New sports at Summer Olympics?

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which sports would you add?

2. 2. Which sports do you think will the IOC add?

Would like them to bring back baseball/softball but if they don't bring back baseball i'm ok with it but they need to bring back softball ASAP!!!

And I voted for "another one" so i'll specify. ready? wait for it... AMERICAN FOOTBALL. Yeah the U.S. would dominate for the first 2 or 3 olympics but the sport would catch on very quickly around the world in my opinion.

American Football would not happen....ever. it would be like Women's Basketball where the United States goes undefeated in several Olympics.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

American Football would not happen....ever. it would be like Women's Basketball where the United States goes undefeated in several Olympics.

as of right now but I wouldn't say never. The sport is growing around the globe. But it will take quite some time but here an idea to speed it up.

Here's my idea:

Instead of playing one game in London every year while teams are in the midde of a division race. (which isn't fair to them.) They should have training camp/preseason over there. Have 4 teams go to one country and another 4 go to another and so on, that means you'll have preseason in 8 different country's. Market them make them stars over there that way they get to see them play/train and gives them some thing to follow while they're gone. Try that for 2 or 3 years and see what's happening and go from there. American football will never touch soccer or even come close to it but I think it can be 2nd or 3rd or whatever they watch over besides soccer.

This idea will help grow the sport and it will help out the season ticket owners ;)

American football is NEVER going to get in.

#1 - There are already like 2 dozen sports ahead of it waiting to get in.

#2 - Its appeal is NOT universal. The IOC has rules like it has to be "widely practiced" in "at least 50 countries on 3 continents." New sports must also have a women's component where the number it is played is 35 countries. (These may have shifted a bit since I located these numbers, but you get the idea...) But a contact sport where expensive garb/equipment is required -- and you expect poor Asian & African countries to embrace it? R u nuts?

#3 - All the others sports possibly up for inclusion NEED TO HAVE women's equivalent to have gender equality.

#4 - It's nothing but another (expensive) variant of soccer and rugby. What does it really add to the summer slate? Why do they need a 3rd similar sport?

#5 - As explained to you before, LOGISTICALLY, in terms of Village accommodations, it's NOT even up for discussion.

#6 - Season holders? :blink: WTF do they have to do with an Olympics?

U're clearly up in the stratosphere here, Ace.

I think he's moved way beyond the stratosphere, more like in the mesosphere or the thermosphere. :lol:

Instead of playing one game in London every year while teams are in the midde of a division race. (which isn't fair to them.) They should have training camp/preseason over there. Have 4 teams go to one country and another 4 go to another and so on, that means you'll have preseason in 8 different country's. Market them make them stars over there that way they get to see them play/train and gives them some thing to follow while they're gone. Try that for 2 or 3 years and see what's happening and go from there. American football will never touch soccer or even come close to it but I think it can be 2nd or 3rd or whatever they watch over besides soccer.

This idea will help grow the sport and it will help out the season ticket owners ;)

Yea, maybe that one only goes as far as the stratosphere. The NFL is certainly interested in growing their brand globally, but A) it's certainly not in an effort to get into the Olympics and B) that's not the way to do it. And I get where you're going about the season ticket holders (baron.. that has nothing to do with the Olympics, he's referring to all the fans who are forced to buy preseason games at full price, but send those games overseas and the fans don't have to pay for them), but do you really think NFL owners want to ship their product overseas like that and give up the revenue from holding those games in their own stadiums? You're probably crazy enough to think that they might actually hold a Super Bowl outside the United States.

Ace, keep on dreaming if you want. But for those of us based in reality, try not to take it personally when we all think you're nuts.

The difference being Australia can challenge the USA.

On a side note, the IFAF (International federation of American Football) recently held its world championships with 8 teams (France, Germany, Austria, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Canada and Australia)

Only 3 continents and you can guess who won, the USA 50-7 over Canada. All of its games ended in blowouts except against Mexico. Anyways, the Olympics will be going around when the NFL season starts so no stars would come over automatically making the sport lose a spot.

