Madrid 2020

What does Madrid 2020 offer new? a compact bid which will show all the world amazing venues with a typicall Spanish accent:

Yawn. That's it? Do you know how many other bids in the past have offered the same "compact, amazing venues" concept & lost? It's not something innovative nor narrative telling. And if that's the best you got, then you're in for a rude awakening come Sept. And besides, Tokyo offers even a more compact plan with amazling venues as well. So I see no big differentiator there in that aspect alone.

• Like 1

More exciting! If Madrid lost i will like to see the games in Tokyo

That's not surprising, given you've just spent several pages contorting the truth in an attempt to undermine the Istanbul bid.

The truth is that Istanbul is the emotive, new frontier option; and Tokyo is the reliable, safe option. There is no room for Madrid in this equation. Everything it puts on the table can be matched and bettered by Tokyo and Istanbul.

That's not surprising, given you've just spent several pages contorting the truth in an attempt to undermine the Istanbul bid.

The truth is that Istanbul is the emotive, new frontier option; and Tokyo is the reliable, safe option. There is no room for Madrid in this equation. Everything it puts on the table can be matched and bettered by Tokyo and Istanbul.

So when we want to know the "truth" we should read only your posts? I guess he undermines Istanbul the same way you do with Madrid. Or otherwise explain why Madrid is not a reliable or safe option.

Will i think there are not a clear "wow-factor" like Río 2016. They presuaded de members saying that southamerica have never hosted a games, and they did very well. But Istanbul doesnt have this factor. Is it Europe? Asia? Doesnt matter, it is not enought. Istanbul has weakness that cant solve:

- Syria with the civil war is an important problem for the security.

- Armenia and Georgia never will acept a games in Turkey because the Armenian genocide. And France, Italy, Swiss and Germany have mistrust about them because this question.

- Turkey broke the relations with Israel after the conflict of the humanitaryan boat.

- everyone knows the bad relations between Greece and Turkey are really bad.

Armenia and Georgia never participated in a games organaized by Turkey. They are not potencial countries in the games, but the rest of the world never accept this situation in XXI century.

However, Tokyo has a good challance if they can get the european and asian vote. Tokyo will be in the second round with Madrid, which has:

- american vote, not only the latin-american; USA and Canada want to bid for 2024 and prefer Madrid.

- Asian votes from contries which doesnt have good relations with Japan as: South Korea and China.

- European votes from countries which wont bid in 2024.

- Spanish Royal Family has strong and powerful relations with the arabic and others muslim countries. Madrid will take votes from them.

The winner city will get the games for a few votes. In my opinion 2016 was clear that Río win, but 2020 election is so exciting.

sorry but,do u have any information about int.relations?

north korea says a week ago ceasefire is over. means can attack without warning to s.k

georgia has noting to do with turkey

İsrael apologize 3 days ago from turkey.

greece sign a protocol , that backs İstanbul for 2020 games

france italy and germany prefers istanbul or tokyo rather than madrid for 2024 race.

and UK clearly says they are backing up Turkey in the race.

sorry but,do u have any information about

france italy and germany prefers istanbul or tokyo rather than madrid for 2024 race.

and UK clearly says they are backing up Turkey in the race.

Neither than those countries will back any european bids. Some of them have plans 2024.

Mayor Botella went on to say that one expert had described the Caja Magica as “the best tennis stadium in the world”. Despite this, she said it is “under-utilised because of the crisis.” “When we look back in a few years time, we will realise just how profitable the Caja Magica is.”

I can't really understand all the complaints about the underuse of the Caja Mágica. I mean, it's a tennis complex! It was built to host a specific tournament once a year, and that's what it does, although from time to time it also hosts important international championships from other sports (for example, the handball worlds two months ago). I don't think similar venues such as Roland Garros or Wimbledon are used more than the Caja Mágica.

So when we want to know the "truth" we should read only your posts? I guess he undermines Istanbul the same way you do with Madrid. Or otherwise explain why Madrid is not a reliable or safe option.

