Madrid 2020

Some weaknesses I can already see:

- Latin Games hosted back to back? Never has been done before.

Not that I'm a big advocate for Madrid, but what does this have to do with anything. We had back-to-back "Anglo" Games before, i.e. Atlanta 1996 & Sydney 2000. So I don't see what impediment this would be.

Plus, Rome also would technically fall into the "Latin" category. And before anyone says, well Italy is not the same type of "Latin", well neither is Brazil to Spain. They have a totally different culture & language, & are also on 2 different continents.

I just don't see this as a 'weakness', if you will, as neither here nor there.

Not that I'm a big advocate for Madrid, but what does this have to do with anything. We had back-to-back "Anglo" Games before, i.e. Atlanta 1996 & Sydney 2000. So I don't see what impediment this would be.

Plus, Rome also would technically fall into the "Latin" category. And before anyone says, well Italy is not the same type of "Latin", well neither is Brazil to Spain. They have a totally different culture & language, & are also on 2 different continents.

I just don't see this as a 'weakness', if you will, as neither here nor there.

Well, Madrid did use this as one of their talking points to return to Europe again for 2016. They said it would be a "Latin" Games, compared to the British. I don't really see this too much as a weakness, but they won't be able to use that argument IMO this time around.

Well, yeah, compared to Britain. They had to use something in order to contrast themselves to the preceding host, London, since the Spanish were already very handicapped on the continental rotation front. But, yeah, agreed. For this next cycle they don't really need that argument now.

Well, Madrid did use this as one of their talking points to return to Europe again for 2016. They said it would be a "Latin" Games, compared to the British.

Madrid used this angle to hold its basic "Latin" American support bloc in place (vs. the other Latin/South American power, Brazil. That was the only reason.

It can't use that pitch again now. I think their pitch has be an "economic impetus" angle especially if Tokyo isn't coming to the dance.

Madrid is, for me at least, one of the most beautiful cities I've been in, which include London, Paris, Barcelona, and Prague. There is so much natural beauty in both its urban parks (Retiro, Oeste) and peripheral parks (Casa de Campo, Madrid Rio(Manzanares)) as well as the surrounding vistas and areas (la sierra)

A litle bit of iconic Madrid...

Parque_del_Retiro_Nov2004%5B1%5D.jpg

teleferico-madrid-001.jpg

Templo-de-Debod.jpg

Plaza_de_Cibeles_%28Madrid%29_05.jpg

1.1238807340.madrid-a-beautiful-city.jpg

Templo-de-Debod.jpg

Don't they want African Olympics? Well, this is an ancient Egyptian temple given as a gift from Egypt to Spain. And Egyptian culture is also Africa! :lol:

Nice views of the westernmost part of the city up there...

Since the conquistadors era, Spain is widely related to both Latin America and Africa. Madrid 2020 would be a nice link between the first South American Games in 2016 and the likely first African Games in 2024. And "2020" is such a beautiful number :D

I like your banner athan!

Thanks! I like it too. It's taken from a logo designed by someone called Juan Hervás for a contest run by the Professional Association of Architects of Madrid back in December 2009 to encourage the city to bid again for 2020. It was the runner-up (the winning design was the one I use as my avatar).

a4elcolordeldeporte.png

The picture is fine, nothing really special though, but the script is amazing.

BTW, the logo depicts the Alcalá Gate, one of the monuments in Madrid that I like the most:

madrid-puerta-alcala.jpg

The marketing of the bid need and overhaul. Many key assets of Madrid are just not mentioned.

Having been to Madrid, the previous bids do not capture the essence (spelling) and vibe of the city.

PYC's 3rd attempt success was instrumental in Madrid announcing a bid.

I would suggest a longer lag time between conclusion of Winter Olympic bid and the deadline for the next Summer Games bids.

Athan, that logo blasts the winner out of the water. So evocative of Picasso, Miro, and other Spanish artists...would definitely give London 2012's logo a run for its money as something unique, quirky, and yet actually not questionable or (to many) hideous.

mmm... i want OG for 2020 but... i think this time population support will be so low... lets see what happen... maybe how Madrid has 80% built, they can call the bid as The most economic and efficient Bid jajajaja.

Hi im back and sorry for my fantastic english loool

Athan, that logo blasts the winner out of the water. So evocative of Picasso, Miro, and other Spanish artists...

Agree. At first I didn't like much how the little statues on top of the Gate were seen on the logo, but now the more I look at it, the more I like it. I wish it could be the official bid logo and that, if Madrid gets 2020, the Games logo was as good as this one.

mmm... i want OG for 2020 but... i think this time population support will be so low... lets see what happen...

Hello! Well, it's true internet polls don't show much popular support, but recent street-side surveys (which are the important ones) have revealed that 70-75% of the population still supports the bid.

Agree. At first I didn't like much how the little statues on top of the Gate were seen on the logo, but now the more I look at it, the more I like it. I wish it could be the official bid logo and that, if Madrid gets 2020, the Games logo was as good as this one.

Hello! Well, it's true internet polls don't show much popular support, but recent street-side surveys (which are the important ones) have revealed that 70-75% of the population still supports the bid.

sure... if i want surely many people want too hehehehehe.

You know, as I was coming home from working out in the pool tonight, there were some Flamenco Guitar buskers in the station at 59th/Lex on the NRQ platform. They were good. I've always enjoyed a good Flamenco performance and I started thinking, "You know, a Madrid Olympic Games with a Flamenco portion in the Opening Ceremonies is probably something I would really enjoy, especially if done really well.

Flamenco is originally an Andalusian dance, with more than likely some Moorish influence. So IDK if a Madrid Games would encompass this aspect in their O.C's, since they mainly just want to outdo the Catalonians so bad anyway. A Seville Ceremonies with Flamenco would make more sense.

Flamenco is originally an Andalusian dance, with more than likely some Moorish influence. So IDK if a Madrid Games would encompass this aspect in their O.C's, since they mainly just want to outdo the Catalonians so bad anyway. A Seville Ceremonies with Flamenco would make more sense.

Yeah but given that Madrid is the capital of Espana, personally It think they would included it. As a foreigner I think Flamenco=Spain, not Flamenco=only a certain part of Spain, you know? And they'd be showcasing all of Spain to the world (or at least, that's what they should be doing).

And yeah, there is definitely a Moorish influence in Flamenco.

Which is the real rub - would Madrid really want to repeat Flamenco in the OC again?

Why not? Who cares? I don't even remember that part of the '92 Opening Ceremonies, and I watched it all the way through. That was a long time ago, especially by 2020.

^Which would be all the more reason for Madrid NOT to do it. Since they're just mainly out to outdo Barcelona. They'd probably want to do something different & more original.

And OTO, I wouldn't necessarily say that a country HAS to cover every different aspect of their culture in an Opening Ceremonies. Did Atlanta's or Salt Lake's cover all parts of the U.S.? Not really. And I don't think that Beijing did either. And Sochi probably won't as well. It just depends on what the host country wants to focus on the most.