Madrid 2020

Many of those commentators say a lot of bullshit all the time and about all kind of topics, the tone of these "debates" is always similar. With one or two sensible people.

Not all reactions are like this.

For example, a columnist from El Mundo, the same newspaper that published the infamous 50 votes list: "Siempre es más fácil recurrir a la teoria de la conspiración y echar la culpa a los demás que reconocer los errores propios". (It's always easier to resort to the conspiracy theory and blame others than recognizing your own mistakes") http://elmundo.orbyt.es/2013/09/08/orbyt_en_elmundo/1378660948.html

As the columnist say, the behaviour of many in the Spanish media is not acceptable. It's always the same. Since Spain became a world power in Sports (tenis, formula one, World Cup title), what we get from Spanish Media is in part very arrogant. Mostly If you guys wins, you are the best in the universe, if you lose, it's always a theory of conspiration, injustice with the blessed people of Sparin, the royalty...

Brazilian learnt (not everybody) hard how to be graceful in loss and humnble in victories (despite some bullshit comments from President Lula, still, his charisma always saved him during stupid statements). Spanish media should rethink their behaviour towards victories and losses of Spanish sport.

I said "what we get from Spanish Media", because polemic statements always generate more buzz than polite and accurate ones, and I'm sure, lots of Spanish behave graceful.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Do never ever trust a Spanish televised debate. There are lots of sensationalism and everything is usually exaggerated. In spite of what media might say, I think most of Spaniards who supported the bid have taken the loss well. Perhaps there are complaints because Madrid was expected to get a few more votes, but nothing beyond that.

As I said before, if all the potential bidders we've been hearing of lately do bid, I don't think Madrid should go for 2024. The most likely scenario to me is that Paris will get 2024 (or Rome, but Paris will be a tough opponent), and that 2028 will be either for the United States or South Africa. If it's for the United States, South Africa will bid again for 2032 and win. If it's for South Africa, the United States might or might not want to try again (or might bid/host a Winter Games). So my conclusion is that Madrid's earliest realistic new attempt would be, depending on what the USA and Germany do, 2032 or 2036, with their main opponents probably being the European capital not getting 2024, Canada (if the USA doesn't host the Summer Games) and China.

• Like 2

Do never ever trust a Spanish televised debate. There are lots of sensationalism and everything is usually exaggerated. In spite of what media might say, I think most of Spaniards who supported the bid have taken the loss well. Perhaps there are complaints because Madrid was expected to get a few more votes, but nothing beyond that.

As I said before, if all the potential bidders we've been hearing of lately do bid, I don't think Madrid should go for 2024. The most likely scenario to me is that Paris will get 2024 (or Rome, but Paris will be a tough opponent), and that 2028 will be either for the United States or South Africa. If it's for the United States, South Africa will bid again for 2032 and win. If it's for South Africa, the United States might or might not want to try again (or might bid/host a Winter Games). So my conclusion is that Madrid's earliest realistic new attempt would be, depending on what the USA and Germany do, 2032 or 2036, with their main opponents probably being the European capital not getting 2024, Canada (if the USA doesn't host the Summer Games) and China.

I must agree media is not a way do judge a country. But, much of we got from other countries comes from the media.

I had a big discussion with Athensfan about blurred vision International Media insist on put about Brazil. And somehow, now, I'm in the other side of the discussion.

The difference is: about Brazil, my criticism is about the media outside Brazil, and in this case my criticism is about the media of Spain. Basically, the same: the media from rich countries.

I'm sure most of regular Spaniards are not jerks like some in the video, but, all we get from the Spanish media about Sports have been very arrogant lately. Indeed, more than Argentinian sports media.

And, since Media generates more buzz than regular citizens, these kind of comments are not helping a future Spanish bid, whenever it happens.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Great analysis - this is how I think things will play out too.

Following Japan 2020 - I see the most likely SOG host nations between 2024-32 as being France then either South Africa/USA for the remaining two.

