Madrid 2020

I don't know how funny it is. Now that I re-read that post it's a bit harsh. I shouldn't be unkind, BR, and I am sorry for that.

It's fine. I have been very flip flop pity in my comments as reading through them has shown.

Why all the hate towards Madrid? This is one of their best bids that they have put forth and they have a nice shot at getting the games. At this point I think it's neck and neck and open fields. It could go to anyone.

Good bid or not I think Madrid has too many negatives against them. You fail to mention the European cities that have recently said they would bid if Tokyo won.

It's fine. I have been very flip flop pity in my comments as reading through them has shown.

Good bid or not I think Madrid has too many negatives against them. You fail to mention the European cities that have recently said they would bid if Tokyo won.

While it's possible for Madrid to loose some votes based on Rome's announcement I do not think it will be significant in voting Madrid out.

While it's possible for Madrid to loose some votes based on Rome's announcement I do not think it will be significant in voting Madrid out.

It's not just Rome though, there's strong reason to suspect we'll get a bunch of Euro bidders, including Paris, if Madrid misses out.

It's not just Rome though, there's strong reason to suspect we'll get a bunch of Euro bidders, including Paris, if Madrid misses out.

At this point though it's pure speculation. Yet if Madrid misses out I hope Paris or Rome bids for 2024. Allow Spain to create a stronger more unified bid I guess.

Buenos Aires, Aug 19 (EFE). 'Buenos Aires with Madrid'

The fourth edition of the 'marathon' Hispanic Argentina was held today for the streets of Buenos Aires and, on this occasion, had the theme "Buenos Aires runs for Madrid 2020."

With the organization of the Argentina’s Association of Hispanic Professionals (FFP), and with the support of the Embassy of Spain and the Government of the City of Buenos Aires, the marathon gathered more than 1,500 people in the two specialties: Ten and five kilometers.

The event, which took its point of departure the traditional Plaza de Mayo, was won by Oscar Cabral with a time of 31:18, while Juan Dominguez (32:44) and Sebastian Miguel (35:51) completed the podium.

http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/noticias/aires-corri%C3%B3-apoyo-candidatura-madrid-2020-145430598.html

Buenos Aires, Aug 19 (EFE). 'Buenos Aires with Madrid'

The fourth edition of the 'marathon' Hispanic Argentina was held today for the streets of Buenos Aires and, on this occasion, had the theme "Buenos Aires runs for Madrid 2020."

With the organization of the Argentina’s Association of Hispanic Professionals (FFP), and with the support of the Embassy of Spain and the Government of the City of Buenos Aires, the marathon gathered more than 1,500 people in the two specialties: Ten and five kilometers.

The event, which took its point of departure the traditional Plaza de Mayo, was won by Oscar Cabral with a time of 31:18, while Juan Dominguez (32:44) and Sebastian Miguel (35:51) completed the podium.

http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/noticias/aires-corri%C3%B3-apoyo-candidatura-madrid-2020-145430598.html

/\/\ Well, that's wrong. As the host city for the IOC Session, Buenos AIres has to stay neutral. That's why they picked a city in a continent that's NOT running...so hopefully, the atmosphere will be neutral. They could pull the plug on BA for being partisan!!

Shift the vote to Gibraltar.

But Gibraltar's in Europe:

As the host city for the IOC Session, Buenos AIres has to stay neutral. That's why they picked a city in a continent that's NOT running...so hopefully, the atmosphere will be neutral.

Maybe somewhere in Africa would be best, like Ceuta or Melilla.

You guys are too funny. Like Buenos Aires could change the vote of the IOC members. I understand that as the host city for the election it is not nice to support one city, but it is obvious that if they support any of the three bids, it will be Madrid.

And I dont understand what Gibraltar or other places like Ceuta or Melilla have to do with all this.

I guess that when people can´t find anything to criticize, they look for political or polemic things to talk about.

And wait they will have to do.

Get in line. Next European stop- Paris!

I beg your pardon? As far as I'm concerned, Paris quit the line because they were arrogantly offended. IOC doesn't care about their own ideas of scheduling... I'm so, so tired about the world having to stop its turning because Paris feels hurt...

I beg your pardon? As far as I'm concerned, Paris quit the line because they were arrogantly offended. IOC doesn't care about their own ideas of scheduling... I'm so, so tired about the world having to stop its turning because Paris feels hurt...

Paris is the capitol of the world, not a single man dies without ever seeing Paris. For the Olympics to not go there is a crime on all cities. One of the main reasons the 2012 bid failed was due to the fact that Paris played it too safe...they have learned their lesson.

• Like 1

/\/\ Well, that's wrong. As the host city for the IOC Session, Buenos AIres has to stay neutral. That's why they picked a city in a continent that's NOT running...so hopefully, the atmosphere will be neutral. They could pull the plug on BA for being partisan!!

This is only a handful of people; it's not like city officials or the 2018 YOGC preaching that they want Madrid to win; but only some citizens.

Copenhagen 2009? Madrid was bidding.

Whoever though that Buenos Aires could stay neutral instead of supporting Madrid must be crazy. In fact the marathon is not the first time they show their support:

The 'Club deportivo Español', a football team of Buenos Aires, shows its support to Madrid 2020 by including its logo in their equipation.

http://www.theyarenews.com/2013/4/18/argentina.-club-deportivo-espanol-apoyo-candidatura-madrid-2020-8973.asp

This one is from today: 'The Ibero-A.merican Youth Organization shows its public support to Madrid 2020'

http://www.europapress.es/madrid/noticia-organizacion-iberoamericana-juventud-muestra-apoyo-candidatura-madrilena-20130819171401.html

'Buenos Aires Governor shows its support to Madrid 2020'

Our history roots and affection, are clear reasons for me to join the candidature'

http://www.diariolibre.com/deportes/2013/06/21/i389421_gobernador-provincia-buenos-aires-apoya-madrid-2020.html

You don't need to go out form Argentina! There you have the Falkland Islands :D:D

However the Senkaku Islands, or the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus, could also be good options :P

Copenhagen 2009? Madrid was bidding.

