Impact of the Financial Crisis on Olympic bids

Then I award 2020 to Istanbul!!

Similarly, Sweden or Santiago or perhaps Queenstown would present a far more original opening ceremony than Reno, USA; since they too have never hosted the Winter Games. :D

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similarly, Sweden or Santiago or perhaps Queenstown would present a far more original opening ceremony than Reno, USA; since they too have never hosted the Winter Games.

Well, neither has Reno. :D Duh! U r NOT so funny.

Actually, Sweden has hosted 2 Olympics already. :P

after this new economical turmoil, i really dont expect Spain and Italy will named as Safe countries rather thn another new frontier . they already fall on their knees and waiting for a last kick to knock out.

It's been said many times that the IOC won't return to the U.S. (some specify Los Angeles) until they need money. It seems to me that they could need money sooner rather than later. They may scrape by with 2020, but they'll be looking for American Olympics soon after. The USOC needs to recognize their power in the situation. If the US wants Summer Games they should go for them.

Athens, what kind of compelling bid could Los Angeles make? Would Los Angeles be willing to go for a compelling project, ala London (or something similiar in another area)? Is there even any talk of such a plan?

Or is it still more along the lines of using existing infrastructure & just getting by on what they already have? If it's still just the latter, I don't see even Los Angeles having a shot (especially after hosting twice already), unless the IOC has a completely dire circumstance where they are forced to settle for Los Angeles once again, & not just when they need money.

I gotta believe LA will be the next summer host in the US. The NYC bid only worked in a small window of stadium-building opportunity, and that is closed. The world doesn't seem to like Chicago. And while it may be fun to imagine the Olympics in Tulsa or MSP, a smaller city probably isn't happening.

LA in many ways is a perfect Olympic city. The weather is ideal. They have great facilities and infrastructure. They are viewed as an attractive alpha-city by the rest of the world. Their previous games were both well run.

The 3-peat doesn't seem to be detriment - London was given their third games and Paris came darn close. Having hosted as recently as 1984 is bigger deal.

99.9999% of the people here don't "imagine" that an Olympics in Tulsa or Minneapolis would be "fun". On the contrary, it's complete lunacy. Especially in Tulsa's case. It ain't ever happening.

And it wasn't that the world "doesn't seem" to like Chicago but moreso that the IOC doesn't like the USOC at the moment. Total misconception to say the former & not comprehending on what's really at stake here.

The only way I see Los Angeles having a decent shot is with a compelling bid. Anything less than that, the IOC is just going to turn the other cheek. Regardless of how "attractive" an Alpha-city it is viewed by the rest of the world. The IOC's already "been there, done that", twice already.

It's been said many times that the IOC won't return to the U.S. (some specify Los Angeles) until they need money. It seems to me that they could need money sooner rather than later. They may scrape by with 2020, but they'll be looking for American Olympics soon after. The USOC needs to recognize their power in the situation. If the US wants Summer Games they should go for them.

We don't know for certain that far out, but I agree, a clear focus on hosting summer before winter could be a good payout, but of course it has it's risks. But where there is no risk, there is no reward I guess.

I don't think I would be supportive of putting in a US city in 2024 against Durban though. Maybe just throw in LA for a back-up in case Durban's bid implodes for some reason, but I would hate to see Chicago or NYC, or some other US city put themselves through the ringer when another bid was "destined" to host.

after this new economical turmoil, i really dont expect Spain and Italy will named as Safe countries rather thn another new frontier . they already fall on their knees and waiting for a last kick to knock out.

Emre, I could say, Istanbul never have too many chances like now.

Still, tough race.

Emre, I could say, Istanbul never have too many chances like now.

Still, tough race.

i dont mean its an advantage for turkey... but the stabile country meaning changed for these 2 years. no one can say spain or italy or even usa is a money guaranteed country anymore, altough developing ones are more secured places for these giant org.

but yes when west collapse east rises.. its the routine of the world :D the prob. we are still not officaly candidate :S

i dont mean its an advantage for turkey... but the stabile country meaning changed for these 2 years. no one can say spain or italy or even usa is a money guaranteed country anymore, altough developing ones are more secured places for these giant org.

but yes when west collapse east rises.. its the routine of the world :D the prob. we are still not officaly candidate :S

And now you are east? I thought you were trying to join the west... This strait in the middle of Turkey is pretty convenient for you guys... :D

