New sports at Summer Olympics?

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which sports would you add?

2. 2. Which sports do you think will the IOC add?

shooting because its place is questionable given modern sensibilities.

barf.

this is the kind of thing that happens when you give self-righteous goons in europe too much control over a global event.

'you guys, shooting clay disks offends my modern sensibilities! pottery deserves human rights.'

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I agree that Ttennis should be dropped and replaced with squash.

Agree with ping-pong should be dropped, since with ping-pong, it's like we give the China extra free medals, since there is no country that can match China :), but I prefer Wushu/Karate than Squash, the popularity of Wushu/Karate is above Squash, Wushu/Karate more popular than Squash, for Squash, it's hard to find the sponsor even for British open :)

Agree with ping-pong should be dropped, since with ping-pong, it's like we give the China extra free medals, since there is no country that can match China :), but I prefer Wushu/Karate than Squash, the popularity of Wushu/Karate is above Squash, Wushu/Karate more popular than Squash, for Squash, it's hard to find the sponsor even for British open :)

The thing is there is already wrestling, taekwondo and Judo.

taekwondo is really sexy to watch during the olympics.

except they always put it on USA during the middle of the week so who the hell can ever catch it?

i caught it during athens because i was in college, so therefore i was allowed to lie in bed for two weeks with a case mountain dew and soup at hand.

but i missed it during beijing.

remember when the guy from cuba kicked the coach in the head?

what??? i mean, are you kidding me?

no, that was just beyond.

how could they even think of getting rid of this sport?

ty-kick.jpg

The thing is there is already wrestling, taekwondo and Judo.

They are martial art, but they are different :), maybe Judo and Wrestling almost same, both of them about grappling, while Tae Kwon Do about kicking and Wushu about art, really, try to watch a wushu then you will understand, why Wushu called martial ART, it's like the combination between gymnastic and martial art, so for martial art in Olympic rather than wrestling i prefer we have Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Wushu and Boxing :) , and how could a sport that difficult to get sponsor for they premium competition, could be included in Olympic ? Squash most played at England, yet they face difficulties when they try to find the sponsor for British Open ???

They are martial art, but they are different :), maybe Judo and Wrestling almost same, both of them about grappling, while Tae Kwon Do about kicking and Wushu about art, really, try to watch a wushu then you will understand, why Wushu called martial ART, it's like the combination between gymnastic and martial art, so for martial art in Olympic rather than wrestling i prefer we have Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Wushu and Boxing :) , and how could a sport that difficult to get sponsor for they premium competition, could be included in Olympic ? Squash most played at England, yet they face difficulties when they try to find the sponsor for British Open ???

Yet Squash has world powers in every continent.

Canada had the men's #1 before, Mexico and COlombia also have high ranked players.

Egypt is good so is Malaysia, England, Australia.

Tennis, fencing, equestrian, ice hockey, skiing, snowboarding, figure skating, rowing, canoe/kayak, cycling, gymnastics, and sailing are all really expensive sports.

My brother played travel baseball, a relatively cheap sport and it still cost thousands a year. High performance sport is going to be expensive. A pair of figure skates represent a months pay of a average Canadian. Hockey for someone with talent, 10,000 minimum a year until they are in major junior.

Golf has high profile championship calibre athletes from every continent and is one of the most common recreational sports. I think its boring as hell. But other people love it.

Tennis, fencing, equestrian, ice hockey, skiing, snowboarding, figure skating, rowing, canoe/kayak, cycling, gymnastics, and sailing are all really expensive sports.

My brother played travel baseball, a relatively cheap sport and it still cost thousands a year. High performance sport is going to be expensive. A pair of figure skates represent a months pay of a average Canadian. Hockey for someone with talent, 10,000 minimum a year until they are in major junior.

Golf has high profile championship calibre athletes from every continent and is one of the most common recreational sports. I think its boring as hell. But other people love it.

Good point, but look at the world rankings in these sports there is a mix of poorer countries in their, for example Cuba won the women's road race ahead of a Canadian this past weekend at the Pan American Championship. Golf's top 23 come from USa/England/RSA/Australia all g20 countries,

it also takes forever to play.

isn't that why they dropped it in 1908?

Here is an article on a combined baseball and softball bid:

Baseball and softball officials plan to formalize their plans to make a joint bid for Olympic reinstatement by the end of the month.

The International Baseball Federation says it hopes to finalize a Memorandum of Understanding with the International Softball Federation at a meeting in Rotterdam on March 17 and then submit it to the International Olympic Committee.

Baseball and softball are competing with karate, roller sports, sports climbing, squash, wakeboard and wushu for one spot on the 2020 program. The IOC will hold its vote in September 2013.

The IOC voted in 2005 to remove baseball and softball from the Olympic program after the 2008 Beijing Games. As separate bids, the two sports both failed to return for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2012/03/12/sp-olympics-baseball-softball-bid.html

golf was added in the hopes that the world's best golfers would have a chance to compete at the Olympics.

Good luck with that. They're hoping that it's going to have the same effect adding tennis had where the world's top players will suddenly care about competing in the Olympics. I just don't see it happening. At least if it was some sort of interesting format (seems like the Olympics sets up perfectly for match play) instead of your standard 4-day stroke play tournament. So especially for golfers used to competing almost exclusively in the United States, what does it do to their schedule to compete in the Olympics and also be ready for the PGA Championship. We'll have to wait to see how this plays out, but especially that Brazil is less than enthusiastic about golf (as opposed to if they could have gotten it on the schedule for 2012), I have doubts as to how successful this is going to be.