American football is NEVER going to get in.

#1 - There are already like 2 dozen sports ahead of it waiting to get in.

#2 - Its appeal is NOT universal. The IOC has rules like it has to be "widely practiced" in "at least 50 countries on 3 continents." New sports must also have a women's component where the number it is played is 35 countries. (These may have shifted a bit since I located these numbers, but you get the idea...) But a contact sport where expensive garb/equipment is required -- and you expect poor Asian & African countries to embrace it? R u nuts?

#3 - All the others sports possibly up for inclusion NEED TO HAVE women's equivalent to have gender equality.

#4 - It's nothing but another (expensive) variant of soccer and rugby. What does it really add to the summer slate? Why do they need a 3rd similar sport?

#5 - As explained to you before, LOGISTICALLY, in terms of Village accommodations, it's NOT even up for discussion.

#6 - Season holders? :blink: WTF do they have to do with an Olympics?

Sigh read the thing again Baron. I wasn't talking about the olympics I was talking about the pro league here in the U.S. you know when I said "preaseason. season ticket owners have to pay way to much money in the pre-season so if they go overseas there not being force to pay.

And also i'm sorry it's not at all like soccer and rugby just youtube it. Also read my post again lol. it had nothing to do with olympics :rolleyes: it was an idea to grow the sport and get it more popular. Yes i'm an idiot to think football will be an olympic sprt by 2020 but that's not the case i'm making i'm saying it can be a future sport if they market it well enough.

And your making a case against football by saying there isn't enough room for them. is that a joke? They can have 11,000 athletes but they can't have 11,400 athletes? :blink:

OH! and women do play football Baron they even have their own league. So I think that part won't be an issue.

I think he's moved way beyond the stratosphere, more like in the mesosphere or the thermosphere. :lol:

Yea, maybe that one only goes as far as the stratosphere. The NFL is certainly interested in growing their brand globally, but A) it's certainly not in an effort to get into the Olympics and B) that's not the way to do it. And I get where you're going about the season ticket holders (baron.. that has nothing to do with the Olympics, he's referring to all the fans who are forced to buy preseason games at full price, but send those games overseas and the fans don't have to pay for them), but do you really think NFL owners want to ship their product overseas like that and give up the revenue from holding those games in their own stadiums? You're probably crazy enough to think that they might actually hold a Super Bowl outside the United States.

Ace, keep on dreaming if you want. But for those of us based in reality, try not to take it personally when we all think you're nuts.

What product do they have over here during the pre-season? NOTHING! Every body is waiting for the regualar season heck people are actually waiting for college football to start more than the pre-season. I understand the revenue but they can get that figured out within 5 minutes. Well ok maybe not after watching this whole lockout thing. But like I said i'm not pushing for it to be an olympic sport, i'm saying they can make it popular and then go from there. Look if you miss read my comments then yeah i'm crazy. I would think any body was crazy if they thought American football could be an olympic sport by 2020 or 2024. But the key word in this is CAN I didn't say it WAS going to be it CAN be.

Lol I laughed alittle when I saw you say "You're probably crazy enough to think that they might actually hold a Super Bowl outside the United States." Because the NFl actually did talk about that... and for the record I WAS AGAINST THAT!

What product do they have over here during the pre-season? NOTHING! Every body is waiting for the regualar season heck people are actually waiting for college football to start more than the pre-season. I understand the revenue but they can get that figured out within 5 minutes. Well ok maybe not after watching this whole lockout thing. But like I said i'm not pushing for it to be an olympic sport, i'm saying they can make it popular and then go from there. Look if you miss read my comments then yeah i'm crazy. I would think any body was crazy if they thought American football could be an olympic sport by 2020 or 2024. But the key word in this is CAN I didn't say it WAS going to be it CAN be.

Lol I laughed alittle when I saw you say "You're probably crazy enough to think that they might actually hold a Super Bowl outside the United States." Because the NFl actually did talk about that... and for the record I WAS AGAINST THAT!

