Which cities will bid for 2020? Which city do you want to win? Which city will win?

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which cities will bid (you are allowed to pick six only)?

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)
    • another one (please specify)
  2. 2. Which city do you want to win (you are allowed to pick one only)??

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)
  3. 3. Which city will win (you are allowed to pick one only)?

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)

I, for one, don't want the U.S. to bid. And if the USOC wants to be so gullable & listen to IOC double speak, then let them be stupid enough to enter a bid. But let them do it with Los Angeles, please (or better yet, Tulsa! :lol: lmfao!). I don't want any other U.S. city to go through the nowhere, time, effort & money wasteful ringer again.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How will the economic conditions in the US affect a potential bid for 2020 or ANY bid?

It could be something Toronto can use it to our advantage. Canada's economy has been very strong through the past few years of economic crisis that isn't ending anytime soon. Problem is will Canadians want it bad enough so soon after Vancouver?

How will the economic conditions in the US affect a potential bid for 2020 or ANY bid?

It could be something Toronto can use it to our advantage. Canada's economy has been very strong through the past few years of economic crisis that isn't ending anytime soon. Problem is will Canadians want it bad enough so soon after Vancouver?

I think it would affect a U.S. bid, but it wouldn't totally kill it. Just take a look at Madrid. Prime example. The bid will officially be announced tomorrow and this country has a worse unemployment rate than the USA, almost triple the U.S. unemployment rate. I would not at all be surprised if Madrid cancels their bid if things get worse and they default on their debt.

Germany would be the safest bet from Europe in regards to economic standards. However, I believe they will stick with Munich and go again for 2022.

Bids

Rome,Italy

Istanbul,Turkey

Madrid,Spain

Toronto,Canada

Doha,Qatar

Baku,Azerbaijan

Delhi,India

Tokyo,Japan

Dubai,UAE

Shortlisted

Rome

Istanbul

Madrid

Toronto

Tokyo

Why doesn't someone create a real spicy poll, like: "Which city do you hope will lose their bid, if they bid?"

Or how about "Which city do you think is ludicrous?" "Get Real" or "Never in a million years"

There'll always be someone who thinks a Baku or a Tulsa actually have a chance.

Unless the private sector funds the to 2020 bid it ain't happening. The city is in a 3/4 of a billion dollars in debt and plans on cutting 15% of its policing (granted its the safest city in NA).

Which city are you talking about?

Well, let's "guess" over the confirmed and pendial approvals...

According to wikipedia.

Confirmed:

Rome - Strong bid, European capital, amazing country (but would it be too early after Torino 2006?).

Pending approvals:

Madrid - Strong bid as always, 3rd time factor, runners-up for 2016. Great chances about timing and continental rotation. If I'd bet money now, I'd bet for Madrid.

Tokyo - Great city, I'm not sure about timing, but of course, great bid.

Istambul - Amazing city, but has the same Rio appeal (emerging country, new frontier, hard to have it two in a row, and Africa is next frontier to be open, IMO)

I'm probably in the minority but I feel like Rome and Madrid's bids are so overrated in terms of winning. Lots of people are automatically declaring Rome the winner just because it's a big name city and are the first city to declare its candidacy.

Well, it's easy to be the front runner when no-one else has declared yet.

Anyway, even if it is joined by the anticipated competition, it's not like the rest are particularly strong. Tokyo is looking, pardon the expression, shaky after PCs win and the quake/tsunami, Doha would be a miracle if it garnered more than 10 or so votes, Istanbul is still a highly unknown quantity - their previous bids hardly set the IOC afire with desire. Paris is out, the US is out (sorry, but that's the reality, whether you still hold out hope or not) and Durban is, well, who know's what the situation there is in terms of even bidding, much less doing well after such a scrappy start to even organising whether to go or not.

Istambul - Amazing city, but has the same Rio appeal (emerging country, new frontier, hard to have it two in a row, and Africa is next frontier to be open, IMO)

I hope more than geography or new frontier slogans.

It's too boring.

Pyeongchang and Pro-Pyeongchang media said, "The first non-Japanese Asian" ? :D

There'll always be someone who thinks a Baku or a Tulsa actually have a chance.