Don't put words in my mouth. I have never said Madrid is an unsafe or unreliable option. As I have repeatedly stated, I have no doubts of Madrid's ability to be a fantastic Olympic host, I'm just highly skeptical that 2020 is the right time for it to be doing so, just by the simple fact that there are two other bids that are arguably far superior in terms of what they are differently offering the IOC. Why should the IOC 'suffer' an austere Olympics in a country that hosted as recently as 1992, if it doesn't have to? If there are other options that are new, exciting, cashed up and reliable?

The amount of blind emotive rhetoric coming from the Madrid supporters on this site in the past week is nauseating.

Don't put words in my mouth. I have never said Madrid is an unsafe or unreliable option. As I have repeatedly stated, I have no doubts of Madrid's ability to be a fantastic Olympic host, I'm just highly skeptical that 2020 is the right time for it to be doing so, just by the simple fact that there are two other bids that are arguably far superior in terms of what they are differently offering the IOC. Why should the IOC 'suffer' an austere Olympics in a country that hosted as recently as 1992, if it doesn't have to? If there are other options that are new, exciting, cashed up and reliable?

The amount of blind emotive rhetoric coming from the Madrid supporters on this site in the past week is nauseating.

In the same post you just said you have no doubt that Madrid could be a "fantastic Olympic host" and then went on to ask why should the IOC "suffer an austere Olympics" It really seems to me that you don't like the Madrid bid and you don't like seeing people supporting it on here. What else do you expect from Madrid supporters other than support?

Please get over yourself and go post on Istabul's thread if all you care to contribute here are constant attacks on Madrid and the members supporting the bid. Your point that you don't think Madrid should host because of the economic crisis has been made...many many times. Thank you.

It IS NOT your job to criticize people for their support however "blind" and "emotive" it may be. You're irritating as hell when you do that.

Para los españoles, es un resentido, nada más. Y no hay que prestarle atención cuando solo trata de atacar.

Wow. Looks like Madrid isn't out of the race. Maybe we will see a two rounds of voting instead of the one overwhelming majority i was predicting.

September 7th might be interesting after all.

That's what some thought with Annecy 2018, too. Especially when they were making their final presentations, how so many on here were getting so impressed with those final preps & thinking, "boy, I think that they might be able to pull this off". And look, in the end Annecy just got a mere 7 votes.

That's what some thought with Annecy 2018, too. Especially when they were making their final presentations, how so many on here were getting so impressed with those final preps & thinking, "boy, I think that they might be able to pull this off". And look, in the end Annecy just got a mere 7 votes.

Well, Annecy had somebody like 'Tulsa' pulling for them. I don't think Madrid 2020 has one quite like him. :rolleyes:

Well, that Davos guy seems to be doing a pretty good job, though. And yeah, how could I forget all about Tulsa. Never mind that it was finally PyeongChang's time (the bid you also supported). That France had already hosted 3 Winter Olympics & the last one as recent as 1992. But yeah, Tulsa was the main culprit. :-/

In the same post you just said you have no doubt that Madrid could be a "fantastic Olympic host" and then went on to ask why should the IOC "suffer an austere Olympics" It really seems to me that you don't like the Madrid bid and you don't like seeing people supporting it on here. What else do you expect from Madrid supporters other than support?

Please get over yourself and go post on Istabul's thread if all you care to contribute here are constant attacks on Madrid and the members supporting the bid. Your point that you don't think Madrid should host because of the economic crisis has been made...many many times. Thank you.

It IS NOT your job to criticize people for their support however "blind" and "emotive" it may be. You're irritating as hell when you do that.

Para los españoles, es un resentido, nada más. Y no hay que prestarle atención cuando solo trata de atacar.

I'm not questioning Madrid supporters themselves, but rather the ridiculous undermining of the other bids right up to the level of "Tokyo shouldn't host 2020 - there might be an earthquake". This insecurity is an outcome the Madrid bid itself- because as a bid it doesn't really bring a great deal to the table - but just glosses up solutions to overcoming the problems faced by a potential Madrid Olympics in 2020.