About emerging countries, it`ll be amazing to see the biggest-spot ever for a bid from emerging world and no emerging country bidding.:blink:

east of the west... west of the east we are ;) meetpoint and middle point :/

do u know that we have a milestone in istanbul that shows istanbul as 0 and show & direction of other cities in the world from the byzantine time ...:D

and that emerging bid point.. we are a bit busy inside .. need to handle them first then we declare our candidacy i think... well we dont have any commander in our army now they all quit :D heheh

east of the west... west of the east we are ;) meetpoint and middle point :/

do u know that we have a milestone in istanbul that shows istanbul as 0 and show & direction of other cities in the world from the byzantine time ...:D

and that emerging bid point.. we are a bit busy inside .. need to handle them first then we declare our candidacy i think... well we dont have any commander in our army now they all quit :D heheh

Please, post the pic of the milestone. It must be very insteresting place and curious to see which cities are shown on it.

Please, post the pic of the milestone. It must be very insteresting place and curious to see which cities are shown on it.

u will be dissapoint when u see it.. just a huge marbel with carvings on about 1700 years old

It survived intact until at least the late 15th century and fragments of it were discovered again at 1960s.

220px-Milion_2007.jpg

Million1_2007.jpg

Yeah, bit disappointed with the pic...

But still, interesting they already have it in that age. :)

turks are funny especially in istanbul.. once i went to a church and saw a collumn most probably very old and ancient used as ashtray :D

• 2 weeks later...

Given the fact that a double dip recession is all but imminent for the U.S. and the fact that some economists are predicting the downturn could last well into the decade I do have to wonder whether or a prolonged economic slowdown will drastically reduce the number of bidders for future Olympics especially since there were only three bidders for 2018 and only four currently for 2020.

Given the fact that a double dip recession is all but imminent for the U.S. and the fact that some economists are predicting the downturn could last well into the decade I do have to wonder whether or a prolonged economic slowdown will drastically reduce the number of bidders for future Olympics especially since there were only three bidders for 2018 and only four currently for 2020.

The emerging world could afford the Olympic at this very moment. The problem is Brazil and Russia are expecting to host soon. China just did 2008 and India seems to be lost without a map in the Olympics world...

South Africa, the newest member of BRICS, is, maybe, wasting the greatest opportunity ever to bid... I'm not inside why they are not bidding, but I think this is the perfect time for a South African olympics bid. Anyway, it's up to South African taxpayers to decide, not me.

And more, if the crisis gets worse, be sure, Istanbul will win 2020 by huge landslide.

Dannyel you are speaking from a very long time ago about the emerging economies the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa)

But I read somewhere about the T-BRICS, They are including Turkey in this category. The Turkish economy is very strong and stable. In fact evoluating fast. Last year the first two quartals Turkey grow with 11% the second two quartals by 9%. China and Turkey were the only two countries growing with 10% in this years first 2 quartals.

The one and only thing is now the BIDBOOK. The Turkish PM gave the order to make a totally new and a bid. I hope that this time the Isanbul Bidbook will suprpise us in a very high level. fingers crossed. But if not .. then it will be the same 'sing-along-song' (what won't happen)

regards

fatih

Dannyel you are speaking from a very long time ago about the emerging economies the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa)

But I read somewhere about the T-BRICS, They are including Turkey in this category. The Turkish economy is very strong and stable. In fact evoluating fast. Last year the first two quartals Turkey grow with 11% the second two quartals by 9%. China and Turkey were the only two countries growing with 10% in this years first 2 quartals.

The one and only thing is now the BIDBOOK. The Turkish PM gave the order to make a totally new and a bid. I hope that this time the Isanbul Bidbook will suprpise us in a very high level. fingers crossed. But if not .. then it will be the same 'sing-along-song' (what won't happen)

regards

fatih

fatih, the economist named many groups and add new letters to bric to maintain new ones like brics ,brimcs etc.

the real 4 biggest emerging markets are as u know bric ones ( brazil russia india and china) South Africa, at a population of under 50 million people, was just too small an economy to join the BRIC ranks. African credentials are important geopolitically, giving BRICS a four-continent breadth, influence and trade opportunities thts all..

on the other hand Turkey is in the Next-11.The Next Eleven (or N-11) are eleven countries—Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Turkey, and Vietnam—identified by Goldman Sachs investment bank as having a high potential of becoming, along with the BRICS, the world's largest economies in the 21st century.

turkey is also still a small country comparing with brics (land and population). mexico or ındonesia is stronger to be in tht group

Archived