Commonwealth Games Sri Lanka seeks merit vote

gamesSL

C’wealth Games: SL seeks merit vote

The committee-in-charge of the bidding for the 2018 Commonwealth Games to be held in Hambantota said yesterday, Sri Lanka did not want a sympathy vote instead was competing with others on the merits of its bid.

Australian media had claimed that many developing nations might vote for Sri Lanka based on political reasons. However Hambantota bidding committee Chief Executive Officer Nalin Attygala told Daily Mirror that such statements were unfounded.

“None of the developing countries must underestimate our ability to make the necessary preparations for the Commonwealth Games. Sri Lanka is not seeking for sympathy votes, instead the votes we receive will be based on merit,” he said.

Australia’s news agency Border Mail also quoted Gold Coast 2018 Bid Chief Executive Officer Mark Peters as saying that after the difficulties in New Delhi, Hambantota was a risk.

“We never benchmarked ourselves with New Delhi, but from the beginning said we are looking at the Malaysia Kula Lumpur Games. We considered the economic development that Malaysia achieved during the 1990’s and the state of its economy prior to the games,” Mr. Attygala said. “We didn’t compare ourselves with our neighbor because India is too big, but it is surprising that Australia is running down another voting country such as India.”

He said Sri Lanka looked at the Gold Coast as a legitimate competitor and would not resort to undermining its efforts.

Mr. Attygala said by 2016 Hambantota would be turned into a state-of-the art facility.

“By 2016 we will prove that we are well equipped to host the 2018 Games. Additionally we will have the unique advantage of having 15 of the 17 sports within a single complex,” he said.

03.jpg

Daily Mirror

At this point majority of Africa and all of Oceania have proposed to vote for Australia (around 28 votes) (-5 that I assume will vote for SL)

The Caribbean (see To2015) /Canada/British Isles/Europe usually vote for Australia (31 votes)

7 votes from Asia + 5 from Afirca for Sl - 12

So possibly a blowout of 59-12

At this point majority of Africa and all of Oceania have proposed to vote for Australia (around 28 votes) (-5 that I assume will vote for SL)

The Caribbean (see To2015) /Canada/British Isles/Europe usually vote for Australia (31 votes)

7 votes from Asia + 5 from Afirca for Sl - 12

So possibly a blowout of 59-12

:mellow: Is this a confirmed report?

I can remember the 2012 Bid and speculation put London firm third...I know its not in the CWG scheme of things but I consider the 'safe' Gold Coast bid a fall back line. What a bad look it would be if Sri Lanka missed out because the CGF got scared off by heresay. I hope we don't fall back into the old pass it around the 'white' nations circut, we've only been outside this three times. Waiting for South Africa to be the 'next' exotic host is unfair, they have had many chances to host the CWGs since re-admittance. Let these games help developing nations...Thats what the Commonwealth is all about...isn't it? :mellow:

I can remember the 2012 Bid and speculation put London firm third...I know its not in the CWG scheme of things but I consider the 'safe' Gold Coast bid a fall back line. What a bad look it would be if Sri Lanka missed out because the CGF got scared off by heresay. I hope we don't fall back into the old pass it around the 'white' nations circut, we've only been outside this three times. Waiting for South Africa to be the 'next' exotic host is unfair, they have had many chances to host the CWGs since re-admittance. Let these games help developing nations...Thats what the Commonwealth is all about...isn't it? :mellow:

OMG Alex, are you really channeling the old "white circuit" argument from that old bastard and saying it would be "unfair" to pass over SL? A bid that is based on grandiose and expensive dreams that are just on paper at the moment, by a country mired in corruption with a Government dogged by war crime and nepotism accusations, neighbour to a much larger, richer, developed and important nation that just staged the games and is now the reference model for how NOT to organise them? I know you resent the existence of us "over-the-top" neighbours here across the Tasman, but that's cutting off your nose, lips and eyelids just to spite your face. Heresay? The WHOLE SL bid is currently (Chinese military financed) heresay.

It would be a major scandal that would make Qatar 2022 look like a sensible decision to send 2018 to SL.

OMG Alex, are you really channeling the old "white circuit" argument from that old bastard and saying it would be "unfair" to pass over SL? A bid that is based on grandiose and expensive dreams that are just on paper at the moment, by a country mired in corruption with a Government dogged by war crime and nepotism accusations, neighbour to a much larger, richer, developed and important nation that just staged the games and is now the reference model for how NOT to organise them? I know you resent the existence of us "over-the-top" neighbours here across the Tasman, but that's cutting off your nose, lips and eyelids just to spite your face. Heresay? The WHOLE SL bid is currently (Chinese military financed) heresay.

