Madrid 2020

If u don't want other posters to extrapolate their own reactions to other posts/photos, then DON'T post them and DON'T tell people how far they should react or NOT react. I'm not under your jurisdiction, ya know. ;)

You are the one who is saying what i pretended with that photo. I'm just telling you i only though on Blanco and messi with a flag,don't make a drama out of this photo please -.-

But why do it on the cheap when there are other options that propose real (honest) figures that recognise the Olympics for what it is - a big, expensive extravaganza. Bottom line: Turkey and Japan are in a position to do this. Spain is not. They admit this through their no frills bid. I know it has been said over and over, but its almost like Madrid is behaving has if it HAS to host the 2020 Games under duress.

I think you either go hard or not at all. I don't see why the Olympic movement should suffer a lower volume event in 2020 just because some ridiculous European country can't balance its books. I'd be furious if Australia was in such deep turmoil and we were attempting something like the Olympics (in fact, an idea like that wouldn't even get up now, and we are in a substantially stronger economic position than Spain)

Ridiculous?SPAIN HAS A GLORIOUS HISTORY, DOMINATED THE SEAS FOR SEVERAL CENTURIES AND DISCOVERING NEW LAND, INCLUDING AUSTRALIA

This is a google translate, according to it Madrid won;t be back for 2024.

Madrid has reawakened the Olympic dream. And again has proven to be one nightmare . This time has not spent the final stage of the election process to fall off Istanbul in the first round of voting held in Buenos Aires. In 12 years Madrid has crashed three times before the wall of the IOC . An organism that has been recycled only in recent years and, consequently, already have a clear picture of the application well armed Spanish.

This same sense of divorce was reflected Saturday in Madrid 2020 makers, who congratulated because they have questions about the country's economy, but regretted that the Operation Puerto doping and follow as a shadow hovering elongated on its proposal despite Doping Act recently passed, fully adapted to the Global Code of Doping Agency (WADA).

But the choice of Tokyo leaves open the possibility that a European capital hosts the 2024 appointment Would you agree recur?

Olympic Champion in Barlona 92 Fermin Cacho, told the Sixth, is clear. "With the International Olympic Committee, no."

Less dramatic has been the minister of education and sports. José Ignacio Wert has not qualified but unjust removal of "unexpected" because the bid was "no hope euphoria but we did not expect to stay out on the first ballot." "At the time in which to produce a tie with Istanbul were doomed because voters Tokyo wanted to have in the end to Istanbul, a weaker opponent." Asked about the candidacy of 2024, Wert has assured that the Government will continue to support the Olympic sport and will fight if Madrid wants to organize the Games. "

Gallardón, the great defender of the nomination

The Madrid Olympic dream, until today, had name. Alberto Ruiz Gallardón had proposed as mayor of Madrid. Both in the capital was changed slogan 'I have a hunch' to 'I have a Cabezonada'. With him at City Hall the answer would be yes. But become Minister, the office is occupied Ana Botella and she will have to decide if Madrid still insists. A mayor who has neither the power nor the social support of his predecessor.

In fact continuity front of City Hall has been linked directly to the success of Madrid 2020. With the shattered dream, the chances of Ana Botella for re-election fade and the 2024 Madrid commitment is in the air.

First reactions

The mayor, for now, has not resolved the mystery. Minutes after the setback has recognized his "sadness" at the defeat but has looked to the future to ensure that the city continues to have "many challenges to face."

Equally cryptic Prince Philip has been who has encouraged digest "little setback" which meant that Madrid 2020 fell the first to "bounce back, continue to promote the sport and move on, there is no other".

One of the arguments used to attack the illusions of Madrid 2020 has been the future candidacy of Paris for 2024. And the same argument becomes expensive ballast to think back to try the Olympic dream as there is a general theory that France is preparing a mega project to organize the Games back one hundred years later.

Leer más: http://www.lavanguardia.com/local/madrid/20130907/54380123957/madrid-2020-volvera-intentar-2024.html#ixzz2eGGcEK3h
Síguenos en: https://twitter.com/@LaVanguardia | http://facebook.com/LaVanguardia

Ridiculous?SPAIN HAS A GLORIOUS HISTORY, DOMINATED THE SEAS FOR SEVERAL CENTURIES AND DISCOVERING NEW LAND, INCLUDING AUSTRALIA

Yes, and like other European powers Spain is the cause for much of the problems faced by the developing world today. That is not something to be proud of.

But yes, Spain does have a beautiful history - the Barcelona 1992 Olympics Opening captured that quite well. It's available on YouTube.

Meanwhile Nadal is a contributor to arguably the most arrogant and pig-headed Olympic bid in history:

"We feel that we deserve it."