I have stated here and in other threads numerous times that I believe Madrid would host a fantastic Olympic Games if given the chance - I just don't think 2020 is the right time for that to happen. I actually think that this is pretty obvious. Madrid probably would have hosted an Olympic Games that were as good - and if not, better - than the ones Barcelona gave in 1992. When the economy improves, and enough time has passed, Madrid would quite likely have a decent shot sometime after 2032 or maybe even later.

As Istanbul's track record shows, the pursuit of an Olympic Games for some cities have be a long an arduous road.

I've been to Madrid many times and I totally loved it, however I think it just lacks that sex-appeal or wow factor that the IOC is always looking for.

I've no doubt that Madrid would host some really great games, and I would be really happy if they were chosen come September, but I think that the IOC will prefer a bigger extravaganza other than the "reasoable spending" proposed by Madrid. But in the end, it's all geopolitics, i'm sure that all the countries that plan to bid for 2024 are more than willing to get European bids out of the way to make their path to the olympics easier, so they might end up voting for Madrid.

The counter to that though, is I'm sure the IOC would like to see many more bids for 2024 than the mere 3 that they wound up with for 2020 & 2018. Europe would certainly make the bulk of that for 2024 than any other continent. The more bids they have to work with, the more exciting the race becomes & better quality options the IOC has to choose from. So that would mean voting for Tokyo, or to a lesser extent, Istanbul, for 2020.

Madrid is a very logic choice, full of spirit. Istanbul is more exciting for me but traffic is a mess, and Tokyo is too soon for Asia if they will have Pyeongchang, so it is a boring choice.

Istanbul traffic? Do you really think this will go unregulated during Games time? What about the tens of billions of USD Istanbul is investing in infrastructure - regardless of 2020.

As for it being "too soon" for Tokyo after 2018 - "too soon" are not two words Madrid supporters should be throwing around to make their bid more appealing. Europe has hosted back to back Games on many occasions, as recently as 2004/2006 and to a lesser extent with 2012/2014.

Asia is more than entitled to stage 2018/2020 consecutively, given its size.

Edited by runningrings
  • Like 1

Istanbul traffic? Do you really think this will go unregulated during Games time? What about the tens of billions of USD Istanbul is investing in infrastructure - regardless of 2020.

As for it being "too soon" for Tokyo after 2018 - "too soon" are not two words Madrid supporters should be throwing around to make their bid more appealing. Europe has hosted back to back Games on many occasions, as recently as 2004/2006 and to a lesser extent with 2012/2014.

Asia is more than entitled to stage 2018/2020 consecutively, given its size.

Traffic jams were the main problem in past bids, and still is a problem. If they can make some changes and invest on public transportation and the third airport will be a reality, then perfect. Istanbul could be an amazinh host.

Too soon was Madrid's past bid, New York bid in 2012, and even Beijing 2000 and the outcome was the same: fail.

^Not only that but 2018 is a WINTER Games & in a totally DIFFERENT country than Japan. If we want to talk about "too soon", out of the 3 bidders, Spain has hosted the SUMMER Olympics the most recent in 1992. Madrid & it's supporters shouldn't be throwing that card around.

Traffic jams were the main problem in past bids, and still is a problem. If they can make some changes and invest on public transportation and the third airport will be a reality, then perfect. Istanbul could be an amazinh host.

Too soon was Madrid's past bid, New York bid in 2012, and even Beijing 2000 and the outcome was the same: fail.

I wasn't referring to NYC or Beijing- so I'm unsure as to what they have to do with the fact Spain hosted the Summer Olympics as recently as 1992.

As for traffic in Istanbul, it is an issue, but given that the Games will be held in summer, and there will be measures put in place, I see it being an issue that can be overcome within the 7 years of organisation .

Yes, is too soon for Spain but in this race I think it doesn't matters since all of the bidders have issues. Madrid's advantage could be that is good choice for those who want Paris out of 2024 race, which is a big number of voters.

How many is a "big number of votes"? What are you basing this on. On the contrary, blocking Europe for 2024 means less credible options for the IOC to pick from. Given that both 2018 & 2020 had only 3 bidders, I don't see that the IOC want to continue that trend of very low bidding interest.