No product? So all those season ticket holders (you brought that up, so I'm guessing you were referring to how they pay for preseason games because they're part of the season package even though they don't go to them) are paying regular season prices for nothing? The NFL claims they make $200 million a week during the preseason, so that's a pretty big thing to try and figure out in 5 minutes, especially as you brought up, for a league that's been stuck in a lockout they can't seem to get out of.

And as for the Super Bowl, that's exactly why I brought it up. You know how many times the NBA has brought up the possibility of putting an entire franchise overseas or some other inane go-nowhere ideas these leagues have brought up? Doesn't mean it actually has any chance of happening anytime in the near future.

OH! and women do play football Baron they even have their own league. So I think that part won't be an issue.

baron, you have to admit.. he does have you there! :P:D:lol:

Yup i'm crazy B)

Ace, I may have misinterpreted your original post...but see I wasn't the only one. And it's because you throw in a post like that in a thread more or less devoted to possible new sports in the Olympics. So you can't totally blame me for the misunderstanding. Anyway, I don't really pay attention to American football, so all its nuances would be lost on me. Sorry.

What do you guys think about the UFC being an olympic sport? I mean it is the fastest growing sport around the world. Just throwing ideas out there.

As big of an MMA/UFC fan as I am, I don't see it happening. The sport is too bloody for the IOC, even moreso than boxing.

Ace, I may have misinterpreted your original post...but see I wasn't the only one. And it's because you throw in a post like that in a thread more or less devoted to possible new sports in the Olympics. So you can't totally blame me for the misunderstanding. Anyway, I don't really pay attention to American football, so all its nuances would be lost on me. Sorry.

I understand nobody follows Football like America. It's the only thing we talk about, well we talk about baksetball but not as much as football. And let's be honest the poll options didn't really spark much debate so I thought I should throw some thing wayyy out there.

As big of an MMA/UFC fan as I am, I don't see it happening. The sport is too bloody for the IOC, even moreso than boxing.

Yeah I would be shocked to see MMA in the olympics for reasons you brought up. And in boxing they wear that helmet thing so it makes things less bloody but I don't see how that would work in MMA unless they wore full body gear. But even still.

No product? So all those season ticket holders (you brought that up, so I'm guessing you were referring to how they pay for preseason games because they're part of the season package even though they don't go to them) are paying regular season prices for nothing? The NFL claims they make $200 million a week during the preseason, so that's a pretty big thing to try and figure out in 5 minutes, especially as you brought up, for a league that's been stuck in a lockout they can't seem to get out of.

And as for the Super Bowl, that's exactly why I brought it up. You know how many times the NBA has brought up the possibility of putting an entire franchise overseas or some other inane go-nowhere ideas these leagues have brought up? Doesn't mean it actually has any chance of happening anytime in the near future.

That is true but they can get that figured out I mean they've been talking about cutting preseason games because of the "product" in preseason. it's not really good and it doesn't get any body excited in the U.S. but that doesn't mean a curious fan overseas wouldn't be interested.

That is true but they can get that figured out I mean they've been talking about cutting preseason games because of the "product" in preseason. it's not really good and it doesn't get any body excited in the U.S. but that doesn't mean a curious fan overseas wouldn't be interested.

It's not really 'cutting' preseason games though. The idea is to have the same number of total games, but have 2 preseason + 18 regular season rather than the current 4+16. Obviously the preseason is a lesser product than the regular season, but again, don't under-sell how much of a money-maker it is for the NFL (although obviously not quite as much as a week of the regular season). Even still.. does having spring training in Florida and Arizona get those fans more excited about baseball? Not really, it's just something they have for that 1 month. So the idea the NFL would even consider outsourcing its preseason overseas, especially when it's been a while since the even had any of the American Bowl games they used to have just about every year, is pretty darn absurd. Not going to happen. Ever.

