Madrid 2020

I can say now that I am very, very surprised, as there a a few articles around that say pretty much the same as this one.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/07/03/madrid-princely-show-wows-ioc-race-still-open/

I am really curious to know what the team from Madrid pulled off their sleeve to do this. This might as well turn the race for 2020 upside down.

Does the IOC rather get lavishly splurged with Royalty presentations, or with the actual Games themselves! :-/

Madrid promises a thrift-style, cheap austerity Games. Tokyo already has 4.5 Billion stashed away in the bank ready for the Games. Istanbul pledges 19.5 Billion to organize them, plus a new horizon.

So if the IOC is still all about show & tell, then what will it be. Prince Felipe walking around shaking hands, or a truly splashy Olympic Games in the Far East or at an exotic locale where east meets west. Take your pick. It shouldn't be that hard.

Does the IOC rather get lavishly splurged with Royalty presentations, or with the actual Games themselves! :-/

Madrid promises a thrift-style, cheap austerity Games. Tokyo already has 4.5 Billion stashed away in the bank ready for the Games. Istanbul pledges 19.5 Billion to organize them, plus a new horizon.

So if the IOC is still all about show & tell, then what will it be. Prince Felipe walking around shaking hands, or a truly splashy Olympic Games in the Far East or at an exotic locale where east meets west. Take your pick. It shouldn't be that hard.

when you consider that the IOC is chock-full of social climbers who can parlay that handshake with a prince into a season's worth of gala invites and society page mentions and you'll begin to see the complications. these are people who want a prince to like them today. right now, they don't give a **** about throwing paris under the bus in 4 years.

and as for tokyo and istanbul? lol.

Madrid is gaining some momentum two months before the voting, and this can't be harmful for the bid. Anyway, it doesn't mean that Madrid will win for sure. Just gaining momentum.

What to do from now on till September? IMHO, just keep on playing the Tokyo already-hosted card and the "we are the only European city that are still on the run no matter what you tell us, because me REALLY do want to host... not like others".

It shouldn't be that hard if you were one of the biased voters. Fortunately for Madrid, you're not.

I'd be interested in seeing what low-cost Games would look like, provided they maintain that "Olympic aura". The Olympics are too expensive and extravagant.

I also think its significant that Madrid's public support remains high despite the economy. That suggests we won't see demonstrations in Madrid that are similar to what's happened in Rio.

Didn’t PC2018 have a similar path:
-multiple committed bids
-follow-through on commitments made after each bid
-steady financial investment along the way

….then being rewarded perhaps in large part due to their diligence and keeping past commitments?

Additionally in a world where Olympic bid budgets ALWAYS balloon to double, triple or more than stated in the bid, wouldn’t that put Madrid about where other bidders say they want to be?

It seems like the right time politically to contrast the outrageous and criminal excess of the IOC and Russian Federation at Sochi, and other recent overblown budgets like Beijing, Athens, London, and not sure if Vancouver ended well after the billion dollar village loss. Rio??

Madrid can deliver enormously glamorous games in a historic European capitol city with most everything is in place that can host outrageously seductive and passionate games in glorious climate among beautiful people on a budget that would totally re-set the “out of control” perception of the IOC. The IOC could sidestep blame and distance itself from the outrageous-excess’s of the past, and after Madrid they can begin again new as an organization focused on responsible legacy.

Edited by paul

^talk about a totally bombastic post. "Enormously glamourous Games" is such an oxymoron with a thrift-budget plan, unlike Tokyo's 4.5 billion already stashed away.

And the difference with PyeongChang is that they're a new WINTER horizon. Something that Madrid would not be in the Summer category. I've mentioned plenty of times that Spain should really focus all their strengths on a winter bid instead. Their argument in that scenario would hold so much more.

Plus, PyeongChang the first two times, almost clenched the majority of the voters in the first round. Something that Madrid hasn't been able to do in their first two bids. They always seem to muster only about a 1/3 of the votes & remain stagnant thereafter.

It shouldn't be that hard if you were one of the biased voters. Fortunately for Madrid, you're not.

And fortunately for Tokyo & Istanbul, your Madrid-bias a$s ain't either. :-P

^talk about a totally bombastic post. "Enormously glamourous Games" is such an oxymoron with a thrift-budget plan, unlike Tokyo's 4.5 billion already stashed away.

And the difference with PyeongChang is that they're a new WINTER horizon. Something that Madrid would not be in the Summer category. I've mentioned plenty of times that Spain should really focus all their strengths on a winter bid instead. Their argument in that scenario would hold so much more.

Plus, PyeongChang the first two times, almost clenched the majority of the voters in the first round. Something that Madrid hasn't been able to do in their first two bids. They always seem to muster only about a 1/3 of the votes & remain stagnant thereafter.

And fortunately for Tokyo & Istanbul, your Madrid-bias a$s ain't either. :-P

Why use such hard language? Don't be naive, please.

Seriously, Cindy. The only "naive" one here is you. You accuse anyone who's not on the Madrid-bandwagon of being "biased", but you're just as guilty of it when it comes to Tokyo & Istanbul. So please stop being such a hypocrite.

Seriously, Cindy. The only "naive" one here is you. You accuse anyone who's not on the Madrid-bandwagon of being "biased", but you're just as guilty of it when it comes to Tokyo & Istanbul. So please stop being such a hypocrite.

You are the hypocrite. Just confess you DON'T LIKE Madrid, as you have proved all among the forums. You like to write as you were well weighted but you are not. Can you find one single post where I ban Istanbul or Tokyo? No.

And I don't accuse "anyone". I accuse you. Be fair.