"I felt that after a lot of years working, I don't know if it's 100% fair that we go out at the first qualification when our opponents haven't been in that position as many times."

See - this demonstrates how little these people even know or understand/respect about their opponents. They can't even take the time to try to understand the context of this race which has caused Madrid to bow out. THIS WAS ISTANBUL'S FIFTH BID - from a country that had never hosted before. Not that it is a reason to award a city the Olympics.

The only thing Madrid has earned is suffering defeat. They're prima donnas as much as they're sore losers.

• Like 1

Serves them right for colluding with RIo in ousting Chicago on the first round 4 years ago. What goes around; comes around.

And the Madrilenos have only themselves to blame. Even as early as the 2012 race, old man Samaranch, the ONE person on earth who knew the organization inside out, told them that 2012 was TOOOOOOOOO early for another Olympics Games. No, the Castilians pushed his hand for Madrid to bid. Then in 2009, they again failed to listen to him. And still like the bulls, they proceeded to get in deeper a 3rd time. I mean they should just look in the mirror and they have the answer. :rolleyes: Ay caramba!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

This is a google translate, according to it Madrid won;t be back for 2024.

From the very beginning it was said Madrid 2020 was going to be the last try. Coming from Spanish politicians you can never trust it 100%, but just as I was almost sure from the moment Rio got 2016 that Madrid was going to try for 2020, this time I think there won't be Madrid 2024. Having perseverance and ambition is good, but one has to know when to bid, it is worthless to keep bidding and bidding randomly and become another Detroit (also applicable to Istanbul).

I'll support Madrid whenever they decide to try again, but perhaps the best thing to do now is to let Europe, Africa and America host the next Olympic cycles and, depending on how things go and which hosts are chosen, bid for 2032 or 2036.

Having perseverance and ambition is good, but one has to know when to bid, it is worthless to keep bidding and bidding randomly and become another Detroit (also applicable to Istanbul).

But Madrid definitely hasn't subscribed to this idea. If they did, even slightly, 2020 would have been there first bid and they would have never wasted time, energy and money on 2012/16.

In fact, they may have faired better for 2020 of it was their first bid. I truly believe the IOC might have started to become fatigued by their persistence.

• Like 1

There's perseverance and then there is pure stubborn headedness...

Madrid began bidding too soon after Barcelona for 2012. By now they had become jaded in the eyes of the IOC and the timing was still far from optimal. In an ideal world they would have sat out at least on two of their three attempts and then began bidding again in a better economic situation maybe for 2024/28 and eventually grabbing the Games in the 2030's.

• Like 2

^ Spot on.

They jumped the gun too early. I think 40 years is probably the most reasonable benchmark for most, if not all countries. Even the USA is increasingly looking like it may have to wait up to 40 years between 1996 and its next SOG.

My own country of Australia, for instance, was incredibly lucky to have got the 2000 Olympics 44 years after the Melbourne Olympics. I think that timing was just about right for us - any sooner would have been cutting it too fine.

Simply put - Spain was asking for too much.

• Like 1

Simply put - Spain was asking for too much.

Exactly. And there's also a self-delusional factor at work here. There is a poster here who works in the IOC inner circles and let slip once before that "...the Spaniards are well -liked within the IOC." That may have been or might still be true....but it does not translate into votes at the crucial moment.

• Like 1

An online poll in a Spanish sports paper (Marca) shows almost 80% of voters don't want Madrid to try for 2024. Can't blame them, it's the expected reaction one day after a third consecutive disappointment.

In that same paper, they quote El Moutawakel: "Spain should invest in matters more important than the Olympics". Ouch.

• Like 1

Madrid, at the very least, should've refrained from 2016, like Istanbul did. Bidding in a race where the preceding Games were already in Europe (London 2012) was just futile. And it also goes to show that "momentum" that everyone was talking about after Madrid "aced" their presentation back in July in Lausaunne, was just all talk & it was all for show really. As the old saying goes, "it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings!"

Now, they need to wait longer, regardless. They need to improve their situation, come up with a much better narrative, then come back sometime in the 2030's.

In that same paper, they quote El Moutawakel: "Spain should invest in matters more important than the Olympics". Ouch.

Nawal must "hate" Spain then, if she's "viciously attacking, despising & criticizing" Madrid! ^_^

• Like 1

I would much prefer the olympics, but I think Spain should bid for the UEFA Euro 2024 instead. We have the stadia, and the last time we hosted a big football tournament was the WC in 1982. Since then Italy had the 1990 WC, England had the 1996 Euro, France had the 1998 WC and 2016 Euro and Germany had the 2006 WC.

