What's the first Olympics you remember?

My first Olympic memory was discussing "les jeux Olympiques d'hiver a Albertville" in French class, 1992. I must have been 7.

Strangely enough I remember almost nothing from the games themselves, or much about Barcelona, even though I knew it was happening and heard all about the Dream Team.

I have very fond memories of Lillehammer, though. I didn't really watch Atlanta because I was in Canada at the time and I remember people dismissing it as "the American Olympics". I think Sydney may have been the first SOG I wound up really watching.

Barcelona 1992 is the first I really remember, though I think I watched the ceremonies at least in Albertville first, and remember brief moments of the World Athletics Champs in 1991. Also remember staying up through the night for the Atlanta 1996 opening ceremony and managing to fall asleep as the parade of nations began and wake up once it was all over.

Indeed it's quite scary I remember that, but can't recall whether I watch Vancouver live overnight or taped it to view the next day!

Same with 1994, even with the soap box that was Nancy Kerrigan & can't remember at the moment the other chic's name.

Completely forgot the Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding fiasco happened in '94. Man, does time fly.

:) Sarajevo 84 is the earliest that I can remember, with LA '84 following six months later. Never really noticed them before that because of all the boycotts. LA84 was pretty cool as America was at it's most powerfull.

Sarejevo and Los Angeles were my first true Olympic memories back in 1984 watching them both on ABC as a grade school kid. At the time and still so to this day, I was intrigued by the international aspect of them, since I was learning about other nations and cultures through encyclopedias, atlases, and almanacs. Seems like eons ago, but I enjoyed watching them and hope to see some other additional stuff on YouTube as they appear.

Archived