Which cities will bid for 2020? Which city do you want to win? Which city will win?

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which cities will bid (you are allowed to pick six only)?

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)
    • another one (please specify)
  2. 2. Which city do you want to win (you are allowed to pick one only)??

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)
  3. 3. Which city will win (you are allowed to pick one only)?

• Baku (Azerbaijan)
    • Doha (Qatar)
    • Durban (South Africa)
    • Istanbul (Turkey)
    • Madrid (Spain)
    • Melbourne (Australia)
    • New Dehli (India)
    • Rome (Italy)
    • Tokyo (Japan)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Washington (USA)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm against Toronto, 10 years after the winter olympics is to soon for me. I'm for Rome all the way! But if South Africa bids i'm pretty sure they'll get it.

:blink: That is 14 years after the Winter Olympics!

oh yeah... And you had Alanta, Salt Lake 6 years apart but Canada wasn't all that great. I prefer them in the winter olympics than the summer.

I'm against Toronto, 10 years after the winter olympics is to soon for me. I'm for Rome all the way! But if South Africa bids i'm pretty sure they'll get it.

Pot calling the Kettle much?

Like I said in the other thread. These bids are insane especially Madrid & Rome.

Istanbul makes the most sense and could win it all this time.

I can see Toronto bidding as well. Economically safe and dependable country.

Torino 2006

Roma 2020

= 14 years - too soon for me...

Atlanta, Salt Lake City were 6 years apart. I disqualify that comment cause I wasn't thinking straight when I wrote that.

Pot calling the Kettle much?

Like I said in the other thread. These bids are insane especially Madrid & Rome.

Istanbul makes the most sense and could win it all this time.

I can see Toronto bidding as well. Economically safe and dependable country.

Istanbul stands no chance against an African bid. Nobody does actually, but they do have a good chance at getting it.

Istanbul stands no chance against an African bid. Nobody does actually, but they do have a good chance at getting it.

:blink:

I'm sorry but your contradicting yourself here.

You said Istanbul has no chance but then you say they have a good chance at getting it?

I'm not afraid of any possible African bid. It's all hype. A South African bid won't win right after Rio hosting. No way Sam!

:blink:

I'm sorry but your contradicting yourself here.

You said Istanbul has no chance but then you say they have a good chance at getting it?

I'm not afraid of any possible African bid. It's all hype. A South African bid won't win right after Rio hosting. No way Sam!

Sorry, I trype to fast and I forget to put things in there that would make sense.

So here let me try this again.

" Istanbul stands no chance against an Afircan bid. Nobody does actually, But IF SOUTH AFRICA DOESN'T BID they have good chance at getting it." That's what I ment to say.

Yeah an African bid is all hype. The IOC is on there knees begging them to bid!

I just wanted to use an US city which hasn't bid so far - to get a better start for a discussion about an US bid

I hope the next American summer bid is with New York City. I still think its far fetched to believe they will bid for 2020, it will be such a last minute bid but still possible.

However, I'd love to see an American bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Roma it's too soon after Torino 2006...

Istanbul it's too soon after Sotchi, Rio, Pyeongchang (4 new horizon? too much)

Tokyo with PC 2018, it's risky but maybe

Durban it's too soon (first shoot), maybe 2024...

Doha after FIFA it's too soon...

Madrid 3 time lucky? Maybe, but with financial crisis in Spain maybe Madrid won't bid...

Toronto it's too soon after Vancouver...

USA bid maybe, but Rio is already in America...

Usa, Japan or Germany (if they bid) could be the host to 2020 SoG

Didn't USOC said they won't bid for 2020?

I think Durban have great chances and it's my pick, but, heartfellings apart, I think it's time for USA or Europe to host again. It's time to get back to the bank.

Based on last hosts we have seen a kind of rotation between emerging/new and Europe/USA.

Anyway, let the fight begin! smile.gif

It would be a first. Two new horizons in a row.

Well, if IOC is really interested in new markets and some good publicity about the games going to Africa (FIFA used it a lot and got good results from media), I would not put any South African bid without chances.

I want Instanbul to win but think Durban will win (if they bid!)

If Durban don't bid then Istanbul it is (as they haven't hosted before!)

Australia only hosted 10 years ago, give it another 10-20 years and then either Brisbane or Melbourne can bid again!

I have a feeling the 2020 race is going to be boring.

France, already say the won't bid. Russia, South Korea & UK neither for obvious reasons, i think China won't be eitheir.

