and Paris in the past several months, let us not assume bids if we have no inside knowledge of what is going on in the decision making process.

I fully support Madrid's bid and I think they have a great chance of getting the Olympics. The past 2 bidding processes they have been in the top 3 despite a lot of people on here thinking they weren't going to do well initially. Never count out Madrid, and the economic situation is projected to improve a lot by 2020. Remember, any major spending on venues and infrastructure related to the bid wouldn't even start until 2013 if the bid wins then, which allows even more time for the economic situation to strengthen, which I think it will, despite the current scare with the italian debt contagion.

Vamos Madrid!

[/quote

Portugal vai apoiar Madrid/Espanha!! :P Vamos!!!

Is it just me, or now that we finally have both Roma and Madrid confirmed, is this race already starting to feel a bit juicier? I probably still lean in expectations and preference towards Rome, but, hmmm, I wouldn't be that surprised, or disappointed, if Madrid wins through.

Archived