It's not really 'cutting' preseason games though. The idea is to have the same number of total games, but have 2 preseason + 18 regular season rather than the current 4+16. Obviously the preseason is a lesser product than the regular season, but again, don't under-sell how much of a money-maker it is for the NFL (although obviously not quite as much as a week of the regular season). Even still.. does having spring training in Florida and Arizona get those fans more excited about baseball? Not really, it's just something they have for that 1 month. So the idea the NFL would even consider outsourcing its preseason overseas, especially when it's been a while since the even had any of the American Bowl games they used to have just about every year, is pretty darn absurd. Not going to happen. Ever.

Well then what's your idea? Because you can't send a team overseas during the regualar season every year that's stupid and unfair to the 2 teams playing cause there in a race for the playoffs. Maybe not every pre-season game should be over there but atleast go over there for one week to try and promote your sport. You can't just sit on your butt and hope the sport grows cause it aint going to work.

Well then what's your idea? Because you can't send a team overseas during the regualar season every year that's stupid and unfair to the 2 teams playing cause there in a race for the playoffs. Maybe not every pre-season game should be over there but atleast go over there for one week to try and promote your sport. You can't just sit on your butt and hope the sport grows cause it aint going to work.

You don't send the entire National Football League overseas for a week just to try it, not when there's millions of dollars at stake. And again, doesn't it tell you something that they've stopped the American Bowl series completely after they used to have at least 2 games there every year for a while? Apparently this is part of Roger Goodell's international plans, to put a regular season game there (they've said they might add another in the near future) instead of preseason games there, which I think makes sense. You talk about it being unfair because teams are fighting for the playoffs.. football players routinely travel from coast to coast during the season, so it's not like going from the East coast to Europe is all that much further, especially when the rule is that teams always have an open week after the London game.

The NFL, as we know, has learned how to generate literally billions of dollars domestically. No, they'll never be that sort of powerhouse internationally, but so what. If they can sell out Wembley with little effort, clearly they know what they're doing. So what if they're not that big outside the United States. It's not worth losing the money they'd be sacrificing here to grow themselves elsewhere. I will bring up this point though that some big NFL fans think I'm nuts to bring up. There's been talk that with an 18-game regular season, they'd keep the start of the season on the same weekend and push the Super Bowl further into February. Which of course could mean going head-to-head with the Olympics. The NFL needs to tread carefully with that one. Obviously that's really bad news in the US and for NBComcast if that winds up being the case (ironically, the current rotation could theoretically have NBC in line for that Super Bowl), but if the NFL wants to maintain an International presence, they'd be wise to avoid the Olympics and the IOC.

but if the NFL wants to maintain an International presence, they'd be wise to avoid the Olympics and the IOC.

I think a SuperBowl (not that I care 1 way or another) in the middle Sunday of a WOGs telecast wouldn't really do much harm to Olympic numbers. I mean what is a marquee event that usually happens in the middle WOG Sunday? The only one I can think of is an important US hockey prelim or the Ice Dancing finals. But if it's a Curling, Bobsled or Biathlon finals that Sunday evening, who cares? It's really NOT going to cut into the Olympic numbers much that night. And there's always DVR.

You don't send the entire National Football League overseas for a week just to try it, not when there's millions of dollars at stake. And again, doesn't it tell you something that they've stopped the American Bowl series completely after they used to have at least 2 games there every year for a while? Apparently this is part of Roger Goodell's international plans, to put a regular season game there (they've said they might add another in the near future) instead of preseason games there, which I think makes sense. You talk about it being unfair because teams are fighting for the playoffs.. football players routinely travel from coast to coast during the season, so it's not like going from the East coast to Europe is all that much further, especially when the rule is that teams always have an open week after the London game.