Baku will have a chance, but not in 2020. I do expect at least a ranking in the 5 point range. 2024 seems like a better shot, since they would have their Olympic Stadium fully operational having hosted major events. 2020 is just proposing what is currently underway. They may have double or slightly more than what was proposed for 2016, but 2024 will have mostly everything in place.

Well, let's "guess" over the confirmed and pendial approvals...

According to wikipedia.

Confirmed:

Rome - Strong bid, European capital, amazing country (but would it be too early after Torino 2006?).

Pending approvals:

Madrid - Strong bid as always, 3rd time factor, runners-up for 2016. Great chances about timing and continental rotation. If I'd bet money now, I'd bet for Madrid.

Tokyo - Great city, I'm not sure about timing, but of course, great bid.

somehow agree somehow i dont...

rome, i think the same. too early after torino and the fear of economical collapse after greece..

madrid , wont be a strong bid this time, too many problems spanish face and economicaly i dont see they can charge an extra 20 b USD for 2020 and public support must be lower thn ever.

tokyo, the tsunami can be used as a charge for the olympics. ı wont be suprised if they get 2020,a high tech olympics .

Istanbul, new frontier ? officaly in europe. but cultural and being the first mostly muslim populated country can be named as new frontier which is a + for İstanbul.

toronto... i m not sure they will think 2020.. to early. ( and they are boring , we all saw vancouver :/ )

africa, i really like to see an african games. but this only SA pushing thing makes me bored. well not for 2020-2024.. but 2028 as i can guess..

To those who think what Madrid is doing is crazy, what Madrid is doing is trying not to waste all the money they spent for 2012 and 2016. Winning the bid would help the city and the country recover. Also, if Madrid was awarded the Games, new jobs would be created so the unemployment rate would decrease. Bidding alone won't cost that much this time, almost everything is ready and nothing new would be built unless the city is chosen to host. The economic situation is expected to start to grow during the second half this year, by 2020 Spain should have fully recovered. Anyway, I also expected public support to be quite low, but recent polls show that more than 70% of the population would back the bid. It's not the 90% we had for 2012, but it's still higher than other winning bids from other cities in the past.

The intentions of Madrid to bid will be officially announced today, the city council will vote on July 20th and it's expected it will be approved. Then, the Spanish Olympic Committee will approve the bid and send it to the IOC.

I hope more than geography or new frontier slogans.

It's too boring.

Pyeongchang and Pro-Pyeongchang media said, "The first non-Japanese Asian" ? :D

Be sure "Stir the soul" was much better slogan than "South America never hosted".

It's not a slogan competition. At all.

Economic crisis is a problem and a serious one.

But I can't say how much this will affect the race. And I think and hope it will not.

But if major European economies collapses and the rich world face a strong downturn, prepare GamesBidders to see Istanbul, Delhi or Durban (if SA really bid) hosting the 2020 games and some other emerging "unthinkable" city winning 2024.

To those who think what Madrid is doing is crazy, what Madrid is doing is trying not to waste all the money they spent for 2012 and 2016. Winning the bid would help the city and the country recover. Also, if Madrid was awarded the Games, new jobs would be created so the unemployment rate would decrease. Bidding alone won't cost that much this time, almost everything is ready and nothing new would be built unless the city is chosen to host. The economic situation is expected to start to grow during the second half this year, by 2020 Spain should have fully recovered. Anyway, I also expected public support to be quite low, but recent polls show that more than 70% of the population would back the bid. It's not the 90% we had for 2012, but it's still higher than other winning bids from other cities in the past.

The intentions of Madrid to bid will be officially announced today, the city council will vote on July 20th and it's expected it will be approved. Then, the Spanish Olympic Committee will approve the bid and send it to the IOC.

what u say is, spain wont make any investments to madrid cause already they existed. do u think IOC will like this? i dont think so. and its easier and less expensive to built new sport arenas and infrastructural investments thn to rebuilt and repair the older ones. dont u think so?

and 1992 to 2020 just 5 olmypics after again spain while never hosted ones waiting outside ?

what u think about it

I love the idea of Madrid hosting - but as I said in another in another thread the economics don't really support it at the momnet (not that this would stop them winning a bid!).

If Spain continues along their current path with such high unemployment and austerity measures how can they justify the expense of the games? This isn't about the money spent on past bids - that is gone. This is about how much would need to be spent to host the games in 2020 compared to how else them money could be spent.

