Madrid 2020

But why do it on the cheap when there are other options that propose real (honest) figures that recognise the Olympics for what it is - a big, expensive extravaganza. Bottom line: Turkey and Japan are in a position to do this. Spain is not. They admit this through their no frills bid. I know it has been said over and over, but its almost like Madrid is behaving has if it HAS to host the 2020 Games under duress.

I think you either go hard or not at all. I don't see why the Olympic movement should suffer a lower volume event in 2020 just because some ridiculous European country can't balance its books. I'd be furious if Australia was in such deep turmoil and we were attempting something like the Olympics (in fact, an idea like that wouldn't even get up now, and we are in a substantially stronger economic position than Spain)

But if you had been bidding for 2 previous cycles and gone forward with investment in building 80% of the required venues as outlined in your previous bids…and had just seen PC2018 win big possibly because of their persistence and willingness to go 3 in a row then you might say….”We gotta go all in, what’s a strategy that can work for the current times that also fits within some larger narrative of the IOC? What about responsible spending? After Athens, Beijing and Sochi it’s the right thing to do, and the IOC might think so too!”

and don't forget you did great in the last vote and also in the one before!

I dont think ba pit those flags. Its probably like little spain on ba.

If they did, they should know better.

But if you had been bidding for 2 previous cycles and gone forward with investment in building 80% of the required venues as outlined in your previous bids…and had just seen PC2018 win big possibly because of their persistence and willingness to go 3 in a row then you might say….”We gotta go all in, what’s a strategy that can work for the current times that also fits within some larger narrative of the IOC? What about responsible spending? After Athens, Beijing and Sochi it’s the right thing to do, and the IOC might think so too!”

As I said earlier, I agree that it's not a bad pitch to make, but Madrid spoiled it with estimating their budget far too low.

Also, I still shake my head and wonder, if so much of their infrastructure is already in place, what's there to do that will stimulate their economy so much further?

Also, I still shake my head and wonder, if so much of their infrastructure is already in place, what's there to do that will stimulate their economy so much further?

This question of the Madrid bid feels like it should be attached to the philosophical dinosaur. Truly doesn't make sense. Economic stimulus and jobs comes from SPENDING to BUILD. If there is nothing to build, then where is the stimulus? They surely can't rely simply on the five week period in 2020, can they? It is so much more than that.

philosophical_dinosaur_by_hoodedwonder10

That might be their mistake in trying to make that kind of parallel. Bcuz two BIG differences between Madrid & PyeongChang. For starters, South Korea isn't/wasn't mired in a tumultuous economic state, which is nearing a staggering 30% in Spain. And secondly, PyeongChang has/had a COMPELLING narrative to take the Winter Olympics for the first time to mainland Asia. All Madrid has is "we're the only major European capital never to have hosted the Games" cry me a river mantra. I've always said though, that if Spain would focus on a Winter bid instead (which would be cheaper TBW) they would have much more of a better case in winning those.

As far as the extravagant spending of Sochi & Beijing, NONE of the 2020 bidders are proposing as such. So I don't know what you're trying to get at. Tokyo's budget is just over double that of Madrid, & which is a more realistic figure than the meager $1.9 Billion that the Spanish are proposing. Their low-ball figure is bound to escalate anyway. And then there goes their "fiscally responsible" Games plan. And while Istanbul's would be the most expensive outta the three, it still pales in comparison to Beijing & Sochi.

I wouldn't call remaining stagnant at 32 votes in both those previous races as "did great".

But why do it on the cheap when there are other options that propose real (honest) figures that recognise the Olympics for what it is - a big, expensive extravaganza. Bottom line: Turkey and Japan are in a position to do this. Spain is not. They admit this through their no frills bid. I know it has been said over and over, but its almost like Madrid is behaving has if it HAS to host the 2020 Games under duress.I think you either go hard or not at all. I don't see why the Olympic movement should suffer a lower volume event in 2020 just because some ridiculous European country can't balance its books. I'd be furious if Australia was in such deep turmoil and we were attempting something like the Olympics (in fact, an idea like that wouldn't even get up now, and we are in a substantially stronger economic position than Spain)

'Ridiculous European country'? Why do you need to be so rude? Not a single Madrid supporter has written such bad words for either Turkey or Japan... It is offensive and makes me feel sad

'Ridiculous European country'? Why do you need to be so rude? Not a single Madrid supporter has written such bad words for either Turkey or Japan... It is offensive and makes me feel sad

Ahhhh false false false.

Most of the trolling of the past 2 weeks have been from Madrid supporters Im afraid. :(

Wow, it seems a fews Spaniards who are posting here are arrogant and sometimes say non-sense facts. I remember the same comments against London and Rio coming from them. Hopefully once the host city is elected this saturday (and I expect Madrid not to win), some people swallow their pride spend more money in vain during the 2024 race against more interesting cities (above all the ones coming from Africa).

It's still interesting in its own right too. For the Barcelona star to support the city of his team's hated rival. But I suppose a Madrid Olympics would be good for all Spaniards.

Agree, I mean that by posting that picture i didn't mean that it would help Madrid to get votes, as Baron said. But yes, i think it will be good for all of us, in fact FC Barcelona's president (Sandro Rosell) and Barcelona's Mayor ( Trias), have showed their support to the bid. And as i said in other post, Pau Gasol, Ona Carbonell, or MIreia del Monte ( catalans) will also be there in Buenos aires