The NFL, as we know, has learned how to generate literally billions of dollars domestically. No, they'll never be that sort of powerhouse internationally, but so what. If they can sell out Wembley with little effort, clearly they know what they're doing. So what if they're not that big outside the United States. It's not worth losing the money they'd be sacrificing here to grow themselves elsewhere. I will bring up this point though that some big NFL fans think I'm nuts to bring up. There's been talk that with an 18-game regular season, they'd keep the start of the season on the same weekend and push the Super Bowl further into February. Which of course could mean going head-to-head with the Olympics. The NFL needs to tread carefully with that one. Obviously that's really bad news in the US and for NBComcast if that winds up being the case (ironically, the current rotation could theoretically have NBC in line for that Super Bowl), but if the NFL wants to maintain an International presence, they'd be wise to avoid the Olympics and the IOC.

Look the players have shot down the idea of a 18 game season it will never happen. The fans are calling death to the pre-season so that's where my idea came up. You don't have to send every team overseas in one week you don't have to send every team overseas. But another idea could be (for example) NFL network England or some thing like that. Broadcast your as many NFL regular season games as possible overseas hype up every game like they do in the U.S. but in the end I think there going to get most fans by getting them to watch the Super Bowl. Problem is the time zone of course so i'm not real sure how to make that work :wacko:

I think a SuperBowl (not that I care 1 way or another) in the middle Sunday of a WOGs telecast wouldn't really do much harm to Olympic numbers. I mean what is a marquee event that usually happens in the middle WOG Sunday? The only one I can think of is an important US hockey prelim or the Ice Dancing finals. But if it's a Curling, Bobsled or Biathlon finals that Sunday evening, who cares? It's really NOT going to cut into the Olympic numbers much that night. And there's always DVR.

I like that idea but an 18 game season will never happen the way they're handling concussions here in america won't allow it.

Look the players have shot down the idea of a 18 game season it will never happen. The fans are calling death to the pre-season so that's where my idea came up. You don't have to send every team overseas in one week you don't have to send every team overseas. But another idea could be (for example) NFL network England or some thing like that. Broadcast your as many NFL regular season games as possible overseas hype up every game like they do in the U.S. but in the end I think there going to get most fans by getting them to watch the Super Bowl. Problem is the time zone of course so i'm not real sure how to make that work :wacko:

Yea, here's the solution to that.. they don't. First off, fans aren't calling for the death of the preseason. That's coming from the season ticket holders who are tired of paying for those tickets. They'd like the preseason to get reduced or to disappear entirely, but that's not going to happen. It's sort of like the airline industry. Passengers hate all the fees the airlines have all universally added, but the airlines consider them a success because it's making them money. It's not unlike all those people who have made an Olympic sport out of complaining about NBC's coverage. You don't have to make people happy to make money. Those 2 things aren't as tied together as you'd like to think.

As for the International angle.. who cares if the NFL isn't making inroads into Europe or other places. They can't (and shouldn't) damage the product they have here in order to further their position Internationally. The NFL will never be a big deal outside the United States and the majority of those people watching games are American ex-pats trying to get a taste of home. As much as the league would like to have a presence overseas, I think they'll take their $9 billion and be pretty content with that.

Yea, here's the solution to that.. they don't. First off, fans aren't calling for the death of the preseason. That's coming from the season ticket holders who are tired of paying for those tickets. They'd like the preseason to get reduced or to disappear entirely, but that's not going to happen. It's sort of like the airline industry. Passengers hate all the fees the airlines have all universally added, but the airlines consider them a success because it's making them money. It's not unlike all those people who have made an Olympic sport out of complaining about NBC's coverage. You don't have to make people happy to make money. Those 2 things aren't as tied together as you'd like to think.

As for the International angle.. who cares if the NFL isn't making inroads into Europe or other places. They can't (and shouldn't) damage the product they have here in order to further their position Internationally. The NFL will never be a big deal outside the United States and the majority of those people watching games are American ex-pats trying to get a taste of home. As much as the league would like to have a presence overseas, I think they'll take their $9 billion and be pretty content with that.

Lol Quaker you don't need to expand the game overseas? Look at these numbers

2005 game held in mexico: 103,476 spectators.