US is uncertain and if the realistic bidding cities (i mean not Yerevan or La Havana) aren't a lot to bid i can see them to sit out just to annoy IOC and make them remember they depend on USA too and make a lof of money with them.

Canada may bid but can they really win a vote 3 years after Vancouver's games.Especially when the games weren't unanimously praised ?

SA would be a good & historic but the government is against it and how far can you go with a olympic bid without government's support?

Japan isn't help with the nuclear crisis and PC 2018 but it can still happen.

Does Madrid can really hope for the games to go their way when they have so much trouble right now and are likely to pass some austerity plans for their economy? Wouldn't that be strange to award a 10 billions costing events to a country who is desperately trying to save some money?

Rome may look like a safe option but their economy isn't looking good either.

Germany has a decent shot, they should go for it, Istanbul too.

And if i were the mayor of Oslo, Copenhague, Stockholm or Wien and dreamed about olympics in my city, i would definitely go for it in 2020, as you are extremely, extremely uncertain to find again a bidding olympics where China, France, UK, Russia, & Maybe US aren't bidding and where Asia & South America are unlikely to win.

When Europe has a very big shot at winning the bid and half of the possible host aren't bidding or are in financial crisis i can see a 'smaller' city like Stockholm a possibility.

But still i got a feeling i'm going to wake in september with Berlin, Madrid, Rome, Baku and Doha which wouldn't be a that much of a bad race, but if the financial crisis worsens it's going to be Berlin all the way i think.

I find no point voting on this now, it's not accurate. Anyways, I've been waiting for a winning US bid, I wasnt in this world yet when atlanta was awarded lol Rome sounds exciting, Madrid I grew tired of it but I get the vibe of a very Happy bid, NYC CHI nd LA is a big question mark for me (?) isn't time for a new American bid? I think these cities say "we deserve to win bc we're america" nd very compact with skyscrapers with busy ppl, no charm. maybe they should go for a 2nd tier city? Idk but I'd love to see something new nd unexpected

It has really been interesting following the 2020 cycle. The landscape has certainly changes as I know for me as soon as I saw the short list for the 2016 most people felt for certain that 2020 was definitely going to South Africa. Having said that look how much has changed in 3 years.

Now for 2020

I think the US will bid

I think the US will win

and I want them too.

It is the most perfect time for a US bid

Factors leading to my decision.

1) Any where but Europe South America or Asia and Australia was 11 years ago. Since the start of the 2000s and by 2020 there would have already been 2 european summer games 2 european winter games (as the IOC seems to count Russia apart of Europe more so than Asia) asia would have had a summer and winter more recently with South Korea getting 2018 which definitely knocks Tokyo out of the running for 2020 and obviously South america is gone due to Rio. The IOC is not trying to head to Rome or Madrid.

2) South Africa is not going to bid!!!! it is a dream yes but not for now.

3)Australia to me is the only strong opposition to a US bid or should I say North American Bid (To include Toronto, Though they get knocked out by Vancouver) However, if we are to be real South africa will bid for 2024 and will most likely get it as the final frontier. Which opens the 2028 games back to Europe, Asia, and Australia there will be too many open claims to the games for the US to have as clear of a shot as they do now.

I'm not inside South African affairs, but why would they not bid?

For me, about timing 2020 and 2024 are just perfect for them.

Recently they hosted very well an World Cup, they are now part of BRICS (and this block is economically stronger than never was) and there is a strong sentiment on bringing the games to Africa.

Again, I'm not inside South Africa problems, but, IMHO, unless they have money problems, they must bid. Even for get a loss now and learn how to make a nice and stronger bid for 2024.

About cities outside the CHI-LA-NY axis, I would love to see Miami hosting. But just after Rio (palm trees, beachess and latins), Miami is not a smart choice for USOC.

Again, didn't USOC said they would not bid for 2020? Someone remembers that?

Again, didn't USOC said they would not bid for 2020? Someone remembers that?

Oh Danny - the US, South Africa and France have all said their not going to bid. And yet there's still more discussion of their bid chances here on GB than any other potential bidders. Some people just find it hard to give up any hope.

Now for 2020

I think the US will bid

I think the US will win

and I want them too.

It is the most perfect time for a US bid

Factors leading to my decision.

And who is this winning bid in the United States going to come from? I can assure you it won't be New York. Doesn't sound like Chicago wants to go through it again. Someone has to convince the USOC to run with them. They're not going to bid just for the sake of bidding.

Remember also as has been brought up many times here before.. a lot of IOC members consider the Americas to be 1 continent, so continental rotation isn't really working in North America's favor.

Archived