Impact of the Financial Crisis on Olympic bids

need to check the statistics but its also hard to compare each other due to time zones. beijing was the most watched event in the world as i know followng by USA football/baseball ,i dont remember which one is that, final. right?

ah ok i found it and about second place i was wrong

1-beijing 2008 opening ceremony

2- 2006 fifa world cup final,

3 - walk on the surface of the moon

not even fifa 2010 athens 2004 or dallas series final but these 3.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Respectfully, I must insist that Rio was by far the riskiest choice of the 2016 candidates at the time of the vote. That doesn't mean they won't stage excellent Games, but the US, Spain and Tokyo were tried and true alternatives. Even the word "emerging" implies an element of risk.

We have a global economy. How can you possibly hold the US responsible for all Europe's problems? Also I'm not talking about the US "in this very moment" -- as you say. If you read my post, I talk about FUTURE Games -- meaning after 2020. I also clearly described two scenarios -- one where the less conventional choice of hosts pays off financially and organizationally and one scenario where it doesn't. I clearly said that either the IOC will start looking for safety or it will keep pushing the envelope. It depends what happens.

Respectfully, I understand your point if you are talking about the fact Brazil was the only between the final-four to have not hosted Olympic before. Although, I don't consider this a risk itself. If it was a problem, we should have no new bidders.

I don't think "emerging" is a word of risk, otherwise, usually emerging and growing countries are even more stronger meanwhile they are rising than when they`re steady. Biggest example of this: United States of America. Now USA is the steady only superpower of the world and each day get less respect compared to the 20th Century days.

Anyway, respectfully I can understand your POV and also show mine: you will get surprise since some axes of the world are changing, indeed, for a more and very complex multipolar scenario, where, no doubts, the actual rich countries will be part (but not the whole) of the relevant world. :)

I have to agree on the fact I'm not that enthuasiastic with the games in London...

I'm sure London will host fantastic games, but, somehow, I'm tired of seeing things from England and Europe everyday on my life...

Athens, for sure was great games as for Beijing, since they have lots of new things to show.

The same for the World Cup in Germany and in South Africa. Which one global audience got more excited? I think I don't need to answer.

Respectfully, I understand your point if you are talking about the fact Brazil was the only between the final-four to have not hosted Olympic before. Although, I don't consider this a risk itself. If it was a problem, we should have no new bidders.

I don't think "emerging" is a word of risk, otherwise, usually emerging and growing countries are even more stronger meanwhile they are rising than when they`re steady. Biggest example of this: United States of America. Now USA is the steady only superpower of the world and each day get less respect compared to the 20th Century days.

people thnk about emerging markets are like 3rd world countries :) even tough the treasure of these 7 emerging ones doubles the d7 ones they dont see tht. mexico and korea opens the door, china showed that what it means and brazil finally confirmed that there is no difference between these 2 groups altough the e7 is kind a stronger than the d8 in many terms...

many asked me if we ride camels on streets and how difficult to live in desert and if we really have flying carpets :) so get use to it danny, people think what ever they wanna think about. the truth is on the schedule

2008 beijing

2010 vancouver

2012 london

2014 sochi

2016 rio

2018 p.c ( hard to write :S)

2020 most probably Istanbul

and no one please take it personal... but this developing country new developed one new frontier is a bit sucks... we are one planet and we breath the same air and drink the same water. no need to categorize people and cultures just if they earn more or less... but bankrupt is else for sure :D

I don't think of "emerging" countries as third world countries -- although many of them do have significant percentages of the population that live in third world conditions. The word "emerging" contrasts a country to those that have already "emerged."

"Emerging" certainly does not mean "irrelevant." I am surprised that some people thought I was suggesting that.

As for Rio being the riskiest option, it was the most expensive bid, had the least experience hosting major sporting events, the longest travel times between venues, fewest hotel rooms, for the first time ever won't have the cauldron or ceremonies in the athletics stadium, the greatest poverty and the highest crime rate when compared to Spain, the United States and Japan. That doesn't make Rio a bad option. I expect Rio's Games will be outstanding. Still, I think it's indisputable that they offered the riskiest bid.

