Madrid 2020

^ not sure what difference that makes?

I think that given Istanbul's unlikely to go up for 2024, and with Madrid's withdrawal - it will be refreshing to have a new fresh line up for cities for 2024. Hopefully a less maligned race.

Really excited for 2022 to start warming up. Can't wait to get behind a Munich bid.

• 8 months later...

British MEP alleges UK torpedoed Spain's 2020 Olympics' bid because of Gibraltar

The Liberal Democrat Member of the European Parliament made the statement during a debate on Gibraltar's Broadcasting Corporation, BC ahead of the EU election next Thursday. Sir Watson described how the British Government had drawn up a list of ways it could apply pressure on Spain to ease off at the border.

“As a result Madrid will not host the Olympic Games, it will go to Tokyo as a result of UK action,” he said. “We need far more things like that on that list.”

GBC news editor Stephen Neish pushed him on the point and asked: “Was that action by the UK a direct reprisal because of the restrictions by Spain?”

“Indeed I am told that PM Cameron actually said to the Spanish Prime Minister, ‘if you carry on with these border queues we will make sure you don’t get the Olympic Games’,” Sir Graham replied.

“And that I believe is what happened.”

Spain’s Olympic Committee, the COE, faced tough questioning by executives from the International Olympics Committee during its final Madrid 2020 pitch to become host Olympic city. A British IOC official was among those who raised questions over doping issues which had tainted Spanish sport in recent years.

But later a spokesman for the British Government dismissed Sir Graham’s claim. ‘Sir Graham Watson was speaking as an MEP, not as a member of Her Majesty’s Government,” the spokesman said.

“As has always been the practice, the UK government did not favor any of the three finalists over others, and there was absolutely no UK attempt to influence any of the bids.”

http://en.mercopress.com/2014/05/19/british-mep-alleges-uk-torpedoed-spain-s-2020-olympics-bid-because-of-gibraltar

I seriously doubt that Madrid's 2020 bid was derailed simply by what this article is entailing. Surely, such an issue wouldn't have helped, but the Spanish bid had many other major obstacles that made the IOC leery. I could only see this as merely a fly in the ointment.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

But later a spokesman for the British Government dismissed Sir Graham’s claim. ‘Sir Graham Watson was speaking as an MEP, not as a member of Her Majesty’s Government,” the spokesman said.

http://en.mercopress.com/2014/05/19/british-mep-alleges-uk-torpedoed-spain-s-2020-olympics-bid-because-of-gibraltar

Note the date. This was part of the 2014 European Parliament election campaign. In the ballot held on 22 May 2014, Watson lost his seat.

• 2 years later...

^^ That looks at least a few weeks out of date. Best place for latest photos is skyscrapercity forums. The roof structure is actually installed now, and the panelling being added. It still looks a big job to have it ready for next season though, I agree...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=662282&page=82

GhTLJcn5ya_femenino_wanda_metropolitano_

C_Ztw8RXcAIp_3N.jpg

Edited by Rob.

7 hours ago, Rob. said:

^^ That looks at least a few weeks out of date. Best place for latest photos is skyscrapercity forums. The roof structure is actually installed now, and the panelling being added. It still looks a big job to have it ready for next season though, I agree...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=662282&page=82

GhTLJcn5ya_femenino_wanda_metropolitano_

C_Ztw8RXcAIp_3N.jpg

What a beautiful stadium. And it'll be finished before Tokyo's stadium too lol. Speaking of which, what's the progress on that stadium looking like?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...