Madrid 2020

I'm confused with what happen in Spain, they hit by this crisis, but la-liga is one of the most expensive football leagues on the earth, if only, madrid and barca player donate 20% from their salary, will that be better for their economy ?

Actually, as of January 1, 2012, Spanish football clubs owed 752 million euros to Revenue. There have already been some Spanish clubs from other sports that have disappeared because of money issues, even basketball and handball teams, which are also very popular sports here. However, it appears football is special and our governments have shown no intention of forcing them to pay off their debts... -_-

Actually, as of January 1, 2012, Spanish football clubs owed 752 million euros to Revenue. There have already been some Spanish clubs from other sports that have disappeared because of money issues, even basketball and handball teams, which are also very popular sports here. However, it appears football is special and our governments have shown no intention of forcing them to pay off their debts... -_-

I'm not talking about the clubs, although I know Madrid and Barca is very rich too, but I'm talking about the player, how much is Ronaldo wage ? 20 millions POUND in a year, that just his wage, not included other income, how about Messi ?? Spain is strange, some people -read footballer- are very rich, while the others is deep in economic crisis...

I'm not talking about the clubs, although I know Madrid and Barca is very rich too, but I'm talking about the player, how much is Ronaldo wage ? 20 millions POUND in a year, that just his wage, not included other income, how about Messi ?? Spain is strange, some people -read footballer- are very rich, while the others is deep in economic crisis...

Well, yes, certain football players in Spain are very rich people, but in the end that's the private money they've earned as professionals, so I'd rather not go into that. What annoys me the most is that those who call the shots in this country are doing what they like with public money, and that IS the money that should be helping our economy recover.

I'm not talking about the clubs, although I know Madrid and Barca is very rich too, but I'm talking about the player

Well, you've got your priorities the wrong way around then. The players earn what they're paid and would earn similar amounts if they played for any of Europe's super-clubs. That's their market-value and that's fair enough.

What you should be looking at if you're worried about football and the financial crisis in Spain is the clubs.

Read this: http://www.independe...is-7575791.html

Edited by RobH

Well, you've got your priorities the wrong way around then. The players earn what they're paid and would earn similar amounts if they played for any of Europe's super-clubs. That's their market-value and that's fair enough.

What you should be looking at if you're worried about football and the financial crisis in Spain is the clubs.

Read this: http://www.independe...is-7575791.html

Well, yes, certain football players in Spain are very rich people, but in the end that's the private money they've earned as professionals, so I'd rather not go into that. What annoys me the most is that those who call the shots in this country are doing what they like with public money, and that IS the money that should be helping our economy recover.

Mmh... Agree about that ? and yeah, now I look into Madrid and Barca, both of them could pay their player with unbelievable wages, are they making any action or donation regarding to the situation of the Spain ?

Mmh... Agree about that ? and yeah, now I look into Madrid and Barca, both of them could pay their player with unbelievable wages, are they making any action or donation regarding to the situation of the Spain ?

Tikus, one has nothing to do with the other. The world of professional sports operates in an entirely different sphere than the Olympics. It's like going to the old-fashioned grade school compared to an entirely impersonal, online 'university' conducting classes and granting 'degrees' online.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I think you have it exactly backwards. The Olympics are supposed to help the economy and jobs, not eliminate them.

For stable economies.

The Olympic Games should NOT be used as a crutch for countries who are in an economic rutt, especially ones that have hosted as recently as 1992. It is an important global event that has an emphasis on expanding to new frontiers. Should that be dropped to run to the rescue every time Spain's economy dives? It's arrogant.

• Like 1

I think you have it exactly backwards. The Olympics are supposed to help the economy and jobs, not eliminate them.

How do you create jobs when you promise to use mainly existing venues? And who pays the workers who have all these new jobs? If you're staging the Olympics on a shoestring budget, then you're not going to have a vast payroll. I don't see where all this supposed job creation is going to come from.

• Like 2

How do you create jobs when you promise to use mainly existing venues? And who pays the workers who have all these new jobs? If you're staging the Olympics on a shoestring budget, then you're not going to have a vast payroll. I don't see where all this supposed job creation is going to come from.

Exactly.

The "shoestring budget" is still billions of Euros.

The point isn't that the economy is the only reason to host the games. Just that it can be a positive.

But it sounds like Madrid is saying that the economy IS the primary reason for them to host the Games. I'm not hearing any other consistent message from them.

The "shoestring" is a comparative one. If other Games didn't generate tons of new jobs, how can Madrid hope to do so with less funds?

Madrid still optimistic for 2020 despite Spain's crippling economic crisis

November 1 - The Madrid bid team is adamant. The Spanish capital should continue to bid for the 2020 Olympics despite the financial crisis afflicting the country. With the Government announcing spending cuts and tax rises of 52 billion dollars in the 2013 budget, and with 52.9 percent of the Spanish youth without work, the worst figures in Europe in August, one would have thought that the country would not have wanted the additional financial burden of hosting the Games.

Not so, says Theresa Zabell, a leading official in the Madrid bid. She points to several reasons why it should continue its candidature against its rivals, Tokyo and Istanbul. She says: ”First, there are reasons for economic optimism. Then, hosting the Games will generate employment among the young, who do not deserve the suffering they are undergoing.

“Third, the lion’s part of our investment and infrastructure has already been done. And we need to profit from that investment that we have made. There is also the optimism and enjoyment that hosting the Olympics will do.”

She says that she understands the concerns both inside and outside Spain. “However, we must not forget that we are not aspiring to stage the Olympics next year. They will be in 2020 and Spain has never been in a bad economic situation for eight years. If our economic crisis continues for two years, that is being pessimistic.”

Madrid certainly has the necessary airport, road and transport infrastructrure. 27 of the 36 required venues also exist already and two of the remainder will be temporary.

Madrid, the only major European capital never to have staged the Games, owes its existing facilities to the fact that this is the third successive time that it has bid. Beaten for the 2012 Olympics, when Madrid might well have been rewarded, if it, rather than Paris, had opposed London in the final round, it was a distant runner-up to Rio de Janiero for 2016. But with each attempt, completed building works have improved its prospects.

Zabell, the Chief Executive Officer of International Relations for Madrid 2020, says that she sympathises with Rome, which withdrew last February from the race for the Games after the Italian President Mario Monti said that it was “irresponsible” to continue in the light of the nation’s ailing economy. She says: ”We got on well with our Italian friends and I felt really bad for them.” But she points out that unlike Madrid, Rome had virtually to “start from zero” to construct a lot of the necessary facilities.

Still Madrid has two particular projects, which would have to be completed if it were to be awarded the Games when the IOC votes on September 27, 2013 in Buenos Aires. One is the 17,800 Olympic Village and the other is the media and broadcast centre. It is planned that the Village would be sold off for private housing but as London found with its Olympic Village, this did not bring in as much money has had been expected.

The budget for building or renovating venues is 2.4 billion dollars but, as London and every other host city, has found, the difference between the figure in the bid book and the reality can widen appreciably.

Over the next year, Madrid will have to convince the IOC members of its financial ability to stage the Games. As the IOC evaluation report concluded: ”Careful monitoring of Spain’s progress in economic issues is needed to assess further the future risks of delivery.”

http://www.sportsfea...economic-crisis