Then 2036/40 would be a good time for a Madrid bid. Spain would then be going for its second Olympics after 40 to 44 years since 1992 --- the same amount of time Australia waited between 1956 and 2000. With a strong bid, Madrid would certainly do well. However, by this stage it would very likely be coming up against a possible second Chinese bid (Shanghai very likely) or even somewhere like Delhi or Bangkok - which by 2030s might have developed to a reasonable level to host a solid Olympics. Heck - by then Madrid might even come up against Melbourne or Brisbane. Who knows. But I'm sure it would have an infinitely superior chance over the last decade of disappointment.

In short, Madrid (really just the Castilians) just wanted too much too soon; even taking advantage of the time that JAS was still alive. Oh well, it was a bitter lesson to learn.

It was a lot too soon. Can you imagine if Birmingham had hosted the 1992 Olympics, and London had attempted to land the Olympics over the past 10 years? Even they wouldn't be successful.

While less extreme, I think a certain Canadian city should take not of the Madrid experience.

*should take note

• Like 1

All Olympic bids are just unpredictable, in this case if the Istanbul unrest was a week before the election and a nuclear leak in Tokyo the day before as well, maybe we would be talking of Madrid 2020 today!

This however, is a too desperate and expensive technique to get the Olympics "try until you are at the correct point at the correct time as the only viable alternative".

On the other hand if there was zero chance for them to get it why were they shortlisted to beggin with?

On the other hand if there was zero chance for them to get it why were they shortlisted to beggin with?

Simple - for a couple of reasons. One, an insurance policy. And two, after Rome withdrawing the day before 2020 intentions were due to the IOC, all that they were left with then for other alternatives were Doha & Baku. Which the IOC weren't interested with in the least.

So then that only left three cities. The IOC wanted more than just a two-city race to make things much more interesting, & which in a way they kinda were. And even then, many people were still saying that the 2020 race was "boring". Can you imagine how much more boring it would've been with only two cities then.

It's a lot like the 2018 race was. Annecy wasn't really given a chance at all. Yet the IOC still allowed them to continue. Like in that scenario too, if there had been other more attractive options on the table, Annecy more than likely might've not been let to go on. Especially when the IOC preliminary evaluation told them that their initial concept was pretty much sub-par. I think that same parallel could've been applied to 2020 as well.

• Like 1

Yeah, even with Rome, Madrid likely still would've been in. But had 2020 actually materialized into the heavy coveted race like it was intially predicted four years ago, then it's very likely that would not have been the case, especially with all of the bids baggage. Let's not forget how Istanbul made the 2008 short-list, but was then overlooked for 2012 due to many high-caliber cities that showed up for that race.

Yeah, even with Rome, Madrid likely still would've been in. But had 2020 actually materialized into the heavy coveted race like it was intially predicted four years ago, then it's very likely that would not have been the case, especially with all of the bids baggage. Let's not forget how Istanbul made the 2008 short-list, but was then overlooked for 2012 due to many high-caliber cities that showed up for that race.

And let's not forget Madrid was in that race too!

I think it would've had to have been an extremely strong field - stronger than 2012 - for Madrid to not to be shortlisted. Possible, but very improbable. Basically Canada, the US, Rome, Paris and Tokyo would all needed to have bid for Madrid to slip off the list!

And in those circumstances, I don't think Istanbul would've made the cut either.

Great analysis - this is how I think things will play out too.

Following Japan 2020 - I see the most likely SOG host nations between 2024-32 as being France

Lol That is very much starting to sound like an obsession....

If you understand French:

http://www.bfmtv.com/sport/drut-france-candidate-aux-jeux-faut-pas-rever-597330.html (talks with Guy Drut, IOC member of France)

http://www.huffingtonpost.fr/claude-droussent/jeux-olympiques-paris-2024_b_3880012.html

And let's not forget Madrid was in that race too!

I think it would've had to have been an extremely strong field - stronger than 2012 - for Madrid to not to be shortlisted. Possible, but very improbable. Basically Canada, the US, Rome, Paris and Tokyo would all needed to have bid for Madrid to slip off the list!

