What's the first Olympics you remember?

So what's the first Olympics that you remember, and I mean remember by actually seeing coverage on TV or hearing on radio? I was 5 when I caught bits of the 1984 L.A. Games on my parents' new TV. I distinctly remember Mary Decker falling in I think it was the 400m? As far as actually following the Olympics, I recall the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary where I watched multi[ple events (I was 9 at the time). I actually remember seeing the medal count at one point in the Dallas Morning News and then asking my father why the U.S. had only one bronze medal when a bunch of other countries had more gold and silver medals.

My first memories:

München 1972 - 5 years - I was too young to remember very much, but I got from my aunt/uncle from Munich a white polo-neck with the arms of Munich and the Olympic Rings as a present

Innsbruck 1976 - 9 years - Rosi Mittermeiers' gold medals

Montreal 1976 - 9 years - Nadia Comăneci in gymnastics

Lake Placid 1980 - 13 years - Jochen Behle was 1st for a long time after the first interim time, but the international broadcast didn't offer a single picture of him and the German comentator asked the whole time: "Where is Behle", "Where is Behle"...

Moscow 1980 - 13 years - I remember that on the West-German TV was just very few said about them after the boycott-declaration

since Sarajevo 1984 I watched every Olympic Games from the start to the end...

Vaguely, very vaguely, I remember bits of Mexico 68 - more for the posters around the school at the time and such.

Munich is the first I start to remember well - I recall watching Shane Gould go for Gold, Mark Spitz's triumph and (of course, unfortunately) the drama of the Black September attack.

I remeber the Seoul 88 opening ceremony. It was late night and my grandfather was watching it. I watched a bit with him. I was 5.

Some highlights of the Los Angeles 1984 Opening Ceremony (I was 9)

The Giant Slalom and the Gold Medal of Franck Picard plus the Figure Skating gold medal of Katarina Witt at the Winter Olympic Games in Calgary 1988 (I was 12)

The Athletics events of the Seoul 1988 Olympic Games (I was 13)

And after that every thing starting with the 1992 Winter Games in Albertville and Summer Games in Barcelona (I was 17...)

I think I remembered Seoul on TV, and remember Barcelona to a very minor extend because I didn't really care at the time. I remember Albertville for the battle between Kristi Yamaguchi and Midori Ito, and watching the CC. Then I got hooked and my first Games to follow very closely was Nagano because of the internet.

My real interest in the Olympic Games didn't start before Sydney 2000 -- the first Games of which I tried to get as much coverage and information as possible.

But my earliest Olympic memory is some television report from the streets of Seoul during the 1988 Games. I remember the evening of the Albertville 1992 opening ceremony, during Barcelona 1992 I was mainly on vacation and only saw snippets of the Italian television broadcast on our portable black-and-white TV set, I remember watching ice bi*ch Tonya Harding doing her memorable "I broke my laces" performance in Lillehammer and I remember some parts of Atlanta 1996 (especially the bomb attack and Frank Busemann's surprise silver medal in decathlon). I believe I already saw a bit more of the Nagano 1998 Games, I remember the closing ceremony, for example.

But as I said, the real Olympic enthusiasm didn't start before Sydney 2000.

I have a few vague memories of watching the Calgary Games, and several memories from the Seoul Games (Greg Louganis, gymnastics, and Flo-Jo). I watched most of the Albertville Games, but the first Olympics I truly watched in full were the Barcelona Games, which are still my favorite Olympics.

My first olympic memory was the Opening Cerimony of LA84, I remember stagecoaches marching through the field and the comentator refering to the fact that Hollywood was nearby and it was felt on the cerimony. My first olympic sport memory was Carlos Lopes winning the gold medal on the marathon at those olympics.

I was 9 during Seoul, my only vague memories of that were some mornings before I went to school when my parents had the coverage on. The first Olympics I watched very intently were Albertville and Barcelona, Albertville in particular where most days I was rushing home from school to catch the afternoon coverage. Been hooked ever since!

Franz Klammer. Innsbruck, '76. I was 8.

We had a 13" blank and white TV, and I'm sure it was shown on tape delay… but, man, what a run. I don't remember much else from those Olympics - maybe Dorothy Hamill. But Klammer's run is probably what turned me into an Olympic fan for life.

That summer (I was now 9) McDonalds was running a promotion. Each visit you got a scratch-off card with an event. If an American medaled in that event you got free food. I had nothing better to do that summer, so I kept going to McDonalds, getting cards, and tracking the events.

That summer (I was now 9) McDonalds was running a promotion. Each visit you got a scratch-off card with an event. If an American medaled in that event you got free food. I had nothing better to do that summer, so I kept going to McDonalds, getting cards, and tracking the events.

I don't remember them doing that in '76, only '84.

Anyway my first vivid memories of the Olympic Games are Innsbruck and Montreal '76. I remember the Ski Jumping from Innsbruck and I remember the Gymnastics from Montreal and Nadia, and reports from the Olympic Village on ABC.

I remember watching Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony (but I had no idea it was the Olympics) my interest in Geography was unlocked in Grade 2 (so about 1999) and watching the countries parade me interested. The first Olympics i truly watched was in Salt Lake.

LA '84 - wierd I can't remember much of Sarajevo that same year.

The first ones I really watched though, was Calgary '88 (I was 9). And here I am, now living in Calgary just 10 mins away from Olympic Park. B) Lots of highlights from the Calgary games including the Jamaican Bobsleigh Team, Eddie the Eagle, Alberto Tomba, and Katarina Witt.

My first Olympic memory was the cauldron lighting of the Barcelona Games in 1992. I was seven years old.

The first Games I followed were the Atlanta Games though.

A few flickers of memory from the 1984 Sarajevo Games (Gaetan Boucher's gold medal wins), but that burst into flame starting with the release of those golden balloons a few months later in Los Angeles.

I vaguely remember watching coverage of the 1988 Calgary & Seoul Olympics. In 1992, I didn't watch any, nor was following the Olympics. Same with 1994, even with the soap box that was Nancy Kerrigan & can't remember at the moment the other chic's name.

The first Olympics I truely "followed" was Atlanta 1996. And ever since then, I've been a big fan. What mainly drawed me to the Olympics was my huge interest in geography, since the 2 compliment each other very much so.

Archived