Madrid 2020

Am I miscounting how many times Madrid has put forward an application to host an Olympic Games? I thought this is going to be their FOURTH attempt. It did bid for 1972, 2012, and 2016 so far. As this current bid is for 2020, this would be the fourth time, if it becomes a candidate city later on.

Am I miscounting how many times Madrid has put forward an application to host an Olympic Games? I thought this is going to be their FOURTH attempt. It did bid for 1972, 2012, and 2016 so far. As this current bid is for 2020, this would be the fourth time, if it becomes a candidate city later on.

No, you're right, this is Madrid's fourth bid.

• 2 weeks later...
Madrid cuts 2020 Olympic bid budget

The Spanish Olympic Committee (COE) says it will cut the cost of its bid to host the 2020 Olympics by up to 40 percent.

That's compared to its previous spending on a failed attempt to get the 2016 Games.

Though the COE did not release figures, the committee plans to cut 30 to 40 percent from the previous $50.4 million budget, leaving it somewhere between $30.2 million and $35.3 million.

COE head Alejandro Blanco did not say how the budget would be split between the public and private sectors. With Spain's economy in trouble, Blanco says: "We need the Games ... it would mean a lot."

On Tuesday, the mayor's office founded the Madrid 2020 Society, which will manage the summer games bid

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9RAJAJ81.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Roma was the first candidate released their bid logo (although i don;t know why, but in their website and in the wikipedia the logo doesn't appear), Tokyo is the second, and yesterday was Baku. and Doha has a plan to release their logo on dec 23rd... from what I hear, Madrid launch a competition for this logo (same as their 2016 bid), so is there any idea when will Madrid release the logo ?

• 2 weeks later...

Roma was the first candidate released their bid logo (although i don;t know why, but in their website and in the wikipedia the logo doesn't appear), Tokyo is the second, and yesterday was Baku. and Doha has a plan to release their logo on dec 23rd... from what I hear, Madrid launch a competition for this logo (same as their 2016 bid), so is there any idea when will Madrid release the logo ?

As far as I know, the Roma 2020 logo was designed for the Italian national competition against Venice. During this national bid, the logo was also shown on the website.

• 2 weeks later...

Madrid 2020 sailing and football venues have been unveiled today.

Like for the 2016 bid, Valencia is the city chosen to host the sailing events.

Football cities and stadia are Barcelona (Olympic Stadium), Córdoba (Nuevo Arcángel), Málaga (La Rosaleda), Valladolid (José Zorrilla) and Zaragoza (La Romareda), apart from Madrid.

All these cities are connected to Madrid by plane and high-speed rail.

Madrid 2020 sailing and football venues have been unveiled today.

Like for the 2016 bid, Valencia is the city chosen to host the sailing events.

Football cities and stadia are Barcelona (Olympic Stadium), Córdoba (Nuevo Arcángel), Málaga (La Rosaleda), Valladolid (José Zorrilla) and Zaragoza (La Romareda), apart from Madrid.

All these cities are connected to Madrid by plane and high-speed rail.

...so no more Palma de Mallorca. Good decision! I think it was one of Madrid's weakest points to propose a football venue not connected by train or streets. I'm really looking forward to Madrid's logo and mini bid book!

Yeah!!! What i like is that small cities arent football venues like the past bid, where i guess Badajoz was a venue...Mcht i would love to see Bilbao :( but anywas what matters is that Camp Nou is a venue ;)

Sure? Athan said it would be Barcelona (Olympic Stadium), so no Camp Nou sad.gif...

El Centro Acuático, situado junto al anterior [del estadio], también avanza a buen ritmo.(http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/1284632/0/juegos-olimpicos/madrid-2020/ana-botella/)

:blink: Have I missed something? I remember looking at some photos showing no difference of this venue to the state of 2009... well, perhaps they restarted work without telling the public.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if Madrid no win this race... we need made other project more impressive. for example the Juan Carlos I park, very nearly than the olympic ring in this bid and the IFEMA pavillion (press center and other sports venue) is perfect for the olympic park, is more big than the present. the airport is just behind and has subway.

This is de map with the park.

http://maps.google.es/maps?q=parque+juan+carlos+I&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:es-ES:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=es&sa=N&tab=wl

Welcome aboard!

I had never thought of using Juan Carlos I as the Olympic Park. I don't know that area much so I don't really know if it would be possible to build all the venues there, but I think you have a very interesting point. It's very close to the city center (around 15/20 minutes by metro) and it's true IFEMA pavillions are right there, so there would be even more sports venues together in the area of the Olympic Stadium, not to mention that those current non-existing venues could also be built in the Park. I guess there could be up to 18 sports in that cluster, with almost all of the rest around Casa de Campo park. That would really be an ideal plan! :D

However, original plans for 2012 were having La Peineta as the Olympic Stadium and works on the aquatics center have already started. The bid committee also said there would be no major changes from previous bids, so that's what we should expect for 2020 :P

The Juan Carlos I park was built for the european culture capital in 1992, there is sculture, lakes... I think this is the best place... maybe "Casa de Campo" in the lake zone, with the Madrid Arena, Theme Park and zoo nearly. And view the city center. for me the bid need more thing impressive, no only be the best tecnical... rio and london no are the best... but they are impressive.

Hi Athan, have you found the another finalist from logo competition ? Or at least i want to see the finalist from local competition that been held to push Madrid bid for 2020 race, the one the the winner is on your profile pict, do you have the finalist from this competition ? Thank you

Just found them! You can check it out on the logo and website thread ;)

The Juan Carlos I park was built for the european culture capital in 1992, there is sculture, lakes... I think this is the best place... maybe "Casa de Campo" in the lake zone, with the Madrid Arena, Theme Park and zoo nearly. And view the city center. for me the bid need more thing impressive, no only be the best tecnical... rio and london no are the best... but they are impressive.

The problem with Casa de Campo is that it's not much bigger than where La Peineta is (so it wouldn't really make a difference), and since travelling by metro from Nuevos Ministerios to either Lago or Campo de las Naciones takes approximately the same time, I would stick to Juan Carlos I park. Having half of the events of the Olympics there and almost all of the other half near Casa de Campo would be compact as never before!