And in those circumstances, I don't think Istanbul would've made the cut either.

And also add South Africa to that busy list, & they would've been done for.

Lol That is very much starting to sound like an obsession....

If you understand French:

http://www.bfmtv.com/sport/drut-france-candidate-aux-jeux-faut-pas-rever-597330.html (talks with Guy Drut, IOC member of France)

http://www.huffingtonpost.fr/claude-droussent/jeux-olympiques-paris-2024_b_3880012.html

You're right, the idea of Paris 2024 seems to attract everybody but the French.

In any case, if it's not Paris, it's probably going to be Rome or anywhere else in Europe, so things wouldn't change much in terms of continental rotation.

Yes, seems definitive

Botella: “Madrid no debe buscar la celebración de los Juegos de 2024”
La alcaldesa comparece arropada por Sáenz de Santamaría, Gallardón, Rato, Zaplana y Aguirre Promete que ningún proyecto del sueño olímpico "quedará en el aire" Reafirma su "compromiso personal y político" con Madrid

"Creo que en este momento la carrera olímpica ya nos ha proporcionado todos los beneficios que podemos esperar de ella en los próximos años. Y creo que, por tanto, Madrid no debe buscar la celebración de los Juegos de 2024", ha declarado esta mañana la alcaldesa de Madrid, Ana Botella, en su primera comparecencia pública tras su regreso a España desde Buenos Aires cinco días después del fiasco olímpico, informa Bruno G. Gallo. Con estas palabras, Botella ha despejado las dudas sobre el posicionamiento del Ayuntamiento tras la caída en primera ronda ante Estambul y la derrota final ante Tokio.

La alcaldesa ha explicado que ya ha comunicado al Rey y al presidente del Gobierno, Mariano Rajoy, que Madrid no debe intentar una cuarta carrera olímpica consecutiva, la quinta en total, opinión que también ha explicado al líder de la oposición en el Ayuntamiento de Madrid, Jaime Lissavetzky, que ayer dijo que no iba a pedir la dimisión de Botella por la derrota y que ya avanzó que no estaba a favor de un nuevo intento. Sin embargo, la decisión debe tomarse dentro de dos años y Botella nada ha dicho sobre si piensa presentarse a las elecciones municipales. Sí ha prometido que ningún proyecto del sueño olímpico "quedará en el aire", como La Peineta y el Centro Acuático.

En su discurso, ha agradecido su trabajo a los miembros de la candidatura y ha remarcado que reafirma su "compromiso personal y político" con la ciudad de Madrid. Se trata de un desayuno informativo, organizado por el Fórum Europa en el hotel Ritz, que ha arrancado a las nueve de la mañana y en el que está arropada por numerosos dirigentes políticos y miembros de su partido, entre ellos la vicepresidenta, Soraya Sáenz de Santamaría. Han acudido también el ministro de Justicia y predecesor en el cargo, Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón, el presidente del Congreso, Jesús Posada, los exministros de Economía y Trabajo Eduardo Zaplana, y la presidenta del PP de Madrid, Esperanza Aguirre.

What, no 4th consecutive, futile bid! How boring would that make the 2024 race. :blink::P

Finally a proof of intelligence inside the Castillian team. I hope they keep their word, mostly because this money will be more useful in other neccesities. With Paris, Rome and Berlin as a potential cities looking another SOG, will be difficult for Madrid in a short time.

Add a potential South Africa to that list, too.

Does Madrid suffer from not being as renowned as Barcelona? Is Madrid the Manchester to Barcelona's London?

No. Not at all.

But Madrid 2012, 2016, 2020 is like Toronto's bid for 1996 and then bidding for 2000 and 2004 all just 20-30 years after Montreal 1976. Or if Sydney had put in bids for 1976, 1980 or 1984 after Melbourne 1956. A good potential host of a future Olympics, but emphasis on the word future. More time needs to pass. Just as Sydney 2000 proved.

Madrid is wise to pull out of the race for 2024.