Madrid 2020

* Translate: Those Catalan putas de mierdas are trying to f*ck us over again!

I can't understand WHY Barcelona can't wait till September 8th (just after Madrid defeat...) and launch that announcement. Doing it one month ahead Buenos Aires is very untimely and unnecessary for Madrid. Sad.

It is indecent indeed. Anyhow, I can't find a single reference to this incident in the Spanish media.

And I am happy that the Spanish media are ignoring them. Im not entering in the independentist debate of whether Cataluña should be a country or not. I simply dont care. What I dont like at all is that they use sport as a way to claim whatever they want. Look what happened at the FINA World Championships, where the public made protests at Spanish national anthem. And now this. Dont think for a moment that Barcelona wanted to organize the winter olympics comes after a long period of internal debate. It´s all politics and the ultimate reason is that they want to fuc** Madrid.

Anyway, I think that the Barcelona project looks like a joke and in no way the IOC is going to support a project that clearly is not going to be backed by the Spanish national government or other institutions at a national level. If Madrid dont get the Olympics, all this could change anyway.

And I am happy that the Spanish media are ignoring them. Im not entering in the independentist debate of whether Cataluña should be a country or not. I simply dont care. What I dont like at all is that they use sport as a way to claim whatever they want. Look what happened at the FINA World Championships, where the public made protests at Spanish national anthem. And now this. Dont think for a moment that Barcelona wanted to organize the winter olympics comes after a long period of internal debate. It´s all politics and the ultimate reason is that they want to fuc** Madrid.

Anyway, I think that the Barcelona project looks like a joke and in no way the IOC is going to support a project that clearly is not going to be backed by the Spanish national government or other institutions at a national level. If Madrid dont get the Olympics, all this could change anyway.

Frankly, I can't see why Spanish NOC would support Barcelona 2022. It is a way to delaying Madrid games to 2074 at least... Much before Barcelona hosting again, Madrid has to be supported until it gets it. Very unappropiate moment, independence politics in our out.

Sheikh Ahmad meets Spain''s Heir Apparent

KUWAIT, July 28 (KUNA) -- Chairman of the Association of the National Olympics Committees (ANOC) Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah has met with Spain's Heir Apparent Prince Felipe on sidelines of the international swimming tournament hosted by Barcelona.
Talks between the two sides dealt with issues of common interest, said Hussein Al-Mislem, the first deputy chairman of the International Swimming Federation in a statement to KUNA by telephone from Barcelona.
Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad, during the meeting with Prince Felipe, praised Spain's increasing interest in the sector of sports and youth, namely its hosting of many international championships, noting Madrid's candidacy to host the 2020 Olympic games.
Moreover, he discussed with the Heir Apparent means of boosting cooperation between ANOC and Madrid for service of youth affairs and international Olympic movement.
Al-Miselm, also the Director-General of Olympic Council of Asia, said the Crown Prince thanked Sheikh Ahmad for attending the swimming championship noting his keenness on following up on diverse international sports activities.
Sheikh Ahmad arrived in Barcelona yesterday to attend the tournament. (end) fs.abd.rk KUNA 282132 Jul 13NNNN

http://www.kuna.net.kw/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2325702&language=en

I wanted to ask everybody here what do you think about Madrid or Spain's organizing world championships in the different olympic sports during the last years... if that is a point that we should consider and if it could affect positively to the bid.

Since Barcelona'92, Spain has hosted 31 world championships (only Germany has hosted more, with 32), and in part as a result, Spain's results in many different sports have improve a lot. I think that in a way it shows a compromise with sport over the years and although I dont think it is a major factor, I think that it could benefit the bid.

At the same time, Spain is hosting this year 2 world championships in olympic sports and 4 next year. Japan doesnt organize a world champ since 2011 and Turkey will organize between this year and 2014 4, having organized since 1993, 10 championships in total.

Organizing so many events could also benefit in making stronger relationships with sports deciding making personalities.

What do you think about all this?

Yeah, very weird, especially when the Barcelona mayor himself admits the timing could be considered "indecent".

Indecent or not - it is often the mark of a successful bid. I've read all about Vancouver's small nosies in the lead up to the 2008 vote to remind the IOC that it had an alternative to Toronto.

Barcelona vs. Munich for 2022 - battle of the former Summer hosts to become first Summer-Winter Olympic city. For once, I could not choose - they are both equally exciting.

I wanted to ask everybody here what do you think about Madrid or Spain's organizing world championships in the different olympic sports during the last years... if that is a point that we should consider and if it could affect positively to the bid.

Since Barcelona'92, Spain has hosted 31 world championships (only Germany has hosted more, with 32), and in part as a result, Spain's results in many different sports have improve a lot. I think that in a way it shows a compromise with sport over the years and although I dont think it is a major factor, I think that it could benefit the bid.

At the same time, Spain is hosting this year 2 world championships in olympic sports and 4 next year. Japan doesnt organize a world champ since 2011 and Turkey will organize between this year and 2014 4, having organized since 1993, 10 championships in total.

Organizing so many events could also benefit in making stronger relationships with sports deciding making personalities.

What do you think about all this?

Doesn't really help or hinder Spanish Olympic hopes. For a country your size and its Olympic achievements, Barcelona 1992 is just too recent for another Summer Olympic Games. And precisely, that is why you are getting quite a number of world championships becuz another Summer OGs might not be in the cards for the next 25 years. Now if there were say, 2 Spanish TOP sponsors, it would be a different story -- the way there's a Samsung (which certainly helped PyongChang win 2018); and the way a Panasonic is helpful to Tokyo 2020.