We can't know yet if 2024 would have been a good time for Madrid to bid. Maybe, then again maybe not if their economy doesn't improve and there are bids from South Africa and some major European capitals. 2020 was a weak race and thus a good chance for Madrid. I agree that 2016 was a ridiculous time to bid and finishing second gave the Spanish a false hope. I guess three failed bids with no hopes to win has worn out Madrid in IOC's view and now they must wait at least a couple of bid cycles before coming back again with a fresh image.

• Like 1

We can't know yet if 2024 would have been a good time for Madrid to bid. Maybe, then again maybe not if their economy doesn't improve and there are bids from South Africa and some major European capitals. 2020 was a weak race and thus a good chance for Madrid. I agree that 2016 was a ridiculous time to bid and finishing second gave the Spanish a false hope. I guess three failed bids with no hopes to win has worn out Madrid in IOC's view and now they must wait at least a couple of bid cycles before coming back again with a fresh image.

You could tell how lazy they got when they used sandels for a logo.

I would much prefer the olympics, but I think Spain should bid for the UEFA Euro 2024 instead. We have the stadia, and the last time we hosted a big football tournament was the WC in 1982. Since then Italy had the 1990 WC, England had the 1996 Euro, France had the 1998 WC and 2016 Euro and Germany had the 2006 WC.

Don't ask us to join, this time, please. You can do it on your own. :P;)

Why not some World Cup for 2026? Spain would be a fantastic host country. Now-a-days, Spain is one of the meccas of football.

As long as Madrid has some type of big sporting event that shuts them up I'm happy.

hahahaha

If Madrid bids for 2024, we can give them the title of "stubbornmost city in the planet"... With these old boys in IOC, it's very clear, they don't want Madrid.

Wait a bit and try again for 2030 decades. Madrid has everything to host, but not now...

Danny, under the current rotation policy Spain can't bid for 2026 WC. It would make a fantastic host though, even better than England in my opinion. Euro's would be nice too, and easily reachable if Spain only bid for them. Everything is mostly in place, only some minor tweaks here and there.

Danny, under the current rotation policy Spain can't bid for 2026 WC. It would make a fantastic host though, even better than England in my opinion. Euro's would be nice too, and easily reachable if Spain only bid for them. Everything is mostly in place, only some minor tweaks here and there.

You're right, I forgot this, Russia is UEFA.

Still, Spain can be a nice host of World Cup in a near future, but...

Spaniards must be better with their comments after losing bids...

Again (like 2016), they are claiming "injustice, IOC is pure bribery, lack of respect with the city"... This is why I got a bit happy seeing them been eliminated first. To win, you must learn how to lose first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1RQhdEsOIE (a program from Spanish TV with a lot of madrileños saying a lot of bullshit after the news of Madrid been eliminated).

"We were treated like a third world country"...

"Our bid was almost perfect"

"Our presentation was fantastic"

"We had almost all venues ready"

"It was a big injustice with us, but, whatever, Madrid can be the world cultural capital, yes we can do it".

"It's amazing we lost to a country with no stable social condition like Turkey"

Must be said, one of the guys said a lot of true things, but the others, gosh...

I remember when Rio was eliminated for 2004 and 2012. Everybody was sad, but the message was: "let's try again, let's try the PanAms first, let's face the fact: we didn't had a good bid", "we need to learn how bid process works"...

This attitude from spaniards annoys me.

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

You're right, I forgot this, Russia is UEFA.

Still, Spain can be a nice host of World Cup in a near future, but...

Spaniards must be better with their comments after losing bids...

Again (like 2016), they are claiming "injustice, IOC is pure bribery, lack of respect with the city"... This is why I got a bit happy seeing them been eliminated first. To win, you must learn how to lose first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1RQhdEsOIE (a program from Spanish TV with a lot of madrileños saying a lot of bullshit after the news of Madrid been eliminated).

"We were treated like a third world country"...

"Our bid was almost perfect"

"Our presentation was fantastic"

"We had almost all venues ready"

"It was a big injustice with us, but, whatever, Madrid can be the world cultural capital, yes we can do it".

"It's amazing we lost to a country with no stable social condition like Turkey"

Must be said, one of the guys said a lot of true things, but the others, gosh...

Many of those commentators say a lot of bullshit all the time and about all kind of topics, the tone of these "debates" is always similar. With one or two sensible people.

Not all reactions are like this.

For example, a columnist from El Mundo, the same newspaper that published the infamous 50 votes list: "Siempre es más fácil recurrir a la teoria de la conspiración y echar la culpa a los demás que reconocer los errores propios". (It's always easier to resort to the conspiracy theory and blame others than recognizing your own mistakes") http://elmundo.orbyt.es/2013/09/08/orbyt_en_elmundo/1378660948.html

• Like 1