New sports at Summer Olympics?

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which sports would you add?

2. 2. Which sports do you think will the IOC add?

Just want to point out baseball is popular in Asia not just in Japan. Korea won the 2008 OGM, and it is one of the most popular sport in Taiwan which produces competitive teams (top 5~8 ish WW) albeit not as strong as Japan and Korea.

I do agree though baseball should not be in the Olympics as Olympics should feature the top athletes in each sport.

Starcraft is more popular in Korea than baseball.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball has three continents: South America, North America and Asia.

America is one continent, but yeh, it's popular in north america, central america and in one country from south america (Not for too long.)

Then asia = japan

So yeh, in other words basebore is popular in 5 significant countries.

If so let's add cricket too... At least the sport is popular in two super populated countries.

Oh, I was just searching about the exclusion of basebore and found this:

"Harvey Schiller, president of the International Baseball Federation, told member nations in an August letter that it isn't worth trying to get the sport back in the Olympics again. The IOC, he said, sent "a clear message that despite any changes we make, we are not part of their plan."

Let's hope he's right.

Starcraft is more popular in Korea than baseball.

To be fair, in its prime StarCraft: Brood Wars was essentially the second most popular sport in Korea (behind Football). Its not as popular now as it was in its 2005-2007 peak (so its probably behind Baseball now) but it still draws good crowds and good TV ratings:

(I just so happen to be a StarCraft fan :P )

Still, the fact that South Korea has a strong profetional Baseball league and a strong national team remains. Not to mention the last country to win Olympic gold in the sport.

I just think that there are so many pro's and con's to every sport. And like I said before, I would rather the IOC push the limit to 320 and tweak the various sports to create a better overall program with regards to popularity, competitiveness and gender equality. I see no reason to put in karate over judo or taekwondo. But would be alright if squash took table tennis's place.

• 2 weeks later...

Kiteboarding to replace windsurfing at Rio 2016 Olympics

May 6 - Windsurfing has been controversially axed from the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro and replaced by kiteboarding, the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) has announced at its mid-year meeting in Stresa, Italy.

Kiteboarding has been described as combining wakeboarding, windsurfing, surfing, paragliding, and gymnastics into one extreme sport and has been chosen to make its debut at Rio following the report of an evaluation group appointed by the ISAF.

The decision to include it in Rio at the expense of windsurfing took most experts by surprise, including Britain's Nick Dempsey, the 2004 Athens Olympic silver medallist.

He wrote on his Facebook page: "Wow, unexpected.

"That was a big decision and a very sad day for windsurfing.

"My heart goes out to all the aspiring champions and kids with dreams of windsurfing at the Olympics."

It means that windsurfing's last appearance in the Olympics for the foreseeable future will be at Weymouth and Portland, the venue for the sailing events at this year's Olympics.

"These announcements mark a new era for sailing and we welcome the new classes into the ISAF family," said Göran Petersson, the President of the ISAF.

"The equipment selections have fulfilled the criteria set out by the Evaluation Panel and we look forward to seeing the boats not only at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, but the ISAF Sailing World Cup and ISAF Sailing World Championships."

more: insidethegames

Kitesurfing, eh? Should look pretty spectacular with Rio as its backdrop!

Axing windsufring is kind of BS... its the most accessible of the sailing event. I get wanting to add kiteboarding, but windsurfing should not have been the event to get the cut...

Oh, I should mention that the new set of sailing events is even more gender imbalanced that the current one (6 men - 3 women - 1 open (so men, mostly) instead of 6 men - 4 women) :/

Axing windsufring is kind of BS... its the most accessible of the sailing event. I get wanting to add kiteboarding, but windsurfing should not have been the event to get the cut...

Oh, I should mention that the new set of sailing events is even more gender imbalanced that the current one (6 men - 3 women - 1 open (so men, mostly) instead of 6 men - 4 women) :/

I agree. -.-

Woops! Wrong button!!!!!!

Spain admits error in windsurfing voting drop

Controversy, mistakes and general confusion. The world of windsurfing and kiteboarding is living the worst nightmare over a place in the 2016 Olympic Games.

Days after the ISAF decision to get kiteboarders a chance in the Olympic sailing event, the Royal Spanish Sailing Federation (RFEV) announced that their representative, Gerardo Pombo, voted against instructions at the mid-year ISAF meeting, held last week.

"Spain has supported and supports the continuation of windsurfing in the 2016 Olympic Games. In the last years, RFEV has invested heavily in the development of future windsurfing talents, through a national modernization plan", the statement tells.

"Also, in the current Spanish Olympic Sailing Team we have some of the best windsurfers in the world who have been serious contenders for a medal in the Olympic Games".

"At the last moment, the Spanish representative in the ISAF Council expressed his affirmative vote for kiteboarders, an error explained by the confusion of the voting system. Gerardo Pombo, the RFEV president, wants to apologize to all Spanish windsurfers for that".

If the result of the voting was 19-17, this means windsurfing and kiteboarding would be tied. At the same time, it would be unfair to remove kiteboarding from the 2016 Olympic Games after all the celebrations. Having both wind sports in Rio de Janeiro is the most reasonable decision.

SurferToday.com

• 1 year later...
International Olympic Committee opens doors to American football

American football took a big step closer to an Olympic end zone Tuesday as the International Olympic Committee granted the International Federation of American Football (IFAF) provisional IOC recognition during its meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland.

A vote on football could take place as early as 2017. If approved, football would join the Summer Olympics lineup in 2024 at a host city yet to be determined.

“IFAF is proud to receive this recognition and join the Olympic family,” IFAF President Tommy Wiking said. “The enduring ideals of sport that comprise the Olympic Charter reside in our game’s timeless values and in the spirit of the millions who love to play it.

“We thank the IOC Executive Board and administration for its support throughout this process as well as our dedicated National and Continental committees. It is especially gratifying to share this recognition with American football athletes of all ages across the world, past and present. They have made and continue to make this an exceptional sport that captures our imaginations and unites us through competition in mind, body and heart.”

IFAF unites 64 countries on six continents, all of which have national federations dedicated to the sport of American football.

As the national governing body of the sport, USA Football is the United States’ representative to IFAF. USA Football currently fields national teams for international competition in men’s, women’s, Under-19, Under-18, Under-17, Under-16 and Under-15 tackle as well as men’s and women’s flag.

With provisional recognition some IFAF member countries will gain government support for sport development. The IOC decision may lead to more countries establishing American football programs as well.

In addition, this could offer American football more opportunities to played in larger international competitions, such as the Pan American Games.

“On behalf of the IOC, we are delighted to welcome the IFAF into the Olympic family. The federation has long demonstrated strong youth appeal and is making great progress in developing their sport around the world. We trust that this provisional recognition will generate momentum in the further universal development of their disciplines.” said Christophe Dubi, IOC sports director.

NFL

Archived