Athan - you are correct, there would be some jobs created. However the games are a luxury that rarely provide real economic benefit. It is like spending lots of money on decorating a house when the house is falling into the ground.

Rather than spending 5 billion plus on the games they could invest in business, manufacturing, grants to business to support long-term job creation etc. It may not be sexy - but babies are made from sex not sexy. :lol:

what u say is, spain wont make any investments to madrid cause already they existed. do u think IOC will like this? i dont think so. and its easier and less expensive to built new sport arenas and infrastructural investments thn to rebuilt and repair the older ones. dont u think so?

I didn't say that. Of course investments will be made, but the bid won't cost as much as for 2012 or 2016. Madrid 2020 would use a lot of new venues, but these are already under construction or recently finished (like the aquatics centre, for example), so that money does not count as part of the 2020 bid, that's why bidding again would be cheaper.

As far as I know, the planned new venues that won't be built unless Madrid is awarded the Games are the ones for track cycling, gymnastics, hockey, volleyball, beach volleyball, shooting, canoe slalom and canoe sprint/rowing. Apart from that, the BMX track and a new basketball arena to be used by Real Madrid are to be built. Then, we have the venue for equestrian, the aquatics centre and the Olympic stadium with works required. So it's not that the Madrid 2020 Games would only use existing venues, the IOC can be happy that Madrid would also build a lot for them: the only existing venues proposed for 2016 with no works required are the Club de Campo (archery, modern pentathlon), the Madrid Arena (handball), the Palacio de Deportes (judo, taekwondo), the IFEMA exhibition centre (badminton, boxing, fencing, weightlifting, wrestling, table tennis), the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium (football) and the brand new Magic Box (tennis), as well as the Casa de Campo park for mountain bike and triathlon. So that makes 6 existing venues, 3 with works required and 10 to be built only in Madrid, then I don't know which cities would host the remaining football and sailing events, but it's likely they will also require works. I think it's still quite an investment with many new venues that the IOC could like.

and 1992 to 2020 just 5 olmypics after again spain while never hosted ones waiting outside ?

what u think about it

Between 1992 and 2020 there are 7 Olympiads, not 5 ;)

But anyway, I have already given my opinion about that. I can understand some people might see it as too soon for the Games to come back to Spain, but remember the city that hosted was not Madrid but Barcelona, so 2020 wouldn't be a copy of 1992. I admit I would be the first to say no to a bid from a city that has just hosted. For example, I wouldn't like Los Angeles or Sydney to bid for 2020, or Beijing to bid for 2036, but if the bids came from Chicago/NYC, Brisbane/Perth or Shanghai, why not? If they have a compelling project and are "better" (with all the subjectivity this involves) than their rivals, they can also host great Games. So these are more or less my thoughts about Madrid 2020 and Barcelona 1992.

BTW, the mayor of Madrid has just announced the city's intentions to bid. It is expected that the project will be approved by the city council next Wednesday.

Between 1992 and 2020 there are 7 Olympiads, not 5 ;)

But anyway, I have already given my opinion about that. I can understand some people might see it as too soon for the Games to come back to Spain, but remember the city that hosted was not Madrid but Barcelona, so 2020 wouldn't be a copy of 1992. I admit I would be the first to say no to a bid from a city that has just hosted. For example, I wouldn't like Los Angeles or Sydney to bid for 2020, or Beijing to bid for 2036, but if the bids came from Chicago/NYC, Brisbane/Perth or Shanghai, why not? If they have a compelling project and are "better" (with all the subjectivity this involves) than their rivals, they can also host great Games. So these are more or less my thoughts about Madrid 2020 and Barcelona 1992.

BTW, the mayor of Madrid has just announced the city's intentions to bid. It is expected that the project will be approved by the city council next Wednesday.

i was making tukish coffee so cant calculate it :P

well for me a country already had olympics before must wait at least 10 games to bid again. if turns into madrid 2020 chicago 2024 melbourne 2028 paris 2032 shangai 2036 its out of olympism. so just the hosted countries race at the games not the others and turn it into a private club...? i dont like this... the more new ones added to list the more olympics get meaningfull

Archived