Whatever. It's not like you're "well weighted" yourself. "Just confess" that you're NOT "Italian". Someone who is so hostile like you, bcuz you THINK that I don't like Madrid can only come from a true chavaunistic persona like yourself.

I'm not the only person on these boards who hold the same views about Madrid. It's not a matter of not liking Madrid, its a matter of being objective & not subjective, like you're doing.

If you've read all of my posts, then you'd see that I've mentioned that Madrid is a beautiful city & would make a wonderful host someday. But considering all the circumstances of this race, I don't view as 2020 as that time. Or that they should focus on a winter bid instead, they have a better arguemet. But you choose to be accusatory instead.

If you want to see it differently from your Madrid 2020 "Italian" glasses, then fine. Whatever. But I'm done with you & your erroneous accusations. No time for it & you're just being silly now.

"Be fair", Cindy.

Whatever. It's not like you're "well weighted" yourself. "Just confess" that you're NOT "Italian". Someone who is so hostile like you, bcuz you THINK that I don't like Madrid can only come from a true chavaunistic persona like yourself.

I'm not the only person on these boards who hold the same views about Madrid. It's not a matter of not liking Madrid, its a matter of being objective & not subjective, like you're doing.

If you've read all of my posts, then you'd see that I've mentioned that Madrid is a beautiful city & would make a wonderful host someday. But considering all the circumstances of this race, I don't view as 2020 as that time. Or that they should focus on a winter bid instead, they have a better arguemet. But you choose to be accusatory instead.

If you want to see it differently from your Madrid 2020 "Italian" glasses, then fine. Whatever. But I'm done with you & your erroneous accusations. No time for it & you're just being silly now.

"Be fair", Cindy.

Have a nice day.

Spanish IOC member questions Istanbul bid

HAROLD HECKLE

Published: Today

MADRID (AP) - A Spanish IOC member questioned why Turkish bid leaders have failed to show images of women wearing headscarves in Istanbul's presentations for the 2020 Olympics.

While declining to answer questions about security in Turkey on Wednesday, Marisol Casado instead raised the issue of women who wear head coverings in the predominantly Muslim country.

Istanbul is competing against Madrid and Tokyo for the 2020 Games, which will be decided by the IOC on Sept. 7 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The three cities made closed-door presentations to IOC members last week in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Casado says "there was one question that was never addressed, and that is the number of women who wear the veil. There was never an image of a woman wearing a veil in any of their presentation videos."

AP

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_307134/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=d34PiZiF

"Be fair", Cindy.

Please, don't visit Madrid. We don't need US citizens like you. Thank you!
Anyway, I would like to see the faces of IOC members in 2020 when Madrid's economy has grown, once the Olympic Games to Istanbul were given.
I repeat again. Tokyo will fall on the first round!!! Why nobody understand that??

Good catch. /\/\!!

(Of course, high-born Spanish women wear the mantillas on formal, folkloric occasions.) ;)

Istanbul didn't show real images... if they want to host the Olympic Games to stop wearing the headscarf for women, it would perfect but they won't. Everybody knows many women wear headscarves in Turkey.
The mantilla is not a religious manifestation, and it is not the same as a headscarf. What an ignorance! -_-

The mantilla is not a religious manifestation, and it is not the same as a headscarf. What an ignorance! -_-

A head covering is a head covering. Duh. It used to be when Catholic women had to wear a veil in church. Now...who's being IGNORANT? :rolleyes:

If I were you, I'd change your screen name here. You're actually living up to it.

If I were you, I'd change your screen name here. You're actually living up to it.

Yeah, really. What a troll this 'bimbo' is. It has no clue whatsoever.

And they don't want U.S. citizens to come there simply bcuz they have a far more objective, & rational opinion than they do. Such "Olympic Spirit'! They don't deserve to host the Olympics if the majority of their citizens are as unwelcoming & nasty as she is. What an oxymoron. :rolleyes:

Yeah, really. What a troll this 'bimbo' is. It has no clue whatsoever.

And they don't want U.S. citizens to come there simply bcuz they have a far more objective, & rational opinion than they do. Such "Olympic Spirit'! They don't deserve to host the Olympics if the majority of their citizens are as unwelcoming & nasty as she is. What an oxymoron. :rolleyes:

Of course we don't want visitors like you. I prefer to mantain people who like being polemic, who are not able to reason, and who love criticizing with out arguments as far as possible! I think that the hospitality of Spains people is a good point for the bid, however you will find 'unwelcoming and nasty' people everywhere. :):)

¿Objective? please don't make me laugh. Since the first moment you've been criticizing Madrid, many times with out arguments, you are just against Madird, that's not being objective!!

PD: I'm not objective because i want the games in Madrid, however i recognise the good things of Tokyo and Istanbul ( you don't do so with MDD) :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I've pointed out that Madrid would make a good host someday, I just don't find that 2020 is that time, considering all the circumstances & their arguments. And I'm not the only one that shares that view on these boards. So I guess that all of us are "not" being objective, according to your pro-Madrid self. There's at least a few others on here, yet you always choose to attack me for it.

And the fact that you even admit yourself that you're not objective bcuz you're all for Madrid just demonstrate that you can't see/or choose not to see constructive criticism when it comes to your city. You have a conflict of interest, & therefore will be more bias than objective & naturally just lash out on those you "think" are being unfair. Just lay off already. Why don't you go discipline your fellow compatriots instead. I don't care what you & your fellow bias cohorts think. Like I said, I'm not the only one on these boards that has those views about Madrid. So go & attack them as well, & stop solely chastizing me for it.

Of course we don't want visitors like you.

And yet, you want to "welcome the world" in 2020. Oh, your sheer irony isn't even laughable! I wouldn't want to visit a non-objective person like you & your fellow bias cronies on here anyway. :rolleyes: