Madrid 2020

Winning bid would restore Spanish pride: Samaranch

Madrid winning the right to host the 2020 Olympic Games would restore pride to Spain, boost the morale of the Spanish people and also create much-needed jobs, Spanish International Olympic Committee member Juan Antonio Samaranch told AFP on Monday.

The 53-year-old, son of the late long-time IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch, added a Madrid Games would present the Olympic Movement with an efficient new model for the global sporting showpiece in the 21st century.

Madrid, which is bidding for the third successive time having finished third for the 2012 Games and runners-up to Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 renewal, is seen by the bookmakers as the outsider of the three candidates.

The Spanish captial, favourites Tokyo - who are the only one to have previously hosted the Games in 1964 but who finished behind Madrid in the 2016 vote - and Istanbul will learn their fate in Buenos Aires on September 7 when the 100-plus IOC members vote.

Samaranch, an engineer by training but a banker by profession, said by phone from Madrid they were not asking the IOC to save a country in the midst of a dreadful financial crisis but, were they to vote them as hosts, they would engineer a revival in the country's fortunes.

"Madrid is a rare case where the majority of the investment and sacrifices have already been made," said Samaranch, who sits on the elite IOC Executive Board.

"The previous two bids honoured their promise in that, despite sadly not winning the Games, they still built the infrastructure. Thus we have the hotels, the ring roads, the high speed train link and the airport as well as 28 of the 35 venues.

"A winning bid would restore pride to the nation, boost the country's morale and create jobs.

"The IOC members' mission is not to revive Spain but a vote in our favour would have an effect that we would appreciate internally."

Easing the unemployment rate would be most welcome as it has risen to unprecedented levels in Spain.

Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy's government is forecasting an end-2012 unemployment rate of 24.6 percent, with a decline to 23.3 percent in 2013.

But the OECD economic body has forecast that unemployment will continue to climb and reach 26.9 percent in 2014.

Samaranch, though, said that there were signs that the reforms introduced by the Rajoy government were beginning to have an impact.

"The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times and the Economist are changing their tune a little bit," he said.

"The WSJ had a report last week where they said the government had been right not to ask for the rescue package from the European Union and IMF and that Spain has introduced some of the necessary reforms without asking for the bailout.

"Although we are in dire straits things are working a little better.

"Economic circumstances can change. Look at London when they won their economy was strong and by the time they hosted them it had gone the other way."

Samaranch, married with four children, said Madrid's message was clear to the IOC.

"We won't ask them to save Spain but tell them the way we can help in the current environment is not leaving a useless legacy such as stadia that never get used again and make sure that this is an efficient new model for the 21st century Games.

"Effectively this is the way where the Olympic movement is going."

Samaranch, who admitted he had been surprised at the enthusiasm and popular support for a third successive bid, said it was perplexing to see how quickly the country's fortunes had declined.

"We were a wonderful country five years ago with a strong economy and then all of a sudden it all changed," he said.

"We in the Madrid bid need to jump start that economy, to provide the spark for the country's revival."

Samaranch, who said Spain's history of hosting sporting events meant it was part of the country's DNA, said winning the Games would not mean anything special because of who his father was.

"Being his son I am very partial about what he did for the IOC and I do recognise his achievements," he said.

"However, we are not asking the IOC based on his memory. He fought very hard for the 2012 and 2016 bids but it wasn't to be. We have him in our memories and is a source of great pride.

"But this bid is about building for future generations, not the past."

AFP

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/330798/winning-bid-would-restore-spanish-pride-samaranch

Last Saturday I went to the Caja Mágica/Magic Box for the Men's World Handball Championship that's taking place in Spain this month, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the venue. I had heard some bad reviews of it mainly because of its VIP boxes that move away the grandstand and the "real fans" from the court, but at least from where I was I had a perfect view of everything and although it's true that the seats are not as close as in other similar arenas, they're not as far as it may look on TV either. Anyway, I don't think this is a problem for the Olympics, as tennis is not a sport in which the crowds are constantly cheering on the athletes.

• 2 weeks later...

Madrid 2020: Bid chief Blanco gives support at PASO summit

February 7– Alejandro Blanco, chairman of Madrid 2020, and Theresa Zabell, CEO

for International Relations, are currently in Jamaica attending the

Extraordinary Assembly for Pan American Sports Organisations (PASO) at

the invitation of the President of PASO Mario Vazquez Rana.

Jose Perurena, a member of the International Olympic Committee, is

also in attendance at the summit. Perurena’s attendance displays the

importance Madrid 2020 places upon the cooperation with the Olympic

family in the Americas and his support for Madrid’s bid.

“We are very proud to share experiences with the Pan American sports

family,” Blanco said at the summit, attended by more than 200 delegates

representing 41 National Olympic Committees. “It is a pleasure to see

President Rana again and the President of the Jamaican Olympic Committee

Michael Fennell, as well as other friends at this important events.

Blanco has travelled extensively throughout the Americas on behalf of

the IOC in the past few months, sharing experience and advice with the

National Olympic Committees of Panama, Bolivia, and Ecuador.

“This island has given the world some of the best athletes on the

planet and we hope that being on Jamaican soil will inspire us in the

race to be picked as the host city for 2020,” Zabell, a gold

medal-winning sailor at the Barcelona and Atlanta Games, said.

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/49988/madrid-2020-bid-chief-blanco-gives-support-at-paso-summit

• 2 weeks later...

Simon Clegg to advise Madrid’s 2020 bid

Former Ipswich Town chief executive Simon Clegg has been appointed by the City of Madrid to serve as a consultant for the Spanish capital’s bid for the 2020 Olympic Games.

As chief executive of the British Olympic Association (BOA) from 1997 to 2008, Clegg helped to run political and PR campaigns for London’s successful bid to stage the 2012 Olympic Games. He became a main board director of the London bid and subsequently Locog, the Games’ organisers.

Victor Sanchez, chief executive of Madrid 2020 and secretary general of the Spanish Olympic Committee, said of Clegg’s appointment: “Simon remains a hugely respected figure within the Olympic movement. His experience of managing British athletes at 12 Olympic and Olympic Winter Games, six as Team GB’s chef de mission, including the best British performance for 100 years in Beijing coupled with his deep involvement in the bid process, means that he brings to us an almost unique perspective.

“We are sure that he can make a really positive contribution to our project over the final few months as we prepare for the vote in Buenos Aires in September.”

Clegg added: “I am delighted and flattered to be invited to join the Madrid 2020 team. They have an excellent bid founded on utilising a significant number of existing venues and have made really positive enhancements to their previous consecutive bids for the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games.

“The indisputable economic impact of London 2012 to the UK demonstrates just what a positive financial driver hosting the Games can be for a country and I look forward to helping Madrid secure a positive outcome over the remaining months of the campaign.”

http://www.sportspromedia.com/movers_and_shakers/simon_clegg_to_advise_madrids_2020_bid

• 3 weeks later...

Madrid 2020 prepares for IOC Evaluation Commission visit

50060-olympic-image1.jpg

March 11 – Madrid’s streets have been adorned with posters promoting

the Madrid 2020 Bid and its volunteer campaign by the Madrid City

Council today, ahead of the International Olympic Committee Evaluation

Commission’s visit from 18-21 March.

The volunteer campaign, complete with the slogan “Necesitamos tu

manera de querer,” or “We Need Your Way of Loving,” targets more

volunteers than the 20,000 already committed. The incentive for

potential volunteers is the opportunity to play a part in the Olympic

dream.

“Our way of loving is what binds us and together our love is stronger

than anyone’s,” the council and Bid Committee said in a joint

statement.

The Evaluation Commission conducted its visit of Tokyo last week and

will also head to Istanbul later this month before the final decision as

to which city will host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games is

announced in Buenos Aires in September.

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/50060/madrid-2020-prepares-for-ioc-evaluation-commission-visit

“Our way of loving is what binds us and together our love is stronger

than anyone’s,” the council and Bid Committee said in a joint

statement.

Aside from the slightly alarming undertone of racial superiority - what on Earth does this even mean? A lot of hot air coming from camp Madrid.

JAS' Jr.'s presence in setting the exit for Wrestling shows how much influence he and the Spaniards might still have within the IOC. So Madrid is rebranding itself in a bizarre way -- but I wouldn't count them out.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if Tokyo were dropped in the first round? I'd be happy with that.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, anything but last for Madrid would clearly highlight the internal politics of the IOC. How can it really do any better when it is competing against one of the most highly organised and reliable global cities (Tokyo) and the city that marks the collision of Europe and Asia, with a predominantly moderateIslamic population and Europe's most robust economy.

How can Madrid expect any higher than third when Spain has one of the most shattered economies in the world (which latest predictions say will be some 20 years to recover from), and has hosted as recently as 1992.

Well, anything but last for Madrid would clearly highlight the internal politics of the IOC. How can it really do any better when it is competing against one of the most highly organised and reliable global cities (Tokyo) and the city that marks the collision of Europe and Asia, with a predominantly moderateIslamic population and Europe's most robust economy.