Baseball and softball are competing with karate, roller sports, sports climbing, squash, wakeboard and wushu for one spot on the 2020 program. The IOC will hold its vote in September 2013.

i'm all in favor of karate, because the more sports we can get into the olympics that are just excuses for kicking people in the head, i'm obviously all in favor of. they should cut a few sports to make way for more head kick sports. MMA? why the hell not, i say. that means more kickboxing, more cagefighting, and way way more cagefighting with bears and stuff.

i mean, sailing? yeah, it was cool to go sailing with all the jews at summer camp who had sailboats at their houses at lake george, but it's boring to watch vaguely well built prep schoolers compete on tv who aren't blair and serena. i use sailing as an example here. so you know the kind of summer camp i went to.

oh you know, i guess someone could drown in sailing, but that, like never happens. we used to sail to blueberry island and pick wild blueberries and get stung by bees on the gravel shore. it's where i learned how to skip a mean stone, guys.

wakeboard really ups the near drowning possibility, so i'm all for that one. but what if the waves just aren't gnarly that day? that would be like, totally bogus, bro.

sports climbing & squash. i have this friend on FB who's an architect in midtown and her and her architect buddies just love their sports climbing and racquetball. i'm guessing squash is racquetball. google is giving me this really BS answer on how squash is different from racquetball. you guys, "racquetball racquets are shorter, with a maximum length of 22 inches." oh obviously. totally different sport, duh. and how to you medal at sports climbing? do you just race up the wall with the little rubber climbing things? that's boring. we used to have one of those climbing walls at camp (camp is my only exposure to sports outside the olympics guys, so bear with me) and this counselor once fell off the wall and had to go to the hospital and couldn't come back... there's no moral or analysis to this anecdote, i just wanted you to know about it. the architect on FB too.

baseball/softball. i watched a whole game during beijing where the canadian team got positively slaughtered, so i bet they're behind this. keeping a perfectly reasonable sport out of the olympics. i don't remember by who beat them. prolly korea. it was probably just the blue jays. poor canada. they really stink.

roller sports. well, it's a novel idea, but since the IOC voting block isn't made up of 16 year old boys, i just don't see this one happening. it's probably just because the IOC is as sick of tony hawk as the rest of us. they're all pretty insufferable to be honest. you've never mistakenly watched an hour of the X games in the misguided belief that they were anything like the olympics but maybe a little more xtreme, have you? no? good. because i can tell you... don't.

wushu. brb i have to youtube this one. i don't know what wushu is but it sounds like a nonviolent chinese group committed to political change through silent dialogue and meditation that the chinese government brutally suppresses with poison gas. well, that's what it sounds like. it turns out - from this youtube video to this emo song about how this guy could have like DIED because of his whitegirl problems - that it's like rhythm gymnastics with the ribbon but more flips and kicks and stuff. it's less boring that ribbon gymnastics, but i wish they had something to kick. kicking nothing leaves me frustrated and unfulfilled. please start kicking something - anything. also: i have serious concerns that white people do not have the coordination to pull something like this off. no white people medals is really NBD, but the IOC has a lot of white people with clout. something like this may, as faster says, "offend modern sensibilities."

that one there had a lesson. white people modern sensibilities revealed:

NO shooting poor defenseless pottery

NO new sports that favor chinese supersoliders. cute in beijing. don't play that game in europe.

• 2 weeks later...

wushu. brb i have to youtube this one. i don't know what wushu is but it sounds like a nonviolent chinese group committed to political change through silent dialogue and meditation that the chinese government brutally suppresses with poison gas. well, that's what it sounds like. it turns out - from this youtube video to this emo song about how this guy could have like DIED because of his whitegirl problems - that it's like rhythm gymnastics with the ribbon but more flips and kicks and stuff. it's less boring that ribbon gymnastics, but i wish they had something to kick. kicking nothing leaves me frustrated and unfulfilled. please start kicking something - anything. also: i have serious concerns that white people do not have the coordination to pull something like this off. no white people medals is really NBD, but the IOC has a lot of white people with clout. something like this may, as faster says, "offend modern sensibilities."

that one there had a lesson. white people modern sensibilities revealed:

Actually wushu has 2 major, one called sanshou, and the other called taolu, the one that like a gymnastic is taolu, try to search sanshou one, and you will find fighting and kicking :)

The PGA and EPGA have both agreed to alter their schedule in Olympic years. Golf will probably be a lot like tennis in that it will be treated as a 5th major in Olympic years.

The only problem with golf, is that if the IOC follows the traditional 3/2 maximum entries per country, then you would have to go into the 400's of the world ranking to fill out 64 spots. They would have to allow 4 or 5 entries per country to make it competitive from top to bottom because of the dominance of the USA, UK, South Africa and Australia in the world rankings.

Actually wushu has 2 major, one called sanshou, and the other called taolu, the one that like a gymnastic is taolu, try to search sanshou one, and you will find fighting and kicking :)

But majority of people have never heard of the Sport. The 2009 World Championship was held in Toronto and there was 0 press coverage at all.

Archived