I don't think of "emerging" countries as third world countries -- although many of them do have significant percentages of the population that live in third world conditions. The word "emerging" contrasts a country to those that have already "emerged."

"Emerging" certainly does not mean "irrelevant." I am surprised that some people thought I was suggesting that.

As for Rio being the riskiest option, it was the most expensive bid, had the least experience hosting major sporting events, the longest travel times between venues, fewest hotel rooms, for the first time ever won't have the cauldron or ceremonies in the athletics stadium, the greatest poverty and the highest crime rate when compared to Spain, the United States and Japan. That doesn't make Rio a bad option. I expect Rio's Games will be outstanding. Still, I think it's indisputable that they offered the riskiest bid.

well im happy to hear tht. once we have a visitor from USA and take him from the ataturk airport. while passing the bosphorus bridge my sister said " welcome to asia" and guess what he says? use all your imagination answering this..

with a very serious face the point the anatolian castle ( anadoluhisarı) and says aaaaah ok sothis is chinese great wall and there china...

:D

and this guy working as a dr. in very known university...

hope u understand what im talking about :D

well im happy to hear tht. once we have a visitor from USA and take him from the ataturk airport. while passing the bosphorus bridge my sister said " welcome to asia" and guess what he says? use all your imagination answering this..

with a very serious face the point the anatolian castle ( anadoluhisarı) and says aaaaah ok sothis is chinese great wall and there china...

:D

and this guy working as a dr. in very known university...

hope u understand what im talking about :D

Ugh. I'm sorry to hear that. How embarrassing.... Not all Americans are that ignorant, but I'm sorry there are so many who are.

Ugh. I'm sorry to hear that. How embarrassing.... Not all Americans are that ignorant, but I'm sorry there are so many who are.

well it as funny :D at least for me ..:) showing a marble ottoman palace and say this is tacmahal, the northern forests this is russian siberia.. and we r living somewhere close to japan :)

many there are. and just see their own cities and know just 3 or 4 countries. the other 200 are just st like moon for them. thts way to teach or make people learn other cultures new sites cities countries must welcome in these huge worldwide events.

well it as funny :D at least for me ..:) showing a marble ottoman palace and say this is tacmahal, the northern forests this is russian siberia.. and we r living somewhere close to japan :)

many there are. and just see their own cities and know just 3 or 4 countries. the other 200 are just st like moon for them. thts way to teach or make people learn other cultures new sites cities countries must welcome in these huge worldwide events.

He was NOT talking in a literal way. I am sure it was meant tongue-in-cheek, and perhaps you misunderstood the context of his remarks? He couldn't have a DR degree and be that ignorant.

Many (indeed here in GB already said) thinks we chase monkeys at streets here in Brazil or that we speak Spanish or some "arabic dialet" (I heard this once in US).

Few years ago in an international online chat somebody asked me how could I connect internet in Brazil - the 4th biggest internet country in the planet (!!!) - Guess the nationality of the guy?

the greatest poverty and the highest crime rate when compared to Spain, the United States and Japan.

Look, you are so not well-informed... Brazil has 55% of its population in middle class and 22% are rich (some even more rich than European riches, that's why our Gini sucks)...

Still, 23% are poor people, but only 4% are under misery line... So, "great poverty" really does not fit the Brazilian reality of the 2010s... Maybe in the 80s, 70s...

Yeah, we are "poorer" than Spain, Japan and USA, but to be poor is not a risk for building venues, specially being the 6th biggest economy of the world. You are messing balls.

smile.gif

Many (indeed here in GB already said) thinks we chase monkeys at streets here in Brazil or that we speak Spanish or some "arabic dialet" (I heard this once in US).

Few years ago in an international online chat somebody asked me how could I connect internet in Brazil - the 4th biggest internet country in the planet (!!!) - Guess the nationality of the guy?

Look, you are so not well-informed... Brazil has 55% of its population in middle class and 22% are rich (some even more rich than European riches, that's why our Gini sucks)...