2007 game held in London: 40,000 tickets sold withing 90 minutes

2009 game held in London: 84,254 spectators

If there selling out every game, every year they go outside the U.S. It's pretty foolish to sit back and say " We don't need to expand the game outside the U.S." How is it hurting the game? The game has gotten so BIG in the U.S. that playing 4 preseason games overseas and one regualr season game will hurt it? People are calling death to the preseason? Look in the stands who's there? Only the season ticket holders being forced into the game. Plus that 9 billion$$$ thing they run can become much more with adding buisness overseas. Your right the NFL doesn't need euro but euro offers alot of money if it catches on which I guess it is. if 30 countrys are playing the game. Even you would have to admit it's atleast worth the shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Blatter Boost for Beach Soccer Joining Rio 2016 Olympics

(WFI) Rio 2016 president Carlos Nuzman tells INSIDER that he welcomes FIFA president Sepp Blatter's push to get beach soccer on the Olympic programme, saying it would be one of the highlights of the Games.

Blatter and Brazil 2014 chief Ricardo Teixeira proposed the inclusion of the Brazilian sport made famous on the Copacabana and Ipanema beaches of Rio when they met with Nuzman ahead of the World Cup qualifying draw in the city on July 30.

The Olympic programme will be reviewed after the London 2012 Games. During the evaluation process by the IOC's programme commission, beach soccer could be considered for inclusion for Rio 2016. If it gains the approval of the IOC Executive Board, it would go to a vote at the IOC Session convening in Buenos Aires in 2013.

Despite Blatter's discussions with Nuzman, no proposal has yet been made to the IOC.

A proposal to take the idea to the IOC may go before the Oct. 20 to 21 FIFA Executive Committee meeting in Zurich.

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=34605

• 4 months later...

Believe it or not, but apparently these guys are quite serious about wanting Sheep Shearing as an Olympic sport!

:blink:

Shear hard work makes shearing a sport

With shearing sports backed by SPARC, Federated Farmers believes it has potential to become a demonstration sport at the Commonwealth Games, if not the Olympics. With the world championships to be held in Masterton in March, Federated Farmers points to the athleticism of new world record shearers, Ivan Scott and Kerri-Jo Te Huia.

“Ivan regained his world eight-hour solo lamb title by shearing 749 lambs; seven more than the previous world record. Shearing at Te Hape, near Benneydale, Kerri-Jo smashed the women’s eight-hour solo lamb shearing world record by shearing 507 lambs; 37 more than the previous record,” says Jeanette Maxwell, Federated Farmers Meat & Fibre chairperson.

“Shearers are not only an integral part of the wool’s value chain, their skill in producing high quality fleeces reminds our consumers that wool is not only natural, it is also the product of true craftsmanship and skill.

“Their work with farmers and everyone else involved with wool, is essential for us to get the best possible returns from this natural and renewable fibre.

“I can also testify to the physical effort shearing takes. People like Ivan Scott, Kerri-Jo Te Huia and our World Championships team are athletes who take it to another level.

“In 2008 it was mooted by Sports Shear Australia but surely, time has come to elevate shearing’s sporting status to the ultimate world stage. One way would be to make shearing a demonstration sport at a Commonwealth Games, if not, the Olympics itself.

“If we can achieve that goal it will not just elevate the status of shearing and shearers, it will promote the huge effort that goes into producing first sheep then the wool.

“Federated Farmers is also very pleased that the New Zealand Shearing Contractors Association has developed their ShearNZ programme, an industry led best practice programme to enhance the value of wool.

“The Federation has been working with the Association and looks forward to the publication of the finished document. It’s about partnership because we all share the need for wool to have a strong and sustainable future,” Mrs Maxwell concluded.

Scoop.co.nz

Can't resist a joke I heard recently.

Aussie: Back home, we shear our sheep, mate!

Kiwi: Shear! No way I'm shearing mine with you, bro!

Archived