Doesn't really help or hinder Spanish Olympic hopes. For a country your size and its Olympic achievements, Barcelona 1992 is just too recent for another Summer Olympic Games. And precisely, that is why you are getting quite a number of world championships becuz another Summer OGs might not be in the cards for the next 25 years. Now if there were say, 2 Spanish TOP sponsors, it would be a different story -- the way there's a Samsung (which certainly helped PyongChang win 2018); and the way a Panasonic is helpful to Tokyo 2020.

Tokyo 2020 has many corporate sponsors for the bid, as does Madrid. I dont know if you wouldnt call Telefonica a major sponsor, but it is one of the largest telecom companies in the world, it has same level of revenues as Panasonic with the different that Panasonic looses billions of dollars and Telefonica is profitable.

Santander, La Caixa (a top 25 bank in Europe) and many of the largest construction companies in the world are also sponsoring the bid.

But again, I also think the bid has few chances to get the games, but I dont think sponsors are the main problem here.

• Like 1

I was very surprised to read, not only in Baron's post but in other's doubts about sponsorships about the Madrid 2020 bid. It looks like people think that the Spanish financial crisis is mixed with everything with the word money in Spain.

I have looked at each bid sponsors and looked for the size and revenue of each company and this is the result:

- Madrid is the bid with the higher number of sponsors. These sponsors, apart from major Spanish global companies, have revenues in total exceeding 310 billion euros. There are also major international companies sponsoring such as Accenture, PwC and Renault, but I only took revenues generated in Spain to be more objective.

- Tokyo's sponsors, although not as many, have revenues almost the same that Madrid, around 290 billion euros in revenues, with major Japanese companies involved.

- Istanbul bid is the one with the weaker sponsors, with revenues around 60 billion euros in total.

So when talking about sponsors, it seems that Madrid and Tokyo have the advantage.

And again, Im aware of the difficulty of Madrid getting the Olympics, but when let´s not use reasons that are not real. At least all regarding sponsorships, Madrid is doing more than OK.

I was very surprised to read, not only in Baron's post but in other's doubts about sponsorships about the Madrid 2020 bid. It looks like people think that the Spanish financial crisis is mixed with everything with the word money in Spain.

I have looked at each bid sponsors and looked for the size and revenue of each company and this is the result:

- Madrid is the bid with the higher number of sponsors. These sponsors, apart from major Spanish global companies, have revenues in total exceeding 310 billion euros. There are also major international companies sponsoring such as Accenture, PwC and Renault, but I only took revenues generated in Spain to be more objective.

- Tokyo's sponsors, although not as many, have revenues almost the same that Madrid, around 290 billion euros in revenues, with major Japanese companies involved.

- Istanbul bid is the one with the weaker sponsors, with revenues around 60 billion euros in total.

So when talking about sponsors, it seems that Madrid and Tokyo have the advantage.

And again, Im aware of the difficulty of Madrid getting the Olympics, but when let´s not use reasons that are not real. At least all regarding sponsorships, Madrid is doing more than OK.

Deloxley, u miss my point entirely. It's NOT about the local, domestic sponsors. Think larger. The TOP sponsors pay anywhere from $60 million up and that money goes to the IOC for them to do as they please. That pleases the IOC members, and certainly I am sure Samsung's contributions were remembered by IOC members in voting for PC. Panasonic's donations to the IOC will also be remembered in the upcoming vote for Tokyo. Forget all those Santander stuff. That money is just being spent for the Madrd bid -- not to DIRECTLY support the IOC's programmes and how they see fit to spend and spread the big $$. Think about it.

OK, I understand what you mean now.

Most of the top sponsors are american companies except Samsung and Panasonic.

What you say it is true, but considering there are many american companies I would say that the games then would be awarded taking into account what it is best for those american sponsors, dont you think?

So I think that if we look just to sponsorships the real advantage is for Turkey, which is a very large market still to be fully developed.

To be honest, I dont know! but I understood now what you meant by top sponsorships. Thanks for the clarification :-)

The row is an old issue that when either the UK or Spain wants to divert attention use so people talk about something else. And anyway, I dont think Gibraltar is such an important issue that the IOC would vote against Madrid just for that. And anyway, to understand if Gibraltar is an issue for Madrid we have to understand first what is the problem with Gibraltar, but that´s another story.

I dont think Gibraltar would impact more than the recent radioactive spill in Japan or the suspention of 30 something athletes in Turkey, not to talk about their political situation there. I think all the three bids are not very lucky with so several problems and issues at the last moment.

Gibraltar is an issue between Spain and the UK. Only the British votes would be at risk for Madrid over this issue, and in all honesty I doubt it'll even be on the minds of anyone when it comes to the vote. It's SUCH a minor issue really. Spain's issues are the same as they ever were - finding a convincing 'why' so soon after 92, convincing the IOC smaller is better, and talking their way around Fuentes.

Singer Alejandro Sanz becomes the 50,000th volunteer for Madrid 2020.

Madrid’s bid to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic games has enlisted Multi Grammy winning Spanish singer Alejandro Sanz as their 50,000th official volunteer. This figure shows the huge level of support that the Spanish capital is receiving.

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/50557/singer-alejandro-sanz-becomes-the-50000th-volunteer-for-madrid-2020

Singer Alejandro Sanz becomes the 50,000th volunteer for Madrid 2020.

Madrid’s bid to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic games has enlisted Multi Grammy winning Spanish singer Alejandro Sanz as their 50,000th official volunteer. This figure shows the huge level of support that the Spanish capital is receiving.

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/50557/singer-alejandro-sanz-becomes-the-50000th-volunteer-for-madrid-2020

i guess penelope and antonio were too busy not caring, like the rest of the world?