Still, 23% are poor people, but only 4% are under misery line... So, "great poverty" really does not fit the Brazilian reality of the 2010s... Maybe in the 80s, 70s...

Yeah, we are "poorer" than Spain, Japan and USA, but to be poor is not a risk for building venues, specially being the 6th biggest economy of the world. You are messing balls.

smile.gif

I'm not concerned about Rio building venues.

I said that of the four nations bidding for 2016, Brazil had the greatest poverty. I didn't say "great" -- just the greatest of the four -- which is factually true.

I'm not concerned about Rio building venues.

I said that of the four nations bidding for 2016, Brazil had the greatest poverty. I didn't say "great" -- just the greatest of the four -- which is factually true.

But what the "greatest" poor between the four is related to host the Olympics?

I can't undestand this point. Is some kind of sin to have poor people around?

It was the most expensive bid - Since there is money to pay the buildings, this is really not a risk (unless you are an European country in trouble, like, let me say, Spain)

had the least experience hosting major sporting events - Compared to the four, I agree, but still have experience, PanAms are the second biggest multi-sports even in the planet. Rio did it well. And what was the experience of China before 2008? Or Greece before 2004?

the longest travel times between venues - Have you heard about Atlanta, where bus drivers got lost due travel distances? The sailing was played 250 Km away from the city!

fewest hotel rooms - Not anymore

for the first time ever won't have the cauldron or ceremonies in the athletics stadium - Due Brazilian sentimentalism over Maracana and IOC ALLOWANCE to do so, and higly approved by IAAF.

the greatest poverty and the highest crime rate when compared to Spain, the United States and Japan - Crime rate is really a issue over Rio, I agree totally. But is poverty a problem to host events? How can be?

But what the "greatest" poor between the four is related to host the Olympics?

I can't undestand this point. Is some kind of sin to have poor people around?

No it's not a sin, but it is evident that the government is still working on finding a solution to fundamental social issues that are much less of a problem for more established countries. Typically there are a great many other challenges that accompany poverty (such as crime) which could potentially create problems for an Olympics.

I expect Rio to address these points, but the fact remains that they are issues for Rio and they aren't issues of comparable magnitude for Madrid, Chicago or Tokyo.

There's no need to be defensive. I'm sure Rio will do a great job. Still, I think there's plenty of evidence to support the idea that Rio was the riskiest choice of the four.

No, really, I'm trying to understand your points, since you're one of the few here we can chat without reading some "aggresive" coments.

It's not a matter of riskiest. In my POV. It's a matter on who can put the things together better to host the games. It's pretty the opposite.

It's like the "half-empty glass of water" thing.

I judge the bids by checking if the bid have half-full glass, not half-empty. :)

He was NOT talking in a literal way. I am sure it was meant tongue-in-cheek, and perhaps you misunderstood the context of his remarks? He couldn't have a DR degree and be that ignorant.

:)wish i misunderstand him and he was joking. a whole week was like tht

Danny, it sounds like you won't be satisfied unless I say that Rio will be the best Olympic host ever and is far more qualified to host than any other city in the history of the Olympic Movement.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm not going to say that. Rio isn't perfect. The bid wasn't perfect. The Games won't be perfect. No Games are.

Danny, it sounds like you won't be satisfied unless I say that Rio will be the best Olympic host ever and is far more qualified to host than any other city in the history of the Olympic Movement.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm not going to say that. Rio isn't perfect. The bid wasn't perfect. The Games won't be perfect. No Games are.

blink.gif What????

First, I'm not expecting perfect games in Rio. You're right no games are perfect, also no bid too. But I do believe in memorable games in Rio as Athens was for you (and me).

Secondly, I'm really not waiting gentle speech from GB Forums users, specially about Rio, specially from someboby from USA.

Finally, I really wanted to chat and see your opinions and share mine, since this is a forum. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Perhaps I misunderstood you. It seemed like you took offense any time I mentioned that Rio has it's share of weaknesses (as ANY city does).

I hope Rio succeeds brilliantly and I think they probably will. I'm just saying that Rio wasn't head and shoulders above the competition on the basis of technical merit. I think that's a fair point.