True; but the Danes and the Spaniards have very little in common. It's not like between the Belgians & Spain. (Once in a while though, especially in a Euro-heavy member club, one candidate will slip thru. But for the most part though, recently, they've tried to pick a Session city which is another continent (therefore presumably neutral) which has no representative running.

Athlete Ally Begins Social Media Campaign, ChooseMadrid, To Protect Gay Athletes In 2020 Olympics

Russia has made its share of headlines lately and it looks like their 2014 Olympic games could have a ripple effect felt for years to come.

Earlier this summer, President Putin signed an anti-LGBT bill into law essentially making it illegal for any Russian citizen (or even tourists visiting the country) to wear "gay propaganda" or proclaim his or her homosexuality in public for fear of receiving fines or being imprisoned.

This is disturbing in its own right, but what makes matters worst is the Sochi Olympics will be held in Russia next year, bringing the country and its anti-gay discrimination directly into the spotlight. The Russian government also stated they will not lift the anti-gay laws for the Olympics, making the climate even more stressful for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Olympians.

Athlete Ally, a non-profit organization which works to help end discrimination and ignorance towards LGBT athletes in organized sports, has turned to social media in hopes of ensuring that future Olympics are held where LGBT athletes are welcomed.

To avoid incidents like those currently taking place in Russia, Athlete Ally has begun a social media campaign where users can use the hashtag #ChooseMadrid to let the International Olympic Committee know their choice for where the 2020 Olympics should be held.

The non-profit is specifically designating principle 6 of the Olympic Charter as a rally point. It reads: “Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement."

On September 7, the IOC will choose the city for the 2020 Olympic games and the top three contenders for the host city are Tokyo, Madrid, and Istanbul. Of those three cities, Madrid is regarded as the most LGBT friendly, with same-sex marriage being legal in Spain since 2005, making it the third country in the world to legalize gay marriage.

When speaking to MSNBC, Olympic diver Greg Louganis, an Athlete Ally Advisory Board member, spoke about the role the #ChooseMadrid campaign could have: “The IOC has an opportunity in September, when the choice for the next Olympic site is chosen. Madrid is the one candidate who is very open and accepting -- take the Olympics to a place where its ideals and the Olympic movement can thrive.”

This summer has already seen it's share of personal protests against Russia, such as gay bars pouring out vodka into the streets. Will the #ChooseMadrid campaign make an impact and force the IOC to consider the host country's stance on LGBT issues before choosing a city for the 2020 games? Only time will tell.

For more on the #ChooseMadrid campaign, click here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/athlete-ally-choosemadrid-olympics_n_3779925.html

Considering how much of a hot topic that this has become, it was discussed a little bit if this could effect the 2020 candidates in any way in another thread. And indeed, out of the three 2020 bidders, Madrid is the capital of a country with a bastion of Gay Rights, where Gays can legally marry. A enormous contrast to Russia.

And with that alone, considering everything that's going on with Sochi 2014 & Russia, Madrid 2020 would have my vote. But is this going to be enough, will it make enough of a difference with all of the other geopolitical factors, especially being so close to the 2020 vote. It might just be enough to push Madrid over the fence this time. We shall see. I want a Rainbow colored Fiesta Opening Ceremonies if that's the case then! :lol:

The pro-Madrid campaign in BA isn't being organised by city officials. No problem with it at all. If some people want to show their support for a certain bid, good for them.

The #ChooseMadrid campaign I'm not feeling though. Different countries progress at different speeds on things like this and at their own pace. The point of the anti-Sochi stance was to put pressure on Russia because it's going BACKWARDS on minority rights, which is obviously really worrying and worth making a noise about. But, whilst they're obviously a one-issue campaign group and have their own interests which they're entitled to shout about, I feel this is moving into the realms of meddling and trying to make their issue THE issue on which to choose an Olympic host. I wonder what Emre, as an openly gay Istanbul 2020 supporter, makes of it, for example.

Edited by RobH

Madrid wasn't winning four years after London, that is why the IOC session was awarded to Denmark because they felt Europe wouldn't win.

I haven't really thought about that before. It seems like a no-brainer to award the IOC Session to whichever continent is hosting the preceding edition of the Games (i.e. Europe to select the host that will succeed London, South America to select the host that will succeed Rio, etc.) Although I have to say that I question whether the identity of the city hosting the IOC session has any impact at all on the outcome of the vote. I can't imagine it does.

I haven't really thought about that before. It seems like a no-brainer to award the IOC Session to whichever continent is hosting the preceding edition of the Games (i.e. Europe to select the host that will succeed London, South America to select the host that will succeed Rio, etc.) Although I have to say that I question whether the identity of the city hosting the IOC session has any impact at all on the outcome of the vote. I can't imagine it does.

Don't forget Singapore 2005. I also noticed that in recent years the host of the IOC SOG vote meetin has gone on to host the YOG.

That's pretty cool I never noticed that pattern before. Though Durban 2011 threw the pattern out of whack, since Sochi won in 2007.

I think you're jumping the gun a little too quickly there SR. As I said elsewhere there's little or no chance that Paris will be bidding for 2024 even if Tokyo does get the nod....again. The reasons are manifold and too numerous to list, mainly economics and political. Also the mood just isn't there any more....