How can Madrid expect any higher than third when Spain has one of the most shattered economies in the world (which latest predictions say will be some 20 years to recover from), and has hosted as recently as 1992.

Well, that's it in a nutshell.

That's a very bizarre slogan.

It doesn't sound that strange in Spanish. The "way of loving" is a recurring phrase especially in love songs or poems, but I don't think that's the most appropriate translation here. "Querer" also means "want" or "wish", and the slogan is a call for volunteers who want to take part in the bid, so I'd say any of these other two meanings suits the campaign better than "love". In any case, I agree that translations make it look weird.

It doesn't sound that strange in Spanish. The "way of loving" is a recurring phrase especially in love songs or poems, but I don't think that's the most appropriate translation here. "Querer" also means "want" or "wish", and the slogan is a call for volunteers who want to take part in the bid, so I'd say any of these other two meanings suits the campaign better than "love". In any case, I agree that translations make it look weird.

Well that's good to hear. It reminds me a bit of Chicago's "stir your insides" though.

I wouldn´t underestimate Madrid

I wouldn´t underestimate Madrid

That is an advertisement for a British accounting and investment firm. It is a great advertisement, and presents some interesting facts about Spain, but its not exactly a reliable source as it is a commercial advertisement with its own private interests.

Spain is a great country, with great potential beyond the current crisis - but the reality is, in the context of THIS discussion, it is bidding for an Olympic Games. I do not think it is the most suitable candidate, when you have a country like Turkey which is CURRENTLY thriving and booming, and has never held the event before.

Madrid hopes frugal Olympic bid will win over IOC

MADRID (AP) -- With Spain mired in recession and buckling under deep austerity cuts, Madrid faces the tough task of convincing the IOC it has the resources to host the 2020 Olympics.

The IOC's evaluation commission will be in the Spanish capital next week to examine venues, finances, safety and other aspects deemed critical to securing the multibillion-dollar event.

Alejandro Blanco, president of the Spanish Olympic Committee, said the key is to show that Madrid's spendthrift approach is better suited for the games than that of fellow finalists Istanbul and Tokyo.

''The games can and should be organized under a 'smart' concept of optimizing resources,'' Blanco told Spanish sports daily AS. ''The major investment is already done and the remainder can be recovered easily through good organization.

''The important thing to tell the world is that the Olympics can be held in a dignified manner without throwing money away.''

The bid committee says that 28 of the 35 venues are already built, and that its budget to finish preparations is $1.9 billion, plus an additional $192 million for security.

''No other bid can beat ours as far as venues and their proximity to one other,'' Blanco said. ''But we also have to underscore our cost controls. The adjustment of our budget to the present circumstances of the world is what was needed.''

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy will greet the 14-member panel Monday, with Crown Prince Felipe providing closing remarks in support of Madrid on Thursday.

The commission already has visited Tokyo and will head to Istanbul from March 24-27. Its report will help the 100-plus IOC members select the host city by secret ballot Sept. 7 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Madrid is bidding for a third straight time after losing to London for the 2012 Olympics and Rio de Janeiro for 2016.

The other major concern for Madrid is Spain's tarnished reputation on fighting performance-enhancing drugs.

The government recently announced a tougher anti-doping law that it hopes will quell fears about its stance on doping. The bill has been fast tracked to make it through parliament by June or July before the IOC's final vote.

Meanwhile, the Operation Puerto trial into blood-doping in cycling continues next week in a Madrid court. Its outcome could influence IOC members.

''I think Madrid is in a good position,'' said Jose Ignacio Wert, Spain's sports minister. ''I will show (the IOC) the government's commitment to the Madrid candidacy, but they will also see firsthand the important steps we have made in our infrastructure and the firm commitment we have made to fighting doping.''

Barcelona hosted the 1992 Olympics. Those games were a huge boost to the city's stature as a budding tourist hot spot and helped usher Spain further into the world community after its seclusion during the Franco dictatorship that ended in the late 1970s.

Madrid now wants to emulate Barcelona's success, and hopes the games can clean up Spain's tattered image as a beleaguered state.

The Madrid bidders say the games would help Spain's struggling economy, providing jobs and a stimulus for investment in a country that is in the midst of a second consecutive recession and with unemployment at 26 percent.

Spain has been in economic distress since its property market imploded in 2008. With tax revenues plummeting, the government slashed spending to avoid having to ask for a painful bailout like Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Cyprus. This has led to a steady stream of citizen protests in defense of public services.

The IOC visit was to coincide with a strike by Madrid's transit workers, but they agreed to call off the strike Friday.

AP

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/madrid-hopes-frugal-olympic-bid-172046145--oly.html