It would be a major scandal that would make Qatar 2022 look like a sensible decision to send 2018 to SL.

Oceania/Africa for Gold Coast is confirmed. Sir Rols are you calling me a old bastard? :lol:

:D Lots of fictitious bogus fabricated stuff are going around these days against Sri Lanka.(intorento911s joke is just a innocent one) the money that was used to run the NO 1 terrorist organisation in the world, today is used for anti Sri Lanka propaganda activities. so it s not surprising that more than few people are being fooled.

Brave :)

:D Lots of fictitious bogus fabricated stuff are going around these days against Sri Lanka.(intorento911s joke is just a innocent one) the money that was used to run the NO 1 terrorist organisation in the world, today is used for anti Sri Lanka propaganda activities. so it s not surprising that more than few people are being fooled.

Brave :)

IDIOT

I am sorry if this is over the line, but I have proof you fkin retarded Sri Lankan idiot! Obviously you can't read because your stupid government goes ahead and spends money on the military and events it cant afford. MY user name is Intoronto1125, but you can't read so I can't really blame you and I clearly provided sources backing my claims then again you can't read.

:angry: Quit it Rols! Far out...every time someone mentions that the CWGs should be hosted outside the old colonial circut...you get wound up, and then it's you that seems to ressurect a certain so and so using the most vile foul language...

I support Sri Lanka giving it a go equally as Gold Coast is flying the flag for 'beta/capa' sized cities to host. Whats so wrong with a developing nation striving to move out of poverty and making the effort to try...As for the 'big brother' envy, I don't think so - Australia really does do things over the top - and I don't think thats wrong, but it looks like that you're trying to impress your 'big brother', America.

...and stop using the C word, it's truly offensive...as well as dissapointing coming from someone who use to be a good example on these forums.

:angry: Quit it Rols! Far out...every time someone mentions that the CWGs should be hosted outside the old colonial circut...you get wound up, and then it's you that seems to ressurect a certain so and so using the most vile foul language...

I support Sri Lanka giving it a go equally as Gold Coast is flying the flag for 'beta/capa' sized cities to host. Whats so wrong with a developing nation striving to move out of poverty and making the effort to try...As for the 'big brother' envy, I don't think so - Australia really does do things over the top - and I don't think thats wrong, but it looks like that you're trying to impress your 'big brother', America.

...and stop using the C word, it's truly offensive...as well as dissapointing coming from someone who use to be a good example on these forums.

F**k you Alex - I'm not the first to call certain old members a c**t (check out one certain old member's profile) - but it's amazing the only time you pick up on anything about him is when I mention something, yet never seem to notice when the mod, or other members, bring him up (as they do - the mod even started a thread of his own about him). And that's rich from someone who thought it acceptable to call James (who was a thousand times less offensive than the c*nt) a "jiggaboo"!

As to the GC - I'd be much happier if it WAS someone else bidding. I'm sure not a passionate lover of the bid. I would have preferred if Auckland or canada or South Africa or whoever hadn't been so pussy scared and dropped out and so virtually forced GC to bid. If it was Abuja or South Africa, I would be more than happy for them (and if you do look at the old Abuja threads - as you say you like to do often, you'll see I was actually supportive of Abuja at first until the C*nt with a capital C came and the tide turned and it became oh so personal). I'd have been behind Singapore, maybe even Colombo. But Handbag-toter? It's not even a beta city, it's not even kappa - it's an Omega point on a map that can hardly even be called a village. It's a bid with no credibility whatsoever.

Jeez, you really are stooping to the level of the the old C*nt if you try to portray me as a a "colonialist" because I point out that sending the CWGs to Hamburglar would make Delhi look like Lillehammer (I'd say Sydney, but of course you don't accept that Australia ever staged a good edition of any games).

F**k you Alex - I'm not the first to call certain old members a c**t (check out one certain old member's profile) - but it's amazing the only time you pick up on anything about him is when I mention something, yet never seem to notice when the mod, or other members, bring him up (as they do - the mod even started a thread of his own about him). And that's rich from someone who thought it acceptable to call James (who was a thousand times less offensive than the c*nt) a "jiggaboo"!