Anyway, let's try to get back to the topic at hand regarding the economy's impact on the Games...

• 2 months later...
Japan economy rebounds from post-quake slump

TOKYO — Japan's economy rebounded in July-September as efforts to restore supply chains and recover lost output in the wake of the March disasters helped the economy post its first expansion in four quarters.

Japan's first growth since the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis came as automakers and other industries boosted output to meet pent-up demand, but analysts warned that a strong yen and global economic slowdown would weigh on any recovery.

The world's third-biggest economy grew by an annualised 6.0 percent in the July-September quarter, preliminary data showed Monday, the fastest pace since January-March 2010. The result was largely in line with market expectations.

Recent flooding in Thailand has complicated the outlook for Japanese firms from Sony to Toyota, forcing plant closures that have affected global production and prompting many to withdraw their full-year earnings forecasts.

AFP

• 4 weeks later...

well well Turkish economy grows 8,2 at the third quarter of 2011, for now yearly 9,6 ... B)

with these growing rate by 2015 Turkey will pass spain by PPP and at 2020 Italy naming the 4 th largest economy in europe and 11th in the world...

by the way

Turkey ; 1st:12 - 2nd . 8,8 and 3rd : 8,2 %

spain ; 1st :0,2 - 2nd : 0,2 and 3 rd : 0 %

Italy ; 1st :0,1 - 2nd : 0.3 and 3 rd: ? %

Japan ; cant find ...

and

Brazil; 1st : 1,3 - 2nd :0,8 and 3 rd : 0 %

China 1st : 9,7 - 2nd : 9.1 and 3rd: 9,5 %

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Let's check the real economical figures that will be study by IOC to analyze the 6 cities !!!!

IOC is using COFACE to make its analysis...

Following those figures, Italy is not the only one we should worry about it, but Spain & Turkey are on the same level... the worst is Azerbaijan !!!

And by the way, if we consider S&P or Moodys ratings, Turkey & Azerbaijan are worst than Italy....

So some details...

The Coface Country Risk Rating reflects the average level of short-term non-payment risk associated with companies in a particular country. It reflects the extent to which a country's economic, financial and political outlook influences companies’ financial commitments. Coface ranks country ratings on seven risk levels (A1, A2, A3, A4, B, C and D) in the order of increasing risk.

Seven categories of risk are combined in order to determine an overall rating for each of the countries:

- Growth vulnerability

- Foreign currency liquidity crisis

- External over-indebtedness

- Sovereign financial vulnerability

- Banking sector's fragilities

- Geopolitical and governance vulnerabilities

- Companies’ payment behavior.

A1 = The political and economic situation is very good. A quality business environment has a positive influence on corporate payment behavior. Corporate default probability is very low on average.

A2 = The political and economic situation is good. A basically stable and efficient business environment nonetheless leaves room for improvement. Corporate default probability is low on average.

A3 = Changes in generally good but somewhat volatile political and economic environment can affect corporate payment behavior. A basically secure business environment can nonetheless give rise to occasional difficulties for companies. Corporate default probability is quite acceptable on average.

A4 = A somewhat shaky political and economic outlook and a relatively volatile business environment can affect corporate payment behavior. Corporate default probability is still acceptable on average.

B = Political and economic uncertainties and an occasionally difficult business environment can affect corporate payment behavior. Corporate default probability is appreciable.

C = A very uncertain political and economic outlook and a business environment with many troublesome weaknesses can have a significant impact on corporate payment behavior. Corporate default probability is high.

D = A high-risk political and economic situation and an often very difficult business environment can have a very significant impact on corporate payment behavior. Corporate default probability is very high.

The respective Coface Country Risk Ratings for 2020 are (as in January 2012) :

Japan = A1

Qatar = A2

Italy = A4

Spain = A4

Turkey = A4

Azerbaijan = C

Per memory & to compare : USA, Germany & France are A2 when UK is A3

And a look on S&P & Moodays : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_credit_rating

The S&P rating… (as of today)

Qatar = AA

Japan = AA-