As to the GC - I'd be much happier if it WAS someone else bidding. I'm sure not a passionate lover of the bid. I would have preferred if Auckland or canada or South Africa or whoever hadn't been so pussy scared and dropped out and so virtually forced GC to bid. If it was Abuja or South Africa, I would be more than happy for them (and if you do look at the old Abuja threads - as you say you like to do often, you'll see I was actually supportive of Abuja at first until the C*nt with a capital C came and the tide turned and it became oh so personal). I'd have been behind Singapore, maybe even Colombo. But Handbag-toter? It's not even a beta city, it's not even kappa - it's an Omega point on a map tat can hardly even be called a village. It's a bid with no credibility whatsoever.

Jeez, you really are stopping to the level of the the old C*nt if you try to portray me as a a "colonialist" because I point out that sending the CWGs to Hamburglar would make Delhi look like Lillehammer (I'd say Sydney, but of course you don't accept that Australia ever staged a good edition of any games).

Agreed with the Hambantota points. If they had went with Colombo I would have supported the bid (there excuse of no space is Bull sh*t because they propose the sports village no in hambantota but it the suburbs surely they could do that with Colombo.

Agreed with the Hambantota points. If they had went with Colombo I would have supported the bid (there excuse of no space is Bull sh*t because they propose the sports village no in hambantota but it the suburbs surely they could do that with Colombo.

But does Sri Lanka want to move away from Colombo and push Hambantota as the new look future? Probibly what their bid is about anyway.

To be honest, did anyone here even know Hambantota existed? (apart from cricket fans) Colombo would've been my choice for SL but hey...

But does Sri Lanka want to move away from Colombo and push Hambantota as the new look future? Probibly what their bid is about anyway.

To be honest, did anyone here even know Hambantota existed? (apart from cricket fans) Colombo would've been my choice for SL but hey...

Not even cricket fans would have known Hamburglar before this year's WC. It's only claim to fame was being wiped of the map by the Tsunami.

Even Papatoetoe would be more prepared and developed to host the CWGs entirely within its municipal boundaries - and at much less cost - than Handbag-toter.

Not even cricket fans would have known Hamburglar before this year's WC. It's only claim to fame was being wiped of the map by the Tsunami.

Even Papatoetoe would be more prepared and developed to host the CWGs entirely within its municipal boundaries - and at much less cost - than Handbag-toter.

If this bid came in 2019 for the 2026 bid then you know maybe they have a chance.

If this bid came in 2019 for the 2026 bid then you know maybe they have a chance.

Exactly, at best Hamburglar might be one for a decade or two down the track - if they do go ahead and (with Chinese help) turn their renders into reality.

I'd say they'd put in a softer bid for '22 in '15 just to say they are still looking but as a natural share it around yes 2026. 2030 looks like a no go if Hamilton puts in a bid so Hambanthota are in the next three bids.

I'd say they'd put in a softer bid for '22 in '15 just to say they are still looking but as a natural share it around yes 2026. 2030 looks like a no go if Hamilton puts in a bid so Hambanthota are in the next three bids.

we all know hamilton should get 2030 so yes.

Considering the Toronto-Hamilton-"Golden Horseshoe" bid for the Pan-Ams became simply the Toronto games, I'd be betting that if Canada did go for the centennial, it will be a Toronto bid, and Hamilton will mainly be featured in a support role, with its main part to play as location for a "centennial tribute".

If they had went with Colombo I would have supported the bid (there excuse of no space is Bull sh*t

Have you actually been to Colombo? There is actually no space in the suburbs for such a sports complex since it is currently filled with shanty towns (the government is reportedly getting rid of them.. but thats another story altogether!). But honestly I wouldve preferred a bid to be located, say 20-30km out of Colombo in an area which is currently being developed. It then couldve been linked by expressway to Colombo and the bid couldve been tagged as a 'Colombo bid'. But I do like the concept of the sports city in Hambantota, it looks on par with Sydney's Homebush Bay (and yes Ive been to Homebush Bay if anyone wants to know!).

Also another point to ponder. Hambantota, if linked to the rest of SL by expressway by 2018 will have 20 million potential spectators within a couple of hours drive. That essentially is the whole population of Australia. As such it is possible to develop a new city in SL. Plus India is a short hop by plane, which adds a couple of hundred million people within a few hours flight. So the event, if managed properly could be viable due to such a big potential audience. But it needs to be managed independently and with transparency in order for it to be successful.

Archived